Forums » Air Combat & Civil Aviation » DCS World » DCS: Black Shark » Need some flying/maneuver help. Active Topics You are not logged in. [Log In] [Register User]
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#3509407 - 02/02/12 10:14 AM Need some flying/maneuver help.
El-Producto Offline

I'm getting fairly proficient with the weapons systems.. but goddamit, I can not fly this thing worth a damn.

I'm having a ton of trouble setting up in a nice stable hover, so that I can actually deploy the weapons. It seems like I try and get setup to scan for targets and shoot, but I'm constantly fighting the bird to stay put. I watch some videos on youtube, and some of the training missions and the bird is in a basically perfect hover.

Any tips on hovering, and also evasive maneuvers?

#3509413 - 02/02/12 10:24 AM Re: Need some flying/maneuver help. [Re: El-Producto]
Nate Online   content

Loc: Dublin, Ireland
Have read of this - unless you understand the Autopilot/stabilisation system, you are going to have a hard time in the Shark.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=36246&highlight=autopilot

Nate

#3509417 - 02/02/12 10:28 AM Re: Need some flying/maneuver help. [Re: El-Producto]
GrayGhost Offline
Hotshot

Operating the systems is fairly easy. The first thing any pilot is drilled in for months is how to fly the aircraft. No weapons, no funny stuff - so focus strictly on flying for a little while. Forget weapons, forget targets - just free flight and fly around the airfield making the aircraft do what you want it to do.

Like Nate pointed out, you might just be running into AP interactions and you're fighting them - check up on that first. A video or track of your troubles would be useful.

Originally Posted By: El-Producto
I'm getting fairly proficient with the weapons systems.. but goddamit, I can not fly this thing worth a damn.

I'm having a ton of trouble setting up in a nice stable hover, so that I can actually deploy the weapons. It seems like I try and get setup to scan for targets and shoot, but I'm constantly fighting the bird to stay put. I watch some videos on youtube, and some of the training missions and the bird is in a basically perfect hover.

Any tips on hovering, and also evasive maneuvers?

#3515245 - 02/09/12 04:19 PM Re: Need some flying/maneuver help. [Re: El-Producto]
utopic Offline

Loc: Brasov
Hello.

If you're using realistic flight model (not simplified) AND not using the trim control, then I think that's the problem.

Read through this: http://www.simhq.com/_air13/air_428a.html reading

Edited by utopic (02/09/12 04:20 PM)
Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB
EVGA GTX295
8 GB DDR
Creative XFI Platinum
Enermax Revolution 85 1050W
NEC 2690WUXi
Saitek x52Pro + Saitek ProFlight Rudders
TrackIR5
Windowx 7 SP1 x64

#3515403 - 02/09/12 09:30 PM Re: Need some flying/maneuver help. [Re: utopic]
Nate Online   content

Originally Posted By: utopic
Hello.

If you're using realistic flight model (not simplified) AND not using the trim control, then I think that's the problem.

Read through this: http://www.simhq.com/_air13/air_428a.html reading

That's a good guide - I 'll try to remember that for future reference, thanks.

Nate

#3515664 - 02/10/12 10:07 AM Re: Need some flying/maneuver help. [Re: El-Producto]
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Loc: Space Coast, USA
I'll second that using the avionics in this thing is far easier than flying it. After an hour you can learn all you need to know to attack and kill targets using the gun, rockets, and Vikhrs. It takes a lot longer than that to fly the thing with confidence. At 100 hrs I think I've just about got it down. smile

On the flipside, I can fly the A-10C with confidence after just a few hours, but using those systems is another matter. I've got a 50% success rate only with LGBs, and Mavericks are better but still boil down to "one per pass". A far cry from my rippling Vikhrs down a column of armor...

The Jedi Master

#3515774 - 02/10/12 12:21 PM Re: Need some flying/maneuver help. [Re: El-Producto]
Jacobs Offline

Loc: Brasil
I find it dificult too to fly the shark, specialy while landing.

I'm in doubt about the proper way to trim. It seems to exist two aways.

1 -> change pitch and/or roll, press trim button and center cyclic.
2 -> press trim button and keep it pressed, change pitch and/or roll, release trim button, center cyclic.

Which one is the proper way?

#3516205 - 02/10/12 10:18 PM Re: Need some flying/maneuver help. [Re: El-Producto]
Nate Online   content

As far as I'm concerned everybody should fly with the Flight Director on. I know this is heresy to the purists, but is it is so much more enjoyable to trim and fly with the FD ON..

Nate

#3516245 - 02/11/12 12:39 AM Re: Need some flying/maneuver help. [Re: El-Producto]
EinsteinEP Offline
Former SimHQ Moderator

Loc: Tucson, AZ
@NATE, HOW DARE YOU EVEN SUGGEST THAT... ... <ahem>

@Jacobs, as Nate insinuated in his post, you're probably going to get a bunch of different answers from different perspectives.

<My $0.02USD>Whatever works for you, works for you. Deep, right? Personally, I fly with FLIGHT DIRECTOR OFF <harumph> and press and hold the Trimmer button before and during any attitude changes. I also press and hold the collective brake when making collective changes. That said, if you're learning to fly this bad boy, I strongly recommend learning to fly with Flight Director ON. I even promise not to completely shun you if you decide to fly with it on all the time. Many folks do and for good reason.

In the series of well-written <ahem> articles linked above, I describe how the autopilot can appear to be constantly fighting the pilot but only because the pilot is constantly fighting the autopilot. The Flight Director mode removes all the control inputs from the autopilot so the only thing the pilot is fighting is the Trimmer.

Learn the Trimmer.
Love the Trimmer.
Become one with the Trimmer.

Only then can you appreciate what the autopilot is trying to do in the background and only then can you flight with it, instead of against it.</My $0.02USD>

#3517318 - 02/12/12 07:08 PM Re: Need some flying/maneuver help. [Re: El-Producto]
Jacobs Offline

Loc: Brasil
Tks Einstein, I'm corrently trying to learn flying with FD of, also I and find it easy to keep trimmer pressed while manouver (just as you said).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:

Moderator:  EinsteinEP, Panther, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Sneeze Reaction - Adorable!
by Robbster
33 minutes 35 seconds ago
F-117A Nighthawk Stealth Fighter 2.0 / Fleet Defender: The F-14 Tomcat Simulation on Steam
by Bib4Tuna
Today at 04:43 PM
Icewind Dale EE out now for PC...
by Magnum
Today at 01:50 PM
Steam Halloween Sale
by Bib4Tuna
Today at 01:06 PM
The picture of a cyberthief.
by Desert Eagle
Today at 09:49 AM
Russian bombers intercepted off the coast of Portugal
by Desert Eagle
Today at 07:06 AM
Is this the beginning of a bad disaster movie?
by Security_Device_Enclosed
Today at 06:43 AM
No one yet...?
by malibu43
Today at 01:44 AM
The next Terminator- Yawn.
by Ajay
Today at 12:43 AM
The Ascent Of Man - Which Evolutionary Sequence is the Correct One
by Haggart
Yesterday at 11:34 PM

Forum Use Agreement | Privacy Statement
Copyright 1997-2014, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.