Forums » Air Combat & Civil Aviation » Civil Aviation - General » Microsoft Flight boss on "rebooting franchise" Active Topics You are not logged in. [Log In] [Register User]
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#3515794 - 02/10/12 12:49 PM Microsoft Flight boss on "rebooting franchise"
jt_medina Offline

Loc: Destination Unknown...
Full interview here.
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/te...ht_boss_on.html

Staff EDIT: Article repost removed.

No, you just cannot compare consoles to PC directly. Consoles could do at least 2x what a comparable PC can due to the fixed platform and low-level access to hardware. - Oles Shishkovstov 4A's chief technical officer -

#3515816 - 02/10/12 01:12 PM Re: Microsoft Flight boss on "rebooting franchise" [Re: jt_medina]
Tigerwulf Offline

Loc: Wolverhampton, UK
Quote:

Q: It seems like the tradeoff you made - building richer, smaller locales to explore in the game - is the loss of the full, open world that could be explored in "Flight Simulator"?

A: The bet we've made is that to the non-hardcore simmer, flying the whole world isn't as interesting when there's nothing really interesting to see or do. I do get that for some segment of the audience that was one of the values - I can fly anywhere, into any airport, 25,000-odd airports was crazy.

But I think as you try to broaden and you want to bring in not the next million or two but the next 20 million or 30 million people, you say I will err on the side of more interesting area that's dense than the same amount of content spread all over the globe. There's a lot to do in Hawaii, and Hawaii is gorgeous.

I'm so sick of this, hey lets appeal to everyone. Yeah they'll make more money but they're creating an ethos of a shallow, pick up and play mentallity to flight simming. Why couldn't they have progressed with FSX taking it one stage further? they could add all the crap that they are doing with this to an actual flight sim so that when people get a taste for it they can progress within the sim. It seems as though Flight will just be a dead end for casual gamers that pick it up because where will they go when they need depth and true simulation?

And no, fly anywhere into any airport isn't crazy it's aviation and it's what people that bought Flight Simulator wanted. I'm sure Hawaii is gorgeous, but there isn't 'alot to do' in aviation terms. There is in a car, or a micro light or v small GA aircraft. There's a little sight seeing.

Everything is getting so watered down.

#3515830 - 02/10/12 01:22 PM Re: Microsoft Flight boss on "rebooting franchise" [Re: jt_medina]
Dart Online   smile
Just upgraded from intern
Veteran

Loc: Alabaster, AL USA
Let me put six bazookas on an L-5 like that guy did in WWII and I'm sold.

Otherwise, meh.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."

#3515881 - 02/10/12 02:24 PM Re: Microsoft Flight boss on "rebooting franchise" [Re: jt_medina]
Snapdad2112 Offline
Hotshot

Glad the franchise hasn't gone the way of the Dodo, like it appeared it might have a couple years ago.

Looking forward to this!

#3515895 - 02/10/12 02:49 PM Re: Microsoft Flight boss on "rebooting franchise" [Re: Tigerwulf]
Weaponz248 Offline
Hail To The King Baby!!

Loc: Rapid City SD USA
Originally Posted By: Tigerwulf
Quote:

Q: It seems like the tradeoff you made - building richer, smaller locales to explore in the game - is the loss of the full, open world that could be explored in "Flight Simulator"?

A: The bet we've made is that to the non-hardcore simmer, flying the whole world isn't as interesting when there's nothing really interesting to see or do. I do get that for some segment of the audience that was one of the values - I can fly anywhere, into any airport, 25,000-odd airports was crazy.

But I think as you try to broaden and you want to bring in not the next million or two but the next 20 million or 30 million people, you say I will err on the side of more interesting area that's dense than the same amount of content spread all over the globe. There's a lot to do in Hawaii, and Hawaii is gorgeous.

I'm so sick of this, hey lets appeal to everyone. Yeah they'll make more money but they're creating an ethos of a shallow, pick up and play mentallity to flight simming. Why couldn't they have progressed with FSX taking it one stage further? they could add all the crap that they are doing with this to an actual flight sim so that when people get a taste for it they can progress within the sim. It seems as though Flight will just be a dead end for casual gamers that pick it up because where will they go when they need depth and true simulation?

And no, fly anywhere into any airport isn't crazy it's aviation and it's what people that bought Flight Simulator wanted. I'm sure Hawaii is gorgeous, but there isn't 'alot to do' in aviation terms. There is in a car, or a micro light or v small GA aircraft. There's a little sight seeing.

Everything is getting so watered down.

+1

I agree with you bud. I play a flight sim for the sim aspect and to fly into different airports and to fly different airplanes. I do some sight seeing but I like the ability to load up a airport anywhere and just fly.

I will be honest I was going to stick with FSX but I did some research and decided to go with X plane 10. It helped that the wife let me!

Microsoft will probably lose some hardcore simmers but in the end the massive gain of casual gamers will end up helping Microsoft make more money.

Desktop Specs:
Dell XPS 630i/Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650@3.00GHZ/8 GB RAM/Nvidia GeForce GTX 570/Windows 7 64 bit/23" HP Monitor 1920x1080
Laptop Specs:
Asus G75VW/Intel Core I7-3610QM@2.3GHZ/16 GB RAM/GeForce GTX 660M/Windows 7 64 bit/ 17.3" Display 1920x1080

#3515901 - 02/10/12 02:54 PM Re: Microsoft Flight boss on "rebooting franchise" [Re: jt_medina]
Para_Bellum Offline
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Loc: Germany
It's kinda sad when you realize you're not in the targeted audience group for what used to be THE PC flightsim anymore.

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm

#3515902 - 02/10/12 02:54 PM Re: Microsoft Flight boss on "rebooting franchise" [Re: Weaponz248]
PanzerMeyer Offline
Effervescent Libertarian - SimHQ Supporter
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Loc: Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Weaponz248
Microsoft will probably lose some hardcore simmers but in the end the massive gain of casual gamers will end up helping Microsoft make more money.

This is exactly the scenario that will happen and ultimately is really the only thing that MS cares about. I can't say I really blame them though. MS is a multi-billion dollar company so why would they waste their time and resources in making a product that only a relatively small number of consumers will buy when instead they can make something that will potentially attract a much larger group of consumers?

Edited by PanzerMeyer (02/10/12 02:59 PM)

#3515924 - 02/10/12 03:16 PM Re: Microsoft Flight boss on "rebooting franchise" [Re: jt_medina]
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Loc: Space Coast, USA
It's just too bad the program can't do both.

The Jedi Master

#3515928 - 02/10/12 03:19 PM Re: Microsoft Flight boss on "rebooting franchise" [Re: Weaponz248]
Johan217 Offline

Loc: Gent, Belgium
Originally Posted By: Weaponz248

I very much doubt that the average gamer will find the idea of flying through hoops appealing. Now if MS had come up with "Red Bull Air Racing 2012" or "Air Rescue Squad", then I could see their point, and it would probably even have appealed to part of the flightsimmer crowd.

Edited by Johan217 (02/10/12 03:19 PM)

#3515936 - 02/10/12 03:28 PM Re: Microsoft Flight boss on "rebooting franchise" [Re: jt_medina]
Cold_Gambler Offline

To be honest, I don't think that there really is a huge market of "casual flight simmers" out there.

There are actually a lot of other flight sims that are less complex than MS FS and X-Plane, many of them are free, some of them can be played on the iPad and NONE of them has garnered a huge slice of the "gaming market".

Let's face it, flying appeals to us but not to a large percentage of the population.

Those who DO like flight simming primarily enjoy it for its realism and immersion and a big part of that immersion is that its NOT a simplification of reality, its an effort to recreate reality with all its complexity.

In short, I feel MS has got the wrong end of the stick and has let go of a bird in the hand in the hopes of catching two illusory birds in the bush.
8 GB DDR3 1600
Win7 home 64 bit
450 GB VelociRaptor
Recon3D Champion

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:

Moderator:  RacerGT, Stormtrooper 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Rise of Flight me too
by Coot
Today at 10:30 PM
A-10 Thunderbolt set to chase storms....
by RacerGT
Today at 10:09 PM
Seafury on it's belly
by Weird_Crapolla
Today at 09:23 PM
I love you guys!
by Coot
Today at 08:53 PM
The Hot/Crazy Matrix - How to correctly determine women for Dating/Marriage
by Bill_Grant
Today at 08:37 PM
Son races deceased father's ghost in Xbox racer
by WileECoyote
Today at 08:23 PM
Assetto Corsa Mighty Lotus 98T...
by SHar82
Today at 06:27 PM
Thus far, what is your highest-rated Train Sim 2014 DLC for passenger train routes?
by letterboy1
Today at 06:23 PM
A bit of Assetto Corsa.... and the mighty Lotus Renault 98T
by SHar82
Today at 05:27 PM
How to weaponize your micro wave oven
by Blade_RJ
Today at 05:15 PM

Forum Use Agreement | Privacy Statement
Copyright 1997-2014, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.