Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
#3533212 - 03/06/12 05:02 AM Re: Movies that re-write history [Re: Patrocles]  
LukeFF Offline
Veteran
LukeFF  Offline
Veteran

Redlands, California
Originally Posted By: Patrocles
I like to think of Das Boot as historical fiction; it follows history so closely that is appears to have actually existed.

In some ways, yes; others, not so much.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3533351 - 03/06/12 12:16 PM Re: Movies that re-write history [Re: Snap]  
Rends Offline
Rends  Offline

Germany
Battlestar Galactica.

Since i watched it im trying to find out the number of my wife

Fight blood cancer register at : http://www.dkmsamericas.org/
#3533356 - 03/06/12 12:26 PM Re: Movies that re-write history [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
Originally Posted By: Raw Kryptonite
The Pacific is worth watching, but it's not 10% of the greatness that IS Band of Brothers.
In BoB you get attached to all of the characters. In The Pacific, you don't know who it's really following, and you just don't get into the characters or situations well. Good actors, just the story/writing isn't on par. A missed opportunity. I hope they do another series, following naval battles in the pacific.
I have the Bluray boxed set and the extras in it really flesh out the details in what was happening and makes it a much better series. You are right tho as it dosn't follow one particular character you don't get attached to them the same way as in BoB, the jumping around from location and time does make it a bit disjointed. I'm still glad I seen it though.

recently watched the film Passchendaele don't know how accurate it is but it was pretty gritty in places.

Current "historical" TV series I'm watching is Hell on Wheels biggrin

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
#3533366 - 03/06/12 01:06 PM Re: Movies that re-write history [Re: Rends]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Rends

Since i watched it im trying to find out the number of my wife
If she's a 3, watch out for her obsession with finding her creator, if she's an 8 watch out for her two faced nature and if she's a 6 then you really are a lucky man. smile

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#3533371 - 03/06/12 01:14 PM Re: Movies that re-write history [Re: Patrocles]  
Billzilla Offline
Billzilla  Offline

Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Originally Posted By: Patrocles
You are correct. The U-boat was real (U-96) but the crew is fictional. I like to think of Das Boot as historical fiction; it follows history so closely that is appears to have actually existed.

If you read the excellent book by Herbert Werner, "Iron Coffins", you'll see how real it was.
It's the real story of a real u-boat Captain who survived through the war.
http://www.warbooks.com.au/IndividualBooks/ironcoffins.html

Out of ammo
Out of energy
Out of ideas
Down to harsh language
#3534659 - 03/08/12 06:07 AM Re: Movies that re-write history [Re: Snap]  
VBA_Rhino Offline
VBA_Rhino  Offline

Quad-Cities IA/IL
Gettysburg. Martin Sheen is a great actor, but he was horribly cast as Lee. He makes Lee come off as a "softy" and really ISNT Lee.

#3534742 - 03/08/12 12:59 PM Re: Movies that re-write history [Re: VBA_Rhino]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: VBA_Rhino
Gettysburg. Martin Sheen is a great actor, but he was horribly cast as Lee. He makes Lee come off as a "softy" and really ISNT Lee.
While it was a smaller role, I think Robert Duvall was much better as Lee in "Gods & Generals".

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#3534757 - 03/08/12 01:39 PM Re: Movies that re-write history [Re: Snap]  
csThor Offline
csThor  Offline

Germany
Wasn't "Patton" heavily sanitized as to the good General's more politically incorrect character flaws? Such as an underlying anti-semitism, some less than clever remarks about the SS and his fundamental opposition to "communists" (which, in Patton's opinion, was a term for a pretty broad spectrum of the society)? Which, IIRC, was also the reason George C. Scott refused the Oscar for his role in the movie. duck

Intel i7 960 @ 3.2 GHz - ASUS Rampage III Gene Republic of Gamers - 6GB RAM OCZ CL7 XTC Platinum PC3-12800 - ZOTAC GeForce GTX 480 - 64GB Crucial RealSSD C300 SATA II - 1TB Western Digital WD1002FAEX SATA II - Creative Soundblaster Xi-Fi Titanium - Windows 7 Professional 64bit
#3534758 - 03/08/12 01:43 PM Re: Movies that re-write history [Re: csThor]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: csThor
Wasn't "Patton" heavily sanitized as to the good General's more politically incorrect character flaws? Such as an underlying anti-semitism, some less than clever remarks about the SS and his fundamental opposition to "communists" (which, in Patton's opinion, was a term for a pretty broad spectrum of the society)? Which, IIRC, was also the reason George C. Scott refused the Oscar for his role in the movie. duck

The film did portray Patton's distaste for the Russians on several occassions as well as him having some disagreements with the official post-war "De-Nazification" policy.

Where did you read that he was an anti-semite? That's news to me. American society (as well as Europe) in the 1930's and 1940's had a lot of prejudice towards Jews so if Patton did harbor the same types of prejudice then it was no more than what was typical for the times.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 03/08/12 01:46 PM.

#3534804 - 03/08/12 03:00 PM Re: Movies that re-write history [Re: Snap]  
csThor Offline
csThor  Offline

Germany
Patton lost his job as 3rd Army CO when, after the war, he was put in charge of some DP camps in southern Germany and made pretty harsh and insulting remarks to jewish survivors of KZs. Already before (in North Africa) he had a few more hiccups because of jewish officers and comments he made but those were glossed over.

I don't think Patton's attitude towards Jews came from a ideological closeness to the Nazis but because of his considerable devotion to his christian religion (which, in various ways, had spread anti-semitism for over a milennium before a certain Austrian was even born).

Intel i7 960 @ 3.2 GHz - ASUS Rampage III Gene Republic of Gamers - 6GB RAM OCZ CL7 XTC Platinum PC3-12800 - ZOTAC GeForce GTX 480 - 64GB Crucial RealSSD C300 SATA II - 1TB Western Digital WD1002FAEX SATA II - Creative Soundblaster Xi-Fi Titanium - Windows 7 Professional 64bit
#3534828 - 03/08/12 03:40 PM Re: Movies that re-write history [Re: Snap]  
Falstar Offline
Falstar  Offline

Edina, MN 55439

#3534831 - 03/08/12 03:45 PM Re: Movies that re-write history [Re: Snap]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
I think the film succeeded in portraying a Patton that was neither a likeable person but also not the greatest evil on Earth. I would disagree with any notion that the film was a whitewash.

#3534882 - 03/08/12 05:17 PM Re: Movies that re-write history [Re: Snap]  
csThor Offline
csThor  Offline

Germany
Simply put George C. Scott refused an Oscar for his performance as Patton so I guess there's a little bit of truth in it. I suggest not to let this dissolve into an argument over virtually nothing, okay? wink

#3534885 - 03/08/12 05:23 PM Re: Movies that re-write history [Re: csThor]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: csThor
Simply put George C. Scott refused an Oscar for his performance as Patton so I guess there's a little bit of truth in it. I suggest not to let this dissolve into an argument over virtually nothing, okay? wink

I'm simply debating, not arguing. smile

I will say though that the reason Scott refused the Oscar was not because of any historical inaccuracy with the film but because he had philosophical problems with the Oscar ceremony/awards show in general.

Here from Wikipedia,

"Scott refused the Oscar nomination for Patton, just as he had done for his 1962 nomination for The Hustler.[6]

In a letter to the Motion Picture Academy he stated that he didn't feel himself to be in competition with other actors. However, regarding this second rejection of the Academy Award, Scott famously said elsewhere, "The whole thing is a goddamn meat parade. I don't want any part of it."

#3534889 - 03/08/12 05:36 PM Re: Movies that re-write history [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Boilerplate* Offline
Viceroy of Huntly
Boilerplate*  Offline
Viceroy of Huntly
Hotshot

Virginia, USA
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer

In a letter to the Motion Picture Academy he stated that he didn't feel himself to be in competition with other actors. However, regarding this second rejection of the Academy Award, Scott famously said elsewhere, "The whole thing is a goddamn meat parade. I don't want any part of it."

hahaha

George C. Scott was great. Another one of my favorite actors.

And despite the hubbub about Patton himself.. and realizing that it's Hollywood after all, it's still a good flick. Nor did I ever think it glorified Patton in any way. The man had substantial faults, there's no doubt and if you've ever read "Crusade in Europe" by DDE, you'd know that Eisenhower realized his weaknesses as well. But he was first and formost a fighting military commander and there's no doubt he got the job done.

It's a Game. smile
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.