I've been researching my favorite WWI plane, to the death for some time now...
(Many thanks to Jim Miller, (JFM), for his help and coopperation!)
I have noticed many mistakes, minor for most people, still mistakes though,
on the default D.Va template-skin and therefore to so many skins derived from them.
I was trying to figure out how would have been the best way to address those mistakes,
without so much modding (bump map editing) like in the Johannisthal Mod D.III...
Anyway, long story short, here are my first attempts to do so, first with the camo versions,
that IMO, are most mispresented now, in game...Generic D.Va (Johannisthal) with dark green-lilac camo.
Corrected placement of the weights table stencil and addition of the centerline stencil, on both sides.
(by default in game the weights table is for a Johannisthal machine, but placed in the OAW spot).
Added missing bolts for instrument fastening at the fuselage.
Elimination from the template and alpha channel, of the engine hood crease, which is an OAW characteristic.
The dark green metal primer used by default derived probably after a misinterpretation in the restoration of the Smithsonian Museum Albatros.
(So it may considered questionable)...
I'm using here a gray color with greenish tint (similar to RAL 02) based on a latest research at "The Aerodrome" matching Methuen to Resene color codes,
which is today's general consensus of the hue of that color had, originally.
(a bit darkened here for a D.Va as the late Dan-San Abbott had suggested)
Identification placards on the upper, lower and fuselage at the appropriate placement for a Johannisthal machine.
Added the Nicht Auftreten!
(No Step!) stencil on the lower wing roots leading edge.
Identification stencil on the V struts, corrected.
Added the rigging instructions sheet on the correct placement for a Johannisthal machine,
(here on starboard side, could be on port as well)
The camo pattern is the most typical for a D.Va,
i.e. dark green-lilac-dark green for the upper wing and tailplane,
lilac-dark green for both port and starboard lower wings.
The colors I'm ussing for dark green and lilac are still WiP.
The lilac hue is under debate by many researchers, still...
Next in line is the D.Va dressed as D.V...
We have many of them in game too but, most of the times a little something is misinterpreted or missing... Generic D.V with dark green-lilac camo.
As for the D.Va above, all the proper ID placards, stencils and rigging sheets are placed in the correct placement, for a Johannisthal machine.
(All the D.V-s were manufactured at the Johannisthal Werke).
the hood crease has been eliminated as well as the fastening belt of the engine hood panels,
(a D.Va characteristic).
Under certain lighting conditions the belt is still visible as the normal map remains untouched.
The color of the metal parts primer has been adjusted.
Looks like the color of the primed metal parts in cockpit.
IMO this way should look the metal parts of all Albatrosse in game.
The camo is a typical camo used by Albatros in mid'17.
The colors of the upper tailplane could be mirrored as well.
I used here another hue of lilac, taken from my friend and profile artist BLOWHARD, (Dave Douglass).
Which one do you thing "feels" better, as the original color is still in dispute.
And a picture of a D.V to be upratted from my still unfinished Jasta 37 pack,
showing the new metal primer and the little details added in close up.
Your comments, (corrections, objections) are most wellcome!