Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3507559 - 01/31/12 01:20 AM Who makes high quality WWI airiplane kits?  
Gambit21 Offline
Gambit21  Offline

Pacific Northwest
2 things I'm looking for.

First - someone who makes high quality (not plastic) museum quality WWI airplane kits.
I'd like a Fokker DVIII for starters.

Second, who makes WWII RC plane kits that are EXACTLY scale? With the best detail? The reason is that I want to purchase
maybe a P51 (or other) and turn it into a high quality static model. I was researched on this years ago, but have been out
of the loop for some years. I remember some kits massaged things here and there. I want a perfect miniature (not talking about small details) but the overall silhouette of the aircraft.

Perhaps my answer to the WWI question is also an RC manufacturer?
Thanks or any help.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3507598 - 01/31/12 02:42 AM Re: Who makes high quality WWI airiplane kits? [Re: Gambit21]  
IV/JG7trumps Offline
IV/JG7trumps  Offline

Perth australia
with static WWI models i don't think you can go past Wingnuts
http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/
they produce stunning high fidelity kits.
WWI R/C, both Aerodrome R/C and Manzano laser supply a great range of short kits for the balsa bashers out there!
http://www.aerodromerc.com/
http://www.manzanolaser.com/html/peter_rake.html
i have built, and am in progress with kits from both of the above 2 and can vouch for their service and quality!

WWII manzano have some nice kits as well, but they aren't really my gig so i don't follow them as much.

hope this helps.
Craig

The problem with the World is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
#3507600 - 01/31/12 02:45 AM Re: Who makes high quality WWI airiplane kits? [Re: Gambit21]  
AggressorBLUE Offline
Check out my
AggressorBLUE  Offline
Check out my

Jerz
Originally Posted By: Gambit21
2 things I'm looking for.

First - someone who makes high quality (not plastic) museum quality WWI airplane kits.

Second, who makes WWII RC plane kits that are EXACTLY scale? With the best detail? The reason is that I want to purchase
maybe a P51 (or other) and turn it into a high quality static model. I was researched on this years ago, but have been out
of the loop for some years. I remember some kits massaged things here and there. I want a perfect miniature (not talking about small details) but the overall silhouette of the aircraft.

Perhaps my answer to the WWI question is also an RC manufacturer?
Thanks or any help.

Wait...what?

First:

"who makes WWII RC plane kits that are EXACTLY scale?"

-and-

"I want a perfect miniature (not talking about small details) but the overall silhouette of the aircraft."

Don't make sense. You want a perfect miniature, but the small details don't matter?

Second, I doubt any RC manu makes a perfect scale model (at least in kit form) that meets you're WWI needs. RC planes always have to make sacrifices, as Aerodynamics don't scale perfectly. Every RC plane I've ever seen has at least some "stand-off" built into it. That said, the advent of modern electric power systems means that if you care more about scale looks than sound, you can go with smaller,more easily hidden electric power-plants.

Last edited by AggressorBLUE; 01/31/12 02:47 AM.

My Rig:i5-3570k @ 4.2 GHZ W/ Corsair Hydro H110 Cooler / Asus Sabertooth Z77 Mobo / GTX 1070/ 16 Gigs DDR3 RAM / A Few SSDs, and a Bunch of HDDs / All held together by: Corsair C70 Case

Other Assets Deployed:
HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog SN#22621/CH Throttle Quad/MFG Crosswind Pedals SN#0004 smile
TrackIR TIR 5 w/ TrackClip Pro biggrin
Simpit: Obutto R3VOLUTION

#3507601 - 01/31/12 02:46 AM Re: Who makes high quality WWI airiplane kits? [Re: Gambit21]  
godzilla1985 Offline
godzilla1985  Offline

Pa
Here's one company that makes excellent museum qualitly WWI AC (No fokker DVIII) but the Albatross DVa is unbelievable (actually seen one up close and personal).
http://naturecoast.com/hobby/airways.htm

Heres another company, but they are RC, but making them static shouldn't be a big problem.
http://www.proctor-enterprises.com/

"It's the man, not the machine" Gen Chuck Yeager
#3507602 - 01/31/12 02:49 AM Re: Who makes high quality WWI airiplane kits? [Re: Gambit21]  
AggressorBLUE Offline
Check out my
AggressorBLUE  Offline
Check out my

Jerz
Just to be clear on what i said above, there are indeed many HIGH QUALITY WWI RC planes.It's just all have to sacrifice some degree of detail somewhere in the end.

My Rig:i5-3570k @ 4.2 GHZ W/ Corsair Hydro H110 Cooler / Asus Sabertooth Z77 Mobo / GTX 1070/ 16 Gigs DDR3 RAM / A Few SSDs, and a Bunch of HDDs / All held together by: Corsair C70 Case

Other Assets Deployed:
HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog SN#22621/CH Throttle Quad/MFG Crosswind Pedals SN#0004 smile

#3507621 - 01/31/12 03:11 AM Re: Who makes high quality WWI airiplane kits? [Re: AggressorBLUE]  
Gambit21 Offline
Gambit21  Offline

Pacific Northwest
Originally Posted By: AggressorBLUE

First:

-and-

"I want a perfect miniature (not talking about small details) but the overall silhouette of the aircraft."

Don't make sense. You want a perfect miniature, but the small details don't matter?

Second, I doubt any RC manu makes a perfect scale model (at least in kit form) that meets you're WWI needs. RC planes always have to make sacrifices, as Aerodynamics don't scale perfectly. Every RC plane I've ever seen has at least some "stand-off" built into it. That said, the advent of modern electric power systems means that if you care more about scale looks than sound, you can go with smaller,more easily hidden electric power-plants.

First, I've seen kits in the past that come very close to exact scale, if not matching pretty much dead-nuts on.
I used to have a stack of RC Airplane magazines back in the day. Seems to me Yellow Aircraft and Nick Ziroli would have fit my
needs back then.

Second, yes I want a perfect miniature, but I realize I'll have to make/Find small parts myself.
That's what I meant.

#3507626 - 01/31/12 03:13 AM Re: Who makes high quality WWI airiplane kits? [Re: Gambit21]  
Gambit21 Offline
Gambit21  Offline

Pacific Northwest
Trumps and Gozilla - thank you! That will get me going.
I've been wanting to build and/or kit bash some large, high quality aircraft for some years now.
A recent visit to the Museum of Flight in Seattle has those juices flowing again.

I've always wanted to build a large Mustang, cover it with aluminum panels, build a cockpit, etc.

Cheers.

#3508400 - 02/01/12 01:59 AM Re: Who makes high quality WWI airiplane kits? [Re: Gambit21]  
AggressorBLUE Offline
Check out my
AggressorBLUE  Offline
Check out my

Jerz

First:

-and-

First, I've seen kits in the past that come very close to exact scale, if not matching pretty much dead-nuts on.
I used to have a stack of RC Airplane magazines back in the day. Seems to me Yellow Aircraft and Nick Ziroli would have fit my
needs back then.

Second, yes I want a perfect miniature, but I realize I'll have to make/Find small parts myself.
That's what I meant.

That didn't have a hole cut in their cowl a glow head....?

Other Assets Deployed:

#3508431 - 02/01/12 03:05 AM Re: Who makes high quality WWI airiplane kits? [Re: Gambit21]  
IV/JG7trumps Offline
IV/JG7trumps  Offline

Perth australia
these days with the quality of electric power systems cutting unsightly holes in cowls for motors and exhausts is a thing of the past if you want to go electric. you can with some effort and a well thought out system even run scale props which was always lacking in the old glow models. my Pup runs a scale home made prop, and even the spinning rotary engine. the sky is the limit for what you can do, and how scale your model can be, it's all up to you and the time and effort you want to put into it. check out someof the links below, this guy does an amazing job, and i personally think you would be hard pushed to get any closer to scale WWI flying models than these, even the real rivet counters would have to be impressed!

DVa albatros build thread
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1306884

Fe8 build thread
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1220063

BE12a build thread
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1117523

Craig

The problem with the World is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
#3508565 - 02/01/12 09:34 AM Re: Who makes high quality WWI airiplane kits? [Re: Gambit21]  
NeddZepp Offline
NeddZepp  Offline

Pyramul, NSW, Australia
If you're looking at scale/semi scale warbirds, check out
HobbyKing
All foamies, easy to, modify, etc
Plenty of panel details, depending on the model, of course.
The specs for each model is listed, ie: wing span, overall length, so you can determine how it "scales up".
I bought myself a nice 1400mm wingspan F4U Corsair a little while ago, flies great, looks awesome in the air, wouldn't take a great deal of work to truely bring this up to a scale display piece.
Cheers,
Steve

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
#3508640 - 02/01/12 01:09 PM Re: Who makes high quality WWI airiplane kits? [Re: Gambit21]  
IV/JG7trumps Offline
IV/JG7trumps  Offline

Perth australia
if you are after really nice smaller scale WWII birds check out Flyingstyro
http://www.flyingstyrokit.cz/offer-ctg_rc-maquettes-military-aircraft_1
these are seriously good enough to be display models, and the couple that i have seen flew well to boot.
Alfa makes great little WWII birds as well, much like flyingstyro.
http://www.alfamodel.cz/index_eng.htm

Craig

#3508702 - 02/01/12 02:56 PM Re: Who makes high quality WWI airiplane kits? [Re: Gambit21]  
KRT_Bong Offline
It's KRT not Kurt
KRT_Bong  Offline
It's KRT not Kurt

Sarasota, Florida
http://www.proctor-enterprises.com/index.htm, if you want to build in scale materials

Windows 10 Pro
Gigabyte 970A DS3P FX
AMD FX6300 Vishera 3.5 Ghz
ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 970 Overclocked 4 GB DDR5
16Gb Patriot Viper 3 RAM DDR3 1866Mhz
Onikuma Gaming Headset (has annoying blue lights I don't use)
#3509845 - 02/03/12 12:26 AM Re: Who makes high quality WWI airiplane kits? [Re: AggressorBLUE]  
Gambit21 Offline
Gambit21  Offline

Pacific Northwest

First:

-and-

needs back then.

That's what I meant.

That didn't have a hole cut in their cowl a glow head....?

No, and even if they did that's one small detail that can be fixed.
Big picture Blue, big picture. smile

#3509848 - 02/03/12 12:27 AM Re: Who makes high quality WWI airiplane kits? [Re: Gambit21]  
Gambit21 Offline
Gambit21  Offline

Pacific Northwest
Thank you for the extra info peeps, much appreciated.
My fantasy has always been a large, true to scale Mustang, covered with actual metal.

#3511578 - 02/05/12 03:18 AM Re: Who makes high quality WWI airiplane kits? [Re: Gambit21]  
godzilla1985 Offline
godzilla1985  Offline

Pa

#3511586 - 02/05/12 03:32 AM Re: Who makes high quality WWI airiplane kits? [Re: Gambit21]  
godzilla1985 Offline
godzilla1985  Offline

Pa
Thank you for the extra info peeps, much appreciated.
My fantasy has always been a large, true to scale Mustang, covered with actual metal.

Check out some of the NMF birds using Flite-Metal products:

http://www.flitemetal.com/

click on the customer aircrafts tab.

#3512099 - 02/05/12 09:02 PM Re: Who makes high quality WWI airiplane kits? [Re: Gambit21]  
Gambit21 Offline
Gambit21  Offline

Pacific Northwest
Looks fantastic - thanks!

#3518381 - 02/14/12 02:44 PM Re: Who makes high quality WWI airiplane kits? [Re: Gambit21]  
Jinro Offline
Jinro  Offline

Quote:

Are you talking R/C kits, or model kits? There's a lot of confusion going around concerning model planes and R/C planes. They are in fact two different things, yet are commonly considered the same.

#3523476 - 02/21/12 04:49 PM Re: Who makes high quality WWI airiplane kits? [Re: Gambit21]  
Gambit21 Offline
Gambit21  Offline

Pacific Northwest

For WWI - high quality model kit
WWII - RC kit that I can kit-bash into a large, perfect scale model.

I'm very familiar with the difference between an RC aircraft and your typical model aircraft.

#3524428 - 02/23/12 12:21 AM Re: Who makes high quality WWI airiplane kits? [Re: Gambit21]  
Jinro Offline
Jinro  Offline

In that case.....I don't know of any high quality model kits that aren't made of plastic. I don't think anyone even makes metal model kits.

Last edited by Jinro; 02/23/12 12:21 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.