Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#3564139 - 04/28/12 09:24 PM Re: F-16 DIY Cockpit? [Re: - Ice]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
WC, not sure what you mean by a "Warthog skin," but I am planning to paint it the same color as the aircraft (gray?) and have the panels that I will build later as black. The lower screen is not touch screen as a 22" touch screen is damn expensive.

I use a combination of Helios, MFDE, and the built-in cockpit extractor for the second screen. Anything that I put input into (ICP, switches) goes through Helios, some of the displays not availabe in Helios (ie airbrake, fuel gauge, landing gear indicator, etc) is done through the MFDE. The DED, PFL, and MFDs are extracted via the default program built into BMS.

- Ice
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3564735 - 04/30/12 12:47 AM Re: F-16 DIY Cockpit? [Re: - Ice]  
Renic Offline
Renic  Offline

Southern California
Wow, Ice, your pit looks really nice! Maybe one day I'll have the woodworking skills to build something similar!

"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither." - Ben Franklin

"I won't bow out bravely. I'll be kicking, screaming, fighting. To the end."

"I'm throwing Pit Building against the wall to see what sticks!"

Renic's Simpit blog
#3564929 - 04/30/12 09:54 AM Re: F-16 DIY Cockpit? [Re: - Ice]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

I got most of my cuts done by the shop I bought the MDF from. I would've gotten them all for free but as I had them cut 3 sheets of MDF, they charged me £4. Can't blame them, they were cutting for about 20 minutes or so biggrin This pit was designed to be easy to assemble and to be modular, but the end product is stable as the side consoles are securely locked to the center assembly. All I needed for building was a jigsaw to cut my support beams (47x50mm kiln-dried wood for the most bit, 19x38mm for the side consoles) and a few angle cuts. As you can see in the pics above, the bits with the RED arrows were the angle cuts - the left and right aux consoles and support, and one at the top which used to support my instrument panel MDF. So that is... 4 angle cuts? And then a few more for my seat mount assembly. That's it!

The green highlighted parts are the support beams I am talking about... just some simple straight cuts on them, not much work to them.

- Ice
#3565976 - 05/02/12 11:27 AM Re: F-16 DIY Cockpit? [Re: - Ice]  
Bluedeath Offline
BS 62 "Pegasus" CAG
Bluedeath  Offline
BS 62 "Pegasus" CAG

Were you able to extract the MFDs and use Falcon in full screen or you had to use the window (I'm trying to use a truple monitor setup via softth but using the window mode kills the FPS count), what hardware are you using to run the sim?

"When you plan revenge best dig two graves" Confucius
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" Benjamin Franklin
#3566421 - 05/03/12 12:15 AM Re: F-16 DIY Cockpit? [Re: Bluedeath]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Bluedeath
Were you able to extract the MFDs and use Falcon in full screen or you had to use the window (I'm trying to use a truple monitor setup via softth but using the window mode kills the FPS count), what hardware are you using to run the sim?

As you can see in one of the screenies above, I have the top screen as my game screen and the bottom screen displays MFDs, gauges, switches, etc. The game is actually running in windowed mode as a requirement for display (MFD, DED, etc.) extraction but the borders are not shown hence the illusion of still running full screen. FPS are pretty okay, I've not flown demanding missions yet (still in training). Hardware is Win7 64bit, i5 750 (no OC), 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM, HD 6970.

- Ice
#3566581 - 05/03/12 11:42 AM Re: F-16 DIY Cockpit? [Re: - Ice]  
Bluedeath Offline
BS 62 "Pegasus" CAG
Bluedeath  Offline
BS 62 "Pegasus" CAG

ui have a better card than me (I got a 560ti as primary and a 210 as slave) rest of my system should be ok. Thanks for the data.

"When you plan revenge best dig two graves" Confucius
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" Benjamin Franklin
#3636299 - 09/01/12 05:34 PM Re: F-16 DIY Cockpit? [Re: SAPPER]  
daveydave Offline
daveydave  Offline

VA
Originally Posted By: SAPPER
Hello again ICE,

I though the sketchup file could be usefull to you if you want an aproximation of the F-16 cockpit ergonomics that are easy to build, but if you want go near to the actual thing you need to do further research. Take the plans on xflight as an example, they are way off the actual thing, but the guy built in the past a perfectly functional and aproximate cockpit (that I would love to have) on those plans. If it's functionality and ergonomics you are after, those general dimentions should not fail you.

Can you repost these? Your original link is broken. Thanks!

#3636308 - 09/01/12 06:01 PM Re: F-16 DIY Cockpit? [Re: - Ice]  
daveydave Offline
daveydave  Offline

VA
And Ice, that looks so great! I'd love to build a smaller version of what you have. Mostly integrating shorter side consoles with my computer desk and a seat. Do you have Sketchup plans?

#3636878 - 09/02/12 08:29 PM Re: F-16 DIY Cockpit? [Re: - Ice]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

The xflight plans are wrong anyway so no loss there.

I got my plans here somewhere but I have made some modifications during the build process so the plans are simply a guide. The front assembly for the monitors, for instance, was just way too high, and my seat was way too angled. So my original plans are no good, aside from the side console measurements which are just guesstimates anyway.

- Ice
#3793800 - 06/08/13 07:17 PM Re: F-16 DIY Cockpit? [Re: - Ice]  
xCapt Offline
xCapt  Offline

MN, USA
So for many years I have thought about building a home cockpit but I know my mechanical / fabrication skills are no where good enough to attempt some of the fabulous designs I have seen on the web. But Ice, this is fantastic and is exactly what I had envisioned for so long - it is simple yet completely functional. I don't need a high-fidelity simulator in terms of exact dimensions but like you I was looking for something that allowed for flexibility and functionality allowing me to avoid the keyboard and mouse as much as possible. You design meets that criteria perfectly and has given me the confidence to finally try to do something of my own. Hopefully I will be able to post my results in the near future.

Thanks again for posting your work - it looks great! If you would be willing to share any of the sketches it would certainly help but if not I'm sure the pics you have here will get me going.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Win 8 Pro, 64 bit | i7 920 @ 2.65 | Cooler Master V8 CPU cooler | 6 GB Corsair 1600 speed DDR3 ram | GTX 660Ti | 2x 24" widescreens | Cougar w/ FSSB| Cougar MFDs | Saitek rudders |
#3794138 - 06/09/13 11:05 PM Re: F-16 DIY Cockpit? [Re: - Ice]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Welcome to SimHQ!

I think you're the 3rd or 4th person to ask me about measurements for my pit, so I guess I should be getting around to them. To the guys who've asked me before, I apologize for the delay. Quite a few things on my plate, and all that excuse. I hope to have something by Friday. I plan to re-do my Google Sketchup design so I can send the file to anyone who's interested and they can see all the measurements and how it all "bolts together" in it's 3D goodness.

This is an easy pit to set up. As I've said before, aside from the Auxiliary panels, all the big cuts were done in the store where I bought the MDF. They charged me £4 simply because of the number of cuts I made them do, but if I "split" the job in two (one per MDF sheet), they might've been free as the shop offers 15 cuts free. However, in my current setup, I've gotten rid of the Aux panels anyway and added a triple-screen setup on the top so that changed the "support" structure on the front console somewhat. Also, I've gotten rid of the chair incline simply because the MDF support was giving way. My chair (base) is now flat and is easier to get into, but the angled setup was way more comfortable and I'll be thinking of some way to revert to that and setup my supports properly.

- Ice
#4458604 - 01/25/19 02:16 PM Re: F-16 DIY Cockpit? [Re: - Ice]  
Jaster Offline
Jaster  Offline

Hi Ice I tried to send you a pm but couldn't just wondering if you could send me the measurements for your pit if you still have them.
I know it an old thread but thought I'd try my luck. Or if anyone else has them that would be great.

#4458617 - 01/25/19 03:52 PM Re: F-16 DIY Cockpit? [Re: Jaster]  
CyBerkut Online content
Administrator
CyBerkut  Online Content
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
Originally Posted by Jaster
Hi Ice I tried to send you a pm but couldn't just wondering if you could send me the measurements for your pit if you still have them.
I know it an old thread but thought I'd try my luck. Or if anyone else has them that would be great.

http://SimHQ.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4449278/re-newbie-guide-to-a10c-essentials#Post4449278

Originally Posted by Paradaz
Ice has left these forums however he's still on Steam with the same name

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
RIP Louis Gosset, Jr
by bones. 03/29/24 02:40 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.