Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#3525203 - 02/24/12 10:39 AM Reflections on Multi-player  
Bandy Offline
Bandy  Offline

Wishing I was in the La Cloche
Well I finally took the MP plunge and have zero regrets, but on reflection some concerns. What is on your 'pro and con' list for multiplayer?

Pros:
1) Unrivaled jaw dropping, adrenalin pumping, A2A combat with real people! thumbsup
2) In most cases a good selection of buses and crates.
3) Dozens of servers to choose from.

Cons:
1) Some of those 'real' people! There are b@stards everywhere pitchafit , and we will always have to put up with them.
2) When the server rotates, or you change servers, you might have to change your bus/crate, which can be a big adjustment that can embarrass you rolleyes
3) Nobody on 95% of the dozens of servers... WTF?
4) My hand turns into a claw (a la George Costanza) after a mighty session...
5) Occasional disconnects, but I'm a newbie, so not sure if this is sampling bias from my few experiences.

I'm sure I'll add to my list as I reflect more, and get back to more MP. See you in the sky, hopefully before you see me!

4x2.66 GHz Xeons, XFX 4870 1 GB, 11 GB DDR2 RAM, Win7 Pro x64, 120 GB OCZ Vertex2 (MLC, Sandforce)
26" VIZIO 1920x1200, Logitech FF 3D Pro, CH pedals, Track IR4
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3525205 - 02/24/12 11:03 AM Re: Reflections on Multi-player [Re: Bandy]  
redpiano Offline
redpiano  Offline

CONS

1. Low level dogfights/recon planes/bombers

2. Use of comms, teamspeak/ventrilo

3. Inconvenient, like you said nobody is online in 95% of the servers.

4. Constant disconnects, happens to everyone it's a ROF thing, apparently ROF.exe crashes are also common in MP.

PROS

1. Real people pose a better challenge, human error and cooperation using real combat tactics.

2. More excitement and feeling of fear when you're at risk of being shot down.

3. More opponents to fight at one time if you get online at the right time of day and I like being able to just take off, form up on someone and hunt.

#3525249 - 02/24/12 02:08 PM Re: Reflections on Multi-player [Re: Bandy]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

I get tired of the way the servers rotate so fast. Normally by the time I log in and get a good bit of altitude it tells me I have 10 minutes to land.

I wish they would set the servers to a more dedicated map and only rotate it every other day or so.

#3525261 - 02/24/12 02:22 PM Re: Reflections on Multi-player [Re: Bandy]  
SYN_Jedders Offline
SYN_Jedders  Offline

Like everything in the online world there are limitations. In the case of rotating maps its a "damned if you do, damned if you dont" kinda deal where one guy wants fast rotating maps and the next wants day long jobs.

Im surprised about the "disconnect" issue, mind you. I cant remember the last time I had one. I can only assume the quality of some ppls isp is letting them down.

Multiplayer is a love/hate relationship. Yes human to human fighting is best imho but it also brings along the fact that there are real ppl there...and real ppl have real opinions....mostly wildly different from everyone elses.

Im glad you took the plunge. Join one of the servers which are regularly full and have some fun.

oh yeh:

Pros: Real human on human fighting, online stats to monitor how you are getting along, being part of a "community"

Cons: Trying to please everyone all of the time while running a server :P

#3525429 - 02/24/12 05:58 PM Re: Reflections on Multi-player [Re: SYN_Jedders]  
Bandy Offline
Bandy  Offline

EDIT: I do not wish to come off as all negative (and it seems I may have), far from it, I've had some incredible moments online. I spawned on New Wings with a Camel and an N17 one time, and we all took off together and headed over the lake. We quickly engaged a Dr1, and I think an Alb was there too, and while distracting both the N17 merchant put down the smug Dr1! It was great fun, and good teamwork. If you haven't tried multiplayer, it really is worth just logging onto a server to give it a shot. Expect to be shot down, and expect to learn more in one evening than a year of fighting AI...

Originally Posted By: SYN_Jed
Like everything in the online world there are limitations. ... online stats to monitor how you are getting along, being part of a "community"
You'd never know it from the way some people (I use that term loosely) act. I had to do a double take when I read that the 'New Wings' server condoned vulching, yet allowed for a flare to be fired to say one is 'giving up' to land. Sorry, in for a penny, in for a pound. If you vulch don't expect ANY quarter from me (and I'll say none was given for vulchers...).

While online stats are likely a selling point, I think it leads to a lot of juvenile behaviour among men who should know better.

ANYWAYS, another observation from last night. I find in my brief excursions online that the Central pilots seem to be better at grouping up and flying as a unit than the Entente pilots. Must be that teutonic erg to organize... duck
Entente folks don't seem to like it when I try to fly formation with them, they get all edgy...

It is remarkable how you can tell the experience level of a pilot just by the way they maneuver, not that I'm any better most times, but I can hold my own (sometimes rolleyes ). I probably shouldn't choose the Camel so often, but I'm still getting the hang of radiator management, so choose to fly rotaries.

I was hoping to find more teamwork, more of a historic feeling to fulfill my interest. I tried the Vintage mission on the weekend, and was hit by ground fire both times, then had to get back to RL, so maybe I'll give it another chance. Any other options to achieve that 'squadron feeling' ???

Last edited by Bandy; 02/24/12 06:08 PM.

4x2.66 GHz Xeons, XFX 4870 1 GB, 11 GB DDR2 RAM, Win7 Pro x64, 120 GB OCZ Vertex2 (MLC, Sandforce)
#3525460 - 02/24/12 06:36 PM Re: Reflections on Multi-player [Re: Bandy]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

Join a group of people who use a TS server. While TS might be historically inaccurate for this time period there was a lot of other means of communication that these pilots used that we either can not do in game or is not feasible to do.

Besides if you have ever been on a TS server when a fight breaks out you would know that it does not help you at all but it does help grouping up and launching/flying together right up until the fight.

#3525506 - 02/24/12 07:44 PM Re: Reflections on Multi-player [Re: Bandy]  
LeadTurn_SD Offline
LeadTurn_SD  Offline

Hilo, Hawaii USA
Originally Posted By: Bandy
EDIT: I do not wish to come off as all negative (and it seems I may have), far from it, I've had some incredible moments online. I spawned on New Wings with a Camel and an N17 one time, and we all took off together and headed over the lake. We quickly engaged a Dr1, and I think an Alb was there too, and while distracting both the N17 merchant put down the smug Dr1! It was great fun, and good teamwork. If you haven't tried multiplayer, it really is worth just logging onto a server to give it a shot. Expect to be shot down, and expect to learn more in one evening than a year of fighting AI...

Originally Posted By: SYN_Jed
Like everything in the online world there are limitations. ... online stats to monitor how you are getting along, being part of a "community"
You'd never know it from the way some people (I use that term loosely) act. I had to do a double take when I read that the 'New Wings' server condoned vulching, yet allowed for a flare to be fired to say one is 'giving up' to land. Sorry, in for a penny, in for a pound. If you vulch don't expect ANY quarter from me (and I'll say none was given for vulchers...).

While online stats are likely a selling point, I think it leads to a lot of juvenile behaviour among men who should know better.

ANYWAYS, another observation from last night. I find in my brief excursions online that the Central pilots seem to be better at grouping up and flying as a unit than the Entente pilots. Must be that teutonic erg to organize... duck
Entente folks don't seem to like it when I try to fly formation with them, they get all edgy...

It is remarkable how you can tell the experience level of a pilot just by the way they maneuver, not that I'm any better most times, but I can hold my own (sometimes rolleyes ). I probably shouldn't choose the Camel so often, but I'm still getting the hang of radiator management, so choose to fly rotaries.

I was hoping to find more teamwork, more of a historic feeling to fulfill my interest. I tried the Vintage mission on the weekend, and was hit by ground fire both times, then had to get back to RL, so maybe I'll give it another chance.

Any other options to achieve that 'squadron feeling' ???

I think to get that "squadron feeling", you probably need to join an online squadron.

Our little group met online at the old JCN server, flying Fighters Anthology.... 14 years ago? We've flown each other's "wing" in a variety of sims since then.

We've just started flying RoF together, flying Co-op and "hybrid" co-op missions (based on Team Deathmatch, but with AI planes in the mission, so it flies like a human versus AI co-op, but allows respawn and join-on-the-fly)....

We are not "noob" pilots, but are still very much "noobs" in RoF wink

Pro's and Con's:

1.) The "cons" of THIS type of multiplayer (squadron-based)? You do need to set a very specific date & time for everyone to meet and fly together for a couple-few hours. Voice comms (we use TeamSpeak 3) are mandatory. Finding a time to fly that works for everyone can be the biggest hurdle for most people. Conflicting real-life schedules and different time zones create challenges.

2.) The "pro's" are unsurpassed cooperation and "immersion"; and FUN!! You get to fly with your online buddies.

So, if you are looking for a "squadron" atmosphere.... look to see if any RoF squadrons are "recruiting".

Best wishes.

LeadTurn_SD
XO VMF-132 Shadow Demons
Specs: CPU: Intel i5 760 MEM: 8Gb, Video: AMD HD 6850, OS: Win 7 64 bit
#3525527 - 02/24/12 08:02 PM Re: Reflections on Multi-player [Re: LeadTurn_SD]  
Bandy Offline
Bandy  Offline

Originally Posted By: LeadTurn_SD
... So, if you are looking for a "squadron" atmosphere.... look to see if any RoF squadrons are "recruiting".
Yes, I was thinking the same thing, and have heard about many of the RoF squadrons and seen their members in the forums, and have been invited to one or two.

One would think that given the difficulty of getting everyone's schedules lined up that squadrons would want a surplus of people to fill in the spaces, but what do I know about managing a squadron biggrin

So are many of the empty servers squadron servers, used only once in a while? When I see a few people in an open server I sometimes join in, always introduce myself and ask, but then like pixie dust they just disappear in a pinch. confused

#3525543 - 02/24/12 08:15 PM Re: Reflections on Multi-player [Re: redpiano]  
Bandy Offline
Bandy  Offline

Originally Posted By: redpiano
CONS

Yes, most fights always seem to be in the weeds, though so far I've had a few good encounters higher up, that of course ended up low...
What have you against recon and bombers? That seems a strange thing to look upon with negativity.

I think I ran into a bunch of huns using TS last night, they were all over me like a pack of hyenas. Should have know better and escaped vertically as I was in a Tripehound and they in Albs. but foolishly decided to try to even the odds. Reamed me a new one they did and not so much as a S!

If I may shamelessly engage in stereotyping, I think there are real cultural differences between how the opposite sides approach RoF... (and I'm not talking about our wives...) exitstageleft

Last edited by Bandy; 02/24/12 08:17 PM.

#3525572 - 02/24/12 08:47 PM Re: Reflections on Multi-player [Re: Bandy]  
enigma6584 Offline
enigma6584  Offline

Wisconsin, USA
I was wondering why do people use TS in this sim? I can see using it to organize the flights while on the ground, talk about your plan of attack etc., but using it in flight? Just doesn't seem right in a WWI sim.

#3525593 - 02/24/12 09:09 PM Re: Reflections on Multi-player [Re: Bandy]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

In wwi planes communicated with hand signals, plane movements and various other things. We currently only have a few hand signals.

WWI Pilots spend most of their day practicing signals, getting to know their fellow pilots, learning the terrain, memorizing emergency procedures and flight plans. It was their job and their lives depended on it.

We today play this as a game. As such no one is going to spend 4 hours a day practicing communication techniques and memorizing the terrain. We also do not have any form of ready room to share our plans, photos or maps. 4 hours of preflight time is compressed into the 30 seconds before you click fly and 99% of the pilots out there are only looking for a bit of fun and do not take this so seriously.

So the environment is nto the same from wwi to a game about wwi. Why would you expect people to treat it any differently?

I would go even further and say that squad communications in flight back there were better than communication over team speak now for most squads.

Instead of everyone in the squadron knowing the map, plan, plane recognitions, basic and advanced flight techniques and hand signals for communication it all comes down to the flight leader generally. That one flight leader can not spend all day printing maps and trying to explain a flight plan to pilots for a server that rotates to a different map every 30 minutes. Instead you have to generate what would have taken 4-8 hours in a matter of minutes and explain that plan to your pilots in even less time.

To cope with that change most people just log into team speak and explain what they are doing in flight while climbing out of the aerodrome.

WWI is not anything like a WWI sim and the limitations of the sim mean that you can not use historic methods of communication because people do not have the time give RoF a full time job's worth of hours. Maybe you feel differently about it than I do but I find the argument ridiculous.

#3525609 - 02/24/12 09:32 PM Re: Reflections on Multi-player [Re: Bandy]  
Bandy Offline
Bandy  Offline

Well, I can see both sides so don't find it overly ridiculous. It does provide a tremendous advantage to gaggles of friends who come online together; but would it have been equivalent/the same as WWI methods of communication? Don't kid yourself.

That said, it is just a game (although layered on a very realistic flight simulation and environmental engine), and perhaps we're just jealous of those who can 'get it together' and fly as a hyena pack.

Off to give it another go! It is super addictive. I lasted a really long time this morning (it is a day off, kid in school, why not?), almost running out of gas before the left-hand spin of the Camel let me down...

#3525624 - 02/24/12 09:53 PM Re: Reflections on Multi-player [Re: Bandy]  
LeadTurn_SD Offline
LeadTurn_SD  Offline

Hilo, Hawaii USA
Our group began flying cooperatively in the days prior to voice comms. This presented HUGE challenges:

1. Meeting online pregame.
2. Communicating pre-flight (before entering the mission).
3. Communicating during the mission.
4. Communicating post-flight

And, if connection was lost by any player (remember, these were the days of dial-up connections for most people), communicating with those still inflight while you sat at desktop trying to figure out why your game crashed.

We used ICQ, server lobby text chat and ingame text chat, but these solutions were less than ideal.

Voice comms solved those daunting problems.

No, having "radio comms" is not realistic, but when I sit in front of my computer here in Hawaii, and fly with others half a world away, hand signals are bit hard to interpret wink

Best wishes.

Last edited by LeadTurn_SD; 02/24/12 09:55 PM.

LeadTurn_SD
XO VMF-132 Shadow Demons
Specs: CPU: Intel i5 760 MEM: 8Gb, Video: AMD HD 6850, OS: Win 7 64 bit
#3525640 - 02/24/12 10:34 PM Re: Reflections on Multi-player [Re: Bandy]  
redpiano Offline
redpiano  Offline

Originally Posted By: Bandy
Originally Posted By: redpiano
CONS

Yes, most fights always seem to be in the weeds, though so far I've had a few good encounters higher up, that of course ended up low...
What have you against recon and bombers? That seems a strange thing to look upon with negativity.

I think I ran into a bunch of huns using TS last night, they were all over me like a pack of hyenas. Should have know better and escaped vertically as I was in a Tripehound and they in Albs. but foolishly decided to try to even the odds. Reamed me a new one they did and not so much as a S!

If I may shamelessly engage in stereotyping, I think there are real cultural differences between how the opposite sides approach RoF... (and I'm not talking about our wives...) exitstageleft

No I meant recon planes and bombers flying low to the ground. I've had some multiplayer matches with higher up fights but never at the altitudes historically flown.

#3525747 - 02/25/12 01:24 AM Re: Reflections on Multi-player [Re: Bandy]  
Teddy Bär Offline
Teddy Bär  Offline

@Bandy,

My view is that the fighting is often in the weeds as people want the most from their limited time online and additionally it is not fun to spend 10-15 minutes climbing to altitude to be shot down withing the 1st few minutes of being there; again and again and...

I love high altitude fights as the planes really do start to distinguish themselves as well as requiring more flying. But nearly all the online missions require you to take off so we are always at the weeds.

Pro's
Some great people online
The madness of combat that currently only comes from humans
Not being the only target; though sometimes I do wonder smile

Con's
Snipping at long range
Long range shots cause more damage than close range
Missions that cover the front line so that it is difficult to see other aircraft which makes for boring
Missions that include AI bombers that do nothing of value
Missions that do not have the AI bombers waging a war so as to make the player have to defend their resources or help attack the enemies
So many Camels and DR1's
Virtually no-body online and this would be OK if the offline missions were no so canned

Cheers,

Teddy Bär

One of the stupidest things in game design is the lack of uncertainty given to the player

"beatings will continue until morale improves" brought to you by Ubisoft DRM!
#3525772 - 02/25/12 02:37 AM Re: Reflections on Multi-player [Re: Bandy]  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
Another con, for me anyway, is that I often find myself flying for a half hour without meeting a single airplane. I'm always in the wrong place. Also, AI pilots don't use head-on attacks as much as humans! A collision almost every time.
I don't why more people aren't on-line. It really is too much fun. I don't really play off-line at all.

"From our orbital vantage point, we observe an earth without borders, full of peace, beauty and magnificence, and we pray that humanity as a whole can imagine a borderless world as we see it, and strive to live as one in peace."
Astronaut William C. McCool RIP, January 29, 2003 - Space Shuttle Columbia

#3525856 - 02/25/12 07:31 AM Re: Reflections on Multi-player [Re: Bandy]  
startrekmike Offline
startrekmike  Offline

Providence, RI
I love the multiplayer and I am part of a squadron myself, but I have a couple of nitpicks now that we are all airing them out.

1.) The silly tendency for pilots in some servers to expect to fight only one other person and they whine when a passerby gets them first, some of us use TS and don't read the chat box, nor are we going to ask if it is okay to bounce you, they have a duel server for a reason and I wish people who just want to duel with each other would use it and clear the air for team play.

2.) the whining in general, sniping is bad but worse if it happens to you, keep your eyes peeled and it becomes a bit less likely however. I cannot understand why vulching is considered bad when you can easily overcome it by using teamwork, on top of that, if you find that the enemy has pushed you to your own aerodrome, well, that is kinda like vulching but it was your fault as a team.

3.) Limited aircraft selection based on "balance", this is absurd to me, we spend good money on these crates only to find that our Bristol or Pup is not welcome. I cannot seem to wrap my head around the arbitrary judgment some of these aircraft get when they "seem overpowered" or "require a FM review", this is not Call of duty, balance is based on skill and not the machine, you can kill anything with anything in this sim.

There we go, my little venting spell is over, sorry if this came off as harsh but I needed to let it all out.

Other than these things (kinda minor in the grand scheme), I love the multiplayer, it is one of the best communities I have ever had the honor to play with online.

#3525909 - 02/25/12 12:25 PM Re: Reflections on Multi-player [Re: Bandy]  
Bandy Offline
Bandy  Offline

Well, I had a really good time on the Oceanic server this morning. Cheers fellows! Thanks for letting me visit and be a target for you all, though I gave some back, occasionally. thumbsup

There were just a handful of us, and guys who like to fly high (altitude). We didn't have any issues with finding each other, though yes it did take some time. Maybe it is a generational thing... older farts with time on their hands, youth who just want everything right away... Go fly an iPlane.

EDITED reactionary statements, apologies for any offense...

Last edited by Bandy; 02/25/12 02:59 PM.

#3525977 - 02/25/12 04:05 PM Re: Reflections on Multi-player [Re: Master]  
enigma6584 Offline
enigma6584  Offline

Wisconsin, USA
Originally Posted By: Master
WWI is not anything like a WWI sim and the limitations of the sim mean that you can not use historic methods of communication because people do not have the time give RoF a full time job's worth of hours. Maybe you feel differently about it than I do but I find the argument ridiculous.

Whoa there. Not trying to make an argument about it. I was just asking a question as to why people use TS on this sim. I've not played online with this sim yet and was curious as to whether anyone out there actually tries to maintain some sort of simulation of those communication issues from WW1. I can see the signal commands in the sim are limited and not everyone understands what the flares mean...plus the fact as you and others have stated...that servers out there not really conducive to long, planned combat operations.

I guess what I'm asking is are there any online squadrons or flying buddies who play "co-op" alot together and limit the use of teamspeak while using the ingame handsignals and flares?

#3525980 - 02/25/12 04:09 PM Re: Reflections on Multi-player [Re: Bandy]  
RoFfan Offline
RoFfan  Offline

The RoF multiplayer community has long demonstrated that it has little concern for history or realism. The fights are typically on the deck, people shoot each other down from incredible distances, and if you question it there are those who actually think it's alright.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT, Wklink 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Good F-35 Podcast
by RossUK. 04/08/24 09:02 AM
Gleda Estes
by Tarnsman. 04/06/24 06:22 PM
Food Safety and Bad Roommates
by KRT_Bong. 04/04/24 02:16 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.