Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#3546534 - 03/28/12 12:56 PM Re: F-16 DIY Cockpit? [Re: - Ice]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Right. Spent the last few days madly researching and measuring and learning Sketchup, and I finally have a rough-draft of my planned pit. Constructed mostly of MDF and kiln-dried timber, I hope for it to be quite cheap. I've not laid out the materials yet, but might need two sheets of 18mm and one sheet of 6mm MDF. Anyway, the dark-brown parts are 18mm MDF, the light-brown parts are 6mm MDF, and the pasty-yellow ones are support pieces made of either 50x47mm timber or 38x19mm timber. The silver bits are my computer components, seat, rudder, MFDs.

The pit is built with four main components, the left console, the right console, the center tub, and the monitor mounts. Here is a look with the side console removed. The seat used is an old bucket seat, which means the pit is wider than "real" cockpit.

Here is a look at the side console construction. Very simple but sturdy. Made to resist 3 year olds climbing over...

The back view showing the monitor support.

As this build is designed to be as sturdy as possible, I try to prevent MDF-to-MDF attachments whenever possible. The only place where MDF is secured to another MDF is on the side aux consoles and on the front instrument panel MDF. As these are 6mm boards attaching to an 18mm board, I am not too worried. Here is a look at my structural support allowing MDF-to-timber-to-MDF connections.

The whole thing is designed to be put together using wood screws, that way it is very easy to disassemble for transport or if you want to change a component. I have tried to make things as accurate as possible, for instance, the left aux panel is angled differently from the right aux panel. The front instrument panel is angled the same as in real life. The angle of the chair, the height of the chair from the floor, and the placement of the chair in relation to the side consoles are as close as I can make it based on available pics and measurements. However, like I said, the center tub is wider to accomodate the wider chair, which is about 2" or 2.25" wider than an ACES II seat. To mod this build, you simply have to make a few components in the center tub narrower and adjust the two horizontal monitor mounting MDFs, and you have yourself a narrower cockpit!

With some simple modifications, the side console tops can also be made to flip up with a hinge, and either of the side consoles can be made to swing outward too! However, I prefer a solid pit so I have left these "features" out of the plans for the meantime.

At the moment, I am still deciding how to incorporate an ICP on the front instrument panel, then I will cut off all the excess MDF to expose the second monitor screen.

Comments, suggestions, and criticisms welcome!

- Ice
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3546595 - 03/28/12 03:19 PM Re: F-16 DIY Cockpit? [Re: - Ice]  
Bluedeath Offline
BS 62 "Pegasus" CAG
Bluedeath  Offline
BS 62 "Pegasus" CAG

Nice work. you can use the lcd that you use for the MFD to shoe the center console also.
I'm currently working on an hybrid configuration with a 23" lcd that has 4 cougar MFDs mounted at the corners using lower ones for Falcon and upper ones for A10, the ones that are not managed by the simulator in use will show a fake MFD graphic with key assigment labels.
F 16/generic Gauges and DED will be shown in the remaining or i the unused MFD as glass cockpit , I think about using aeronautic styled coasters and magnet sold on ebay as gauge bezels.
Maybe you could be interested in a similar configuration.

"When you plan revenge best dig two graves" Confucius
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" Benjamin Franklin
#3546599 - 03/28/12 03:24 PM Re: F-16 DIY Cockpit? [Re: - Ice]  
Bluedeath Offline
BS 62 "Pegasus" CAG
Bluedeath  Offline
BS 62 "Pegasus" CAG

Nice work. you can use the lcd that you use for the MFD to show the center console also If you nodify the layout slightly.
I'm currently working on an hybrid configuration with a 23" lcd that has 4 cougar MFDs mounted at the corners using lower ones for Falcon and upper ones for A10, the ones that are not managed by the simulator in use will show a fake MFD graphic with key assigment labels.
F 16/generic Gauges and DED will be shown in the remaining or i the unused MFD as glass cockpit , I think about using aeronautic styled coasters and magnet sold on ebay as gauge bezels.

My cockpit will base idea is more or less like the "vista" F-16 variation (including both central and side stick).
Maybe you could be interested in a similar configuration.

Last edited by Bluedeath; 03/28/12 03:25 PM.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" Benjamin Franklin
#3546625 - 03/28/12 04:23 PM Re: F-16 DIY Cockpit? [Re: - Ice]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

If you follow the A-10 display, it is too tall for the F-16. As you can see above, my lower LCD is protruding up from the front instrument panel. IMO, if you put four sets of MFDs on a display, you are just wasting real estate and the MFDs will either be too close/too low or too far/too high. I've decided to go with the F-16 layout as having a center-stick installed all the time is rather awkward when you're not flying, so the F-16's side-stick config was much more comfortable.

As planned, the LCD will show various gauges and instruments in a "glass cockpit" display, though in an unrealistic config. Just the important ones, the ones you need to glance over lots of times and putting that on the LCD will save you having to squint down and zoom in biggrin I still have to plan how to carve out the front instrument panel MDF board though, since I plan to install an ICP as well... the less I have to reach for the mouse, the better.

I wonder what you mean about coasters and magnets though?

- Ice
#3546704 - 03/28/12 06:54 PM Re: F-16 DIY Cockpit? [Re: - Ice]  
MudPuppy Offline
MudPuppy  Offline

Appalachian foothills in Virgi...
Ice, I think he means this kind of a product:
Aero Gauges Coasters

A seller on e-bay may certainly be cheaper, but I just did a quick search.

Nice progress on the drawings and plan for construction!
Derek

#3546894 - 03/29/12 12:01 AM Re: F-16 DIY Cockpit? [Re: - Ice]  
f15sim Offline
More projects than sense!
f15sim  Offline

Graham, WA
Nice progress Ice!

g.

Proud owner of 80-0007
http://www.f15sim.com - The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - the Me-109F/X Project
#3547056 - 03/29/12 09:47 AM Re: F-16 DIY Cockpit? [Re: - Ice]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

I don't think those coasters are anywhere near accurate size-wise. If you want to go that route, find some real-scale gauges, print them off, then stick them to a 6mm MDF board and put it on your cockpit. biggrin

Gene, thanks! Any comments?

I'm pretty sure I missed something here. Biggest worry is getting the seat right, or getting the entire seat-eye height-monitor height bits correct.

- Ice
#3547218 - 03/29/12 04:26 PM Re: F-16 DIY Cockpit? [Re: - Ice]  
f15sim Offline
f15sim  Offline

Graham, WA
Doing a "high-fidelity" cockpit isn't something I'd recommend to most folks. It gets expensive very quickly - what you've got going there is a great platform that would serve you well. If you want a bit more realism, you could get a set of those button collars that Thrustmaster sells and put 8" LCD displays behind them. smile

g.

Proud owner of 80-0007
#3547220 - 03/29/12 04:31 PM Re: F-16 DIY Cockpit? [Re: - Ice]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

I'm sorry but what do you mean by "high-fidelity" cockpit?

- Ice
#3547323 - 03/29/12 07:55 PM Re: F-16 DIY Cockpit? [Re: - Ice]  
Bluedeath Offline
BS 62 "Pegasus" CAG
Bluedeath  Offline
BS 62 "Pegasus" CAG

Originally Posted By: - Ice
I don't think those coasters are anywhere near accurate size-wise. If you want to go that route, find some real-scale gauges, print them off, then stick them to a 6mm MDF board and put it on your cockpit. biggrin

Gene, thanks! Any comments?

I'm pretty sure I missed something here. Biggest worry is getting the seat right, or getting the entire seat-eye height-monitor height bits correct.

Theese coasters alerady have rased parts and screws size is not perfect but it gets near to the viperpanel bezels which were supposed to be the correct size and my first choice but the guy seems to be vanished.
I actually find your idea of build a cnc machine (the othe thread) very clever but build one that can work an entire panel it will get huge once completed so is easier for me to cut the bottom of the coasters and glue them on a lexan sheet toghether with the mdfs .

Last edited by Bluedeath; 03/29/12 08:23 PM.

#3547350 - 03/29/12 08:49 PM Re: F-16 DIY Cockpit? [Re: - Ice]  
f15sim Offline
f15sim  Offline

Graham, WA
High-Fidelity typically means that you're going after a switch for switch simulation and cockpit dimensions that are exact to the millimeter.

My Me-109F/X project is what I would consider to be a low-fidelity cockpit. The dimensions are within a reasonable ballpark of a real 109F within broad margins but the interior is left open to the builder to outfit as they like. The 109G project posted in this forum would be a high-fidelity cockpit based on the work on the panel alone.

Anything made by Rodger Dodger Aviation is low-fidelity by default. biggrin

g.

Proud owner of 80-0007
#3547362 - 03/29/12 09:06 PM Re: F-16 DIY Cockpit? [Re: - Ice]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Ah, I see. I'm going for a low-fidelity approach with my pit, the goal was "easy to build," as I only have a jigsaw and a circular saw at the moment. I am investigating the cost of building a CNC machine... I'm already planning things out in CAD anyway so software-wise it's only a few more steps. The cost of building one though...

I am aiming for a sort of high-fidelity approach with regards to the panels though. When I got the Cougar MFDs, they made "working in the cockpit" so much easier. Have you tried "aiming" for an OSB button with the mouse while using TrackIR? Very difficult! The MFDs changed that, so now I appreciate having real switches. Again, the CNC machine will help with building the panels, although for the electronics side of things, ie which switch/button/toggle to use, what interface to use, and so on, I have totally no clue. But I'm eating this elephant one bite at a time.

Bluedeath, which panels do you want? I'll see if I can find the measurements for you. I think I got a CAD file somewhere....

- Ice
#3547776 - 03/30/12 05:04 PM Re: F-16 DIY Cockpit? [Re: - Ice]  
Bluedeath Offline
BS 62 "Pegasus" CAG
Bluedeath  Offline
BS 62 "Pegasus" CAG

I need DED and center pedestal gauges but correct proportins re e impotant than dimension since my project is low fidelty by necessity

#3562715 - 04/25/12 09:58 PM Re: F-16 DIY Cockpit? [Re: - Ice]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

After a week of building, I finally finished my pit. Here is version 1:

The raw materials, pre-cut!

Assembling the base.

Putting it all together.

My seat mount!

And with the seat on.

And here is version 1 completed and ready for use:

I've been wanting to install a second monitor for gauge and MFD display so I had to work on version 2.

A closer view of the monitors. Top one is 24" and bottom one is 22".

- Ice
#3562717 - 04/25/12 09:59 PM Re: F-16 DIY Cockpit? [Re: - Ice]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

And here is a pic of the pit "at work." Hell yeah!

- Ice
#3562975 - 04/26/12 12:58 PM Re: F-16 DIY Cockpit? [Re: - Ice]  
Lupus Offline
Lupus  Offline

United States
Very nice. Where did you get your seat?

#3563052 - 04/26/12 03:48 PM Re: F-16 DIY Cockpit? [Re: - Ice]  
MudPuppy Offline
MudPuppy  Offline

Appalachian foothills in Virgi...
thumbsup You have got to be happy with the end product, Ice. Very nice work.
Derek

#3563081 - 04/26/12 05:01 PM Re: F-16 DIY Cockpit? [Re: - Ice]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Not quite finished yet. I am planning to add 3 monitors, two 19" on each side for added peripheral vision, and one monitor at the lower left or right to display checklists, flight plan, PDFs, or TS3 info. I'm also planning to replace that 22" with a different model, as the current one is a different resolution. If I can snag a 1920x1080 res 22" from eBay, I'm all over it.

Lupus, seat was a find on eBay as well. Just your standard adjustable bucket seat.

- Ice
#3564028 - 04/28/12 04:30 PM Re: F-16 DIY Cockpit? [Re: - Ice]  
Wrecking Crew Offline
Smooth Operator
Wrecking Crew  Offline
Smooth Operator
Hotshot

Colorado
- Ice,
That's a nice looking pit. Any plan to paint a Warthog skin onto it? pilot

Is the lower screen a touchscreen, too? I take it that's Helios.

WC

#3564068 - 04/28/12 05:52 PM Re: F-16 DIY Cockpit? [Re: - Ice]  
Bluedeath Offline
BS 62 "Pegasus" CAG
Bluedeath  Offline
BS 62 "Pegasus" CAG

Nice work , what are you using to disply gauges and MFDs?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.