Forums » SimHQ Community » Community Hall » Movies that re-write history Active Topics You are not logged in. [Log In] [Register User]
Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#3531599 - 03/03/12 06:39 PM Re: Movies that re-write history [Re: Biggles07]
PanzerMeyer Online   centaurian
Effervescent Libertarian - SimHQ Supporter
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Loc: Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Biggles07
'The Patriot' (AKA Braveheart II...This time its Colonial ) Christ, I feel like throwing a fecking brick through the telly every time I see it. Outrageous! biggrin

And what's funny are all of the UK actors who are in film. I guess that paycheck was more important than historical accuracy? wink

#3531600 - 03/03/12 06:45 PM Re: Movies that re-write history [Re: Biggles07]
MaceUK33 Online   grrr
Dread pirate Mace
Veteran

Loc: Darlington, UK.
Originally Posted By: Biggles07
Quote:
Wait what? I thought U-571 was a documentary!

And therein lies the problem. 90% of your Country probably thinks so, too! rofl

Point taken (lol), but you can understand people who were actually involved personally and still alive being a bit irked by it....No? smile If you're making a film about a historical event, at least make some effort to contain a bit of truth. A good start would be not blatantly lying about who did it, its the 'little things' like this that can make all the difference. biggrin

RE: 'The Patriot', don't get me effin started. hahaha

I remember a Battle of Britain film was mooted and supposed to star Tom Cruise as 'Billy Fisk'....mercifully it appears to have been shelved. I can see it now.

Fisk: Get me the Goddamn President....Of Britain on the phone!!!

Churchill: Fisk? I don't like this guy....HE'S DANGEROUS. However, we need every swinging d*ck in the air to save Blighty, and this kid is good. He just might swing the balance......

Fisk: You're GODDAMNED RIGHT I'M MUTHA-F*KKIN DANGEROUS!!! Hold tight President Churchill, here comes the Cavalry, tuh save all O' Y'all asses!!! WHOO-HOO!!!

Etc etc....Fisk shoots down 42 Huns and saves Britain single handedly, US audience believes it, you get the picture. biggrin

Classic biggrin

But you forgot the end shot Cruise standing in the sunset, saluting and saying "God bless Amerikee!"

"Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space."
Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

#3531601 - 03/03/12 06:47 PM Re: Movies that re-write history [Re: Snapdad2112]

I don't think there is any movie that is 100% authentic to historical fact but IMHO, these are the ones that come to mind which get very close,

1. Patton
2. Tora Tora Tora
3. Das Boot
4. Gettysburg
5. Glory
6. Gods & Generals
7. Battle of Britain
8. The Longest Day
9. Downfall

#3531607 - 03/03/12 06:52 PM Re: Movies that re-write history [Re: Shredder]
FearlessFrog Offline

Originally Posted By: Shredder
Actually I thought Titanic followed the book "A Night to Remember" very closely, including details of the lifeboats, the smokestack collapsing, and even the quartet playing right up to the end. I was surprised at it's accuracy.

Dude! Spoiler tags please...

wink

As for PatriotHeart and all those, the English make excellent villains, plus we don't mind that much as the accent over in the US helps with the ladies. Wha ha ha ha.

(I married an American)

Edited by FearlessFrog (03/03/12 06:54 PM)

#3531612 - 03/03/12 06:58 PM Re: Movies that re-write history [Re: FearlessFrog]

Originally Posted By: FearlessFrog

plus we don't mind that much as the accent over in the US helps with the ladies. Wha ha ha ha.

(I married an American)

Yes I can imagine if you sound like Hugh Grant or Colin Firth you could easily get the ladies but if you sound like Ozzy Osbourne or someone from East London probably not. biggrin

#3531627 - 03/03/12 07:14 PM Re: Movies that re-write history [Re: PanzerMeyer]
FearlessFrog Offline

Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted By: FearlessFrog

plus we don't mind that much as the accent over in the US helps with the ladies. Wha ha ha ha.

(I married an American)

Yes I can imagine if you sound like Hugh Grant or Colin Firth you could easily get the ladies but if you sound like Ozzy Osbourne or someone from East London probably not. biggrin

I started to go for the Colin Firth vibe, but am gradually turning into the Ozzie. It's sort of like a really slow-paced alien-body abduction movie over 40 years or so.. lol

You do get a 5+ charisma with the accent, but only the shrill BBC circa 1954 mode, plus it doesn't help much if the words said sound good but are complete codswallop smile. Also, I got into a fight once in New York with a 256th generational Irishman just by sounding a bit foppish - so there are downsides..

#3531629 - 03/03/12 07:18 PM Re: Movies that re-write history [Re: Snapdad2112]
MaceUK33 Online   grrr
Dread pirate Mace
Veteran

Loc: Darlington, UK.
Are you English FearlessFrog?

"Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space."
Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

#3531630 - 03/03/12 07:19 PM Re: Movies that re-write history [Re: MaceUK33]
FearlessFrog Offline

Originally Posted By: MaceUK33
Are you English FearlessFrog?

Yes. I live and pay taxes in Canada and the US (for the last 20 years), but grew up in the UK.

#3531670 - 03/03/12 08:28 PM Re: Movies that re-write history [Re: Snapdad2112]
Skycat Offline
Hotshot

Loc: Pennsylvania or Montana
Walt Disney's Davey Crockett at the Alamo (1955), where Crockett, his friend Georgie, a riverboat gambler and an ostracized Commanche warrior arrive at the Alamo in time to defend it to the death. Crockett is last seen clubbing down Santa Anna's soldiers with his trusted rifle Betsy while the outro song assures the viewer he died for Liberty.

John Wayne's "The Alamo" (1960), where John Wayne's Crockett, apparently on a tour of Mexican cantinas with his buddies, does a whole lot of Big American stuff including saving a senorita in distress and speechifying about how good the word "Republic" sounds to his ears before eventually blowing himself and the Alamo to bits.

"The Alamo--Thirteen Days To Glory" (1987), a made-for-TV movie that appears to combine the best of John Wayne's (including his Alamo set) and Disney's versions. Crockett dies on the parapet. Jim Bowie dies on his feet instead of on his sick bed. (This clip is dubbed over.)

"The Alamo" (2004), controversial for its reinterpretation of Crockett as a fading politician and a man overshadowed by his own legend; the finale shows Crockett (Billy Bob Thornton) a bound, defiant prisoner on his knees who is executed in front of Santa Anna. The final seige is shown as a night attack. This movie is generally more sympathetic towards the Mexican army than previous interpretations.

#3531703 - 03/03/12 09:35 PM Re: Movies that re-write history [Re: Snapdad2112]
Tarnsman Offline
Hotshot

Loc: USA
"The Conqueror" 1956 staring John Wayne as Genghis Khan -- Nuff said.

Edited by Tarnsman (03/03/12 09:36 PM)

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:

Moderator:  Murphy, RacerGT, Stormtrooper 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Anyone playing Elite Dangerous.....though
ts please

by Adger
25% Off Sale for A2A!
by Deacon211
Short CMRT armor exchange video...
by Magnum
Wishlist
by apelles
Star Wars "Duel of the Fates" music now with lyrics
by letterboy1
11:59 AM
B52 crash and broken arrow at Thule AFB
by Vagnluv
10:57 AM
Got my Oculus DK2!
by Duchess
10:21 AM
Combat Mission VAAR-Block Busting in Bokruisk
by enigma6584
09:55 AM
Combat Mission Video After Action Report-Gustav Line
by enigma6584
09:51 AM
Rise of Flight's Hanriot
by Smithcorp
08:09 AM

Forum Use Agreement | Privacy Statement
Copyright 1997-2014, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.