Forums » Air Combat & Civil Aviation » IL-2: FB, AEP, PF » Trimmed to land Active Topics You are not logged in. [Log In] [Register User]
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#3538264 - 03/14/12 07:35 AM Trimmed to land
Greybeard Offline

Loc: Italy
Mybe I'm reinventing the wheel, but would anyway to share how I improved my landing abilities (pretty poor, indeed) lately, increasing elevator trim about 15 "clicks" up before landing. First touch is critical and must be as soft as possible, keeping a/c as long as possible up, like if you would hamper it from touching down, cutting very slowly throttle, since a sharp cutoff would roll a/c upside down.... Curiously, this is much more difficult than in reality, at least with a light aircraft, where you "must" cutoff throttle and that can absorb some shock on landing without jumping like a cricket! smile

I'm speaking of 4.10.1. In 4.11 I think this has been addressed, since I notice much less "ricochet" (that's to say better shock absorbing). Unfortunately, some exaggerated ground effect was added, forcing a/c like FW190 to endless run a few feet over runway, before they touch down.

GB

#3538373 - 03/14/12 11:44 AM Re: Trimmed to land [Re: Greybeard]
rollnloop. Offline

Loc: France
I always trim full up during final, it's much easier that way indeed, especially since our joysticks are usually less precise near the stops (but in a real plane it's almost the same, one is less precise when strong force needed), those fighters are usually very nose heavy at slow speed. The other thing is to approach at 1.3 stall speed, if you have trouble with any type of aircraft take it level at 1000m, gear and flaps down, idle power and full trim up, trying to keep altitude as speed comes down. When you feel the first stalling signs, note the speed, push down to recover and once you get 1.3 the stalls speed, increse power to go back level. Do your approach at this 1.3 stall speed, reduce gently power while flaring to get nose higher than horizon and keep it there, then wait. If too high, release the stick almost imperceptibly to limit bounce. If flare was too low and aircraft bounced high (provided gear hasn't collapsed), go around and try again.

It's quite comprehensible you don't have as much torque effect when changing power in a light aircraft, most don't have those fighters' 12ft props !

Happy landings smile

#3538692 - 03/14/12 09:06 PM Re: Trimmed to land [Re: Greybeard]
Tolwyn Offline

Loc: WA, United States
Yowza, guys.
I neutralize trim as much as I can on a landing, as in real life.
Grey, my guess is you're coming in too steep, which is typical for most sim pilots. Most sim pilots want to see the entire run way out their cockpit, when really, you need to approach longer and more shallow. Fly the aircraft TO the runway.

Try the notion of flying the aircraft TO the ground, instead of floating the aircraft onto the ground.
My personal licensing agreement: In exchange for my hard-earned cash for your product, you agree to the following terms: No part of my hardware may be used as a mechanism to verify or reverify my economical patronage. My receipt will serve that purpose. If you disagree with this license, you may return my money to me, and I'll return your product. \:\)

#3538693 - 03/14/12 09:06 PM Re: Trimmed to land [Re: Greybeard]
Tolwyn Offline

By the way, I have to say in real life in all the aircraft I fly, it's rare I even touch trim unless I'm flying long distances, and only then to ease fatigue I need to place on myself on the yoke.
My personal licensing agreement: In exchange for my hard-earned cash for your product, you agree to the following terms: No part of my hardware may be used as a mechanism to verify or reverify my economical patronage. My receipt will serve that purpose. If you disagree with this license, you may return my money to me, and I'll return your product. \:\)

#3538760 - 03/14/12 11:36 PM Re: Trimmed to land [Re: Greybeard]
Nimits Offline

Loc: Texas, United States of Americ...
Really? 'Cause in every plane I've flown, GA or otherwise, I'm trimming after any significant pitch/power change.

Edited by Nimits (03/14/12 11:37 PM)

#3538816 - 03/15/12 03:09 AM Re: Trimmed to land [Re: Nimits]
DGC338 Offline

Loc: Australia
With you Nimits. Make a change, hold, trim. Like that in every aircraft I've flown apart from flying at very low level. Trim nose up so If you release you climb. The only other case where I don't trim is in aero's or in FBW aircraft.

#3538851 - 03/15/12 06:09 AM Re: Trimmed to land [Re: Greybeard]
Greybeard Offline

Loc: Italy
rollnloop

I tried and it works! Curiously, it matches exactly what required by FIAT G50bis Pilot's Manual! Do you trim also for take-off?

Tolwyn

I think your way applies more to a carrier landing (land w/o flare), although I confess I tend to stay high and in a steep descent: an habit coming also from many real landings on a short runway, among relatively high obstacles (wires, trees, buildings).
In two years, I too used trim only once, but must be said I flew all short flights.

Nimits, DGC338

That's the right thing to do for long flights, I think, but when you go up for a short time, at low altitude, time spent to balance a/c becomes a significant part of the total and sort of wasting. IIRC, trim should be slightly nose-down, though, otherwise if you release risk stall.

S!
GB

#3539195 - 03/15/12 03:59 PM Re: Trimmed to land [Re: Greybeard]
Tolwyn Offline

Carrier based aircraft have a MUCH more forgiving gear structure. I was literally referring to landing on a good ol' runway.

#3539197 - 03/15/12 04:02 PM Re: Trimmed to land [Re: Nimits]
Tolwyn Offline

Originally Posted By: Nimits
Really? 'Cause in every plane I've flown, GA or otherwise, I'm trimming after any significant pitch/power change.

To fly coordinated or to counteract fatigue, right? But do you trim for landing? What I mean is... actively? Well, I guess any adjustment is trimmed (the aircraft is ALWAYS trimmed, I guess).

In landing though, I don't know about you, but I wouldn't touch my trim wheel. smile

#3539363 - 03/15/12 10:37 PM Re: Trimmed to land [Re: Greybeard]
Nimits Offline

Loc: Texas, United States of Americ...
On a GA aircraft in a VFR pattern, it probably depends on where the trim is. Trim button on the yoke, and I am going to at least get the trim moving in the direction of neutral for a short final configuration/descent slope; if it is a wheel on the floor, maybe not. Granted, its not as if the stick forces on a PA-28 or a C-172 is going to be that hard too handle in any reasonable trim/power/CG configuration, but I feel it is good habit.

On anything faster/heavier, though, I'd definately trim for final, especially on a instrument approach, just like I would trim for slow flight, or any other manuevers. Don't know if that is normal or not, but it is the way I've always done it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:

Moderator:  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Pick up anything this Black Friday?
by saghen
24 minutes 0 seconds ago
Ever wondered where your party goes when traveling on a horse in Dragon Age Inquisition?
by Desert Eagle
Today at 02:01 PM
OMG ITS HERE ITS HERE
by Moses
Today at 10:55 AM
Speaking of live music
by Ajay
Today at 06:43 AM
A Ferguson story
by KraziKanuK
Today at 05:57 AM
Browser Hell - I'm starting to hate Mozilla AND Google
by RSColonel_131st
Today at 05:23 AM
New firearm incoming
by Corktip 14
Today at 04:48 AM
So we had our biggest hail storm in ten years yesterday afternoon
by Ajay
Today at 04:33 AM
YouTube comments
by PanzerMeyer
Yesterday at 11:18 PM
It's time for an Homage to ABBA!
by letterboy1
Yesterday at 08:16 PM

Forum Use Agreement | Privacy Statement
Copyright 1997-2014, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.