Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#3508297 - 01/31/12 11:13 PM Re: WIP Video for my new Space-Sim ** [Re: Crisis]  
Crisis Offline
Crisis  Offline

First, I can't tell you all how encouraged I am by the responses here (especially considering the placeholder art and crappy commentary on the WIP vid smile ). All the kind words and ideas are REALLY appreciated--thanks smile

I've also had a couple offers for volunteer help, which is just amazing. At the moment I am not concerned at all about art (other than brainstorming about looks, style and presentation). However, while I'm an artist by profession (Lead Environment Artist for ISI [rFactor2]-and no, this is NOT an ISI product in any way) I KNOW there will be more art to do than one person can handle (but I'll do it anyway wink ). So when the time comes I'll definitely be considering help. However, I tell you up front that I can NOT offer anyone one dime right now as I have nothing for development. ISI is my day job and supports my family. smile All I really have right now is as much time as I can find in the evening and a family who is very supportive...

I have no idea how Rogue Space will perform financially, so even a "percentage of sales" could amount to near $0.00. I just wouldn't want anyone working under false pretenses. That said, the voluntary offers of help have humbled me smile

I'm happy to say that one area I was REALLY concerned about is no longer an issue. For a truly cinematic-like experience (remember, this isn't JUST about "DCS in space" [although an excellent goal on its own], but also an effort to try and present a compelling story to the player, ala Wing Commander for the modern simmer) you HAVE to have great sound and music. So, I'm thrilled to say that Gopher (aka Kevin Chow) has most graciously offered his services. You can have a listen to some of his work here: http://soundcloud.com/de_gopher/tracks?page=1

He's an amazing musician and no doubt will give Rogue Space depth and sole well beyond my wildest dreams. If even half the ideas we have come to fruition RS will be quite the auditory experience...

From a gameplay standpoint, I'm currently working on some preliminary damage modeling, and I have to say what I have working already just floors me. It should be quite a challenge when you come on the receiving end of enemy fire.

Cheers

Last edited by Crisis; 01/31/12 11:35 PM.

----------------------------
There is no spoon...
Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

#3508369 - 02/01/12 01:11 AM Re: WIP Video for my new Space-Sim [Re: Crisis]  
kestrel79 Offline
kestrel79  Offline

Wisconsin, USA
Looks great! X-Wing and Tie Fighter were two of my favorite sims. I also played some Wing Commander games that were ported onto Super Nintendo.

One thing I wish I could always do while playing X-Wing was proper takeoff. Start inside the ship, flick all the switches on and take off, leave the ship and then go on my mission. Will something like this be possible?

And my other wish which I think was already asked is to from a planet take off and keep going up and eventually leave the planet and go into space and vice versa. I always wanted a space sim that did that.

I'm really looking forward to this keep up the great work and keep us posted on updates!

Intel i5 2500k // Asus P8P67 // 16GB G.Skill RAM // RX480 8GB // 27" monitor // VKB Black Mamba Mk.III // Warthog Throttle // TFRP Pedals // W7
#3509038 - 02/01/12 10:59 PM Re: WIP Video for my new Space-Sim [Re: kestrel79]  
THX-1138 Offline
Tyrell Corporation
THX-1138  Offline
Tyrell Corporation

Miami, Florida - United States...
Crisis,

Since we are in the "dream" (a.k.a. development) stage of your space sim/game is it possible for you to use, integrate or simulate what is done with SpaceEngine (http://en.spaceengine.org/)? I know that this may be a far of request but if done your game will excel where others have failed to reach. Also, although a bit premature to ask, what DRM will you think of using if any? I am personally against draconian DRM but I do understand your right to secure your work. Keep up the great work!

Here is a video of what SpaceEngine is capable:

Domestic Robotics - www.DomesRO.com

#3509084 - 02/01/12 11:56 PM Re: WIP Video for my new Space-Sim [Re: Crisis]  
Crisis Offline
Crisis  Offline

I LOVE what they're doing in SpaceEngine. The only MAJOR feature it currently does that I don't is planetfalls. Again, while a cool feature and something I want to add later, it is not a requirement for the core game as it's planned now. What I CAN do now is make my star systems look good. The milestone after the one I'm currently working on is set aside for stellar art, so hopefully in a couple months I'll have something much prettier to look at smile

DRM--I'm not a huge fan myself. I have a couple options but I haven't really decided how to approach it yet. I'm open to suggestions at this point--willing to hear different ideas. What jumps to the top of the list is Steam (or a similar system) simply because of the audience it reaches. But again, I'm not set on anything right now. I have a while to think about it still smile

Last edited by Crisis; 02/01/12 11:57 PM.

There is no spoon...
#3509323 - 02/02/12 01:07 PM Re: WIP Video for my new Space-Sim [Re: Crisis]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Well, frankly there are no real "cheap" DRM options. That's why a lot of the indie devs simply use none. I don't know what the one rFactor uses costs, but it's not terribly bad. Same with the one ED uses for DCS.
Of course Steam I believe takes 40% of your gross sales (don't quote me, I've only heard it second-hand), so if you go that route hopefully it will more than double your sales to make it worthwhile.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#3509381 - 02/02/12 02:40 PM Re: WIP Video for my new Space-Sim [Re: Crisis]  
Crisis Offline
Crisis  Offline

Yeah, for an indie dev Steam isn't the most financially feasible solution for sure--the saving grace is the shear number of Steam users you have access to. But there's no guarantee you'll reach enough of them. Going without is community-friendly but is just as risky financially if you want to continue development on a full time basis. Lots of pro's and con's all the way around... We'll figure it out smile

Last edited by Crisis; 02/02/12 02:45 PM.

There is no spoon...
#3515608 - 02/10/12 01:23 PM Re: WIP Video for my new Space-Sim [Re: Crisis]  
Magic Man Offline
Magic Man  Offline

South Wales
Count me in as another very interested in this.

I've always wanted a space combat technical sim. Also a fan of I-War as others have noted.

For me, plus points would be...
full technical systems. I.e. full startup sequence like in DCS, proper navigation functionality, proper systems management and monitoring.

I note you are supporting TrackIR, which is great. Haven't checked the video yet but a static hud in addition to a simulated helmet mounted display would be great, i.e. the hmd moves with you trackir view for tracking, targetting etc.

Would be great if the engine correctly supports defineable field of view and resolution. E.g. for Eyefinity style mutli-screen views.

User definable viewports would also be great with support for multiple display outputs like in FSX so that screens could be dedicated to system displays etc. (for pit builders).

Multi input support please. If I have rudder pedals, throttles, sticks and other devices available, please allow them to be used as desired and fully configurable by me, again like FSX.

Cheers! good luck!

#3522986 - 02/20/12 10:05 PM Re: WIP Video for my new Space-Sim [Re: Crisis]  
magicalflyer Offline
magicalflyer  Offline

Indonesia
I always wonder why of all the space games I played, I was only allowed to approach the landing/docking spot before the game took over the controls. Can you make us land/dock our spaceships manually in your new game?

"It ebbs and flows, shipmate. A hot woman and a cold beer will put all this in proper perspective."
#3523203 - 02/21/12 06:10 AM Re: WIP Video for my new Space-Sim [Re: magicalflyer]  
kestrel79 Offline
kestrel79  Offline

Wisconsin, USA
Originally Posted By: magicalflyer
I always wonder why of all the space games I played, I was only allowed to approach the landing/docking spot before the game took over the controls. Can you make us land/dock our spaceships manually in your new game?

YES! Me too! I always didn't like that.

I was the nerd when playing X-Wing or Tie Fighter I wanted to actually program the jumps to lightspeed, start up the engines and take off out of Home One in my X-Wing, or land on a space station or planet after coming down through the atmosphere.

If any of this will be possible in your new sim sign me up I'll buy it smile

Intel i5 2500k // Asus P8P67 // 16GB G.Skill RAM // RX480 8GB // 27" monitor // VKB Black Mamba Mk.III // Warthog Throttle // TFRP Pedals // W7
#3524872 - 02/23/12 06:57 PM Re: WIP Video for my new Space-Sim [Re: Crisis]  
Crisis Offline
Crisis  Offline

Yes, you'll be able to take-off and land your ship. The idea is to be able to walk up to your fighter, get in, start the engines and other systems, take off and do your mission, return and land and then walk to your debriefing, etc.

I'm about two weeks away from finishing up milestone 5, and then I'll put out a new video. I just got the basic missile system working, we now have the sound engine integrated (irrKlang) and Kevin is doing a lot of nice preliminary sounds, shields now functionally work on fighters, Lead-Computed sighting is in with basic HUD symbology--LOTS of stuff going in right now.

I'll make a fresh post here when the new WIP video is up. By that time I should also have some hosted webspace and perhaps a basic forum working as well.

Also, TrackIR WILL be supported. All the arrangements have been made with NaturalPoint--I just need to get the system integrated as soon as time allows...

LOTS of cool stuff going on. Rogue Space has taken on a life of it's own, and I'm kind of rushing around to keep up smile The interest and support has really surprised me, and I think that's a positive sign not only for RS, but for the genre in general....

Last edited by Crisis; 02/23/12 07:46 PM.

There is no spoon...
#3524943 - 02/23/12 09:24 PM Re: WIP Video for my new Space-Sim [Re: Crisis]  
magicalflyer Offline
magicalflyer  Offline

Indonesia
Really? Wow, that's cool! Can't wait to see the day this sim hits the market. Thank you, Crisis. Take your time, we know how hard is it to develop a sim.

"It ebbs and flows, shipmate. A hot woman and a cold beer will put all this in proper perspective."
#3524958 - 02/23/12 09:53 PM Re: WIP Video for my new Space-Sim [Re: Crisis]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

If it lets you command capital ships then I will definitely buy it when it comes out.

The whole fighter jets in space thing does not fly so well with me... it is not very realistic except to shuttle people to and from larger ships.

#3524970 - 02/23/12 10:16 PM Re: WIP Video for my new Space-Sim [Re: Crisis]  
Moses Offline
I have a Rather Large
Moses  Offline
I have a Rather Large

Tulsa, Ok, USA
OMG Its HIMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Jeff "Moses" Malone
Proud Member of 195th Dambusters Virtual Squadron.
http://561stbms.enjin.com/
#3525053 - 02/24/12 01:11 AM Re: WIP Video for my new Space-Sim [Re: Crisis]  
Wedge Offline
Wedge  Offline

I'm in.

#3525079 - 02/24/12 02:09 AM Re: WIP Video for my new Space-Sim [Re: Crisis]  
THX-1138 Offline
Tyrell Corporation
THX-1138  Offline
Tyrell Corporation

Miami, Florida - United States...
Originally Posted By: Crisis
DRM--I'm not a huge fan myself. I have a couple options but I haven't really decided how to approach it yet. I'm open to suggestions at this point--willing to hear different ideas. What jumps to the top of the list is Steam (or a similar system) simply because of the audience it reaches. But again, I'm not set on anything right now. I have a while to think about it still smile

Hello Crisis,

Please make an option for those "few" whom do not wish to use Steam; something like registering online to get an authenticated serial number or certificate to play the game. I am really looking forward to your great work, keep it up!

Domestic Robotics - www.DomesRO.com

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.