Forums » Air Combat & Civil Aviation » Civil Aviation - General » Microsoft Flight boss on "rebooting franchise" Active Topics You are not logged in. [Log In] [Register User]
Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#3517861 - 02/13/12 02:45 PM Re: Microsoft Flight boss on "rebooting franchise" [Re: jt_medina]
Tigerwulf Offline

Loc: Wolverhampton, UK
My reference to pilot wings was because someone used pilot wings as evidence that flight games can be aimed at casual gamers. You can read my post in context above.

Yes FSX had those tutorials, but if you read my first post (post 2 i think) i have no issue with missions etc. My issue is the fact that they feel it's ridiculous, crazy i think was said in the interview, that the whole world should be modelled with lots of airports.

My opinion is that they should have taken FSX to the next level and left scenery add ons to orbx and the like wink

#3518652 - 02/14/12 04:01 PM Re: Microsoft Flight boss on "rebooting franchise" [Re: Tigerwulf]
oscarklein Offline

Originally Posted By: Tigerwulf
Quote:

Q: It seems like the tradeoff you made - building richer, smaller locales to explore in the game - is the loss of the full, open world that could be explored in "Flight Simulator"?

A: The bet we've made is that to the non-hardcore simmer, flying the whole world isn't as interesting when there's nothing really interesting to see or do. I do get that for some segment of the audience that was one of the values - I can fly anywhere, into any airport, 25,000-odd airports was crazy.

But I think as you try to broaden and you want to bring in not the next million or two but the next 20 million or 30 million people, you say I will err on the side of more interesting area that's dense than the same amount of content spread all over the globe. There's a lot to do in Hawaii, and Hawaii is gorgeous.

I'm so sick of this, hey lets appeal to everyone. Yeah they'll make more money but they're creating an ethos of a shallow, pick up and play mentallity to flight simming. Why couldn't they have progressed with FSX taking it one stage further? they could add all the crap that they are doing with this to an actual flight sim so that when people get a taste for it they can progress within the sim. It seems as though Flight will just be a dead end for casual gamers that pick it up because where will they go when they need depth and true simulation?

And no, fly anywhere into any airport isn't crazy it's aviation and it's what people that bought Flight Simulator wanted. I'm sure Hawaii is gorgeous, but there isn't 'alot to do' in aviation terms. There is in a car, or a micro light or v small GA aircraft. There's a little sight seeing.

Everything is getting so watered down.

Yes , yet another real SIM reduced to an arcade game for 12 year olds , justin beaber fans , and console gamers.

#3520511 - 02/17/12 07:15 AM Re: Microsoft Flight boss on "rebooting franchise" [Re: Duncan]
Whammo Offline

Originally Posted By: Duncan
Hi all,

could we see military DLC which would make Flight also a combat flight simulator ?
Combat flight simulators are more regional focused so lack of whole world is less important.
And for a wide audience dogfights and bombing missions are attractive.

Any info about such feature ?

This is a good question. This is why Flight will also fail! Will I download it? Yes, because it's free. Will I pay for add-ons? I doubt it.

#3520633 - 02/17/12 09:54 AM Re: Microsoft Flight boss on "rebooting franchise" [Re: jt_medina]
magicalflyer Offline

Loc: Indonesia
Why would a "civilian flight simulator" need bombs and guns just to make it attractive to "wide audience"?

#3520652 - 02/17/12 10:18 AM Re: Microsoft Flight boss on "rebooting franchise" [Re: jt_medina]
Plainsman Offline

Loc: In a Blue state, thank God
Originally Posted By: jt_medina
Originally Posted By: Plainsman
None of the MS Flight fanboys can point to a single CIVILIAN flight game that was a hit with the casual crowd. Where is the evidence such a market exists?

Oh that's new. Now we are fanboys.

Once again, no one has provided a single CIVILIAN flight game title that was a hit with the casual crowd, as evidence such a market exists. Flight will be a COLOSSAL BLUNDER by MS. Their "market" is a fantasy. That's why they hedge in their description in the hope that the flight SIM crowd will be fooled enough to buy this...this thing, when the market they really want proves to be nonexistent.

MS would make far more money providing a serious, multi-core graphics update to current FSX - with upgraded airports, more A.I., more and better flyables, AND CHARGING FOR IT - instead of building a civilian flight game for a market (casual gamers) that only likes blow em up, arcade flight games with unrealistic physics like Ace Combat, and rarely plays games on a PC anyway.

FSX owners is an INSTALLED market. It actually exists! You don't need to speculate. Flight's alleged casual market is a fantasy! It doesn't exist. Isn't it better from a business perspective to pursue a verifiable market than an imaginary one? There are millions of current FSX owners. Why would you not want to target them?

Obviously MS in their delusion thought they could capture BOTH markets with "Flight." Maybe 5% of FSX owners will buy content for Flight. Maybe 2% of so-called casual gamers who even bother to try Flight (and there could be only 45 such people--remember it's on a computer not a console) will purchase additional content for it. Add it up and you've got EPIC FAIL!

Edited by Plainsman (02/17/12 10:22 AM)

#3520799 - 02/17/12 01:06 PM Re: Microsoft Flight boss on "rebooting franchise" [Re: jt_medina]
LarryHookins Offline

Loc: Texas
I think everyone would lke to have the whole world. If there have been any posts against the idea on any forum I've visited, I don't remember them. I'd like to have the whole world myself.

Flight does have a lot going for it. Excellent frame rates with good grapics even on mid-end computers. A much more sophisticated flight model than FSX. Lots of serious simmer stuff that hasn't made it into the videos that Microsoft has released.

I never did much with the FSX missions, but loved the ones in Flight. I flew through some hoops, collected some coins, and learned a bit about precision flying in the process. Landing challenges were as good as anything I've ever encountered in a flight sim. I really enjoyed the aerocaches, as they took me to places I'd have gone anyway if I'd known about them.

Flight gave me a feeling of flying an actual aircraft, something that I never really got in 30 some years since the Apple 2. I'm still trying to figure out why.

One thing you might find interesting. Two different beta testers said that almost half the people they encountered while playing online had never heard of FSX. But they thought flying was really cool, a change from driving or shooting things. These guys had dozens of games and were very serious about them. There's a big market out there.

I won't be giving up FSX any time soon (unless somehow I get the rest of the world to fly in), but I won't be giving up Flight either. It's really compelling, even doing just 'serious' GA flying around Hawaii and ignoring the "gamier" aspects.

Hook

#3520894 - 02/17/12 02:47 PM Re: Microsoft Flight boss on "rebooting franchise" [Re: Plainsman]
malibu43 Offline

Loc: Belmont, CA

Once again, no one has provided a single CIVILIAN flight game title that was a hit with the casual crowd, as evidence such a market exists. Flight will be a COLOSSAL BLUNDER by MS. Their "market" is a fantasy. That's why they hedge in their description in the hope that the flight SIM crowd will be fooled enough to buy this...this thing, when the market they really want proves to be nonexistent.

Maybe 5% of FSX owners will buy content for Flight.

I'm just curious if you were able to try the Beta...?

The reason I ask is that (in my opinion) your assumption that Flight won't appeal to the existing FSX market (or that only 5% will buy any content) is incorrect. Just my opinion. You, of course, are entitled to yours. But I was just curious what experience you're basing that opinion on.

Edited by malibu43 (02/17/12 02:49 PM)

Currently Installed:
Rise of Flight
IL-2 HSFX 7.0
FSX Acceleration
Strike Fighters 2
DCS / Flaming Cliffs 3
Mechwarrior Online

#3521019 - 02/17/12 04:37 PM Re: Microsoft Flight boss on "rebooting franchise" [Re: jt_medina]
magicalflyer Offline

Loc: Indonesia
Just treat Flight as a whole different flightsim than being the "next-gen MSFS", and I believe most of us veteran MSFS users will be able to welcome it without prejudice. As I said before, Flight's future fate is in our hands. Rejecting it just because it's not the next MSFS will only make us responsible for the murder of a potentially good civilian flightsim.

#3521028 - 02/17/12 04:56 PM Re: Microsoft Flight boss on "rebooting franchise" [Re: magicalflyer]
Plainsman Offline

Loc: In a Blue state, thank God
Originally Posted By: magicalflyer
Just treat Flight as a whole different flightsim than being the "next-gen MSFS", and I believe most of us veteran MSFS users will be able to welcome it without prejudice. As I said before, Flight's future fate is in our hands. Rejecting it just because it's not the next MSFS will only make us responsible for the murder of a potentially good civilian flightsim.

It can't be potentially good without the entire earth to fly in immediately! Right now, I'm enjoying the hell out of Antarctica X in FSX. How many years will it take at MS' pace before they make Antarctica available? Iran? Egypt? Israel? Brazil?

All they've got is Hawaii? And what about a variety of planes? Airliners? Where are they? Airports? Air traffic? Where is all that? A hope and a dream?

#3521069 - 02/17/12 05:33 PM Re: Microsoft Flight boss on "rebooting franchise" [Re: Plainsman]
malibu43 Offline

Loc: Belmont, CA
Originally Posted By: magicalflyer

It can't be potentially good without the entire earth to fly in immediately! Right now, I'm enjoying the hell out of Antarctica X in FSX. How many years will it take at MS' pace before they make Antarctica available? Iran? Egypt? Israel? Brazil?

All they've got is Hawaii? And what about a variety of planes? Airliners? Where are they? Airports? Air traffic? Where is all that? A hope and a dream?

Yes, of course. Because for it to be considered "good" by anybody, it needs all those things you listed. rolleyes Just because those are your requirements for a "good" flightsim doesn't mean that's what other require for a "good" flightsim.

"Real Life" flying doesn't require that you fly all over the globe in large airliners, so why would a flight simulator require all of those things? I fly in "Real Life" and I've only flown one type of plane and haven't gone any more than 100 miles from my home airport.

I'm still curious if you've tried the beta or not...

Edited by malibu43 (02/17/12 05:33 PM)

Currently Installed:
Rise of Flight
IL-2 HSFX 7.0
FSX Acceleration
Strike Fighters 2
DCS / Flaming Cliffs 3
Mechwarrior Online

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:

Moderator:  RacerGT, Stormtrooper 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Are 3D printers worth it?
by WileECoyote
14 minutes 24 seconds ago
VVS Gun Cam Footage
by IIN8II
26 minutes 2 seconds ago
Finished PCMR Battlestation
by TigerL0rd
43 minutes 36 seconds ago
New series of video tutorials CoM for Men Of War AS2
by Bisharrako
Today at 01:34 PM
Landplane takes off from the Sea
by DrZebra
Today at 01:28 PM
Banner tow plane crashes and pilot killed
by oldgrognard
Today at 12:49 PM
Xbox One Madden 15 Videos
by Weaponz248
Today at 12:31 PM
XBox One EA Sports UFC Videos
by Weaponz248
Today at 11:35 AM
ArmA3 for Single Player...
by PFunk
Today at 11:20 AM
SimHQ - SciFi Sunday (August 31, 2014)
by THX-1138
Today at 10:41 AM

Forum Use Agreement | Privacy Statement
Copyright 1997-2014, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.