Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 31 of 33 1 2 29 30 31 32 33
#3526954 - 02/27/12 12:42 PM Re: WitE: Grand Campaign **** [Re: Para_Bellum]  
purolator Offline
purolator  Offline

The Ruhr, Germany
Thanks a lot, PB. I missed these AARs of yours. thumbsup

Btw, has anyone heard anything from comrade Stalin?

And regarding real life, good to hear that your girl is recovering.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3527087 - 02/27/12 03:21 PM Re: WitE: Grand Campaign [Re: Para_Bellum]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Para, it is quite clear that the Soviets are finished. I am eagerly watching for just what it takes for the game to register your victory.

As I said a while back, after Alberich, it was essentially over. There would still be some hard fighting, but it was done.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#3527108 - 02/27/12 03:46 PM Re: WitE: Grand Campaign [Re: Para_Bellum]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Germany
I estimate I can achieve a total victory within the next 2-3 weeks. I'm at 285 victory points right now and the game will end with the USSR surrendering at 290 VP.

And yeah, after operations Alberich and Hagen the Red Army was pretty much done for. In about 4 weeks I destroyed ~ 30 (!) tank corps, the Russians just couldn't recover from that blow, especially since I managed to launch these operations at the very beginning of the '42 campaign season. With the bulk of its armoured forces destroyed the Red Army basically became a static force, easily cut apart by my fast-moving Panzer and MotInf divisions.

BTW yesterday night I've read through the whole AAR, quite interesting how it all played out. I still shudder to think of those dark days in January '42 when my lines were close to a breaking point...

I'll post another update later.

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm

#3527489 - 02/28/12 02:08 AM Re: WitE: Grand Campaign [Re: Para_Bellum]  
Heretic Offline
Heretic  Offline

GER
Thanks for the overview, Para.

It's amazing how all the weapon systems in the world just can't make up for experience and organisation.

#3527743 - 02/28/12 01:45 PM Re: WitE: Grand Campaign [Re: Para_Bellum]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
Good to hear your lady is coming along well Para thumbsup

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#3531225 - 03/03/12 11:08 AM Re: WitE: Grand Campaign [Re: Para_Bellum]  
csThor Offline
csThor  Offline

Germany
Just a little headsup. There's a new addition to WitE which was released yesterday. Since my time is too limited to start something on the scale of the 1941-45 campaign (or any of the larger campaigns) I went ahead and bought the expansion since it's focused entirely on smaller scenarios. But ...

I am honestly and completely disappointed. The selection of scenarios is slanted in favor of the russians and the force ratio, time limitations and VP allocation is even worse than that - it's blatantly and oviously set in favor of the russians. Not only the AI (even on easy) gets movement and combat values that the real Red Army didn't get until 1944 (they had real problems with distributing information quickly enough to make use of them) so that any kind of attack that doesn't happen in 1941 ends in the equivalent of the tar baby of US folklore.
For example I just played the Cherkassy scenario in which my forces were greatly outnumbered, in a horrible state and virtually incapable of doing anything unless I did something drastic. Well, I ended up withdrawing quickly into defensible positions, merged units which were virtually dead to get some units with at least a bit of combat value and managed to avoid loosing any unit to encirclements. Essentially I stabilized a dramatic situation but the darn victory conditions gave the reds a "major victory" simply because they held towns I could no longer hold. In that particular situation holding onto locations simply for "game values" vs rescuing all of your forces ... Which one should be rated higher, hmmm?

Sorry, but this game has gotten a lot worse. I was already miffed at the german OOB in a straightjacket and the inaccessibility of the production system to the german player, but the game design decisions are getting worse and far more one-sided. screwy

Intel i7 960 @ 3.2 GHz - ASUS Rampage III Gene Republic of Gamers - 6GB RAM OCZ CL7 XTC Platinum PC3-12800 - ZOTAC GeForce GTX 480 - 64GB Crucial RealSSD C300 SATA II - 1TB Western Digital WD1002FAEX SATA II - Creative Soundblaster Xi-Fi Titanium - Windows 7 Professional 64bit
#3531537 - 03/03/12 09:42 PM Re: WitE: Grand Campaign [Re: Para_Bellum]  
Lazardus Offline
Lazardus  Offline

Switzerland
Hey Para,

Great AAR. Was really enjoying it throughout last autumn and this winter. Couldn't believe what you've done all last year.
Also glad to hear your best half actually does better. Became a little concerned when I didn't hear anything from you and everyone was speculating about.

I also got myself WitE and played it with "easy" adjustments. I think you've done not only a formidable AAR but also played the game extremely well.
As I just finished on 25.5.1944 with my 'total' major victory.

After taking Moscow and Lenigrad in 16 turns (tried to test the 14 turns hypothesis, presented earlier here - but I think it's wrong). A quite mild 1941/42 winter with oddly low levels of casualties came 1942, where I experienced a stalemate on a quite huge scale.

The red army increased up to 6M soldiers within spring and any attempt to cut deep into their troops was countered with a 'deep defense'. Before a breakthrough was made within one round to encircle troops they simply threw everything at it. It was frustrating as I came no further then Gorky. At the same time I had trown in 1941 all tank groups at the operation Taifun so that the eastern part of Ukraine wasn't occupied before 1943. Actually sat at the dnjpr for about a year.

When then I realized that I was about to loose if I was to counter the soviets by either earlier tactics or simply sitting still, I changed over to Mansteins proposal to take the blackblow offensive. Basically you open up pockets which the russians in their attemt to exploit happily take on whilst your panzergroups wait north and south of it. Once the extended forces then fill the pocket you cut it off. Three times had to do it, to bring the Soviet army back to reasonable levels of 5m. First one however was at 600'000 casualties. This, I guess was the turning point. With a cascading row of offensives during 1943 from gorky southwards to the djnepr line, I was able to "roll up" their front each round. Casualties were small because of the smaller size of pockets, but constistent.

Keeping their troops to 5m was the result but hard enough because their production gives them 200k each round during 1943. So if you don't keep them occupied with constant offensives you loose the stand. During 1942 so I was able to cut off their whole south front which was nailed to the djnepr line by quickly going to rostov. They start trying to hold the front so if you think of smart combinations you can cut off vast pockets again. Krim fell thereafter.

Since then in winter 1943/44 I was sure they would regain harder strength, with new tanks and artillery formations as well as organized units all on corps level, I decided to keep the push even though it might have been uncoordinated. Sevastopol fell and Krasnodar was taken. Huge pocket was formed around north of rostov nearly touching stalingrad. It fell the round afterwards as it was uncovered (ok it was on easy level).

Then the caucasus was taken as north of it one panzer group as well as one army from Krasnodar unified. Only around the mountains the front remained.
During Feb 1944 the Soviets sneaked around north of my finish front which wasn't covering the polar sector. It was cut off during two following round eliminating the threat but I had nearly no forces to clean the pocket.

Then during spring until may 1944 the remaining offensives were a northward cascade starting from stalingrad. Their front dismantles slowly as the panzergroups now southbound can take over over the steppes area's they simply don't have forces anymore to cover such a long front (Also there's only astrachan and the ural delta city to give away). It's interesting because you don't have enough forces as well, but somehow you have a little more since 1943 was a constant streak of pocket battles.

The point number is around 270-280 at that stage but victory came close only when I was closing the last big pocket from the southward tank groups and the infantry based around gorky (Imagine 1943 as a giant swing door sweeping through the eastern ukraine/southern russia SSRs).

It was keeping me entertained for long as some forces touched the eastbound edge of the map around the steppes. Also the huge built up of the soviet army keeps you entertained for long. Haven't sat straight playing for long like this.

Here my forces and casualties numbers to compare (you will like this ;-))

German forces
Troops 3.6m
Guns 39k
AFV 5k
Planes 3.4k
Allied forces around 800k (you loose all italians through 1943, thank god they never covered my ass anywhere).

Soviet Union
Troops 5.2m
Guns 67k
AFV 13.6k
Planes 26k

Casualties
Germany
Troops 2.7m
Guns 38k
AFV 12k
Planes 2k

Soviet Union
Troops 16.2m
Guns 320k
AFV 47k
Planes 30k

You see by their losses, that 1942 and 1943 they recover so quick if you let them. Thus all my best regards to your achievement.

#3537595 - 03/13/12 09:28 AM Re: WitE: Grand Campaign [Re: Para_Bellum]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
...surely mopping up the rest of the Soviet Union can be done before the autumn... right?

Wink, wink
Nudge, nudge
Say no more...

#3541797 - 03/20/12 04:16 AM Re: WitE: Grand Campaign [Re: Para_Bellum]  
Paleo_nard Offline
Paleo_nard  Offline

I would prove my assertion of 290 Victory Points in 14 turns. However, good manners dictates that maps/game screens ONLY relating to Para_Bellum's After Action Reports be posted here. In other words, no hijacking or appearance of hijacking will be made on this thread until and/or after Para_Bellum has finished his campaign.

Hopefully, the following story may be only pushing the "limits:"

American POWs are standing in formation, in a German Stalag.
All are bobbing their heads from side to side while saying "tick - tock, tick - tock..."
All except one guy in the back row just tilting his head to one side while saying, "tick - tick - tick..."
The furious monocled German Commander notices him and quickly gets into this guys' face and says,
"Vee haf vays of makink you TOCK!!" banghead exitstageleft

#3544783 - 03/25/12 12:51 PM Re: WitE: Grand Campaign [Re: Ssnake]  
Zero Niner Offline
Zero Niner  Offline

Singapore
Originally Posted By: Ssnake
...surely mopping up the rest of the Soviet Union can be done before the autumn... right?
Well we're already into spring...

#3544954 - 03/25/12 08:05 PM Re: WitE: Grand Campaign [Re: Para_Bellum]  
Topcat Offline
Topcat  Offline

Paleo_nard, I for one would be very interested in seeing this as I firmly believe the German Army could have finished the Soviets before winter 1941. A good book on the subject you might want to read is "Hitler's Panzers East" by R.H.S. Stolfi. Moscow and it's rail yards and network were the keys to victory.

#3545741 - 03/27/12 12:47 AM Re: WitE: Grand Campaign [Re: Para_Bellum]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
...Para...?

#3548101 - 03/31/12 08:51 AM Re: WitE: Grand Campaign [Re: Para_Bellum]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
Para!

Nooo
ooooooooooooooo!

Visit the home of Steel Beasts!
...the ultimate armor sim...
#3548224 - 03/31/12 05:01 PM Re: WitE: Grand Campaign [Re: Para_Bellum]  
Heretic Offline
Heretic  Offline

GER
Worst case scenario: He knocked up his girlfriend, was forced to a shotgun wedding and is now shopping for new furniture (all day every day) instead of waging wars on his PC.

#3548242 - 03/31/12 06:10 PM Re: WitE: Grand Campaign [Re: Para_Bellum]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
It's that damn cumgespurten at the root of this problem I tell you.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#3549025 - 04/02/12 05:08 AM Re: WitE: Grand Campaign [Re: oldgrognard]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Don't know how many of you have WITE but the latest update has really improved the AI.

As for Para he's really left us hanging here. Lemme guess, he's gonna show back up and tell us his dog ate his HDD. neaner

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#3549041 - 04/02/12 06:58 AM Re: WitE: Grand Campaign [Re: Para_Bellum]  
EAF331 MadDog Offline
XBL: LanceHawkins
EAF331 MadDog  Offline
XBL: LanceHawkins
Hotshot

Oslo, Norway
No, but he is on vacation right now IIRC, and his work just lost their biggest client after 7 years. I'd guess WITE isn't too high on his priority right now...

#3549641 - 04/03/12 08:29 AM Re: WitE: Grand Campaign [Re: Para_Bellum]  
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Para_Bellum  Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Germany
Yep, just got back from a holiday. Things are finally quieting down a bit again, so far it's certainly been an interesting first three months of the year. I really hope to finish this campaign this week. Will post another update this evening (German time). Probably will need another turn or to two for victory.

yep

Until then: chicks with guns, STAVKA spy edition. I have no idea what all that sniggering about "size does matter, honey" meant...

Last edited by Para_Bellum; 04/03/12 01:32 PM.

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm

#3549686 - 04/03/12 12:44 PM Re: WitE: Grand Campaign [Re: Para_Bellum]  
Itkovian Offline
Itkovian  Offline

Thanks for the update, Para, and I'm glad to see you and The Spy are safe and sound. Looking forward to the final war updates. smile

That said, keep in mind the last thing the regulars here need is help in the innuendo department. :P

Itkovian

Last edited by Itkovian; 04/03/12 12:45 PM.
#3549756 - 04/03/12 03:19 PM Re: WitE: Grand Campaign [Re: Itkovian]  
Vitesse Offline
Vitesse  Offline

Devon UK
snigger...he said innuendo

Page 31 of 33 1 2 29 30 31 32 33

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.