Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3509766 - 02/02/12 11:17 PM G27 Experts...Have a Question  
SteveGee Offline
SteveGee  Offline

Planet Earth
I just got a G27 from one of our fine iRacing brethern...great condition...but I'm having a problem getting the Profiler to recognize the steering axis. If I test pedals, buttons and switches out in the Profiler, they all respond great...but, there's no steering axis movement whatsoever. I've triple-checked all the connections, wore Google out searching for an answer...even looked for a hidden On/Off switch...nothing.

I uninstalled the Logitech Profiler software I had previously for my MOMO Racing (same version software...just in case) and ran CCleaner and rebooted before installing the Profiler again. It recognizes the wheel fine, shows a G27 and as I said..everything else works fine except the steering axis. If I go into rF, it doens't recognize it there either.

Anyone have any ideas?

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it."
"Politicians are like dirty diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason."

Mark Twain

"I do not suffer from insanity. I enjoy every, single minute of it."
Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

#3509777 - 02/02/12 11:31 PM Re: G27 Experts...Have a Question [Re: SteveGee]  
Darren_Blythe Offline
SimHQ MotorSports Editor
Darren_Blythe  Offline
SimHQ MotorSports Editor

Middlesex, UK
hmmmm. that sounds very odd Steve. Does it go through the initialization (where it automatically rotates) when you first plug it in or reboot?

Any resistance when you turn it? Tried another USB port?

Roses are #FF0000 , Violets are #0000FF
#3509804 - 02/02/12 11:51 PM Re: G27 Experts...Have a Question [Re: SteveGee]  
SteveGee Offline
SteveGee  Offline

Planet Earth
Nope, sure doesn't Darren...I noticed in videos online the wheel would rotate....it's not moved a bit.

There's a little resistance, but I think it's just the motors themselves....I've tried 4 different USB ports, removed power from the wheel and unplugged it from USB for over 30 seconds, plugged it into a new USB port (supposed to reset calibration)...same thing every time.

The display lights work fine, all buttons and pedals work fine and are recognized in rF....everything but the steering axis. I've triple checked the USB cord going into the wheel to make sure it wasn't loose, looks like it's hardwired anyway. Made sure none of the cables were pinches in anyway...everything I can think of.

It is showing up twice in the Device Manager...once as a G27 and once as a G27 (HID)..not sure if that has anything to do with it or not, but I don't think it does. I'm on my 5th uninstall/reinstall currently and the wheel itself has never moved to do that pre-check thing I've seen in videos.

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it."
"Politicians are like dirty diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason."

Mark Twain

#3509808 - 02/02/12 11:55 PM Re: G27 Experts...Have a Question [Re: SteveGee]  
SteveGee Offline
SteveGee  Offline

Planet Earth
I do get this every time I plug it into a new USB port, after removing power and USB for over 30 seconds:

Not sure why it's showing a Driving Force as well, but it doesn't show up in the Device Manager anywhere.

Mark Twain

#3509814 - 02/03/12 12:00 AM Re: G27 Experts...Have a Question [Re: SteveGee]  
LowellJewell Offline
LowellJewell  Offline

Independence, KY
I doubt this is the problem, but just in case.... I'm gonna tell on myself here! We recently moved into our new home and when I finally got around to firing up the computer to go racing, my G27 wasn't acting right. In iRacing, everything worked except steering. Same thing in GTR2 and Dirt3. I tried everything under the sun and when I figured it out, well... I felt really stupid....

I didn't plug the power cord in!

Now, in my own defense, I've only had the thing a few months and this is only the 2nd time I've hooked it up. When plugging everything in, I also didn't notice the hole on the underside of the wheel where the power cord goes. In a dimly lit room, it can be missed!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it....

Skitter Creek Sim Racing - http://skittercreek.com
#3509820 - 02/03/12 12:06 AM Re: G27 Experts...Have a Question [Re: SteveGee]  
Darren_Blythe Offline
SimHQ MotorSports Editor
Darren_Blythe  Offline
SimHQ MotorSports Editor

Middlesex, UK
Hmmm, the driving force entry is interesting. Have you set the device manager to show hidden devices?

Could be a driver conflict but the wheel should initialize (like you saw in the vids) when you start the PC. If it's not even doing that it sounds like it's power related, maybe a faulty PSU or wheel. Let's hope not frown

#3509827 - 02/03/12 12:12 AM Re: G27 Experts...Have a Question [Re: SteveGee]  
Pumbaa666 Offline
Ze Warthog that is faster then a Cheetah
Pumbaa666  Offline

South Australia
I had a similar problem when I first connected mine... This numbskull didn't plug in the power into the wall lol...

Check the power connection, and if you have one for your other wheel try that out to see if it's the power cord that is causing issues...

Other then that I'm out of ideas...

"The motivation is high, I enjoy taking the smile off other peoples faces"

Mark Webber
#3509840 - 02/03/12 12:23 AM Re: G27 Experts...Have a Question [Re: SteveGee]  
SteveGee Offline
SteveGee  Offline

Planet Earth
Hidden Devices is checked in the Device Manager, nothing but the 2 G27 entries shows up.

The wheel's getting power...the display works and flashes when I calibrate the pedals in the Profiler, all buttons are recognized...the pedals and shifter units all work great, it's just there's no test spin like Darren mentioned and I've seen in videos and there's no recognition of the steering axis in either the Profiler or any game.

I've got my old MOMO Racing power unit, but I don't know that it would make a difference and I'd hate to mess something up even further.

dizzy

Mark Twain

#3509850 - 02/03/12 12:28 AM Re: G27 Experts...Have a Question [Re: SteveGee]  
SteveGee Offline
SteveGee  Offline

Planet Earth
Okay, I guess the 6th install was the charm....wheel spun likes it's supposed to, steering axis tests fine in the Profiler. I'll be damned if I know what caused it, but it's gone....guess my "Evil spirits, get out!" chant worked... biggrin

Next question...what's a good rotation axis to start playing with, say for F1 cars?

Mark Twain

#3509857 - 02/03/12 12:35 AM Re: G27 Experts...Have a Question [Re: SteveGee]  
Darren_Blythe Offline
SimHQ MotorSports Editor
Darren_Blythe  Offline
SimHQ MotorSports Editor

Middlesex, UK
Awesome. Well what ever it was, thank god it's fixed lol.

I have my lock set at 270. It's pretty low compared to a lot of folk but it's nice and responsive and it means i don't tie my arms in knots lol.

A good test is to set the rotation so it just feels comfortable for you going round la-source at Spa (modern version). There aren't too many hairpins tighter than that so it gives you a good starting point.

#3509877 - 02/03/12 12:51 AM Re: G27 Experts...Have a Question [Re: SteveGee]  
SteveGee Offline
SteveGee  Offline

Planet Earth
O

M

G

!

I'm stunned....I knew that having a decent wheel and pedal set could make a difference, but.....wow! In 10 quick test laps in F1'85, I found out that I can decrease my braking points by damn near a third and was within a tenth of a second of my fastest lap during testing on lap 9. biggrin

I will have to re-learn how to drive everything I imagine, as I'd set my cars up to work the best with that old MOMO Racing.

I'll try 270, Darren...thanks. I set it to 320 initially and that's still just a bit much for the '85 cars...I like for my wheel to mimick the on-screen one, so I'm going to lower it for that Profiler profile.

I'm just stunned...still. Time for the happy dancing banana, for sure.

bananadance

Mark Twain

#3509899 - 02/03/12 01:20 AM Re: G27 Experts...Have a Question [Re: SteveGee]  
Darren_Blythe Offline
SimHQ MotorSports Editor
Darren_Blythe  Offline
SimHQ MotorSports Editor

Middlesex, UK
+1!!
bananadance bananadance bananadance bananadance bananadance bananadance bananadance
bananadance bananadance bananadance bananadance bananadance bananadance bananadance

#3509916 - 02/03/12 01:42 AM Re: G27 Experts...Have a Question [Re: SteveGee]  
Pumbaa666 Offline
Pumbaa666  Offline

South Australia
that's a very strange one indeed... But welcome to the 27 club band

"The motivation is high, I enjoy taking the smile off other peoples faces"

Mark Webber
#3509920 - 02/03/12 01:47 AM Re: G27 Experts...Have a Question [Re: SteveGee]  
SteveGee Offline
SteveGee  Offline

Planet Earth
It is a bit different than a 2-pedal set, for sure...and, old habits die hard.

Left the pits at Monza...clutched it a bit to get going and heat the rears up, ran through the gears as I exited the pits and headed into the first part of Variante del Rettifilo...geared down, pushed down on the brake and got NOTHING! Ran straight through the sand to the start of Curva Grande.

Seems clutching the engine at 250KPH won't slow you down a bit.... eek

Mark Twain

#3511172 - 02/04/12 05:49 PM Re: G27 Experts...Have a Question [Re: SteveGee]  
Chunx Offline
Chunx  Offline

Glad it's all worked out, Steve. FWIW, I also use rotation settings between 270 and 300.

Chunx
#3511179 - 02/04/12 06:01 PM Re: G27 Experts...Have a Question [Re: SteveGee]  
SteveGee Offline
SteveGee  Offline

Planet Earth
Thanks, Chunx....I'm trying 300 initially. Seems to be a good feel for the F1 '85's so far.

Gonna be tweaking RealFeel for quite a while it looks like, there's really a big difference in the FFB compared to that old MOMO. The "mush" in the center takes some getting used to, but it's not too bad....just gotta figure out which RealFeel setting can tighten that up. I know there's a deadspot in the G25/27's because over motor overlap, but with RealFeel it's more pronounced it seems.

The pedals are by far the biggest improvement.....more control, little later braking and smoother throttle roll-on. Plus, when I do something stupid...which happens a lot...I can burn the tires off in burnouts using the clutch to feather the throttle... biggrin

Mark Twain

#3518078 - 02/14/12 01:06 AM Re: G27 Experts...Have a Question [Re: SteveGee]  
K_Cybulski Offline
K_Cybulski  Offline

I just got mine! I'm very psyched. But, I need some time to set it up.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.