Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 608 of 608 1 2 606 607 608
#4623344 - 03/22/23 08:42 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) **** [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Online cool
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Online Cool
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Fittop. I’m rooting for you sister’s continued recovery, and how wonderful to have these young people in your life either active pilots or wanting to pursue a career as pilots.

The most memorable thing happening to me was on an evening walk late last fall when I wanted to catch the last of the evening light before sundown and winter would stop such activities for a while, and a little lad came bombing around the corner of his family’s house, stopped dead in his tracks, looked at me with his big eyes and mouth agape while I walked by, and then in a clear and most un-self-conscious voice he yelled for all to hear; “Dad, I’ve just seen a very, VERY old man!!”

This winter, I’ve been doing a lot of pool swimming at the local public bath and warming up in the sauna, a hallmark of Scandinavian civilisation, and again the youngsters, they’re about 7-8 years old or younger, are fascinated with age, often asking me how old I am. When I tell them, they usually remark that “That’s a lot of years!”

Oh, well, I suppose it is nice to be impressive in some way or other, even if it just for some modicum of longevity.

OG, I’m glad you liked the Spitfire. Especially the Lone Spit stunting for me almost took on a character of a living metal being, free, joyous, ethereal and beyond the limitations of gravity. Perhaps even a spirit, certainly an important link with the past.

OldDux, so glad to see a post from you. I hope you are well and content.

Last edited by McGonigle; 03/22/23 08:44 PM.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4623484 - 03/24/23 08:31 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Hello chaps,

Thanks for that wonderful video with the stirring music tribute Jens. I'm a Hurricane man myself but there ain't much in it! biggrin
I've always thought that the crackling roar of a Merlin is hard to beat - as exemplified in the opening sequence.

Any news of the Microprose B17 project yet? I thought it was up for beta testing at some point but perhaps I'm thinking of another forthcoming game? I remember Fittop being enthusiastic about what's left of us forming a crew! Who knows...it might even draw back some of our old contributors from SNAFU's thread! old_simmer

In the meantime I am on the initial stages of PS5 Hogwarts Legacy as a break from flight simming. The development of gameplay and graphics is really quite astonishing and it should hold my interest - for the time being. I think the resolution setting is 3840x2160 which my PC certainly couldn't handle.

'Find your enemy and shoot him down - everything else is unimportant.'

Manfred von Richtofen
---------------------------

#4630280 - 07/01/23 10:38 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
oldgrognard Online content
Administrator
oldgrognard  Online Content
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Well, it’s been a while since anyone posted here so I thought I would do so.

In 3 days it will be my 70th birthday. Oh my; where have the years gone ?

I’ve been up to my usual activities, but have added a new one. I did some drag racing. Rented dragsters. Real strip with a lot of cars. I won 5 out of my 7 runs. Very interesting to be part of the show. I was fascinated with how everything runs out of the public view. I liked learning the process and learning all the hand and arm signals. It was a fun thing to do. I will probably do it again.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4630313 - 07/02/23 03:01 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Online cool
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Online Cool
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
OG; In advance I wish you a very happy birthday, if I can do so without breaking conventions and superstitions involving invoking bad luck or misfortune.

Clearly we miss our old pal Roger to check in and tell us about the latest events concerning the cat, the grandchildren and offer his general musings.

The years whizz by but somehow events from many years ago often seem to be more present to me than the present moment.

I remember from a very young age that when we turned on that rather new appliance called a television set, a certain old and haggard, gaunt lady appeared or was discussed, in many broadcasts but at the time I didn't realize that she had died the same year I was born. A fact I only looked it up very recently and was somewhat surprised by. This tells me something about the cultural impact on society of that person. These days I think that that person is slowly fading into history's haze of obscurity, perhaps already reassessed in some part due to her biography, written by Judith Thurman.

The title of the book reveals the subject of the biography and the gaunt old lady I mentioned: Isak Dinesen: The Life of a Storyteller.

Now, I've never, ever been interested in the literary body of work of Dinesen who may be best known for her novel Out of Africa and a short story tuned into an Oscar nominated -and winning move; Bebette's Feast and I must admit to not having read the story nor watched the movies. I must also confess that I am not inclined to start reading her now. As an autoher she's simply not that interesting to me.

However;

Knowing for at least six months prior that I would be attending a birthday party in the family and staying over in a hotel right next to the old residence of Dinesen, I read the biography, - including a biography on her younger brother Tommy who incidentally won the VC in WW1. I watched a few documentaries and visited the residence; Rungstedlund, early June. The outside walls were sadly covered due to renovation. Since Dinesen's death the building has been left unchanged as a museum to it's last resident and the garden and woods were open also to non-paying visitors.

Personally, I think her father who was a captain in the Danish army during the greatest crisis to the country in the 19th century - the disastrous war in 1864 - and the aforementioned brother are far more interesting than Blixen.Sadly, to my knowledge the books by Tom Buk-Swienty covering these subjects are not available in english, except "1864"

The Captain lived in Vermont I think it was, for some years living a very basic life as hunter among the natives.

Well, the birthday party was certainly very good and it was comforting to know that I can still hold my cocktails like a champion, and talk with the younger people. The only set with which I was conversationally challenged, was with the birthday boys cousins, over from the mainland and stout and quiet of character and disposition. Ask them a fairly open question and they would politely answer it with an admirable economy of words, and they would very rarely initiate a conversation themselves, except when asking;

"So tell me, just WHO are you?"

And That's What Happened.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
Page 608 of 608 1 2 606 607 608

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.