Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3523547 - 02/21/12 06:38 PM Where are the secret INI settings for enabling visual cockpit canopy damage?  
Victor1_9er Offline
Victor1_9er  Offline

New York
I recently decided to reinstall LB2 again, and found myself wanting to play the azer2000 campaign. Thankfully I am using my old Vista laptop that mostly works with LB2 aside from an occasional debrief crash. Been troubleshooting it, but it only happens once in a while seemingly after I bring back to life KIA pilots with the pilot editor. But it could also be from my joystick, or even dgVoodoo settings.

Anyway, that is not why I am posting.

I came across this old post:
http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3139343/3.html

...and saw the pics with the cockpit canopy damage. Flyboy mentioned it being a secret INI setting somewhere, but I couldn't find it. Does anyone know where this setting is?

Thanks for your help!
~Victor1-9er

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3524543 - 02/23/12 04:32 AM Re: Where are the secret INI settings for enabling visual cockpit canopy damage? [Re: Victor1_9er]  
Victor1_9er Offline
Victor1_9er  Offline

New York
I was of course refering to the mug shot below, but perhaps it was a photoshop job. In any event, I just found it interesting and searched my INI files for the setting but had no such luck finding it. It could be because I installed from ISOs I made from my 4 original Longbow Anthology CDs. From the anthology LB2 is 2.09F right out of the box. Funny to think that I loved this sim so much, that at one time I owned all 3 original releases: AH-64D Longbow, Longbow 2 and eventually Longbow Anthology (which included Longbow Gold 3DFX).

This is still my fav flight sim of all time.
Thank you, to all who made it possible to still play this mighty game once in a while!

~Victor1_9er

AH-64D Longbow - Purchased in 1996
Longbow Gold - Purchased in 1997
Longbow Anthology - Purchased in 1998 (still have)
...Looking for the 'Ingress Point' to this,
my fav sim of all time!
#3525128 - 02/24/12 04:11 AM Re: Where are the secret INI settings for enabling visual cockpit canopy damage? [Re: Victor1_9er]  
TheSilkMan Offline
TheSilkMan  Offline

If you take shots like that youre a deadman anyway. LOL I actually own those too...
tanksalot

#3525173 - 02/24/12 06:39 AM Re: Where are the secret INI settings for enabling visual cockpit canopy damage? [Re: Victor1_9er]  
Victor1_9er Offline
Victor1_9er  Offline

New York
Yeah SilkMan, you are right! lol. As I said just more a curiosity then anything. As in, can LB2 really do that? But let me tell you, I had some fun tonight...

...heard the call 'Enemy fighters are detected in your area', so I ducked down behind a hill and waited for the Mig to fly over. Was hoping I could get a lock tone on him right after he passes over but before I know it, two Havocs come rolling around the side of the hill and light my wingman up with missles, before I can swing around and with TADS and go to guns, they riddled my cockpit with bullets. MFD's start blanking out, APU is on fire, and over the chaos of it all, I hear my CPG yell: "GET US OUTA HERE!"

Hahaha...You gotta love LB2 sometimes. I haven't touched this game in over a year and for some reason I decided I want to reinstall and play around. I got bored playing instant action and like a challenge so I thought I would try and see if I could stop the sporadic debrief crash on my system. It seems I have the problem minimzed for the time being. So I got even more ambitious and figured I'd try and conquer the Azer2000 campaign. That is if I don't get frustrated with the occasional debrief CTD and random control freeze up. So far it is going alright.

I'll let you know how it goes. Damn shame this message board has gotten so quiet. Kind of sad actually. :-(

~Victor1_9er

my fav sim of all time!
#3526015 - 02/25/12 05:00 PM Re: Where are the secret INI settings for enabling visual cockpit canopy damage? [Re: Victor1_9er]  
Flyboy Offline
Flyboy  Offline

England, UK
Originally Posted By: Victor1_9er
I came across this old post:
http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3139343/3.html

...and saw the pics with the cockpit canopy damage. Flyboy mentioned it being a secret INI setting somewhere, but I couldn't find it. Does anyone know where this setting is?

LOL. You've been had, mate! biggrin

#3526067 - 02/25/12 07:20 PM Re: Where are the secret INI settings for enabling visual cockpit canopy damage? [Re: Flyboy]  
Victor1_9er Offline
Victor1_9er  Offline

New York
Originally Posted By: Flyboy

LOL. You've been had, mate! biggrin

LOL, thanks Flyboy. That's what I thought!

And just so you know, on this single-core 32-bit Vista Home Edition laptop, I'm going through the Azer2000 Campaign just fine so far. 8 missions and I've only had 1 debrief crash. On my system I discovered that the pilot editor program was not correctly bringing KIA pilots back from the dead. Evidently there are two values that must be changed in the .dat file, mainly: 'Condition=2' for KIA must be changed to 'Condtition=4' and also the 'Replace' flag must be set to false. Dead squad pilots get a 'Replace=1' and it should be 'Replace=0' but I noticed the pilot editor progie wasn't correctly changing this flag all the time and consequently on my previous test campaign I was getting a ton of debrief CTD. Now I just use notepad to manually restore KIA pilots, and all seems stable so far.

I know you are not playing anymore, but I thought I would add my experience to the collective knowledge base here for whatever it is worth.

~Victor1_9er

my fav sim of all time!
#3526387 - 02/26/12 12:00 PM Re: Where are the secret INI settings for enabling visual cockpit canopy damage? [Re: Victor1_9er]  
Flyboy Offline
Flyboy  Offline

England, UK
Victor1_9er, let me start again, this time by welcoming you to the forums! I normally start with a welcome to any new names that appear here but I thought it would be fitting with the context of your post to just come in and let you know you had been fooled! After all, my initial reference to the 'secret' INI settings that you refered to was indeed a shameful plot to trip up unsuspecting newcomers!

That's an interesting 'bug' that you found with the pilot editor program, I have only ever used it once or twice for test purposes so I don't have much knowledge of that program or any mishaps it may bring. Thanks for your contribution and for adding in the details.

No, I don't play LB2 now but that doesn't mean I don't keep coming back here to comment and help out. And of course any contribution is always welcome regardless of if I'm playing, or around the forums, or not.

Sorry for fooling you with the 'secret' INI settings and shot-up cockpit glass! (chalks another 'kill' on ownage list) biggrin

#3527152 - 02/27/12 05:03 PM Re: Where are the secret INI settings for enabling visual cockpit canopy damage? [Re: Flyboy]  
Victor1_9er Offline
Victor1_9er  Offline

New York
Victor1_9er, let me start again, this time by welcoming you to the forums!

Thanks for the warm welcome. I joined about 2 years ago when I found my old mothballed Longbow Anthology CDs and manual. After some google searches discovered this forum as well as your site and Positive G's site. I was hooked all over again. I was so psyched I could play this sim again. But I had yaw and stall problems, debrief crashes and flight3.dle crashes (the latter from incorrectly installing the 2.09e patch over the Anthology which doesn't need it).

So in 2010, like any good Longbow sim pilot, I bought a new Saitek controller, which fixed my yaw problems, used turbo to fix my blade stall problems, clean re-install to fix my flight3.dle crashes. And at least for now seem to have a good stable set of dgVoodoo settings and that are letting me go through the campaign.

BTW I have never successfully completed the Azer200 Fallen Cresent campaign since back in the day on my Win98 machine I had a Monster3D 8MB graphics accelerater card and the game crashed all the time mid-flight from a flight3.dle crash. I had all but given up back then but I discovered that whenever I had died and edited the mission parameters to try and get my squad to beat back those pesky Azer2000 forces I was setting myself up for that crash. I noticed the same holds true still, that if I mess around and try to refly a failed mission many times and have changed the mission waypoints and strike details a lot, that sooner or later on the refly my game will crash. Of course playing the Azer2000 patch solo is really really hard, so can you blame me from all the mission editing and reflying? lol

Someday would love to play a MP campaign, but sadly I think there are fewer and fewer LB2 pilots around and with each passing year that chance grows smaller and smaller. At least now that I know how to bring back my fellow KIA squad pilots I've got a fighting chance in Azer2000 missions!

~Victor1_9er

my fav sim of all time!
#3527812 - 02/28/12 03:16 PM Re: Where are the secret INI settings for enabling visual cockpit canopy damage? [Re: Victor1_9er]  
Flyboy Offline
Flyboy  Offline

England, UK
I don't know if you heard about Kevin 'PositiveG' Speichts along the way, but he sadly passed away in 2009. His website, at its original web address went away, but luckily I had the whole thing saved for personal reference so internally re-worked it and uploaded it to my webspace... http://digitality.comyr.com/speichts/lb2/

It's interesting that you say your Saitek joystick fixed the yaw issue, did you have the problem with slow or no yaw using the keyboard?

I have played the Azer2000 campaign but I think that was as far back as when I had my Win98 or XP PC. I don't think I ever tried it again on my later PCs. I remember it being hard, and highly doubt that I ever completed it.

There are a couple of guys here who get together every now-and-then to have a go at LB2 multiplayer. I'll let them come forward instead of name-dropping, if they choose to. I've only ever played LB2 MP twice, and it was fairly disappointing for me because it wasn't until the Windows 7 era that I gave it a shot, when I was encountering all my problems with game stability, control bugs and stuff.

#3527846 - 02/28/12 03:58 PM Re: Where are the secret INI settings for enabling visual cockpit canopy damage? [Re: Flyboy]  
Victor1_9er Offline
Victor1_9er  Offline

New York
Yes Flyboy, I had heard about the passing of PositiveG from these boards. Thank you for letting me know, and thank you for preserving his site! I would never have played this sim again without the hard work of Kevin, yourself, and others.

As for the joystick yaw issue:

Yup, I have almost zero yaw controls when I use the keyboard tail rotor buttons. Once I purchased and then set up the profile for the Saitek joystick, I had full yaw controls, working just as I remember them from years ago. I can totally understand anyone who wouldn't play the game if they can't get this fixed. In my opinion the game is unplayable if you don't have good working yaw control. I can't rememebr if I actually programed the joystick 'twist' to be yaw or if was just recognized as such. I'll have to look and get back on that.

The Azer2000 campaign is insane. SAM and AAA mixed in with your standard armor deployments, and they almost always call in their own air support if you start attacking.

On an interesting side-note about joysticks and crashes: The other day when I was testing my over-torquing rotor issue in my other post, I decided to uninstall and then reinstall my joystick software to see if I could max my over-torqing. Anyway I went back to playing my campaign a short time later, and started getting the debrief crash almost constantly.

Then I checked and noticed I had two joystick services running in the background that were set to autostart at boot: ProfilerU.exe and SaiMfd.exe.

As soon as I turned of SaiMfd.exe (and disable both from autostarting just on principle) my debrief CTD stopped. I only need the profiler to be running to play the game with all my buttons mapped, and I can start that manually when I decide to play. It seems the other joystick service was contributing to my debrief crash.

BTW is just awesome when you can switch between air and ground, TADS and FCR, switch targets,change MFDs, give your wingman commands all from the joystick buttons!

Well, I don't have my game setup for MP and would need to look into the requirments for that since I am behind a router but have no problem port forwarding and such. So I will let the MP pilots here gauge my ferver and perhaps some day will join their ranks!

my fav sim of all time!
#3527887 - 02/28/12 04:44 PM Re: Where are the secret INI settings for enabling visual cockpit canopy damage? [Re: Victor1_9er]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ
Greetings!! I was going to burst your bubble on the .ini settings, but figured I would wait for the Flyboy perpetrator to come forward.

LB2 remains one of my favorite sims of all time and I plead guilty to being one of those occasional LB2 Multiplayers. Always fun, though modern technology has made it difficult.

Search these forums for "router bug" and you will see what I mean.

We have managed to get stable MP LB2 going with the aid of Hamachi to overcome the "host cannot be behind a router" issue but lately (well, probably as of a year ago) that has been flaky also. There are some other similar VPN/IPX emulation proggies out there for gaming, but I haven't tried them.

If your LB2 fever ever spikes, let me know and we can try to arrange something. I am your neighbor in NJ, and though I have been MIA from online gaming for awhile, it is usually possible for me to be around in the evenings starting around 20:30-21:00 local (US Eastern) time.

Long system spec sig follows:

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
MSI Z490 Plus Motherboard
Intel Core i7 10700K 3.8 GHz
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453
Thrustmaster RCS Rudder Pedals

#3527916 - 02/28/12 05:17 PM Re: Where are the secret INI settings for enabling visual cockpit canopy damage? [Re: Victor1_9er]  
Flyboy Offline
Flyboy  Offline

England, UK
... and here comes one out of the woodwork. My ol' mate Recluse!

#3528005 - 02/28/12 07:04 PM Re: Where are the secret INI settings for enabling visual cockpit canopy damage? [Re: Victor1_9er]  
Victor1_9er Offline
Victor1_9er  Offline

New York
Thanks Recluse for the warm welcome as well! And thanks also for offering a potential MP game. I think it would be really awesome, and I would definitely like to try it out at some point in the near future! I only just got reinstalled last week and am making sure my system is stable and that most of the bugs are worked out or minimized. I think I've got it working fairly well, disregarding my other minor bug in the other post about over-torque values. The more I think about that issue, the more I am wondering if it is not an actual bug but a correction they included in the Anthology version of LB2 and was intended to make collective even more realistic.

Anyway, I'll look into Hamachi and the other MP setup stuff to see what it entails. I'll keep you posted. It's great that we are neighbors and in the same time zone! That's a big plus for MP! thumbsup

my fav sim of all time!
#3528601 - 02/29/12 02:13 PM Re: Where are the secret INI settings for enabling visual cockpit canopy damage? [Re: Victor1_9er]  
Flyboy Offline
Flyboy  Offline

England, UK
Yeah, being in the same time zone is a big bonus for multiplayer. When I played with Recluse I think I was up until around 5am in the morning!

#3528683 - 02/29/12 04:07 PM Re: Where are the secret INI settings for enabling visual cockpit canopy damage? [Re: Flyboy]  
Victor1_9er Offline
Victor1_9er  Offline

New York
Yeah, being in the same time zone is a big bonus for multiplayer. When I played with Recluse I think I was up until around 5am in the morning!

I'm a Longbow fanatic, but 5am would be tough! sleepy

my fav sim of all time!
#3530582 - 03/02/12 05:27 PM Re: Where are the secret INI settings for enabling visual cockpit canopy damage? [Re: Victor1_9er]  
Victor1_9er Offline
Victor1_9er  Offline

New York
For correctness and for the sake of anyone who might one day stumble upon these forums I just want to ammend what I said about the in-game "flight3.dle" crash:

On my system, it was NOT caused by the the 2.09e patch as I first said. I was wrong. It is instead caused by trying to re-fly a failed mission and modifying the waypoints, loiter time and targets of the various flights. It does not always happen, but I can say that if I fail at a mission many times and each time modify the flight plans and then try to re-fly it, inevitably the game will crash from "flight3.dle" page fault.

Now I must say, that I do not know if this is the case with the default 'Fallen Cresent' campaign since I have been flying the Azer2000 patched version of 'Fallen Cresent'. This bug used to ruin my campaign back in the Win98 days and I incorrectly thought it had something to do with my graphics card back then. I can now confirm that it only happens for me when the mission details have been modified -- something that I do a lot when flying the Azer2000 campaign solo. When I do re-fly and DO NOT mess around with the mission details the game does not crash.

Just thought I would add this to the collective knowledge base here.
cool

my fav sim of all time!
#3531343 - 03/03/12 03:32 PM Re: Where are the secret INI settings for enabling visual cockpit canopy damage? [Re: Victor1_9er]  
Flyboy Offline
Flyboy  Offline

England, UK
That is a very interesting observation, Victor1_9er. I believe I have had people come to me before with the 'flight3.dle' crash, but I always responded assuming that they'd made a cock-up of applying the patch or something. I hardly ever used to modify the flight paths and details, so me noticing it wouldn't have ever occured. I'm not quite sure that I'd ever have narrowed it down to such a common and natural task though.

You, sir, really do have an eye for detail. thumbsup

#3531785 - 03/04/12 05:47 AM Re: Where are the secret INI settings for enabling visual cockpit canopy damage? [Re: Victor1_9er]  
Victor1_9er Offline
Victor1_9er  Offline

New York
Well, To be exact I've had the 'flight3.dle' crash also happen when I've [alt]-[tabbed] out of LB2 and come back. That can happen even when I didn't fiddle with the flights on a re-fly. And to be fair, it has also crashed my game out-of-the-blue for no apparent reason. But 90% of the time if I get that crash and I didn't 'tab-away' from LB2 I am probably on a 're-fly' mission cause I did something stupid and don't want to give up yet.

A lot of times I will construct a mission around a set of objectives that are all close together. Like an insertion, a recon and say two different SAM/AAA strikes. I'll create a meet-up of all 8 helos and use the time-on-target and loiter times to get all the AI pilots to arrive and depart at the same time, and we'll all escort the insertion blackhawk or run CAP around one of the flights taking out an air defense site. It's even more insane if the Azer forces are flying crazy CAP missions in the area. I recently had a scenario where there were 6 enemy helos, and all 8 of my choppers flying around fighting each other...oh and I forgot to mention I called in in airstrike on the first set of Havocs, so there was an F15 circling the carnage!

I don't think I had ever heard so many stingers fired at once. Everyone was yelling 'Fox 2' and at one point I think a havoc took like 4 or 5 stinger hits as it was going down -- hilarious and awesome. ar15

Now, when one spends that much effort constructing the mission and you realize an unknown ZSU-23 just over the hill is ahniliating your other flights, right after the meet-up, it's natural (if a little unfair) to want to adjust the mission on the 're-fly' to put in a SEAD objective to take it out, or to route the waypoints further away from the menace. Yeah it's cheating. But it's such a waste to throw all that hard work away. Back in Win98 days, I used to 're-fly' missions many many times -- sometimes as many as 11 times! Constantly modifying things on the re-fly to try and get my AI pilots to survive and increase their AI rating. I would get so pissed when on the 11th re-fly the 'flight3.dle' crash would wipe out my game and mission anyway. pitchafit LOL

It's one of the main reasons I stopped playing LB2 back then -- cause I would get so demoralized that all my AI pilots were always KIA. I could hardly ever win most of the mission objectives of my squad and it felt like Azer2000 was just too hard flying solo.
goodnight

my fav sim of all time!
#3531916 - 03/04/12 01:27 PM Re: Where are the secret INI settings for enabling visual cockpit canopy damage? [Re: Victor1_9er]  
Flyboy Offline
Flyboy  Offline

England, UK
That would be an F-16, sir! biggrin

Don't worry, I won't keep correcting you, I just like to develop a kind of 'theme' with some people. And as you have a very keen eye for detail, I thought I'd point out when you make a blatant mistake!

There's certainly nothing wrong with playing how you do, by going back and re-flying the mission in the hope of better results. I used to re-fly some missions once or twice, but never as many times as you did. It just gets to a point where you have to kind of be satisfied everything went as well as it did, and move forwards.

And like how some players used to play the original Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six, it's very tempting - because of the ability to plan before the mission and have AI choppers - to go into the mission planner and try to execute the perfect mission while just sitting back and watching the AI complete the mission. Plus, where the AI pilots gain experience, there is that kind of role-playing element to the game. It's almost a game on its own just planning the mission, if you do it to the lengths that you have done, and I'm sure that it's very rewarding if it succeeds.

Oh, and when you've finished the Azer2000 campaign, you might want to try out some of my missions. In one I put in so many enemy units that I ended up having to remove some because I exceeded the game's limit! I can also recommend some good missions by other people. All found on my site, of course!

copter

#3532092 - 03/04/12 07:19 PM Re: Where are the secret INI settings for enabling visual cockpit canopy damage? [Re: Flyboy]  
Victor1_9er Offline
Victor1_9er  Offline

New York
That would be an F-16, sir! biggrin

Don't worry, I won't keep correcting you, I just like to develop a kind of 'theme' with some people. And as you have a very keen eye for detail, I thought I'd point out when you make a blatant mistake!

Doh! duh
Bugger me! I keep making silly mistakes on here...you can keep correcting. I make no claims to be an expert!

Plus, where the AI pilots gain experience, there is that kind of role-playing element to the game. It's almost a game on its own just planning the mission, if you do it to the lengths that you have done, and I'm sure that it's very rewarding if it succeeds.

I have found I can't just artificially raise the AI pilots rating artificially by changing their number. The game must have some way of calculating it and I don't want to mess around too much with it. But I have been bringing the KIA pilots back and their ratings have been improving. It's fun to have the other flights become more adept and better able -- it is a lot like role-playing because it becomes more about developing the skill set of the whole squad.

Oh, and when you've finished the Azer2000 campaign, you might want to try out some of my missions. In one I put in so many enemy units that I ended up having to remove some because I exceeded the game's limit! I can also recommend some good missions by other people. All found on my site, of course!

copter

I'm definitely going to have to check some of those missions out! Sounds really cool!
thumbsup

my fav sim of all time!

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.