Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3506410 - 01/29/12 05:10 PM selecting radio presets in BMS  
CaptCanada Offline
CaptCanada  Offline

Cold Lake Alberta Canada
Hi all

I have been a long time F4/F4AF fan and have recently gotten into the BMS version.

I am having trouble selecting a radio preset. I have set preset 15 to the tower freq using the Data Cartridge button on the map. I can select the presets via the UFC, but having trouble figuring out how set my desired preset to be the "active" one?

I can enter the preset freq displayed on the DED into the UHF main channel, but there must be a way to select a preset as the channel I want to communicate on.

Sorry if this has been addressed before

Don

Intel I5 2500K
Asus P8P67Pro mobo
MSI GTX680 Twin Frozr
12G DDR3 1600
Thermaltake 750watt power supply
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
Creative X-FI Extreme Audio
Logitech 540 Speakers
Saitek X52 HOTAS,Flight Yoke system

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3506426 - 01/29/12 05:30 PM Re: selecting radio presets in BMS [Re: CaptCanada]  
theOden Offline
theOden  Offline

Should be as "simple" as to check the "Default" box when selecting preset 15 in the cartridge.
Personally I set both #0 and #15 to tower.

#3506469 - 01/29/12 06:32 PM Re: selecting radio presets in BMS [Re: CaptCanada]  
NoCarrier Offline
NoCarrier  Offline

Originally Posted By: CaptCanada
I can enter the preset freq displayed on the DED into the UHF main channel, but there must be a way to select a preset as the channel I want to communicate on.

This is done through the COMM switch on the HOTAS–hold COMM UP (or ALT-1 on the keyboard) to transmit on the VHF radio, and hold COMM-DOWN (or ALT-2 on the keyboard) to transmit on the UHF radio. Note that you only have to do this in multiplayer, if you want to communicate with other players through the IVC Client. Otherwise you can just tune to the proper frequency (say, 292.30 on Uniform for Kunsan tower) and use the old radio menus (e.g., T for the ATC menu).

#3506520 - 01/29/12 07:44 PM Re: selecting radio presets in BMS [Re: CaptCanada]  
CaptCanada Offline
CaptCanada  Offline

Cold Lake Alberta Canada
Thanks, but I am still not clear on this.

In the ramp start mission, I have the preset 15 set to tower freq but the "active" freq shows to be something else. So, how do I make preset channel 15 the one I want to use so that I can talk to the tower for taxi permission?

Thanks

Intel I5 2500K
Asus P8P67Pro mobo
MSI GTX680 Twin Frozr
12G DDR3 1600
Logitech 540 Speakers

#3506555 - 01/29/12 08:25 PM Re: selecting radio presets in BMS [Re: CaptCanada]  
NoCarrier Offline
NoCarrier  Offline

You cannot control the UHF radio through the UHF panel on the left console unless the CNI knob on the AUX COMM panel is set to Back Up. When this knob is set to UFC as it normally is, the radios are controlled through the UFC (Up Front Controls)—the ICP (Integrated Control Panel, under the HUD) and the DED (Data Entry Display) to the right of it. Watch what the DED says; that is what your radios are tuned to. The DED may say, for example, "UHF 297.50" and "VHF 13". This means your UHF radio is tuned to 297.50 Mhz, and your VHF radio to pre-set channel 13.

Push the COM buttons on the ICP (Integrated Control Panel, below the HUD). This will allow you to switch to either a specific frequency or a preset channel. To tune to Kunsan tower, for example, push 29230 on the ICP and then the ENTR key. To tune to channel 12, whatever frequency that may be on either the UHF or VHF radio, push 12 and then ENTR.

I hope this is clear to you now, but I'll gladly answer more questions if you have them.

Also, I should point out that the channel knob on the UHF panel is bugged in BMS 4.32. When you switch the CNI knob from Back-Up to UFC, that channel knob will stop functioning no matter what setting on the CNI knob. Needless to say, the BMS devs are aware of this issue.

EDIT: After re-reading your first post, I see you're already working through the UFC. The above is still valid, though. Push the COM1 button, enter 15 on the ICP, hit ENTR and there you go, you're tuned to Uniform 15.

Last edited by NoCarrier; 01/29/12 08:37 PM.
#3506577 - 01/29/12 09:01 PM Re: selecting radio presets in BMS [Re: NoCarrier]  
CaptCanada Offline
CaptCanada  Offline

Cold Lake Alberta Canada
Originally Posted By: NoCarrier

You cannot control the UHF radio through the UHF panel on the left console unless the CNI knob on the AUX COMM panel is set to Back Up. When this knob is set to UFC as it normally is, the radios are controlled through the UFC (Up Front Controls)—the ICP (Integrated Control Panel, under the HUD) and the DED (Data Entry Display) to the right of it. Watch what the DED says; that is what your radios are tuned to. The DED may say, for example, "UHF 297.50" and "VHF 13". This means your UHF radio is tuned to 297.50 Mhz, and your VHF radio to pre-set channel 13.

Push the COM buttons on the ICP (Integrated Control Panel, below the HUD). This will allow you to switch to either a specific frequency or a preset channel. To tune to Kunsan tower, for example, push 29230 on the ICP and then the ENTR key. To tune to channel 12, whatever frequency that may be on either the UHF or VHF radio, push 12 and then ENTR.

I hope this is clear to you now, but I'll gladly answer more questions if you have them.

Also, I should point out that the channel knob on the UHF panel is bugged in BMS 4.32. When you switch the CNI knob from Back-Up to UFC, that channel knob will stop functioning no matter what setting on the CNI knob. Needless to say, the BMS devs are aware of this issue.

EDIT: After re-reading your first post, I see you're already working through the UFC. The above is still valid, though. Push the COM1 button, enter 15 on the ICP, hit ENTR and there you go, you're tuned to Uniform 15.

thanks for the help. I never thought of entering the preset number using the ICP. It makes sense now. I did understand that the DED just displayed what the radios were tuned to.

The manual states that the freq select knobs on the UHF control are not implemented at this time. What if I wanted to use the UHF control to select a freq?

I am sure that this was implemented in F4AF?

Thanks again!

Intel I5 2500K
Asus P8P67Pro mobo
MSI GTX680 Twin Frozr
12G DDR3 1600
Logitech 540 Speakers

#3506601 - 01/29/12 09:22 PM Re: selecting radio presets in BMS [Re: CaptCanada]  
NoCarrier Offline
NoCarrier  Offline

The manual states that the freq select knobs on the UHF control are not implemented at this time. What if I wanted to use the UHF control to select a freq?

Then you're out of luck, I guess. Like I wrote earlier, only the channel knob on the UHF panel works, and then only when the CNI knob is still set to Back-Up mode (i.e., when you start a mission on the ramp). As it is now, the radios can only be controlled through the UFC.

Yeah, I don't remember whether or not the UHF panel was fully implemented in AF. I'll just have to take your word for it. I do remember one didn't need to fiddle with the radios nearly as much in AF, and that comms "automagically" worked every time.

#3506814 - 01/30/12 02:47 AM Re: selecting radio presets in BMS [Re: CaptCanada]  
WynnTTr Offline
WynnTTr  Offline

IIRC, I don't think your DTC settings applies to the training TE's. It's a obscure memory so may well be wrong.

#3506906 - 01/30/12 07:50 AM Re: selecting radio presets in BMS [Re: CaptCanada]  
Kosmo. Offline
Kosmo.  Offline

Greece
There were no radio freqs of any kind implemented in AF. Only a sort of filter of what you could hear, selected via the UFC presets (only thing that was changeable), but still even that had little relation to how it works in BMS.

About the BUP UHF controls in BMS, the preset rotary selector should be working correctly in the next patch IIRC. The manual freq entry knobs I think are on the list to do at some point, but pretty low down.

#3507050 - 01/30/12 03:10 PM Re: selecting radio presets in BMS [Re: CaptCanada]  
Staniol Offline
Staniol  Offline

Hungary

thanks for the help. I never thought of entering the preset number using the ICP. It makes sense now. I did understand that the DED just displayed what the radios were tuned to.

Thanks again!

Sorry to interrupt, just wanted to say, that these type of conversations makes me running back to Rise of Flight ...:)
...and this is just the radio!
I would be more than happy to dig into BMS, I just do not have the time anymore. Maybe after retirement? smile

Freedom of speech is our birth right, but the privilege of being heard needs to be gained.
#3509661 - 02/02/12 08:21 PM Re: selecting radio presets in BMS [Re: Staniol]  
LeadTurn_SD Offline
LeadTurn_SD  Offline

Hilo, Hawaii USA
Originally Posted By: Staniol

Thanks again!

Sorry to interrupt, just wanted to say, that these type of conversations makes me running back to Rise of Flight ...:)
...and this is just the radio!
I would be more than happy to dig into BMS, I just do not have the time anymore. Maybe after retirement? smile

Lol.

But wait, didn't you know that the next ROF update will include radios in the two seaters, and the observer will need to manually align the loop antenna to get reception, while the pilot has to be head-down in the cockpit, spinning the frequency dial and changing out vacuum tubes???!!

The horror!

wink

Best wishes.

LeadTurn_SD
XO VMF-132 Shadow Demons
Specs: CPU: Intel i5 760 MEM: 8Gb, Video: AMD HD 6850, OS: Win 7 64 bit

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.