Forums » Air Combat & Civil Aviation » IL-2: Cliffs of Dover » IL-2: Cliffs of Dover - Extended Discussions » Friday update Active Topics You are not logged in. [Log In] [Register User]
Page 2 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 ... 12 13 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#3525403 - 02/24/12 12:24 PM Re: Friday update [Re: kilosierra]
Para_Bellum Online   biggrin
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Loc: Germany
Every week I try to lower my expectations regarding these "updates" but every time they manage to disappoint me again.

By now I've just given up on trying to understand what Luthier&Co are doing there.

Do they honestly believe to reach a broader audience by integrating some kind of tank game into a flightsim? That they could actually take away a share from the guys who play World of Tanks or Red Orchestra 2? Do they actually have ANY idea how the whole thing should work from a gameplay PoV opposed to "wouldn't it be totally cool if"?

And all that with the very limited resources that have plagued the series for years? So that we'll get a 3rd-rate tank game added to our 2nd-rate flightsim?

I shake my head in disbelief...

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm

#3525410 - 02/24/12 12:31 PM Re: Friday update [Re: kilosierra]
SHar82 Offline
Ol f@rt gamer since Ti99

Loc: Toronto, Canada
Same here... I think they totally lost us. Back to Skyrim, ROF and pCARS then... Terrible end of legacy for il2....

PSN/XBL: Guynemer27
WarThunder/STEAM: Guynemer27
EA/Origin: Dude27
Project Cars: Dude27

#3525413 - 02/24/12 12:35 PM Re: Friday update [Re: kilosierra]
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Loc: Manitoba, Canada
I have no expectations and have absolutely no motivation to speculate. I just want the finished product please and thank you

#3525417 - 02/24/12 12:42 PM Re: Friday update [Re: theOden]
KRT_Bong Offline
It's KRT not Kurt

Loc: Gulf Coast of Florida
Originally Posted By: theOden
"Unfortunately we could not do any benchmarks on the famous Black Death track. We know everyone’s been asking about it. The track however is currently broken due to changes in other unrelated parts of the code."

Anyone knows how many hundreds of man-hours it takes to create this Black Death mission?
Must be one helluva creation..

Well it starts with creating it in the FMB and recording it as a track, switching between camera positions. I should think that reloading the mission and re-recording it would do the trick but perhaps there are scripting issues? Who can say till we get it and see what they mean. I remember that tracks I recorded in 1946 didn't work the same after patches sometimes. Whenever I try to record a track in COD my game crashes.

Edited by KRT_Bong (02/24/12 12:43 PM)
ATI HD 5830 1Gb 256 bit it was cheap
4 x 1Gb GSkill 1333Mhz looks pretty on the MB
X-Fi Xtreme Creative Soundcard - cheap pair of headphones

Pray for Obama _Psalm 109 7-10

#3525430 - 02/24/12 01:01 PM Re: Friday update [Re: kilosierra]
Avimimus Offline
Two-speed Five-Blade Fan

Loc: Canada
I find this quite exciting - I figure it increases the probability that they'll model collisions with trees... (given time)

I got Pacific Fighters because I wanted to try flying the Ki-43, but more importantly, because it would lower the daylight muzzleflashes on my Mig-3... The dev's can't please everyone: If they announced they were making a submarine sim - I wouldn't be thrilled, but I'd still be excited to have AI submarines which dive when under attack wink

IMHO, at some point you have to decide between a glass-half-full or a glass-half-empty. The first is more fun.

#3525439 - 02/24/12 01:11 PM Re: Friday update [Re: kilosierra]
Para_Bellum Online   biggrin
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

I envy you for your optimism, Aimimus. I really do.

I'd actually be happy if I had a glass half full. At the moment I feel like I've ordered a glass of water, got a tambourine instead and get told that I'll get a pair of sandals to go with that sometime in the future. That's probably great if you like tambourines and sandals but I just want a glass of water thank you.

wink

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm

#3525464 - 02/24/12 01:41 PM Re: Friday update [Re: kilosierra]
csThor Offline

I am actually beginning to think that these "updates" were made simply for the sake of saying "something". For starters PR has always been the red-headed stepchild of MG and with Luthier at the helm it's only gotten worse so I guess they don't want to invest more than the bare minimum of time. Secondly I have problems imagining what kind of update would actually pacify the community - and especially how that would look like. Performance vid? Too dependent on the hardware. FM? Can't be shown. Bugfixing? No screenshot or vid potential. It would, essentially, be a list of fixes ... and I don't see Luthier sit down to actually compile such a list. Not that it would end the criticism, since it's quite clear that not all the problems will be solved with the next patch. blush
Intel i7 960 @ 3.2 GHz - ASUS Rampage III Gene Republic of Gamers - 6GB RAM OCZ CL7 XTC Platinum PC3-12800 - ZOTAC GeForce GTX 480 - 64GB Crucial RealSSD C300 SATA II - 1TB Western Digital WD1002FAEX SATA II - Creative Soundblaster Xi-Fi Titanium - Windows 7 Professional 64bit

#3525468 - 02/24/12 01:54 PM Re: Friday update [Re: Brigstock]
JG5_Emil Offline

Loc: Cheshire....Ok stockport
Originally Posted By: Brigstock
Originally Posted By: TROOPER117
Smoother and a more stable game will be a step in the right direction to be sure..
But to show yet another video of how the ground forces aspect is developing, when they have acknowledged they aren't even sure if it will make it into the finished game is a non event..
We hopefully wanted to see how the 'flight simulation' side is improving.. Is it me? Am I assuming too much by wanting to see some actual air combat simulation progress?.. if so I apologize in advance.

It ain't just you....

I want to know when I can see "massive air battles" you know....like in the Battle of Britain.

By the time this is possible my 3000 worth of gaming rig will be worth about twenty quid...good job I bought it for surfing the net as well eh pitchafit

#3525477 - 02/24/12 02:04 PM Re: Friday update [Re: kilosierra]
Rodney Offline
Tea & Medals

Their answer to world of planes mmo? Tanks and planes seems a common theme at the moment, perhaps luthier is just getting an edge on the competition.

#3525479 - 02/24/12 02:06 PM Re: Friday update [Re: kilosierra]
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Loc: Manitoba, Canada
Good points csThor

Page 2 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 ... 12 13 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:

Moderator:  EinsteinEP, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
BAC Jet Provost
by Mauld
01:43 AM
Carol Burnett and "The Family"
by Li'lJugs
10:00 PM
Warner Bros. sues New York bar for playing 80-year old song
by Ajay
07:47 PM
Did a search, none posted this? F-16 on "ramming mission", 9/11?
by Li'lJugs
06:38 PM
An AH-64 and Mi-35 go out to play....
by Stormtrooper
06:16 PM
Late War Luftwaffe Colours - Help Needed
by PeterMBooth
05:36 PM
Batman the complete TV series 11/7 or 11/11, I forgot... lol
by Magnum
03:56 PM
NHL 15 highlights....
by Magnum
12:49 PM
Vehicle Code Section 339472
by Arthonon
12:46 PM
NAS Oceana Airshow - Sat/Sun - Sept 20th/2st, 2014
by SkateZilla
12:42 PM

Forum Use Agreement | Privacy Statement
Copyright 1997-2014, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.