#3531732 - 03/04/12 03:43 AM Re: Movies that re-write history [Re: Snap]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
And for my list of greatest offenders of history,

1. Braveheart (admittedly good drama though)
2. The Patriot
3. Pearl Harbor
4. U-571
5. Battle of the Bulge
6. Gladiator (great drama though)

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3531739 - 03/04/12 03:59 AM Re: Movies that re-write history [Re: Snap]  
Tarnsman Offline
Hotshot
Tarnsman  Offline
Hotshot

USA
"The Final Countdown"

#3531745 - 03/04/12 04:13 AM Re: Movies that re-write history [Re: Snap]  
NH2112 Online content
Veteran
NH2112  Online Content
Veteran

Jackman, ME
The Wind and the Lion.

The Lion in Winter.

Becket.

All really good films despite the inaccuracies.

Phil

“The biggest problem people have is they don’t think they’re supposed to have problems.” - Hayes Barnard
#3531975 - 03/04/12 03:37 PM Re: Movies that re-write history [Re: Biggles07]  
Vertigo1 Offline
Veteran
Vertigo1  Offline
Veteran

Zeta Aquilae System
Originally Posted By: Biggles07
Quote:
Wait what? I thought U-571 was a documentary!

And therein lies the problem. 90% of your Country probably thinks so, too! rofl

Quintessential Biggles. Never misses an opportunity to bash all Americans.

Back on topic...

Take a look at the survival characteristics for the real Titanic.

http://www.anesi.com/titanic.htm

Doesn't precisely correspond with what Cameron infers on the screen, does it? More third class woman and children survived than first class men.

Glad to see that the principle of "woman and children first" generally held up during that catastrophe.

Take a look at the behavior of the crew and passengers of the recent Italian liner which sank 250m off shore to see what culture has devolved into.

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." - Groucho Marx

“One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” -Milton Friedman

Quem Deus vult perdere, prius dementat
#3531978 - 03/04/12 03:44 PM Re: Movies that re-write history [Re: Tarnsman]  
Vertigo1 Offline
Veteran
Vertigo1  Offline
Veteran

Zeta Aquilae System
Originally Posted By: Tarnsman
"The Final Countdown"

umm.. it's not an attempt to retell anything. It's a whimsical scenario of a modern carrier versus a historical task force.

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." - Groucho Marx

“One of the great mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results.” -Milton Friedman

#3531989 - 03/04/12 04:00 PM Re: Movies that re-write history [Re: Vertigo1]  
Tarnsman Offline
Hotshot
Tarnsman  Offline
Hotshot

USA
Originally Posted By: Vertigo1
Originally Posted By: Tarnsman
"The Final Countdown"

umm.. it's not an attempt to retell anything. It's a whimsical scenario of a modern aircraft versus a historical task force.

Sort of like "Pearl Harbor" with its Arleigh Burke destroyers being attacked by Zeros on battleship row?

Seriously, "Final Countdown" is a true story. I saw it on TV smile

#3532003 - 03/04/12 04:19 PM Re: Movies that re-write history [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Vertigo1 Offline
Veteran
Vertigo1  Offline
Veteran

Zeta Aquilae System
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
I don't think there is any movie that is 100% authentic to historical fact but IMHO, these are the ones that come to mind which get very close,

1. Patton
2. Tora Tora Tora
3. Das Boot
4. Gettysburg
5. Glory
6. Gods & Generals
7. Battle of Britain
8. The Longest Day
9. Downfall

It is my understanding that Das Boot is completely fictional.

#3532013 - 03/04/12 04:36 PM Re: Movies that re-write history [Re: Vertigo1]  
Biggles07 Offline
Biggles07  Offline

Newcastle Upon Tyne, England.
Quote:

Yer Wha? Its called 'having a laugh', Vertigo. Ho Ho Ho. biggrin You can take the p*ss out of Blighty all you want mate, I'll laugh along with you if its good. smile Where are all the examples of me maliciously 'bashing' Americans? LOL! Cheer up ffs. 90% of my IL2 squadron are Yanks (a lot), we make fun of each other all the time, its just banter. If I had a penny for the amount of times I've been called a 'Limey B*stard' on TS, I'd be very rich. It doesn't make me cry, however.....and I'm still standing. hahaha Just a bit fun, sheesh.

I take the p*ss out of Oz all the time for instance, and Ajay etc never get upset...and normally fire back with something gold! (might be because they know I'm kidding, and they have a GSOH). So sensitive! hahaha

I'll try not to offend your country's honour in future. As long as you promise to spell honour properly in future. Till then, fair game. biggrin The point was Vertigo, people are ignorant worldwide (UK included) and many believe dramatisations etc to be factual. I exaggerated a bit for comic effect, its called hyperbole. I don't even know why I'm explaining this, tbh.

If I wanted to stick the boot in about 'gullibility' I would have mentioned something like....Hmmmm, I dunno, between 3.5 and 8 million (depending on source) Americans thinking they have been abducted by or had contact with Aliens. rofl You can't tell me that isn't fecking funny. I'd better not though, as I'll be 'bashing' the US (rolleyes) and it might upset you. Sorry about that. *Wait a minute, I'm not....really. That was a blatant lie. hahaha *.

Some people, eh? Never mind. biggrin

Last edited by Biggles07; 03/04/12 04:47 PM.

"I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals".

Sir Winston Churchill
#3532037 - 03/04/12 05:33 PM Re: Movies that re-write history [Re: Vertigo1]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

It was my understanding that Das Boot is completely fictional.
Yes, the specific events are fictional but the historical setting and circumstances are accurate as far as I can tell. It's sort of like how some of scenes depicting Stonewall Jackson's personal life in "Gods & Generals" were fictionalized but the historical setting and context behind those scenes were all accurate.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#3532442 - 03/05/12 06:03 AM Re: Movies that re-write history [Re: Snap]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
300..but it was a cool movie smile ..men wearing jewellery ?? pffff, as if.

Lord of the rings is a pretty cool historical movie , they could have shortened it a bit though.That dude with the big beard was God yeh, coz i got that straight up. The miniature whiney girl , Frodo (eve) and Sam (adam) really showed me where i come from and how the human race was born. Im glad they never ate the apple in the end though it was close a few times.I think it reflects on how i dont really like the evil fruit that much in rl.

Biggles is orright , not 'is fault 'es a pom now is it well ? Some of us escaped on the bread ships and some got stuck. If SamAdam woulda manned up back in the past and sorted ole FrodoEve out with a ripe ole rogerin' then all of our futures woulda been diffrint yeah.Like how Bennifer won the war an all wiv that big Raygun and showed them Irish moon men how not to muck wid our deloreans.

Man i love history its awesomes!

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#3532557 - 03/05/12 12:49 PM Re: Movies that re-write history [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Yes, the specific events are fictional but the historical setting and circumstances are accurate as far as I can tell.

Like U-571. neaner

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#3532591 - 03/05/12 02:29 PM Re: Movies that re-write history [Re: Snap]  
zcaa0g Offline
zcaa0g  Offline

Braveheart movie > Braveheart historical records. Yeah, that's right. Better acting, better visuals, better sound, better music, better battle scenes, better everything!

It's my favorite movie of all-time, so don't diss!!! ar15

Now back on topic....

What movies don't re-write history sans documentaries? And many of them would be too boring for the "mainstream audiences" that we so loathe if they kept to historical authenticity.

#3532912 - 03/05/12 08:57 PM Re: Movies that re-write history [Re: Biggles07]  
Vertigo1 Offline
Veteran
Vertigo1  Offline
Veteran

Zeta Aquilae System
Quote:

Yer Wha? Its called 'having a laugh', Vertigo. Ho Ho Ho. biggrin You can take the p*ss out of Blighty all you want mate, I'll laugh along with you if its good. smile Where are all the examples of me maliciously 'bashing' Americans? LOL! Cheer up ffs. 90% of my IL2 squadron are Yanks (a lot), we make fun of each other all the time, its just banter. If I had a penny for the amount of times I've been called a 'Limey B*stard' on TS, I'd be very rich. It doesn't make me cry, however.....and I'm still standing. hahaha Just a bit fun, sheesh.

I take the p*ss out of Oz all the time for instance, and Ajay etc never get upset...and normally fire back with something gold! (might be because they know I'm kidding, and they have a GSOH). So sensitive! hahaha

I'll try not to offend your country's honour in future. As long as you promise to spell honour properly in future. Till then, fair game. biggrin The point was Vertigo, people are ignorant worldwide (UK included) and many believe dramatisations etc to be factual. I exaggerated a bit for comic effect, its called hyperbole. I don't even know why I'm explaining this, tbh.

If I wanted to stick the boot in about 'gullibility' I would have mentioned something like....Hmmmm, I dunno, between 3.5 and 8 million (depending on source) Americans thinking they have been abducted by or had contact with Aliens. rofl You can't tell me that isn't fecking funny. I'd better not though, as I'll be 'bashing' the US (rolleyes) and it might upset you. Sorry about that. *Wait a minute, I'm not....really. That was a blatant lie. hahaha *.

already bored with this conversation.

#3532913 - 03/05/12 08:57 PM Re: Movies that re-write history [Re: Snap]  
Vertigo1 Offline
Veteran
Vertigo1  Offline
Veteran

Zeta Aquilae System
I'd like to add another, but it's a TV series:

The Pacific.

#3532919 - 03/05/12 09:04 PM Re: Movies that re-write history [Re: Vertigo1]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
I'd like to add another, but it's a TV series:

The Pacific.
I have yet to see that. The consensus seems to be that people didn't like it nearly as much as Band of Brothers.

#3532968 - 03/05/12 10:07 PM Re: Movies that re-write history [Re: Snap]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
The Pacific is worth watching, but it's not 10% of the greatness that IS Band of Brothers.
In BoB you get attached to all of the characters. In The Pacific, you don't know who it's really following, and you just don't get into the characters or situations well. Good actors, just the story/writing isn't on par. A missed opportunity. I hope they do another series, following naval battles in the pacific.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
#3533022 - 03/05/12 11:05 PM Re: Movies that re-write history [Re: Snap]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
I tried watchimg the pacific twice now and it has never held my interest long enough to get much past ep 3 the first time or 4 at the second attempt.Obviously BoB was more character driven whereas pacific seems more about the overall war and seriously lacking in character development.I couldnt really care less when watching what i did of pacific if any of them died , whereas in BoB i was a bit crushed everytime one of the men went down smile

I may struggle with it again one day as i heard it improves in the later episodes, does it ?

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#3533137 - 03/06/12 02:01 AM Re: Movies that re-write history [Re: Vertigo1]  
Biggles07 Offline
Biggles07  Offline

Newcastle Upon Tyne, England.
Quote:

already bored with this conversation.

Don't worry, the feeling is mutual. Not sure why you have it in yer noggin that I'm maliciously 'bashing' Americans, but its so ludicrously risible and wrong that frankly I don't care. smile Thats your problem, not mine. I do however note the utter absence of any evidence for this, and the fact that no one else appears to think so but you. *shrugs*.

C'est la vie. You might want to take up the 'Cheerio Challenge' in the mornings though. Give it a week. Its the food of Cheerful Champions, so 'start your day the crunchy sunshine way', just like me mate, Ajay. That cereal recommendation of yours changed my life cobber, cheers. Can't thank ye enough....What a cheery Aussie chap! biggrin I was a misery guts like some here, too. Days were forlorn and filled with gloom, now there's chunks of joy in me milky spoon.

hahaha

"I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals".

Sir Winston Churchill
#3533154 - 03/06/12 02:33 AM Re: Movies that re-write history [Re: Ajay]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Originally Posted By: Ajay
I tried watchimg the pacific twice now and it has never held my interest long enough to get much past ep 3 the first time or 4 at the second attempt.Obviously BoB was more character driven whereas pacific seems more about the overall war and seriously lacking in character development.I couldnt really care less when watching what i did of pacific if any of them died , whereas in BoB i was a bit crushed everytime one of the men went down smile

I may struggle with it again one day as i heard it improves in the later episodes, does it ?

Nope. LOL
Gets worse IMO. They should have stuck with following James Badge Dale's character. He's the guy that was on 24 season 3, btw.

#3533167 - 03/06/12 03:24 AM Re: Movies that re-write history [Re: Vertigo1]  
Patrocles Offline
Hotshot
Patrocles  Offline
Hotshot

Chicagoland
I don't think there is any movie that is 100% authentic to historical fact but IMHO, these are the ones that come to mind which get very close,

1. Patton
2. Tora Tora Tora
3. Das Boot
4. Gettysburg
5. Glory
6. Gods & Generals
7. Battle of Britain
8. The Longest Day
9. Downfall

It is my understanding that Das Boot is completely fictional.

You are correct. The U-boat was real (U-96) but the crew is fictional. I like to think of Das Boot as historical fiction; it follows history so closely that is appears to have actually existed.

Animal Mother > Rambo+ChuckNorris
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.