Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#3516135 - 02/11/12 12:54 AM Re: Microsoft Flight boss on "rebooting franchise" [Re: FearlessFrog]  
Flogger23m Online smile
Flogger23m  Online Smile

US
Originally Posted By: FearlessFrog
Originally Posted By: Flogger23m
Originally Posted By: Cold_Gambler
To be honest, I don't think that there really is a huge market of "casual flight simmers" out there.

There are not even many people interested in arcade style flying games. While the Ace Combat series on the PS2 sold well, with two of the titles earning the "Greatest Hits" label they are still rather unknown and low profile. The latest entry, Assault Horizon, have to shift its focus towards being a CoD style clone with jets because the team was told they were not selling enough copies of the previous Ace Combat style. It would also explain why the few arcade flight games released were done by smaller companies. And the number of these games (Lethal Skies, Aero Elite) have been deceasing steadily over the years.

If casual gamers do not have enough interest in Ace Combat style games, I don't see how something more realistic will sell extremely well. They probably would have a more solid market if they stuck with FSX style realism/gameplay.

While I agree that the 'casual flight sim' market is a bit of a risk for mainstream adoption, your cited AC series numbers look a bit off. The AC6:AH alone has sold about 500,000 units world-wide, with the AC6 before that (just Xbox exclusive) being around 900,000 - and AH still has some more legs in it - plus this is console titles at $60 a pop.

To put it in to perspective, Namco/PA have made more money in 'flight sims' (chuckle) than Maddox Games, Eagle Dynamics and any other of the sims we love to play by a factor of about 10 (guessing, unless the DCS series made more than $20 million and they just keep quiet about it lol). Ironically, Microsoft FSX was the last 'mainstream' money-maker for a large publisher (if you ignore Ubisoft's hands-off approach of SH and CloD)

Microsoft will make a profit on Flight, and might have a new franchise to attract console players (perhaps not the 360, but the one after it) - and the idea of 'putt putt'ing around Maui on the 50' TV with friends' could appeal in large numbers.

Personally it's not what I like, i.e. I'd prefer chess over checkers, but I don't see the harm in a world where lots of different types of players exist. Maybe some of them will go on to wanting a more 'hardcore' experience - and all boats float up etc. Given that FSX was dead, and that Prepare3d exists, there's no harm in Microsoft Flight for our hobby.

I'm just saying that despite the series being popular, and for it is (aside from AH) a perfect game, the sales are still very low compared to other genres. For example, Dead Space 2 sold two million copies and that is hardly a year old. And the Ace Combat series has not had any competition for some years. HAWX 1/2 were very poor. Wings of Prey and Apache Air Assault might count, though I believe those fall more into the Strike Fighters category as a "light sim".

I seem to recall the AC AH devs claiming that Namco was considering to stop funding the series, which is largely the reason for the gameplay change, which did not work out so well.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3516166 - 02/11/12 02:06 AM Re: Microsoft Flight boss on "rebooting franchise" [Re: MedinaES]  
LawnDartLeo Offline
LawnDartLeo  Offline

How many people have purchased ONE addon for FS... in the history of the game. I am wiling to bet that 100,000 would be a GROSS overstatement. But even if it were, No software publisher is interested in Developing a significantly complex simulator for 100,000 potential customers.

Now, how many have purchased 2... 3... 4 or more addons. Those numbers are falling precipitously.

Face it, gentlemen (and ladies if there are any of you out there).... we are a lousy customer base.

FS became what is it because twenty some odd years ago, before ABSOLUTE corporate interest took over, a bunch of geeks with mad coding skillz and a passion for aviation created FS and all its progeny. They made an engine that was fairly open and mod friendly that allowed the cottage industry of addons to sprout of and flourish (I did not say prosper). FSX is the culmination of years, if not decades of development. To think that somebody could make something as good today from scratch is folly.

As far as Flight is concerned, I look at it as the logical (albeit distasteful to many of us) progression of the genre in a world where its all about the bottom line.

Last edited by LawnDartLeo; 02/13/12 05:16 AM.

LawnDartLeo
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz CPU (oc'd 4.3)
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Heat Sink
G.Skill Ripjaws X Series (2 x 2GB) RAM
Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 Motherboard
Windows 7 Professional O/S
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM Hard Disk
Gigabyte GV-N570OC-13I Rev2.0 GeForce GTX 570 1280MB Video Card
Corsair Gaming Series GS600 600W Power Supply
#3516193 - 02/11/12 03:01 AM Re: Microsoft Flight boss on "rebooting franchise" [Re: MedinaES]  
Blade_RJ Offline
Simhq Weather man, dropping rain in your parade
Blade_RJ  Offline
Hotshot

brasil
we are not a lousy consumer base, they are the one wasting money on huge adds for a game and then wanting those ads to be paid, i said many times, if they lower the budget for marketing,games wouldnt need to get so much sales and could even be cheaper. back in the day you saw a magazine add, some banner on the retail, and at most a tv add, now we have trailers and more trailers,adds everywhere in every gaming site, etc.

#3516201 - 02/11/12 03:15 AM Re: Microsoft Flight boss on "rebooting franchise" [Re: MedinaES]  
Duchess Offline
(Formerly Joe Stallin')
Duchess  Offline
(Formerly Joe Stallin')

Ontariariooo
Im thinking maybe we'll have to have an active input in flight Sims of the future? Perhaps paying a company to do the coding, but have us the simmers do some of the research legwork.

#3516207 - 02/11/12 03:22 AM Re: Microsoft Flight boss on "rebooting franchise" [Re: MedinaES]  
Blade_RJ Offline
Blade_RJ  Offline
Hotshot

brasil
are you kidding stalin ? dont you remember il-2 ? how vocal one group was that flight model should be this, while the other disagree and so forth..the game wouldnt ever get made,lol.

#3516268 - 02/11/12 06:41 AM Re: Microsoft Flight boss on "rebooting franchise" [Re: MedinaES]  
magicalflyer Offline
magicalflyer  Offline

Indonesia
It's real simple. Take the guns away, casual gamers run away. Sightseeing appeal? Try take the killing away from GTA and TES and see if it works.

"It ebbs and flows, shipmate. A hot woman and a cold beer will put all this in proper perspective."
#3516283 - 02/11/12 07:21 AM Re: Microsoft Flight boss on "rebooting franchise" [Re: MedinaES]  
BeachAV8R Offline
Lifer
BeachAV8R  Offline
Lifer

KCLT
Welcome to the new way to play your flight games...

I want to see him eject..

#3516296 - 02/11/12 08:20 AM Re: Microsoft Flight boss on "rebooting franchise" [Re: MedinaES]  
WileECoyote Offline
WileECoyote  Offline

Argentina
Oh man, I know we look lame with TrackIR attached to our heads, but this?!

On the topic. As others said, the market that they are targeting doesn't exist, and won't exist. Period.

When you're feeling sad, just remember that somewhere in the world, there's someone pushing a door that says "pull".
#3516303 - 02/11/12 09:01 AM Re: Microsoft Flight boss on "rebooting franchise" [Re: MedinaES]  
Rodney Offline
Tea & Medals
Rodney  Offline
Tea & Medals

It's not aimed at a bunch of gripey old guys that have been hanging around the same forum for a decade and have been playing sims since the 80's.

Remember the microsoft sticks planes in the 80's? What are we playing now?. What will the new generation that will pick up microsft flight be playing in a decades time?, Photo real sims in their 360 degree gaming visors?.

The more flight sims on the market the better, keeps the genre buoyant .

#3516344 - 02/11/12 11:26 AM Re: Microsoft Flight boss on "rebooting franchise" [Re: WileECoyote]  
magicalflyer Offline
magicalflyer  Offline

Indonesia
Originally Posted By: WileECoyote
As others said, the market that they are targeting doesn't exist, and won't exist. Period.
Absolutely agree. But MS seems to have the best marketing team in the world. Maybe they see something we don't. I don't like whatever they're seeing, though..

"It ebbs and flows, shipmate. A hot woman and a cold beer will put all this in proper perspective."
#3516416 - 02/11/12 02:36 PM Re: Microsoft Flight boss on "rebooting franchise" [Re: Rodney]  
MedinaES Offline
MedinaES  Offline

Destination Unknown...
Originally Posted By: Rodney

The more flight sims on the market the better, keeps the genre buoyant .

+1

#3516422 - 02/11/12 02:50 PM Re: Microsoft Flight boss on "rebooting franchise" [Re: MedinaES]  
Plainsman Offline
Plainsman  Offline

Vikings Season Ticket Holder
WileECoyote is correct. The market doesn't exist for Flight, although the game will sell initially brcause of simplayers who are desperate for something completely new, and their curiousity will get the better of them. Then they'll realize how lame Flight is, how totally inadequate it is to real flight simulation - You can only fly around Hawaii, and there are no A.I. aircraft! Some will hang on to Flight because they are embarrased to have purchased it, and will rationalize their purchase by saying "well, MS plans to reproduce the rest of the world (not true) and A.I. aircraft (also, not true).

I love both FS9 and FSX. I usually fly low and slow GA aircraft for visual treats, and thats what I get with FSX, GEX, REX2, and the graphics and autogen sliders pushed all the way to the max. And I want to fly over any major city in the world. I fly over the Middle East, Eastern Europe, Africa, Antartica, and a hundred different locales in the USA. I WANT THE WHOLE DOGGONE WORLD! And sometimes I do want to get into a 737 and fly from Montreal to MExico City, or from Reykavik, Iceland to Rome, Italy. And I want the option to do that OUT OF THE BOX. I want the option to fly lots of different aircraft, including helicopters, OUT OF THE BOX.

i don't want a game; I want a simulation. Flight sucks.

Last edited by Plainsman; 02/11/12 02:57 PM.

Acer: XB 280HK 28" 3840 X 2160, 1ms, w/Nvidia GSync
Corsair: White Graphite 760T Full Tower
Corsair: 16GB Vengeance LPX 2800MHz RAM
Corsair: SP2500 2.1 Gaming Speaker System
INTEL: Six-Core, i7 5820K CPU @4.2Hz
ASUS RTX OC 2080
Logitech 920 Wheel and Pedal System with Wheel Stand Pro
Saitek Pro Flight Control System with Wheel Stand Pro
Saitek X55 HOTAS
XBOX One S
Track IR5

#3516469 - 02/11/12 04:25 PM Re: Microsoft Flight boss on "rebooting franchise" [Re: MedinaES]  
HogDriver Offline
Retired Flight Simmer
HogDriver  Offline
Retired Flight Simmer

Plainsman, MS Flight is free to play. The only thing you buy is the addons.

I agree with what has been said before. The market they are aiming at doesn't exist, and casual gamers will get bored after 5 minutes with nothing to shoot at.

Even if a casual gamer found some interest in flight sims after this, where would he go next? 6 year old FSX, if you can still find it instore? X-Plane 10, which would probably put them off flight sims? (not very noob friendly is what I mean) Strike Fighters 2, which is only available online and they probably won't be aware of it? I can't see them going for DCS A-10C because of the complexity.

I'm sorry, but I can't see Flight being in any way GOOD for the flight sim business. If Flight fails spectacularly, it's probably going to make other publishers even more scared to make a flight sim.

I refuse to buy a flight sim that I have no interest in playing, on the off chance that MAYBE someday they'll make the one I really want to play.

#3516533 - 02/11/12 06:48 PM Re: Microsoft Flight boss on "rebooting franchise" [Re: HogDriver]  
malibu43 Offline
malibu43  Offline

SoCal
Originally Posted By: Plainsman
...The market doesn't exist for Flight,

Originally Posted By: HogDriver
... The market they are aiming at doesn't exist, ...

Can you guys site the data/research to back this up?

Sager NP8671 17.3" Notebook, i74720HQ (3.6GHz), GTX 970M (3.0GB), 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1TB 7200RPM HD, TrackIR 4, CH HOTAS and rudder pedals
#3516543 - 02/11/12 07:05 PM Re: Microsoft Flight boss on "rebooting franchise" [Re: MedinaES]  
magicalflyer Offline
magicalflyer  Offline

Indonesia
Quote:

As for me I only use logic and observing people I know (my friends and the local gaming community in which I'm a member). Flight seems to be too boring to the casual gamers and will still be too complicated. These are the people who say that landing airplanes in Strike Fighters difficult, anyway. As for hardcore simmers, many here have stated the reasons why.

#3516561 - 02/11/12 07:38 PM Re: Microsoft Flight boss on "rebooting franchise" [Re: magicalflyer]  
MedinaES Offline
MedinaES  Offline

Destination Unknown...
The problem is, some people assume hardcore simmers won't buy addons for Flight. If these addons are realistic enough, I have no problem at all. In fact I find that way much easier, with everything in just one marketplace.

Besides, Strike Fighters is not a hardcore simulator and there it is people buy it and having fun.

MS Flight developers have already said there is no limitation on what they can do. It's just a matter of support. If people say I want them to fail, no matter what, then of course MS Flight will fail.

This is the same story since any version of FS, when FSX was about to be released people complaint about the missions saying it was arcadish. So nothing new here. In fact FSX has same arcade features as MS Flight has but people seem to forget it.

On the success of MS Flight, It will all depend on the support we give to it and what we demand. If people start asking for realistic planes and they see we are willing to pay for them then, I don't see why it should fail at all.

I think we should at least download it and give it a try.

#3516590 - 02/11/12 08:45 PM Re: Microsoft Flight boss on "rebooting franchise" [Re: MedinaES]  
magicalflyer Offline
magicalflyer  Offline

Indonesia
I've stopped worrying about arcade FM in Flight since someone here said it was actually on par with FSX. My biggest worry is the lack of the whole wide world as a playground. While it's true that there are always addons in the future, I can only imagine how much money is needed to put in the rest of the world in Flight. Oh, I wont blindly close the door for it. I'll certainly download and try it. But I have a feeling I'll get back to FS9 and iFly 737 in a hurry.

#3516600 - 02/11/12 09:09 PM Re: Microsoft Flight boss on "rebooting franchise" [Re: malibu43]  
Plainsman Offline
Plainsman  Offline

Vikings Season Ticket Holder
Originally Posted By: malibu43
Originally Posted By: Plainsman
...The market doesn't exist for Flight,

Originally Posted By: HogDriver
... The market they are aiming at doesn't exist, ...

Point to a CIVILIAN flight game that has succeeded with the console/gamepad/casual crowd MS thinks exists? The casual crowd is a short attention span crowd. With nothing to bomb or shoot or kill, their attention won't last long.

And MS will not respond to the expressed desires of simmers and produce more realistic flight models, etc. That's a fantasy. If they cared about simmers they would've done the next iteration of Flight Simulator instead of Flight. They don't give a flying f!@#$ about simmers. Sometimes the truth hurts, people.

Acer: XB 280HK 28" 3840 X 2160, 1ms, w/Nvidia GSync
Corsair: White Graphite 760T Full Tower
Corsair: 16GB Vengeance LPX 2800MHz RAM
Corsair: SP2500 2.1 Gaming Speaker System
INTEL: Six-Core, i7 5820K CPU @4.2Hz
ASUS RTX OC 2080
Logitech 920 Wheel and Pedal System with Wheel Stand Pro
Saitek Pro Flight Control System with Wheel Stand Pro
Saitek X55 HOTAS
XBOX One S
Track IR5

#3516620 - 02/11/12 09:59 PM Re: Microsoft Flight boss on "rebooting franchise" [Re: MedinaES]  
Evil Flower Offline
Evil Flower  Offline

Eslöv, Sverige
Pilotwings has been around since at least the late 80's.

#3516752 - 02/12/12 01:36 AM Re: Microsoft Flight boss on "rebooting franchise" [Re: Evil Flower]  
MedinaES Offline
MedinaES  Offline

Destination Unknown...
Originally Posted By: Evil Flower
Pilotwings has been around since at least the late 80's.

And Flight Simulator too. smile

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.