Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#3519597 - 02/16/12 05:06 AM Re: SimHQ 2012 VHR Daytona stock cars [Re: Rigs]  
citizen guod Offline
Lifer
citizen guod  Offline
Lifer

Originally Posted By: Rigs
I'm definitely considering throwing my hat in...I did two tours in the MNRL Busch league and two other leagues during the NR2003 days, but the last time I raced online in any serious way was 200...8 - ish. My G25 has been sitting, gathering dust for months. I'd love to run but kinda worried I'd be the paddle in Doug's virtual pinball nightmare...hahaha

=-Rigs-=

Naaah! Come by Saturday and see how you do. Best way to get back into it is just log laps with this great group of clowns drivers.

Wisdom is knowing what's enough
Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

#3519608 - 02/16/12 05:21 AM Re: SimHQ 2012 VHR Daytona stock cars [Re: Rigs]  
Pumbaa666 Offline
Ze Warthog that is faster then a Cheetah
Pumbaa666  Offline
Ze Warthog that is faster then a Cheetah

South Australia
Originally Posted By: Rigs
I'm definitely considering throwing my hat in...I did two tours in the MNRL Busch league and two other leagues during the NR2003 days, but the last time I raced online in any serious way was 200...8 - ish. My G25 has been sitting, gathering dust for months. I'd love to run but kinda worried I'd be the paddle in Doug's virtual pinball nightmare...hahaha

=-Rigs-=

Trust me that's me... You've got a NASCAR pedigree so no doubt you'll do a lot better then you expect to... It's all for fun, and it's not like you'll kill someone being that paddle... Plus Lug's set up is incredibly stable through the turns... I just can't seem to control it down the straights yet... but I'm getting better...

If you can make the practice races saturday or manage to get online while someone else is it'll help sway that self doubt...

Originally Posted By: SteveGee
but that mod's got some of the screwiest FFB that I've even felt.

Good to see it's not just me who thinks it's all arse up... I turn it down a lot compared to my road racing set up...

"The motivation is high, I enjoy taking the smile off other peoples faces"

Mark Webber
#3519617 - 02/16/12 05:58 AM Re: SimHQ 2012 VHR Daytona stock cars [Re: SteveGee]  
Panther Offline
Panther  Offline

I was thinking about running with you gents, but that mod's got some of the screwiest FFB that I've even felt.

It sends my wheel into fits, I can't get it to stop seesawing back and forwards very violently.

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO, i7 6700k, G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB, 980TI 6GB G1 OC, Obutto oZone, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, NP TrackIR5, ***Soon*** Oculus Rift
#3519620 - 02/16/12 05:59 AM Re: SimHQ 2012 VHR Daytona stock cars [Re: Pumbaa666]  
SteveGee Offline
SteveGee  Offline

Planet Earth
Originally Posted By: Pumbaa666
Good to see it's not just me who thinks it's all arse up... I turn it down a lot compared to my road racing set up...

Well, decided to try a couple of things out. First, I dumped the LeoFFB/RealFeel combo. It's a popular FFB setup on some racing forums, but it works best with a highly modified controller.ini file...which, from looking at the values, VHR doesn't have.

I installed the 0938 version of RealFeel's .dll (latest version). It incorporates some of the slow speed Leo settings...and the FFB is better, as long as I reverse the RealFeel FFB (Right Control-NumPad 8). I also reversed in the RealFeel.ini file one of the new Leo-style settings, eliminating that low speed (below 45MPH or so) weird pull to the outside feeling that 0936/0938 can give you and lowered the numbers on it.

That's made steps in the right direction, at least for me.

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it."
"Politicians are like dirty diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason."

Mark Twain

"I do not suffer from insanity. I enjoy every, single minute of it."
#3519621 - 02/16/12 06:00 AM Re: SimHQ 2012 VHR Daytona stock cars [Re: Panther]  
SteveGee Offline
SteveGee  Offline

Planet Earth
Originally Posted By: *Panther*
It sends my wheel into fits, I can't get it to stop seesawing back and forwards very violently.

Hit Right Control and NumPad 8...that might fix that problem.

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it."
"Politicians are like dirty diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason."

Mark Twain

#3519651 - 02/16/12 08:36 AM Re: SimHQ 2012 VHR Daytona stock cars [Re: citizen guod]  
SteveGee Offline
SteveGee  Offline

Planet Earth
My relatives will be rolling in their graves if they find out, but I'm gonna have to take one of the BowTie Brigade, I think. biggrin

Steve Gee / #29 / Budweiser

Mark Twain

#3519658 - 02/16/12 09:49 AM Re: SimHQ 2012 VHR Daytona stock cars [Re: SteveGee]  
Darren_Blythe Offline
SimHQ MotorSports Editor
Darren_Blythe  Offline
SimHQ MotorSports Editor

Middlesex, UK

Well, decided to try a couple of things out. First, I dumped the LeoFFB/RealFeel combo. It's a popular FFB setup on some racing forums, but it works best with a highly modified controller.ini file...which, from looking at the values, VHR doesn't have.

I installed the 0938 version of RealFeel's .dll (latest version). It incorporates some of the slow speed Leo settings...and the FFB is better, as long as I reverse the RealFeel FFB (Right Control-NumPad 8). I also reversed in the RealFeel.ini file one of the new Leo-style settings, eliminating that low speed (below 45MPH or so) weird pull to the outside feeling that 0936/0938 can give you and lowered the numbers on it.

That's made steps in the right direction, at least for me.

I have the FF slider down to 29 on VHR. Also try dropping the FF effects from Full to Medium. This removes all the canned effects which generally makes it a much more pleasant experience.

Roses are #FF0000 , Violets are #0000FF
#3519668 - 02/16/12 10:24 AM Re: SimHQ 2012 VHR Daytona stock cars [Re: citizen guod]  
SteveGee Offline
SteveGee  Offline

Planet Earth
I'm continuing to tweak RealFeel and VHR's settings and test...getting a bit better, but still can use some more tweaking. The new RealFeel, with Leo's code mixed in, it a bit weird at anything below 35MPH in it's default state but it's not too bad with some tweaking of it and the controller.ini file. For me, dumping that whole RealFeel/Leo combo that comes with VHR and starting fresh with RealFeel's latest was the best thing I could have done.

Can't decide if I want to feel that bump at the start of T1 or not....I sure do miss that big one coming out of T4, though. Almost wish they'd left it in when they repaved the track, gave it some character.

Mark Twain

#3519698 - 02/16/12 12:50 PM Re: SimHQ 2012 VHR Daytona stock cars [Re: citizen guod]  
LugnutUSA Offline
LugnutUSA  Offline

VA, USA
I'm using a Logitech DFP, I don't do much with the FFB settings.

I set mine to wheel/medium at -60% and that's about all I do.

There's very little actual movement from the wheel, just the occasional bump here and there.

I also get the "shaking wheel" problem when I first enter the car and I'm sitting in the garage, but I rarely encounter it after that.

Active Sims: rFactor 1 & 2
#3519703 - 02/16/12 12:56 PM Re: SimHQ 2012 VHR Daytona stock cars [Re: citizen guod]  
LugnutUSA Offline
LugnutUSA  Offline

VA, USA
I'll also mention that the biggest thing anyone can do for themselves to prepare for this event is to practice driving a smooth, consistent line around the track.

In order to be fast here, you have to be able to line up with other cars and push them. This is impossible when the guy in front of you can't keep his car steady and is swerving all over in an unpredictable fashion.

Also, I wound up taking evasive action more than once while following people because they were lifting a little TOO much while following. You really have to stay on it at this track, even when you're backing off (as strange as that sounds).

On a personal note, as I mentioned last night I'm more than willing to work with people on the outside. If I'm behind you and you know the guy in front of you is going to block the low side I'll happily run the high side with you. wink

#3519925 - 02/16/12 06:10 PM Re: SimHQ 2012 VHR Daytona stock cars [Re: LugnutUSA]  
SteveGee Offline
SteveGee  Offline

Planet Earth
Originally Posted By: LugnutUSA
I also get the "shaking wheel" problem when I first enter the car and I'm sitting in the garage, but I rarely encounter it after that.

Does it go away after you put the car into gear? If so, that's part of Leo's code for low speed FFB. If it stays around until you get up to 35-40, that's where the settings seems to "transfer" from Leo to RealFeel.

Mark Twain

#3519953 - 02/16/12 06:26 PM Re: SimHQ 2012 VHR Daytona stock cars [Re: SteveGee]  
LugnutUSA Offline
LugnutUSA  Offline

VA, USA
Originally Posted By: LugnutUSA

Does it go away after you put the car into gear? If so, that's part of Leo's code for low speed FFB. If it stays around until you get up to 35-40, that's where the settings seems to "transfer" from Leo to RealFeel.

It stops when I grab the wheel. Even if I let go it doesn't start again.

#3519961 - 02/16/12 06:32 PM Re: SimHQ 2012 VHR Daytona stock cars [Re: citizen guod]  
SteveGee Offline
SteveGee  Offline

Planet Earth
After re-doing the FFB, I ran some with the RealFeel plug-in before TechAde incorporated Leo's slow speed code into it and some with it in, too...trying to see which one felt best. That wheel shaking started with his latest (0936/0938 versions).

I get that shake back and forth at the start now, too....I don't even have to touch the wheel, just put it into gear and it quits, even if I take it back out of gear. I do get some when I leave the garage until 35MPH or so, then it goes away...it's a product of the new plug-in I'm guessing, but I can temper it with lowering the throttle and brake feedback onto the steering axis in the controller.ini.

I'm getting happier with mine. biggrin

Mark Twain

#3520035 - 02/16/12 07:39 PM Re: SimHQ 2012 VHR Daytona stock cars [Re: citizen guod]  
Weasel_Keeper Offline
SimHQ Forums Manager
Weasel_Keeper  Offline
SimHQ Forums Manager
Veteran

Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA
Originally Posted By: guod
Guys, I saw a few things tonight that everyone will need to be more careful about.

Rubbin' is okay. Slammin' is not.

No one was being intentionally bad, but with the way these cars move around, it could turn into a pinball game with little effort.

Probably a good idea if you get into the grass in the front to try and ease back on track rather than kamakazi'n back on at T1 and T-boning an unsuspecting driver. Luckily I only have a bruised rib. neaner

About pinching a driver down or taking away the inside, the same should be said for the guys who are already on the inside. Try to hold the inside and not come up on the track to pinch an outside guy into the wall. This is easier said than done...I know...I've been guilty and need to work on it myself...lol. There were a few times though I had a good run on the outside and had to lift because the inside guys were coming up the track, or ended up rubbing the wall. Then I lose all momentum and can't catch the pack and end up in the back.

The setup is great, but it takes really smooth movements to stay fast and not all over the place. When I'm pushing I end up adapting the driver style of the guy in front so I don't wreck him but it can get really hairy at times...lol. If I'm being pushed and get ahead of the guy behind I'll stay on the gas but drag my brake for just a second so he can catch up. It's better to stay connected for speed than staying alone with no help while both are running the same slightly slower pace.

"Cave Putorium!"
SoWW #2485
Beware the Weasel
#3520060 - 02/16/12 07:59 PM Re: SimHQ 2012 VHR Daytona stock cars [Re: Weasel_Keeper]  
Darren_Blythe Offline
SimHQ MotorSports Editor
Darren_Blythe  Offline
SimHQ MotorSports Editor

Middlesex, UK
Originally Posted By: Weasel_Keeper

Probably a good idea if you get into the grass in the front to try and ease back on track rather than kamakazi'n back on at T1 and T-boning an unsuspecting driver. Luckily I only have a bruised rib. neaner

Sorry Weasy, I think that could have been me duck. I had a helpful 'push' from Henny that sent me spinning off onto the grass. I had intended to feed back in at a slightly more sympathetic angle but despite being hard on the brakes the car just slid along the grass like a hockey puck and i ended up at right angles to the traffic. I was careering towards the track with my head between my legs thinking i sure hope there's no one coming. Unfortunately there was lol

No more grass related shortcuts and i've sent flowers to the hospital smile Wounded

Roses are #FF0000 , Violets are #0000FF
#3520198 - 02/16/12 10:31 PM Re: SimHQ 2012 VHR Daytona stock cars [Re: citizen guod]  
SteveGee Offline
SteveGee  Offline

Planet Earth
Anyone run during the week on non-scheduled practice race days?

Mark Twain

#3520238 - 02/16/12 11:13 PM Re: SimHQ 2012 VHR Daytona stock cars [Re: citizen guod]  
LugnutUSA Offline
LugnutUSA  Offline

VA, USA
I occasionally race on the UDR server doing pubs. They usually run 10 lap races at Daytona/Talladega.

I'm most likely offline tonight tho.

#3520370 - 02/17/12 02:57 AM Re: SimHQ 2012 VHR Daytona stock cars [Re: citizen guod]  
SteveGee Offline
SteveGee  Offline

Planet Earth
Is there a possibility that the server can be set to the same settings as we'll have during the race, in regards to fuel and time of day?

Mark Twain

#3520373 - 02/17/12 03:00 AM Re: SimHQ 2012 VHR Daytona stock cars [Re: Darren_Blythe]  
Weasel_Keeper Offline
SimHQ Forums Manager
Weasel_Keeper  Offline
SimHQ Forums Manager
Veteran

Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA
Thanks for the flowers Darren! I was just yanking your chain about the accident. I probably could have lifted or tried to avoid but I thought for a second I might make it past your sliding beast.

I'll most likely be on Friday evening around 20:00 (8:00pm) EST for some good practice if anyone cares to join. smile

"Cave Putorium!"
SoWW #2485
Beware the Weasel
#3520477 - 02/17/12 09:23 AM Re: SimHQ 2012 VHR Daytona stock cars [Re: citizen guod]  
Panther Offline
Panther  Offline

Uninstalled all VHR Mids, redownloaded the latest, cleaned HD of all directories in hopes that I may have a chance. I'll install tomorrow and will attempt to run.

*Panther* / 24 / Dupont

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO, i7 6700k, G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB, 980TI 6GB G1 OC, Obutto oZone, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, NP TrackIR5, ***Soon*** Oculus Rift
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.