Forums » Air Combat & Civil Aviation » Third Wire Series » Carrier Landing in WoV Active Topics You are not logged in. [Log In] [Register User]
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#3514039 - 02/08/12 01:16 AM Carrier Landing in WoV
magicalflyer Offline

Loc: Indonesia
OK, I admit defeat. This been bothering me for a long time now. Just how do you land any WoV jet on a CV? I tried all known technique to do it properly to no avail. The instrument panel (in all jets) blocks the view forward. There's an HSI and I could live with that if only they also include glideslope indicator in the plane! But there's none. Sure I can get rid of the whole instrument panel to see the carrier, but how would I know I was in a proper AoA and glideslope with just altitude and speed info available to me? To add insult to injury, the CV doesn't even have a meatball. The only time I scored a successful trap, I had to stay 500ft above water until in close and maintain 150-170 knots. Needless to say, I sure thought the impact upon touchdown would be enough to sink the carrier.
Since no one has complaint about this here, I assume there's a proper technique to do it in WoV? Sure, the game won't mind if I just press ESC upon arriving near the carrier, but the simmer's pride in me hurt so much everytime I do that..
Thanks.

#3514059 - 02/08/12 03:07 AM Re: Carrier Landing in WoV [Re: magicalflyer]
komemiute Offline
Hell Drummer

Yeah, I hear you.
I had the same issue.

Unfortunately there's no way around.
A small trick is to remove entirely the Dashboard with (I think) the ".(del)" key from the numeric keypad.

I actually bound that key to a button of my HOTAS...
Never give up, trust your instinct!

"It takes forever +/- 2 weeks for the A-10 to get anywhere significant..."
Ice

"Ha! If it gets him on the deck its a start!"
MigBuster

"What people like and what critics praise are rarely the same thing. 'Critic' is just another one of those unnecessary, overpaid, parasitic jobs that the human race has churned out so that clever slackers won't have to actually get a real job and possibly soil their hands."
Sauron

#3514429 - 02/08/12 02:53 PM Re: Carrier Landing in WoV [Re: magicalflyer]
Lion Offline

Loc: Canada
The glideslope and localizer should be showing on your steam gauges in the cockpit on the attitude indicator. Are they not? and what plane are you landing with?

#3514589 - 02/08/12 06:03 PM Re: Carrier Landing in WoV [Re: magicalflyer]
MigBuster Offline

Loc: UK
Practise with the A-4 (easiest) - One easy method - keep higher than the carrier so you can dip the nose to see where you are - then nose onto the deck - aim well forward on the deck runway (its moving so you need to anticipate where its going) and lastly flare.

#3514625 - 02/08/12 06:47 PM Re: Carrier Landing in WoV [Re: magicalflyer]
Lion Offline

Loc: Canada
Flare?! On a carrier landing!? Blasphemy!

#3514880 - 02/09/12 07:45 AM Re: Carrier Landing in WoV [Re: magicalflyer]
crl848 Offline

What you need to do is fly the normal carrier circuit and then, on finals, raise your viewpoint with the mouse/hat so that you're looking straight through the gunsight. Then you'll be able to see the deck. The downside is that you can't see the panel without looking down, but with all the other parameters right, you should be flying at basically the correct attitude. This way you don't need to push up/down and flare, so it's a much more realistic approach.

#3515182 - 02/09/12 02:28 PM Re: Carrier Landing in WoV [Re: Lion]
MigBuster Offline

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By: NPOSuperhornet
Flare?! On a carrier landing!? Blasphemy!

ha - If it gets him on the deck its a start

#3516424 - 02/11/12 09:54 AM Re: Carrier Landing in WoV [Re: magicalflyer]
magicalflyer Offline

Loc: Indonesia
Sorry, haven't drop by here for a while. I use Phantom mostly. I think I make some progress. My fault was because I used to do it by the book. WoV needs a different approach. 170 knots on final, keep the carrier just under the lower HUD frame. Flare upon crossing the deck to touchdown at around 150 knots. Half the time I made it. The difficult thing is to know when to flare. That cursed instrument panel.. And forget the "full throttle on landing" doctrine. You do that, you die. And it seems that pitch angle is important too for the hook to catch. Oh, and I don't think I ever saw a G/S indicator in the cockpit.

#3521713 - 02/18/12 04:48 PM Re: Carrier Landing in WoV [Re: magicalflyer]
damson Offline

Loc: Hiding in the bushes
Heh, during my first landings I used F5 view. Then I discovered the "hide cockpit" key command so I used this one instead. Nevertheless I tried to land with the cockpit view and its doable but hard. Looking a bit up can help due to the changing point of view during head movement (the same as in Jane's F-15 - when you turn your head the point where your eyes are in space is changing and therefore the point from where you see the world in the sim is also changing, unlike in i.e. LockOn).

#3526808 - 02/26/12 11:44 PM Re: Carrier Landing in WoV [Re: magicalflyer]
mlracing Offline
Mr

Loc: the Earth
Programmer: only because I don't want to spend the time like you.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:

Moderator:  EinsteinEP, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Getting back into IL2
by tmdgm
0 seconds ago
Elite: Dangerous (v2.02)
by Brennus
Yesterday at 11:40 PM
Really? Should have called me
by Timothy
Yesterday at 11:26 PM
FH2 intense Rally Race (video)
by Magnum
Yesterday at 08:19 PM
computer not playing 1080 video properly
by peppergomez
Yesterday at 08:13 PM
FS: Fanatec CS Steering Wheel Round1
by Patrocles
Yesterday at 06:57 PM
FC3 Training Missions Question
by Bucksnort
Yesterday at 06:17 PM
Visually Stunning, Norway in 4k
by JimK
Yesterday at 06:01 PM
My Forza Horizon 2 Cars
by Weaponz248
Yesterday at 01:26 PM
PS4 Driveclub won't support Fanatec or Logitech Wheels
by kludger
Yesterday at 01:06 PM

Forum Use Agreement | Privacy Statement
Copyright 1997-2014, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.