Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#3526482 - 02/26/12 04:34 PM Re: Friday update [Re: kilosierra]  
BKHZ_Furbs Offline
BKHZ_Furbs  Offline

LOL going to try that tonight Avimimus, il let you know how it goes.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3526527 - 02/26/12 06:05 PM Re: Friday update [Re: kilosierra]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
Originally Posted By: Avimimus
It is quite the logical hint - get your girlfriend or wife to sit on your lap while flying (re-enacting the scene) and the sim becomes a romantic evening (rather than competition). IMHO, it doesn't actually work, but it is a nice sentiment on his part.

Oh come on, Spitgirl was the dumbest idea ever seen in a sim.

Should have been Spitcamel. That would have been true love.

[Linked Image]
#3526604 - 02/26/12 08:56 PM Re: Friday update [Re: HeinKill]  
Avimimus Offline
Two-speed Five-Blade Fan
Avimimus  Offline
Two-speed Five-Blade Fan

Canada
HeinKill, the entire Western and Eastern world will surely rush to judge your love - so I'll do you the favour of not joining in with them. While, I'm not personally attracted in that way - I'll concede, at least, that they are admirable creatures.

#3526610 - 02/26/12 09:07 PM Re: Friday update [Re: kilosierra]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
THAT MAN!!.. GET YOUR FLIPPIN EARS CLEANED!.. (have you seen how filthy they are??) The camel looks more hygenic.

#3526647 - 02/26/12 10:18 PM Re: Friday update [Re: kilosierra]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
I have my new Battle for Moscow Simpit ready boys!

And here, exclusive to SimHQ visitors, I have a preview of the alpha for the next 1C Flight Sim in development, "Battle for Bengazi" showing lifelike lighting and models, and fully functional attack camel (hull down).

[Linked Image]
#3526874 - 02/27/12 08:00 AM Re: Friday update [Re: kilosierra]  
PV1 Offline
sometime mudslinger
PV1  Offline
sometime mudslinger

Ladner, Wet Coast, Canada

Speaking of Spitgirl, I did a forum search and there's surprisingly little discussion.
I found this image from one of Heinkill's threads:

This looks rather like what I get with the in-cockpit view, but the black region forms a
ring cropping out about 2/3s of the screen, all the way around, ie it is impossible to see
enough to fly. Is this what everybody sees, and is there any way to move ones view position
forward, presumably to emerge from the centre of the flying helmet which engulfs one in this
view but no other?

Even if this is just a joke, someone ought to have taken the time to make it work right...

#3526892 - 02/27/12 08:58 AM Re: Friday update [Re: kilosierra]  
PV1 Offline
sometime mudslinger
PV1  Offline
sometime mudslinger

Ladner, Wet Coast, Canada
OK, I didn't mean to interrupt the camel theme which developed while
I was off searching on spitgirl, so here is an image (linked out,
as it isn't one of mine, and I seem to recall that such items aren't allowed
to be inline here) sort of in keeping with the general topic
http://michaelexile.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/moscoso66cw.jpg?w=500&h=453

Well, I know there are much better images out there, some of them
also moscoso's, but I can't find them without a much longer search.

#3526917 - 02/27/12 10:03 AM Re: Friday update [Re: Avimimus]  
commorange Offline
commorange  Offline

Troy, OH
I find this quite exciting - I figure it increases the probability that they'll model collisions with trees... (given time)

I got Pacific Fighters because I wanted to try flying the Ki-43, but more importantly, because it would lower the daylight muzzleflashes on my Mig-3... The dev's can't please everyone: If they announced they were making a submarine sim - I wouldn't be thrilled, but I'd still be excited to have AI submarines which dive when under attack wink

IMHO, at some point you have to decide between a glass-half-full or a glass-half-empty. The first is more fun.

Ah the Ki-43 Oscar. Possibly the most maneuverable fighter of WW2, but much too slow . You can give P-40's and Wildcats a handful but against later
allied planes its hopelessly outclassed. Also only armed with two weak MG's. Aim for the Engine or cockpit and hope to critically damage the engine or pilot.. I could be wrong but American Ace Neal Kearby in a P-47 was reported to have been shot down by an Oscar that got a lucky burst into his cockpit. (But it might have been a Ki-61 Tony that got him). I built a scale model Oscar once. Such a tiny cockpit. Those Japanese Army pilots had to have been jockey size to fit in it. The could only have weighed 130-140 lbs tops and not taller than about 5' 6" if that. Online I had some fun with it but extreme aggravation. For 20 minutes I flew circles around some guy in a Hellcat till I ran out of ammo and had to RTB. As you might guess the jerk followed me all the way back and killed me when I was trying to land. What a hero.

my system: Intel Core I7 920 @ 3570ghz
Asus P6T MB
6 GB OCZ DDR3 RAM , dram freq 680 mhz, NB freq 2720 mhz
Radeon HD 4870 w/ 1 Gb vram
OS.. Windows 7 professional 64 bit
WD 2 TB hard disk drive etc.

#3526918 - 02/27/12 10:09 AM Re: Friday update [Re: Para_Bellum]  
commorange Offline
commorange  Offline

Troy, OH
Originally Posted By: Para_Bellum
I envy you for your optimism, Aimimus. I really do.

I'd actually be happy if I had a glass half full. At the moment I feel like I've ordered a glass of water, got a tambourine instead and get told that I'll get a pair of sandals to go with that sometime in the future. That's probably great if you like tambourines and sandals but I just want a glass of water thank you.

wink

I feel much the same Para. Except I feel like I booked a flight to Russia in a state of the art Tupolev jet airliner seated in first class with a 5 course meal. But the airliner turned out to be a Cardboard box and the meal was a slice of moldy bread and warm water.

Last edited by commorange; 02/27/12 10:10 AM.

my system: Intel Core I7 920 @ 3570ghz
Asus P6T MB
6 GB OCZ DDR3 RAM , dram freq 680 mhz, NB freq 2720 mhz
Radeon HD 4870 w/ 1 Gb vram
OS.. Windows 7 professional 64 bit
WD 2 TB hard disk drive etc.

#3526922 - 02/27/12 10:30 AM Re: Friday update [Re: commorange]  
Aces High 2 Offline
AKA: "Aces" (Sim123)
Aces High 2  Offline
AKA: "Aces" (Sim123)

Kingston, Surrey, UK.
Originally Posted By: commorange

I feel like I booked a flight to Russia in a state of the art Tupolev jet airliner seated in first class with a 5 course meal. But the airliner turned out to be a Cardboard box and the meal was a slice of moldy bread and warm water.

You've obviously not flown with "Sleezy Jet" lately mate biggrin

Best regards

Aces

"IL-2 MAT Manager" program co-dev., Silent Hunter III "Super Turms", "Super Pens", Multi-Skin Bombers dev. for Wings of Victory BDG version 2.10 + various Steel Fury mods. BDG member, "Modder".

Aces' Downloads: http://tinyurl.com/bn2aoqt
Aces' YouTube: http://tinyurl.com/clvy94f
My "Stuka Vor" Film: https://vimeo.com/196439362
CloD Virtual Cockpits Vid: https://youtu.be/Emn2dkYGk74
BoS Bump Maps Vid: https://youtu.be/J24WAVDwo-M
My PhotoArt/Virtual Galleries: http://www.leighkempphotoart.co.uk/
#3527246 - 02/27/12 07:00 PM Re: Friday update [Re: commorange]  
Chivas Offline
Chivas  Offline

B.C. Canada
Originally Posted By: commorange
I find this quite exciting - I figure it increases the probability that they'll model collisions with trees... (given time)

I got Pacific Fighters because I wanted to try flying the Ki-43, but more importantly, because it would lower the daylight muzzleflashes on my Mig-3... The dev's can't please everyone: If they announced they were making a submarine sim - I wouldn't be thrilled, but I'd still be excited to have AI submarines which dive when under attack wink

IMHO, at some point you have to decide between a glass-half-full or a glass-half-empty. The first is more fun.

Ah the Ki-43 Oscar. Possibly the most maneuverable fighter of WW2, but much too slow . You can give P-40's and Wildcats a handful but against later
allied planes its hopelessly outclassed. Also only armed with two weak MG's. Aim for the Engine or cockpit and hope to critically damage the engine or pilot.. I could be wrong but American Ace Neal Kearby in a P-47 was reported to have been shot down by an Oscar that got a lucky burst into his cockpit. (But it might have been a Ki-61 Tony that got him). I built a scale model Oscar once. Such a tiny cockpit. Those Japanese Army pilots had to have been jockey size to fit in it. The could only have weighed 130-140 lbs tops and not taller than about 5' 6" if that. Online I had some fun with it but extreme aggravation. For 20 minutes I flew circles around some guy in a Hellcat till I ran out of ammo and had to RTB. As you might guess the jerk followed me all the way back and killed me when I was trying to land. What a hero.

War is hell, you should have saved some of that ammo to protect yourself on the way home.

Intel core I7 4790K @ 4.4
Asus Maximus Hero VII Motherboard
16 gigs DDR3 2133
EVGA GTX980Ti
Oculus Rift
LG 37" LCD
BLack Mamba III Joystick
Cougar Throttle/X55 Throttle/Saitek Levers
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
Voice Activation Controls
#3527421 - 02/27/12 11:32 PM Re: Friday update [Re: kilosierra]  
JAMF Offline
Frugalite & P-38 fan
JAMF  Offline
Frugalite & P-38 fan

The Netherlands
Big advantage to manable flak guns: you can take down the aircraft you love to hate.

Steam loc blowing up: my no.1 request. Now just one example of a bullet ridled boiler geysering all steam without blowing up and we'd have more reasons to attack the "little engine tbat could" to see if the end result is different.

When will vehicles have momentum, I wonder? I hope someday they will move further after being destroyed.

#3527700 - 02/28/12 12:19 PM Re: Friday update [Re: JAMF]  
Biggles07 Offline
Biggles07  Offline

Newcastle Upon Tyne, England.
Originally Posted By: JAMF
Big advantage to manable flak guns: you can take down the aircraft you love to hate.

Steam loc blowing up: my no.1 request. Now just one example of a bullet ridled boiler geysering all steam without blowing up and we'd have more reasons to attack the "little engine tbat could" to see if the end result is different.

When will vehicles have momentum, I wonder? I hope someday they will move further after being destroyed.

JAMF mate, the locomotive 'Geyser of steam' explosion thing has been in since day one, not a new addition....does look quite good though. smile I agree it would be great if they could make it like RoF does too, with damage causing steam leaks from the engine as well. The vehicles have always had an at least rudimentary physics model. I remember one of the first things I did in the FMB was to set up stationary trucks and strafe them which is always fun....but their behaviour at the time was funny and bizarre (sometimes being blasted 50ft into the air, and unrealistically 50ft along the ground from .303's etc...fuel truck or not). I mentioned this in bug threads at the time. Haven't checked to see if later patches fixed this, it was very early on.

Looks like they will be improving this anyways, which is good news I suppose. More bothered about the planes however tbh, hehe. smile

Heres a loc steam explosion from way back last year.

Looking forward to the patch, hope its this Friday....I get the impression we may possibly even get a mid week surprise. *twiddles thumbs*. Hoping this friday at the latest. Whats another week or so though, if not. smile

Last edited by Biggles07; 02/28/12 12:23 PM. Reason: addendum

"I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals".

Sir Winston Churchill
#3527746 - 02/28/12 01:54 PM Re: Friday update [Re: kilosierra]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
i'm still freaking out that there is a camelphotos.com.

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#3527987 - 02/28/12 06:40 PM Re: Friday update [Re: Ajay]  
Bokononist Offline
Currently using: Occams Electric Shaver
Bokononist  Offline
Currently using: Occams Electric Shaver

Liverpool, UK (Cornish exile)
Originally Posted By: Ajay
i'm still freaking out that there is a camelphotos.com.

Yes, could be a new niche market for a realistic camel sim, theres been nothing since Jeff Minters 'Attack of the Mutant Camels'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IHc7XqJeTw

Admittedly Llamatron did follow on several platforms including my beloved Atari ST but I think that forked the market, all of the camel purists were furious at the decision to use Llamas instead of camels for the 'sequel' after that there was no way back...

Until now maybe..........

Last edited by Bokononist; 02/28/12 06:47 PM.

"Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly; Man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?' Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land; Man got to tell himself he understand." - A calypso.

i5 2500K@4.5Ghz | MSI P67A-GD53 | 8G DDR3 Corsair@1600 | Gainward GLH 460x2 SLI oc | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Antec Truepower New 750W PSU | Win 7 64bit | Black Widow HOTAS | Freetrack 2.2/PS3 eyetoy

#3528120 - 02/28/12 08:59 PM Re: Friday update [Re: Biggles07]  
JAMF Offline
Frugalite & P-38 fan
JAMF  Offline
Frugalite & P-38 fan

The Netherlands
Originally Posted By: Biggles07
I agree it would be great if they could make it like RoF does too, with damage causing steam leaks from the engine as well. The vehicles have always had an at least rudimentary physics model. I remember one of the first things I did in the FMB was to set up stationary trucks and strafe them which is always fun....but their behaviour at the time was funny and bizarre (sometimes being blasted 50ft into the air, and unrealistically 50ft along the ground from .303's etc...fuel truck or not). I mentioned this in bug threads at the time.

Ah. Not flown much. I'm one of those that bought the game on "day one" and fires it up ever so often to see if they managed to get it running smooth on Eyefinity. I then turn it of again til the next patch.

Pet peeve is the destroyed vehicles coming to an instant halt, so it's missing that part of the
rudimentary physics. They just appear to replace the whole model with the damaged model on the spot where it was destroyed. No transfer of speed vector. (with a new deceleration added).

#3528234 - 02/28/12 11:47 PM Re: Friday update [Re: JAMF]  
Chivas Offline
Chivas  Offline

B.C. Canada
Originally Posted By: JAMF
Originally Posted By: Biggles07
I agree it would be great if they could make it like RoF does too, with damage causing steam leaks from the engine as well. The vehicles have always had an at least rudimentary physics model. I remember one of the first things I did in the FMB was to set up stationary trucks and strafe them which is always fun....but their behaviour at the time was funny and bizarre (sometimes being blasted 50ft into the air, and unrealistically 50ft along the ground from .303's etc...fuel truck or not). I mentioned this in bug threads at the time.

Ah. Not flown much. I'm one of those that bought the game on "day one" and fires it up ever so often to see if they managed to get it running smooth on Eyefinity. I then turn it of again til the next patch.

Pet peeve is the destroyed vehicles coming to an instant halt, so it's missing that part of the
rudimentary physics. They just appear to replace the whole model with the damaged model on the spot where it was destroyed. No transfer of speed vector. (with a new deceleration added).

When you read the update about the vehicles you will come across this statement from BlackSix.

"We have also made other changes since the version in which the video was made. The damage model for the vehicles was improved. Destroyed ground objects have inertia and continue moving after death. Component damage system (tracks, crew, gunners etc) has also been improved. Unfortunately due to yesterday being an official holiday we simply had no time to make additional footage and splice it into the video" http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=29967

Last edited by Chivas; 02/28/12 11:50 PM.

16 gigs DDR3 2133
EVGA GTX980Ti
Oculus Rift
LG 37" LCD
BLack Mamba III Joystick
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
#3528384 - 02/29/12 04:22 AM Re: Friday update [Re: kilosierra]  
FIScott Offline
FIScott  Offline

It takes about 10 minuts from the release of an update post for the pertinent facts to be lost in a sea of opinions and 'old chestnuts' getting a public roasting again. It is indications like the physics re-work for ground vehicles that actually matter in terms of where the developers are trying to take the sim.

I've pondered (admittedly not extensively due to having a life) the ground vehicles inclusion and by the looks of the clip it reminds me a lot of Red Orchestra/ Darkest Hour. I had many hours enjoyment in those games so if I can do it again at some stage in the future in a decent flightsim I would be happy. I don't think I would be alone in that by any stretch of the imagination and I do not think that the wave of anti tank sentiment is an objection to that concept. Instead I think that the larger proportion of those daft enough to dip their toes in the toxic swamps of Cliffs of Dover forums are holding their breath for the major update that we all hope will set this game on the road to success. Anything that is perceived (rightly or wrongly) to derail or delay that is an instant target for hostility.

#3528480 - 02/29/12 08:06 AM Re: Friday update [Re: FIScott]  
Chivas Offline
Chivas  Offline

B.C. Canada
Originally Posted By: FIScott
It takes about 10 minuts from the release of an update post for the pertinent facts to be lost in a sea of opinions and 'old chestnuts' getting a public roasting again. It is indications like the physics re-work for ground vehicles that actually matter in terms of where the developers are trying to take the sim.

I've pondered (admittedly not extensively due to having a life) the ground vehicles inclusion and by the looks of the clip it reminds me a lot of Red Orchestra/ Darkest Hour. I had many hours enjoyment in those games so if I can do it again at some stage in the future in a decent flightsim I would be happy. I don't think I would be alone in that by any stretch of the imagination and I do not think that the wave of anti tank sentiment is an objection to that concept. Instead I think that the larger proportion of those daft enough to dip their toes in the toxic swamps of Cliffs of Dover forums are holding their breath for the major update that we all hope will set this game on the road to success. Anything that is perceived (rightly or wrongly) to derail or delay that is an instant target for hostility.

This pertinent fact about the "Destroyed ground objects have inertia" was in the first post in the latest update thread.

I agree some people could be concerned that the ground vehicle detail could take away from the air combat detail. Personally I don't see it as a concern.

Oleg has hinted a few times on the direction he wants to take his new game engine. Heres a post from kendo65 where he post a translated Oleg interview.

Originally Posted by kendo65
Regarding the debate on controllable tanks, AA, etc, I came across a pdf file I'd saved with an interview with Oleg from Feb 2009. It's an English translation of an interview originally posted on a Russian site - spread-wings.ru (?). English translation is by Luthier

http://spread-wings.ru/content/view/154/1/

Although obviously out of date there is some interesting talk about the goals they had in mind back then about SOW/COD future development. I can't post the pdf as it's 2.66MB (don't know if the pdf is still available online?), but here are some interesting excerpts (my highlights in bold)

Q: You’ve stated many times in previous interviews that BoB will be drastically different from the
Il-2 series. What do you mean by that?

Oleg: Not a very easy question to answer, but I’ll try to respond the best I can without divulging some secret information.

1. The engine and the system we’re developing is built from the ground up to allow future expansions. Each new product can be stand-alone, or it can plug in with the others starting with BoB, following the success of Pacific Fighters which proved that this model can be viable.

2. We’re developing a system that is more than just a flight sim, but can be a sub sim, PT boat sim, tank sim, helicopter sim, etc. By the way, we just might have a flyable autogyro in BoB.

3. We’re also writing a completely new, drastically improved online code with multiple modes and features. It can even support a server-based MMO with a monthly fee. This of course won’t happen with BoB itself, but is possible on its engine, possibly made by other teams that further develop into this direction.

4. Quality level for ground and air objects is ages beyond what was one with Il-2. I don’t think that such a huge leap will be possible after BoB; the only changes that can happen is increase in polycount or texture size, or more detailed interior details. Even Il-2 was often used as a reference by other developers, and BoB will even have uses for movies.

5. We’re working on an add-on and expansion module that will not affect the online playing field. After BoB is released we plan to publish a set of tools that will allow end-users to:
* Create new planes;
* Create new vehicles, tanks, ships, etc;
* Create new static objects, such as building, bridges, equipment, etc;
* Create new maps, with limits on total size. We’ll leave large maps for ourselves, for our own new sims.

Q: And now Oleg, please go into more details on your thoughts of the future of Storm of War
compared to Il-2, given the potential you’ve built into the engine from the start.

Oleg: Considering what I’ve said already, and given an initial commercial success of BoB, here’s what I see:

1. Some number of developers internationally that worked with MSFS, and probably a large part of them too, will convert to our side. This is especially to be expected considering the recent closing of Aces studio. So these add-on developers might just start making add-ons for Storm of War. I think this might even include jets, including modern ones. At the very least I would expect someone to do Vietnam, not to mention WWI. This
should happen too. Generally WWI aircraft are easier to model and program, since they don’t have such complex aerodynamics, no retractable landing gear, propeller pitch, and other advanced devices. There’s also no radio, which means there’s no need to develop and record radio chatter.

2. Korea, in conjunction with RRG. Its development is now in background mode. Their
team is now working with us finishing up planes for BoB, and also modeling ships.

3. Africa, Malta, USSR. These are most appealing choices for us. Even though we know for sure that the Pacific is the most interesting subject matter for the international market, besides Battle of Britain that is. Generally the Eastern Front is a bit easier for us to do since we have loads more data on it, and there’s less variety of vehicles and aircraft to model than all the other fronts.

4. Continuing combat around the English Channel, which will largely be made via expansions since we’ll already have the main map.

5. Cooperation with other teams to create other games (perhaps by selling the engine). For example, an MMO with controllable soldiers and submarines etc. Or even a space sim around planet surfaces with somewhat realistic physics.

6. Console variants with simplified features.

Last edited by Chivas; 02/29/12 08:08 AM.

16 gigs DDR3 2133
EVGA GTX980Ti
Oculus Rift
LG 37" LCD
BLack Mamba III Joystick
Saitek Pro Rudder pedals
#3529300 - 03/01/12 06:21 AM Re: Friday update [Re: kilosierra]  
BKHZ_Furbs Offline
BKHZ_Furbs  Offline

Oleg said alot of things back in the day Chivas, alot has changed since then. I bet he didn't say "by the way im bailing out of all this on day 1 of release"

You can take all of that with a pinch of very Russian salt.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.