Online flight sims seem just to be a pretty small niche. A quick eyeballing (nothing scientific) for me shows about:
- 250 or so on IL-2 (not a modern sim, but the one to beat I guess)
- 60 or so on DCS-A10C / Black Shark. About 30 servers.
- 30 or so CloD
- 25 or so RoF
All these are dependent on times of day, plus number of servers up and running - Your mileage may vary etc. I don't know if MP numbers really prove much, as a good chunk must buy to play SP I guess. When CloD overtakes IL2 then that's a good healthy sign I think.
I say 'small niche' as it's surprisingly a small numbers compared to a few other game genres - it's sobering to realize how small our hobby is sometimes i.e steam stats from today (filtering out the twitchers):
- 62,000 concurrent Football Manager 5 players
- 20,000 concurrent Civ 5 players
- 6,000 Star Trek Online MMO players
- 7,300 Total War Shogun
- 1,400 Railworks players (not MP, but just playing but it's a steamworks title like CloD - peep peep)
Mothers and Fathers - don't let your sons and daughters go into flight sim software development - there's no money in it!