Well, more than a year later I'm back at this project. These trucks need some display protection. They've been hiding under the dust cover of my record player for most of the last year.
My original idea for a small truck yard diorama is underway. The primary consideration was the kind of protective cover I could make work. I found a decent plastic base and clear plastic cover at a local flea market (when I bought the case there was a small car and trailer in there).
I removed the die cast car and trailer, and built up a card stock platform that fit the plastic base snugly. I took a couple of weeks thinking about how to best arrange the trucks inside the space, and settled on one that leaves the clear case sidewalls open, over early ideas to obscure one side with a "flat" building backdrop. This way viewers can examine the models from all angles, and hopefully none of the static scenery is big enough to distract from the trucks as the primary subject.
Here is the work on the display base by itself:
And some small scenery objects to decorate the loading platform area. The barrels will be in the truck, with a small figure on the platform waiting with the dolly.
Here they are loaded:
And everything together:
Showing the plastic cover installed:
Only the figure on the loading platform remains, he's a work in progress: