Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#3509164 - 02/02/12 02:00 AM Re: Sim Racing, how to start? [Re: K_Cybulski]  
Pumbaa666 Offline
Ze Warthog that is faster then a Cheetah
Pumbaa666  Offline

South Australia
Originally Posted By: K_Cybulski
Hi all. I'm new here and was reading this thread. I am going to try getting into racing some as well. I have an S1 SRW wheel coming tomorrow.

I have played GPL and Papyrus Nascar and an F1 simulation, but this was a long time ago and never online. I'm unsure if I would like Nascar online but I think I'd like F1 and other similar type racing on road courses.

About how long did it take everyone to get "up to speed" where they don't spin out so much and don't crash so much?

I downloaded Raceroom2 and I played that some - it's free. I kind of like it. I'm thinking of trying iRacing as well. I guess I'm just looking for a good group of people who are mature and are also patient with someone who might not be as good as they are at first.

Well for starters you've come to the right place here.... These guys are some of the best and most mature (while still having fun) on the online racing community...

I've been racing here for around 2.5 years and haven't found a better group yet... There's plenty of helpful people here who'll help with lines and getting the most out of yourself, as that is the main thing in everyone's eyes here...

There's plenty of different levels of racing abilities and not everyone has the ability to do perfect laps lap after lap, but some of us find that groove from race to race....

As for getting up to speed, that's different for everyone, as rigs are that varied and the set up of the wheel affects a lot as well, and then there's the driver abilities and driving style to take into account as well...

As far as sims go I can't speak for Iracing, because I don't like paying for a subscription for any game... But with other options out there now is the best time to get into Sim racing online with so many titles in development stages that are open to the public it's a good cheap starting point to get used to things and get up to speed...

"The motivation is high, I enjoy taking the smile off other peoples faces"

Mark Webber
Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

#3509202 - 02/02/12 03:36 AM Re: Sim Racing, how to start? [Re: K_Cybulski]  
mr_hill Offline
mr_hill  Offline

Hi all. I'm new here and was reading this thread. I am going to try getting into racing some as well. I have an S1 SRW wheel coming tomorrow.

I have played GPL and Papyrus Nascar and an F1 simulation, but this was a long time ago and never online. I'm unsure if I would like Nascar online but I think I'd like F1 and other similar type racing on road courses.

About how long did it take everyone to get "up to speed" where they don't spin out so much and don't crash so much?

I downloaded Raceroom2 and I played that some - it's free. I kind of like it. I'm thinking of trying iRacing as well. I guess I'm just looking for a good group of people who are mature and are also patient with someone who might not be as good as they are at first.

Hello and welcome mate! We have a damn good bunch of racers here as Pumbaa has said above, and again you won't meet a more patient bunch of guys around, theres literally guys of all abilities racing with us on rFactor in the SCES Endurance series, and its a great laugh aswell as sort of serious at the same time smile

As usual if you have rfactor, head to the SCES section get the downloads from the downloads thread and head on into the server and jump on teamspeak too! post up a shout aswell as i am usually around and more than happy to jump in a server and help out and help get you to speed smile i'm not the fastest guy around but i can help get you up to some form of speed and get some consistancy going smile

First Ever Win: STCC, Donnington Park, Race 2, 19th March 2012
First Ever Podium: 2nd, Silverstone SCES 2011
First Ever Pole: Race 1, Thruxton, SSTCC, 8th April 2012
First Ever Fastest Lap: Le Mans, SCES, 3:59.028, 3rd June 2012
Wins: 3 (3 SSTCC)
Podiums: 10 (3 SCES, 7 SSTCC)
Pole Positions: 3 (1 SCES, 2 SSTCC)
Fastest Laps: 1 (1 SCES)

3rd Overall SSTCC Great Britain Series, 2012.

Team: Ozjet Racing
Number(s): 26 (SCES) 27 (STCC)
#3509418 - 02/02/12 03:30 PM Re: Sim Racing, how to start? [Re: K_Cybulski]  
stewartforgie Offline
stewartforgie  Offline

Grangemouth. Scotland.

Hi and let me join Pumbaa and Steve in welcoming you to SimHQ. What they were to polite to mention when they were talking about all abilities was the fact that I am probably one of the slowest on course, but at the age of 61 (we did say some of the most mature racers around lol) I dont worry to much about that. Although I am not quite as fast as some of the guys here I have never found that to be an impedement to some great racing. this is trully the best bunch of guys to race against that I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. I would echo Steve's advice and get downloading the SCES downloads and join us online. the best way to learn is to do so see you on track soon.

Cheers,
Stewart.
#3509480 - 02/02/12 04:40 PM Re: Sim Racing, how to start? [Re: Staniol]  
Wrecking Crew Offline
Smooth Operator
Wrecking Crew  Offline
Smooth Operator
Hotshot

Colorado
Hi new racers,
The appeal of rFactor is really with the community of drivers here at SimHQ. rFactor is looking pretty old-time - when was it released - 2006?

Most all of the hosted races have fixed setups for most of the adjustments, so there are just a few dials that are left for you to manage. And the guys and gals here are ready to help.

Looking forward to seeing you on the track - hopefully in my mirrors!

Oh, one thing about rFactor - you may well have to unplug other game controller devices so rFactor can see the wheel and pedals. I cannot have a Warthog plugged in at the same time. I expect rFactor2 will fix that...

Wrecking Crew

crew

"Your ballroom days are over, baby"

Find my DCS World missions at Wrecking Crew Projects. All released missions are free to download, modify and publicly host -- enjoy!
#3509968 - 02/03/12 03:23 AM Re: Sim Racing, how to start? [Re: Staniol]  
K_Cybulski Offline
K_Cybulski  Offline

Hi all. I have my SRW-S1 wheel. I have rFactor. I downloaded ILMS v2.78. In game it says I don't own any cars. Do I need to buy cars? I'm not against it, just not too sure of what to do at this point.

I'm also set up on teamspeak.

Thanks,
Kurt

#3509971 - 02/03/12 03:31 AM Re: Sim Racing, how to start? [Re: Staniol]  
SteveGee Offline
SteveGee  Offline

Planet Earth
Yes, you will need to buy a car...the series has personal cars, so to get started you need to buy one of the "mules"...generic paint scheme.

After you decide what car in which class you want to drive, you can paint a scheme for it or there's a few enterprising painters here that aren't too bad with a virtual spray gun and they're usually happy to paint cars for people.

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it."
"Politicians are like dirty diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason."

Mark Twain

"I do not suffer from insanity. I enjoy every, single minute of it."
#3509975 - 02/03/12 03:41 AM Re: Sim Racing, how to start? [Re: K_Cybulski]  
Pumbaa666 Offline
Pumbaa666  Offline

South Australia
Hi all. I have my SRW-S1 wheel. I have rFactor. I downloaded ILMS v2.78. In game it says I don't own any cars. Do I need to buy cars? I'm not against it, just not too sure of what to do at this point.

I'm also set up on teamspeak.

Thanks,
Kurt

Yeah you'll need to buy cars in the vehicle section of the top tab (can't remember the label) and then you'll be able to load a track... The cars cost in game credits that can only be earned through racing, you cannot buy them with real world money at all... From memory the ILMS mod will take a certain amount of credits to buy the Protos... But someone know the .PLR file cheat, I can't remember it off the top of my head but someone else will be able to remember it...

Mark Webber
#3509986 - 02/03/12 04:09 AM Re: Sim Racing, how to start? [Re: Staniol]  
K_Cybulski Offline
K_Cybulski  Offline

Ok, thanks!! I started out with 2,500,000 credits or so, but I guess that doesn't mean that much. Actually, the Aston Martins are at no cost. I just have to click and buy them. The others have prices.

I am going to have to play around with this wheel and set it up, though, it appears. But, I wasn't thinking about doing any racing immediately. I was planning on practicing a lot.

#3510285 - 02/03/12 03:40 PM Re: Sim Racing, how to start? [Re: Staniol]  
mr_hill Offline
mr_hill  Offline

sadly the Astons wont be usable in game as we are only running LMP2 and GT2,

LMP2 cars eligible: Lola and Dome
GT2 cars eligible: Porsche and Ferrari

Make sure you have downloaded the addon pack with our cars in so you can get in the server to smile plus ingame credits, meh they mean nothing and you dont pay with real money so dont worry about that! smile

When you have downloaded and installed our skin pack etc, load up the game, go to LMP2 or GT2 and buy the car titled as "Mule" in the lola section, Dome section and the Porsche and Ferrari section in GT2, this way you have the base car to compete, IF you want to test out one of my cars feel free to buy the Porsche car titled as Ozjet Racing, as im running the ferrari this race and probably the rest of the season you can run my Porsche if you would like t have something with a design on smile

here is a guide:

1: Download this track: http://simhq.net/downloads/motorsports/rfactor/SimHQ_2012_SCES/VLM_Sebring_rFactor_V100.exe
install it to your rfactor file in the C Drive.

2: make sure you have the mod: http://simhq.net/downloads/motorsports/rfactor/_addons/ILMS_v2.78_PUBLIC.rar

extract and cut and paste to your game folder "rfactor" in the C Drive.

3: Download this RFM file http://simhq.net/downloads/motorsports/rfactor/SimHQ_2011_SCES/downloads/rFm_ILMS.zip
And place this in the RFM file in the game folder in the C Drive

4: download our carset: http://simhq.net/downloads/motorsports/rfactor/SimHQ_2012_SCES/carset5.zip extract it and cut and paste into the game folder in the C Drive.

OPTIONAL IF YOU NEED THEM: (it is advised to put these in just in case)

5: the hydraulic gun fix, if you can hear a constant drill type sound whilst driving download and install this http://simhq.net/downloads/motorsports/rfactor/fans_normal_1.zip

again it is in the game folder somewhere

6: incase of graphical glitches download this tweaked cam setting: http://simhq.net/downloads/motorsports/rfactor/SimHQ_2011_SCES/downloads/TweakedCockpitCams.rar

IMPORTANT: Only our cars are able to be run, aswell as the MULE cars (which are our cars too) so make sure you have the MULES ingame, as i said though you have my permission to run my OZJET RACING PORSCHE smile

Last edited by mr_hill; 02/03/12 03:48 PM.

#3510405 - 02/03/12 05:42 PM Re: Sim Racing, how to start? [Re: Staniol]  
Wrecking Crew Offline
Smooth Operator
Wrecking Crew  Offline
Smooth Operator
Hotshot

Colorado
If you don't have enough money to buy a car, edit your ILMS.cch file - the two lines in red -

here's what is in mine these days -
//[[gMa1.002f (c)2007 ]] [[ ]]
[CAREER]
Experience=2002503787
Money=1774703787

CurSeasIndex=0

On Windows7 my file is here -
C:\Users\(name)\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\rFactor\UserData\Wrecking Crew

WC

"Your ballroom days are over, baby"

Find my DCS World missions at Wrecking Crew Projects. All released missions are free to download, modify and publicly host -- enjoy!
#3510419 - 02/03/12 05:53 PM Re: Sim Racing, how to start? [Re: Staniol]  
mr_hill Offline
mr_hill  Offline

OR select a car and load up just an offline testing day thingy and in the chat box when loaded simply type

ISI_BABYFACTORY click enter and then exit back to the menu and it will inject a shedload of cash wink

#3510776 - 02/04/12 01:36 AM Re: Sim Racing, how to start? [Re: Staniol]  
K_Cybulski Offline
K_Cybulski  Offline

Ok. I have done everything I saw in that list. But, the problem is I do not see the Lolas in game. When I browse in the folder browser in Windows 7, I see the Porsche 997 folder and the MGlola folder under Vehicles/IMLS. But, in game I do not see the vehicles.

Seems like I must have done something wrong.

I did the edit to the file and have plenty of cash and experience now.

#3510797 - 02/04/12 01:53 AM Re: Sim Racing, how to start? [Re: Staniol]  
mr_hill Offline
mr_hill  Offline

hm interesting are you able to take a screenshot in game of what it looks like matey?

#3510802 - 02/04/12 01:58 AM Re: Sim Racing, how to start? [Re: Staniol]  
K_Cybulski Offline
K_Cybulski  Offline

Here is a SS of the car select screen.

#3510807 - 02/04/12 02:07 AM Re: Sim Racing, how to start? [Re: Staniol]  
mr_hill Offline
mr_hill  Offline

hmmm interesting, GT2 cars are also missing, okay try installing the mod again, it might of been caused by the file edit im not sure, i've not had this happen to me personally before, try installing the mod again and add in our car pack again, and instead of editing the file to get the cars select one u can afford go into a "Test" from the middle menu, then type ISI_BABYMAKER into the chat box, exit to menu this will give you loads of money and buy all the cars automatically, see if it works matey

#3510816 - 02/04/12 02:23 AM Re: Sim Racing, how to start? [Re: Staniol]  
K_Cybulski Offline
K_Cybulski  Offline

I'm going to re-download the files, too.

#3510823 - 02/04/12 02:46 AM Re: Sim Racing, how to start? [Re: Staniol]  
mr_hill Offline
mr_hill  Offline

okay matey let me know how it goes and we will try and figure something out if it doesnt work

#3510829 - 02/04/12 02:58 AM Re: Sim Racing, how to start? [Re: Staniol]  
K_Cybulski Offline
K_Cybulski  Offline

I redid it and it it looks exactly the same.

The ILMS mod has a readme that says 5 folders but I only saw 3 folders when I extracted it.

Last edited by K_Cybulski; 02/04/12 02:58 AM.
#3510857 - 02/04/12 04:34 AM Re: Sim Racing, how to start? [Re: Staniol]  
Pumbaa666 Offline
Pumbaa666  Offline

South Australia
That's a very strange fault there... I haven't seen that before....

Are there any other files inside the MGlola or Porsche997 folders like cockpitinfo.ini or any other .ini, .gen, .hdv, .mas, .sfx, .cam, .pm or .tbc?

Here's what it should look like... the folder "ILMS 2012" should read "rFactor" in your install... I use multiple installs because some of the mods add things to the UI and sounds that don't fit with other mods...

If they are there try deleting the folders inside the MGLola, Ferrari430GT, Dome and Porsche997 folders, but leave the files, put in the SCES car pack and see if that cures it...

If the files aren't there then there's a problem that I can't describe, as they should be there unless they get deleted post install or you have had a corrupted download... But you've downloaded it twice now so that shouldn't be the problem...

Mark Webber
#3510862 - 02/04/12 04:46 AM Re: Sim Racing, how to start? [Re: Staniol]  
K_Cybulski Offline
K_Cybulski  Offline

I think we have the culprit. There are no files. Just folders in the subfolder of porsche 997. INSIDE the subfolders are files, but those files labeled "Porsche997.gen" and below are not there. I must have misread the directions - it said delete the folders, but I bet they meant the folders inside the main Porsche Folder and not the Porsche folder itself.

Let me try this once more armed with this knowledge.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.