Forums » Air Combat & Civil Aviation » Civil Aviation - General » Microsoft Flight boss on "rebooting franchise" Active Topics You are not logged in. [Log In] [Register User]
Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#3516416 - 02/11/12 09:36 AM Re: Microsoft Flight boss on "rebooting franchise" [Re: Rodney]
jt_medina Offline

Loc: Destination Unknown...
Originally Posted By: Rodney

The more flight sims on the market the better, keeps the genre buoyant .

+1

#3516422 - 02/11/12 09:50 AM Re: Microsoft Flight boss on "rebooting franchise" [Re: jt_medina]
Plainsman Offline

Loc: In a Blue state, thank God
WileECoyote is correct. The market doesn't exist for Flight, although the game will sell initially brcause of simplayers who are desperate for something completely new, and their curiousity will get the better of them. Then they'll realize how lame Flight is, how totally inadequate it is to real flight simulation - You can only fly around Hawaii, and there are no A.I. aircraft! Some will hang on to Flight because they are embarrased to have purchased it, and will rationalize their purchase by saying "well, MS plans to reproduce the rest of the world (not true) and A.I. aircraft (also, not true).

I love both FS9 and FSX. I usually fly low and slow GA aircraft for visual treats, and thats what I get with FSX, GEX, REX2, and the graphics and autogen sliders pushed all the way to the max. And I want to fly over any major city in the world. I fly over the Middle East, Eastern Europe, Africa, Antartica, and a hundred different locales in the USA. I WANT THE WHOLE DOGGONE WORLD! And sometimes I do want to get into a 737 and fly from Montreal to MExico City, or from Reykavik, Iceland to Rome, Italy. And I want the option to do that OUT OF THE BOX. I want the option to fly lots of different aircraft, including helicopters, OUT OF THE BOX.

i don't want a game; I want a simulation. Flight sucks.

Edited by Plainsman (02/11/12 09:57 AM)

#3516469 - 02/11/12 11:25 AM Re: Microsoft Flight boss on "rebooting franchise" [Re: jt_medina]
HogDriver Offline
Retired Flight Simmer

Plainsman, MS Flight is free to play. The only thing you buy is the addons.

I agree with what has been said before. The market they are aiming at doesn't exist, and casual gamers will get bored after 5 minutes with nothing to shoot at.

Even if a casual gamer found some interest in flight sims after this, where would he go next? 6 year old FSX, if you can still find it instore? X-Plane 10, which would probably put them off flight sims? (not very noob friendly is what I mean) Strike Fighters 2, which is only available online and they probably won't be aware of it? I can't see them going for DCS A-10C because of the complexity.

I'm sorry, but I can't see Flight being in any way GOOD for the flight sim business. If Flight fails spectacularly, it's probably going to make other publishers even more scared to make a flight sim.

#3516533 - 02/11/12 01:48 PM Re: Microsoft Flight boss on "rebooting franchise" [Re: HogDriver]
malibu43 Online   content

Loc: Belmont, CA
Originally Posted By: Plainsman
...The market doesn't exist for Flight,

Originally Posted By: HogDriver
... The market they are aiming at doesn't exist, ...

Can you guys site the data/research to back this up?

Currently Installed:
Rise of Flight
IL-2 HSFX 7.0
FSX Acceleration
Strike Fighters 2
DCS / Flaming Cliffs 3
Mechwarrior Online

#3516543 - 02/11/12 02:05 PM Re: Microsoft Flight boss on "rebooting franchise" [Re: jt_medina]
magicalflyer Offline

Loc: Indonesia
Quote:

As for me I only use logic and observing people I know (my friends and the local gaming community in which I'm a member). Flight seems to be too boring to the casual gamers and will still be too complicated. These are the people who say that landing airplanes in Strike Fighters difficult, anyway. As for hardcore simmers, many here have stated the reasons why.

#3516561 - 02/11/12 02:38 PM Re: Microsoft Flight boss on "rebooting franchise" [Re: magicalflyer]
jt_medina Offline

The problem is, some people assume hardcore simmers won't buy addons for Flight. If these addons are realistic enough, I have no problem at all. In fact I find that way much easier, with everything in just one marketplace.

Besides, Strike Fighters is not a hardcore simulator and there it is people buy it and having fun.

MS Flight developers have already said there is no limitation on what they can do. It's just a matter of support. If people say I want them to fail, no matter what, then of course MS Flight will fail.

This is the same story since any version of FS, when FSX was about to be released people complaint about the missions saying it was arcadish. So nothing new here. In fact FSX has same arcade features as MS Flight has but people seem to forget it.

On the success of MS Flight, It will all depend on the support we give to it and what we demand. If people start asking for realistic planes and they see we are willing to pay for them then, I don't see why it should fail at all.

I think we should at least download it and give it a try.

#3516590 - 02/11/12 03:45 PM Re: Microsoft Flight boss on "rebooting franchise" [Re: jt_medina]
magicalflyer Offline

Loc: Indonesia
I've stopped worrying about arcade FM in Flight since someone here said it was actually on par with FSX. My biggest worry is the lack of the whole wide world as a playground. While it's true that there are always addons in the future, I can only imagine how much money is needed to put in the rest of the world in Flight. Oh, I wont blindly close the door for it. I'll certainly download and try it. But I have a feeling I'll get back to FS9 and iFly 737 in a hurry.

#3516600 - 02/11/12 04:09 PM Re: Microsoft Flight boss on "rebooting franchise" [Re: malibu43]
Plainsman Offline

Loc: In a Blue state, thank God
Originally Posted By: malibu43
Originally Posted By: Plainsman
...The market doesn't exist for Flight,

Originally Posted By: HogDriver
... The market they are aiming at doesn't exist, ...

Point to a CIVILIAN flight game that has succeeded with the console/gamepad/casual crowd MS thinks exists? The casual crowd is a short attention span crowd. With nothing to bomb or shoot or kill, their attention won't last long.

And MS will not respond to the expressed desires of simmers and produce more realistic flight models, etc. That's a fantasy. If they cared about simmers they would've done the next iteration of Flight Simulator instead of Flight. They don't give a flying f!@#$ about simmers. Sometimes the truth hurts, people.

#3516620 - 02/11/12 04:59 PM Re: Microsoft Flight boss on "rebooting franchise" [Re: jt_medina]
Evil Flower Offline

Loc: Eslöv, Sverige
Pilotwings has been around since at least the late 80's.

#3516752 - 02/11/12 08:36 PM Re: Microsoft Flight boss on "rebooting franchise" [Re: Evil Flower]
jt_medina Offline

Originally Posted By: Evil Flower
Pilotwings has been around since at least the late 80's.

And Flight Simulator too. smile

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:

Moderator:  EinsteinEP, RacerGT, Stormtrooper 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Definition of Grind, Unlock and XP?
by MarkG
05:23 PM
The lesson is ...
by oldgrognard
04:39 PM
Star Wars Episode 3.1 - Prequel Supercut?
by phd_doc
03:39 PM
Possible terrorist shooting attack in in Ottawa
by Raw Kryptonite
01:11 PM
Building A REIT Portfolio For a High School Kid
by Haggart
10:28 AM
il-2 BoS released.
by Sokol1
09:35 AM
What aircrafts can you identify in this video?
by SteveHarris
09:19 AM
U-571 (real one)
by Stormtrooper
08:51 AM
Free or Demos?
by flyboy77
08:31 AM
Dat .50 loot - updated with a short vid.
by Ajay
05:35 AM

Forum Use Agreement | Privacy Statement
Copyright 1997-2014, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.