Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#3555704 - 04/13/12 05:06 PM Re: Need for Speed: The Run [Re: Ahmad]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Lol, I remember when ProStreet gave my old PC the seizures. But yeah, I used to play NFS II SE, I think it was, and loved it.

However, a turning point came when I played NFS Porsche Unleashed. I had to re-learn how to drive those cars, and by "drive," I mean keyboard-and-mouse drive. I was mid-teens during that time, IIRC. The new driving model plus being able to buy, customize, paint and tune your own car made me more "involved" than just racing around madly on a track. Plus any damage on the car you had to pay for in credits, so no-damage driving was actually rewarded. From then on, I liked any iteration that let you "own" a car and tune it more than just changing the skin. Because of that, I never really liked NFS HP. It was good and fun, but not like MW.

I do hope TR goes on sale though, I'd like to give it a go.

- Ice
Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

#3555739 - 04/13/12 05:41 PM Re: Need for Speed: The Run [Re: Ahmad]  
kludger Offline
Hotshot
kludger  Offline
Hotshot

SE Pennsylvania, USA
NFS2SE was one of my favorite games ever, I spent so many hours perfecting my runs through traffic.

NFS Porsche Unleashed was awesome too, probably the last NFS that I truly spent tons of time with, part of that is because I discovered much better sims since, but also it seems like the series went much more gimmicky after that.

Looking forward to picking up NFS:The Run soon when I see it on sale to see how it matches up, the game engine from BF3 is one of the things I was looking forward to with it before having to boycott it due to EA's douchebaggery on the Porsche license (glad they gave in on that eventually).

i7-7700k@4.5ghz, GTX1080Ti,BenQ XL2420G-g-sync,Oculus Rift
#3555742 - 04/13/12 05:45 PM Re: Need for Speed: The Run [Re: Ahmad]  
LugnutUSA Offline
LugnutUSA  Offline

VA, USA
Timely news: http://www.racedepartment.com/2012/04/ea-interested-in-need-for-speed-movie/

Electronics Art is interested in producing a movie based on the Need for Speed name and fame. The film is said to include fast paced car-related action and should offer a similar experience to the top grossing Fast & Furious movies, which debuted in 2001.

A script has already been written and offered to various movie studios including Warner Bros, Sony and Paramount. According to various sources Paramount appears the most eager of the bunch and is said to have made a multi-million offer already in exchange for exclusive rights to the household name and script.

The only studio that is not the least bit curious is Universal. The producers behind the Fast & Furious titles are not interested in the script and would rather focus on continuing their own car branded movie. A sixth version is currently being worked on and is expected next year.

EA has acquired the services of the brothers George and John Gatins. The two writers are most famous for their work in Real Steel; a 2011-release set in the future where robot boxing has replaced football as the world’s primary sporting event. The two will be responsible for rewriting the script to better adapt to the big screen, in conjunction with production responsibilities in agreement with EA.

The company’s recent release: Need for Speed the Run, would lend itself perfectly for a move to the big screen. The racer is one of the few games, which feature a full-fledged story with actors, plot twist and plenty of high-speed chases. It is still unknown whether the script holds any similarities to the game or whether it’s an entirely new story going solo.

Given Hollywood's track record with video game movies, I cannot think of a more terrible idea for EA to pursue. About the only thing worse would be a 1940's era NFS that somehow involves Nazis.

Active Sims: rFactor 1 & 2
#3555761 - 04/13/12 06:11 PM Re: Need for Speed: The Run [Re: LugnutUSA]  
Weaponz248 Offline
Hail To The King Baby!!
Weaponz248  Offline
Hail To The King Baby!!

Statesboro GA USA
Originally Posted By: LugnutUSA

Given Hollywood's track record with video game movies, I cannot think of a more terrible idea for EA to pursue. About the only thing worse would be a 1940's era NFS that somehow involves Nazis.

Zombie Nazis at that!

XBOX Live Tag/Steam/PSN: Weaponz248

#3555790 - 04/13/12 07:09 PM Re: Need for Speed: The Run [Re: Ahmad]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

I watched Real Steel and while I approached movies with an open mind, that one was MEH. Even from a kid's standpoint wherein you dream of finding a discarded robot with "hidden" qualities that could make it a winner... meh. I cannot imagine how they can make a kick-ass NFS movie.

Regarding NFS PU, I think I "collected" the entire lineup of cars 3x. I had a spreadsheet that listed all the cars and printed it out and ticked the cars off as I got it on my garage. I would buy my "prized cars" new and would collect the others via the used-cars lot, fix them, etc. Sometimes I would buy two, fix them, hold on to them for a few years, then sell one for a tidy profit. Lol! When I got to the Porsche supercar at the end, tweaking the gears for a fast Autobahn run was great!

- Ice
#3555845 - 04/13/12 09:09 PM Re: Need for Speed: The Run [Re: - Ice]  
marley Offline
marley  Offline

Taiwan
Originally Posted By: - Ice
Lol, I remember when ProStreet gave my old PC the seizures. But yeah, I used to play NFS II SE, I think it was, and loved it.

However, a turning point came when I played NFS Porsche Unleashed. I had to re-learn how to drive those cars, and by "drive," I mean keyboard-and-mouse drive. I was mid-teens during that time, IIRC. The new driving model plus being able to buy, customize, paint and tune your own car made me more "involved" than just racing around madly on a track. Plus any damage on the car you had to pay for in credits, so no-damage driving was actually rewarded. From then on, I liked any iteration that let you "own" a car and tune it more than just changing the skin. Because of that, I never really liked NFS HP. It was good and fun, but not like MW.

I do hope TR goes on sale though, I'd like to give it a go.

Interestingly, I also liked PU the most back then, and I find TR the closest to it in some ways. One thing is you are not focused on cops anymore. Sure there are cops, but that's not the focus, and it's always best to lose them as quickly as possible. I seriously hated purposefully prolonging pursuits just to get points - what's the point of running away without running away?

The other thing is the scenery. After PU there's much less looking at beautiful scenery while racing fast, except HP2 and HP2010. But in TR I feel the scenery is again a respected entity that I can admire, instead of some ugly city/town that just serves as the backdrop.

I also like TR physics a lot. I feel it has the charm of PU's semi-sim approach, and cars themselves actually drive different, have quirks and demand attention. I would say that the combination of semi-sim, beautiful scenery and the simple pure focus on going fast (instead of gaining rep, stars, money, pursuit time, cost to state blah blah) is THE experience I have never had since PU.

#3555857 - 04/13/12 09:39 PM Re: Need for Speed: The Run [Re: Ahmad]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Does anyone remember if MW had a multiplayer aspect?

As for the cops in MW, the fun bit was gaining enough bounty (running away without running away) to achieve your goal and then still being able to shake the cops afterwards. I think it went up to about 2million bounty points or so, and at that point the cops threw everything at you, heck even the helo tried to crush you IIRC. The scariest were the SUVs that would ram you head on! Being able to get away with so much heat on you was an achievement in itself, even though it wasn't racing per se.

I also loved to win the opponent's cars... I would re-do the race if I didn't get the pink slip. Then when I got their cars, I would strip it to stock and sell everything --- no in-game impact except a few credits but I liked the idea of "insulting the defeated racer" for talking smack biggrin

- Ice
#3555875 - 04/13/12 09:58 PM Re: Need for Speed: The Run [Re: - Ice]  
Ahmad Offline
Ahmad  Offline

Victoria, Australia
As for the cops in MW, the fun bit was gaining enough bounty (running away without running away) to achieve your goal and then still being able to shake the cops afterwards. I think it went up to about 2million bounty points or so, and at that point the cops threw everything at you, heck even the helo tried to crush you IIRC. The scariest were the SUVs that would ram you head on! Being able to get away with so much heat on you was an achievement in itself, even though it wasn't racing per se.

Yea, when the heat got to level 5 or 6 they threw absolutely everything at you. It was hectic! It was really fun stuff, and I enjoyed doing the challenges too. I completed Most Wanted to 100%, including the Rap Sheet.

The "problem" with the NFS franchise is that it's gone and done too many different things in the past (a good thing IMO, minus the poor quality games), with Exotics, then Tuners, Cities, Cops, you name it.. they've done it. So it would be hard to bring out an NFS game these days without disappointing a portion of the fanbase.

I was sorely disappointed when ProStreet and Undercover came out. Shift was also semi-disappointing, and I never really considered it as part of the "Need for Speed" series. When Hot Pursuit came out in 2010, I loved it and was glad that the series was back on the right track. Now with The Run, I'm absolutely stoked. Hoping for more good things.

I've got the need... the need for speeeed!!

Messenger adverts annoying you? Get rid of them and much more with A-Patch.

facebook.com/SimHQ

Find me @ Facebook, Twitter, or YouTube
#3555880 - 04/13/12 10:16 PM Re: Need for Speed: The Run [Re: Ahmad]  
Ahmad Offline
Ahmad  Offline

Victoria, Australia
I just posted this video for their Community Challenge:

facebook.com/SimHQ

#3555895 - 04/13/12 10:53 PM Re: Need for Speed: The Run [Re: Ahmad]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Hehehe... I remember getting the bounty goal, then FAILING to get away from the cops. Disappointed for losing all that "hard work," but also kinda fun looking forward to doing it again. Sometimes when the heat was off and I was bored, I'd find a cop stopped at an intersection and just RAM HIM to get things started. Whheeeee!!!!

ProStreet was kinda fun though I hated hearing "my name" so many times like the announcer was my girlfriend. Way too easy to get to the last level too, again MW was more fun. Undercover was... bleh. Didn't capture my interest. Shift and Shift 2 looked interesting but seemed to want a wheel, wouldn't play nice on my keyboard, so I skipped those too. Did HP get released 2010? Almost 2 years now? Sigh. Finished it twice then don't miss it now.

TR's graphics look really cool though. Do you get to use spike strips or other toys too aside from the nitrous? How about that slow-mo time thing?

- Ice
#3556057 - 04/14/12 09:00 AM Re: Need for Speed: The Run [Re: - Ice]  
Ahmad Offline
Ahmad  Offline

Victoria, Australia
TR's graphics look really cool though. Do you get to use spike strips or other toys too aside from the nitrous? How about that slow-mo time thing?

Nope, there are no toys or gimmicks in this one. It's all about the racing. The only thing you have is the nitrous, and a slipstreaming effect.

facebook.com/SimHQ

#3556117 - 04/14/12 01:14 PM Re: Need for Speed: The Run [Re: Ahmad]  
Wedge Offline
Wedge  Offline

Is the game played only outside of the car (third person) or is there an option to sit behind the wheel and play?

#3556154 - 04/14/12 02:57 PM Re: Need for Speed: The Run [Re: Ahmad]  
Ahmad Offline
Ahmad  Offline

Victoria, Australia
No cockpit cam. Only bumper, hood and 3rd person.

facebook.com/SimHQ

#3556509 - 04/15/12 12:26 PM Re: Need for Speed: The Run [Re: Ahmad]  
MrWags Offline
MrWags  Offline

Don't let the pink fool ya and she's a tough critic and she loves The Run. My buddy's come over and want to race and I say get past her and you can have me....

So far I have raced very few:) It's genetics folks and if you could have watched her the first time you would agree, the ability to drive by the seat of your arse imho is something you are born with and simply cannot teach.

But to prove to me and the rest of the world she's still a women:

Damn Kids

If you'll notice she's got her thumb on the Nos while texting smile

Told ya this house was full of racers.

Have A Great Sunday
Mr Wags

#3556537 - 04/15/12 01:53 PM Re: Need for Speed: The Run [Re: Ahmad]  
Ahmad Offline
Ahmad  Offline

Victoria, Australia
Haha that's awesome.

If you have this on Origin please add me (bokuwahmz), only have 1 person to compare times with.

facebook.com/SimHQ

#3556826 - 04/15/12 11:24 PM Re: Need for Speed: The Run [Re: Ahmad]  
Ahmad Offline
Ahmad  Offline

Victoria, Australia
My platinum medal runs with no resets in the Coastal Rush challenge series:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1B4E86CA535B11B2

The last 2 were particularly difficult to do without crashing, and fun!

facebook.com/SimHQ

#3558890 - 04/19/12 11:09 AM Re: Need for Speed: The Run [Re: Ahmad]  
Ahmad Offline
Ahmad  Offline

Victoria, Australia

facebook.com/SimHQ

#3559291 - 04/19/12 09:53 PM Re: Need for Speed: The Run [Re: Ahmad]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Awesome!

- Ice
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.