Forums » Air Combat & Civil Aviation » IL-2: Cliffs of Dover » IL-2: Cliffs of Dover - Extended Discussions » Ot, maybe, sorta: Most immersive sim/game you have played and why. Active Topics You are not logged in. [Log In] [Register User]
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#3499870 - 01/20/12 08:34 PM Re: Ot, maybe, sorta: Most immersive sim/game you have played and why. [Re: Ajay]
godzilla1985 Offline

Loc: Pa
I would also add B-17 and B-17 II TM8th, Tornado, Slient Hunter 1-4, Task Force 1942, EF 2000 and probably many more I just don't remember. While I greatly appreciate the amazing advancements that have been made in the simulation genre (stuff that we could only dream about being in a sim 25-30 years ago), I feel these technical advancements in FM/DM GFX and complex systems would have happened anyway, nothing stays static especially in electronics or the products that derive from them. But an aspect of simulations has been for the most part traded off along the way for another in this progression. The aspect I'm refering to is a outstanding SP experiance. If you noticed most of the games I listed and many others either didn't have MP or had some form of very limited MP capability (with an exception of a few). I think that because internet access has gone from something that years ago many didn't understand except the geekiest of geeks and honestly just wasn't available in most places to today where it is just about available everywhere in the world. From kids to grandparent, almost everyone is on or uses the internet daily, I think it has become a second nature, like electricity, mobile phones or cable/satilite TV. So what I feel happened was simulator developers decided to make a switch because of the advancements in internet technology. Products that use to focus on a strong SP experiance to entertain were moved aside for products with a strong MP experiance to entertain. The reasoning (right or wrong) was probably that before the internet you could only play these games by yourself, so if a game developers wanted to sell thier products (and future products) they needed the customer to feel immersed in that product. But now you can play your games with just about anyone with a good connection, the game developers came to the conclusion that no one would you want to keep playing games in SP now that MP has come of age. While a nice theory thay forgot most people do not like being told how they should play thier games and many times most just want to excape for a little while from actual human interaction.

I would love these companies to offer products that were robust in all aspects (Technical models, MP and SP) but could a company really offer that kind of product for under $60.00? Unfortunally I don't think it can be done, maybe at $100.00 but how well would it sell? Most people get a little hedgy about buying a piece of game software when the $100.00 price tag range is approached and of course would someone who is really only interested in MP or SP really want to pay extra for an certain aspect of a game that doen't appeal to them?

#3499891 - 01/20/12 09:06 PM Re: Ot, maybe, sorta: Most immersive sim/game you have played and why. [Re: Ajay]
Pooch Offline

Loc: Keller, TX
The first game that came to mind for me, strangely enough, wasn't even a war game. It was Bioshock. My God, I was drawn into that world. I couldn't wait for my chance to get back to it, every day. A masterpiece, really.
Falcon 4.0 is an example of a flight sim that does this. It creates a realistic, living world and draws you into it.
And to be honest, with all of it's flaws, and there are a bunch, Cliffs Of Dover is probably the closest I've ever felt to actually sitting in a WW2 fighter. The noise, the vibration, the need to keep an eye on your engine, feels very real. The airplane feels alive. I flew IL2 since it came out, so I'm not putting that sime down when I say that those airplanes never felt like that.
"From our orbital vantage point, we observe an earth without borders, full of peace, beauty and magnificence, and we pray that humanity as a whole can imagine a borderless world as we see it, and strive to live as one in peace."
Astronaut William C. McCool RIP, January 29, 2003 - Space Shuttle Columbia

#3499955 - 01/20/12 11:19 PM Re: Ot, maybe, sorta: Most immersive sim/game you have played and why. [Re: Ajay]
Toxin_1 Offline

Falcon 3.0 Gold series and the reason I bought my first gaming pc ie sound blaster & pc joystick, Wing Commander!!!!!

#3500007 - 01/21/12 02:00 AM Re: Ot, maybe, sorta: Most immersive sim/game you have played and why. [Re: Ajay]
FIScott Offline

SH3 had a great atmosphere to it. There was something about OFF that dragged me in too.

#3500653 - 01/21/12 07:50 PM Re: Ot, maybe, sorta: Most immersive sim/game you have played and why. [Re: Ajay]
Ajay Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brisbane OZ
i wanted to give the SH series a go but from reading the forums at the time ..i knew it would have dragged me in too much so i left it.
CloD
My Stuff (some nsfw words:) )
My Head+DayZ Stories

#3505739 - 01/28/12 12:18 PM Re: Ot, maybe, sorta: Most immersive sim/game you have played and why. [Re: Ajay]
Sturm_Williger Offline

Loc: Virtual Paradise
Immersion is generally what you make it.

IL2, for all its sterility, I remember the first time I flew in one of the Virtual Wars missions in IL2. I'd never had to navigate without the little airplane on the map and trying not to get lost, not to get bounced and also fly the mission I was supposed to fly ... well, I was terrified and confused for almost the entire flight of roughly 45 minutes ( I didn't want to get shot down and cost my side dear ).

Well, I was immersed I think. The feeling of actually finding the airfield I was meant to land at was awesome. Luckily I didn't meet any enemy or I would have been taken for breakfast as I wasn't too good without icons in those days either. I must have been just like any other rookie pilot.

I don't think any of the previous sims I flew ever sucked me in to that extent.

#3505786 - 01/28/12 01:30 PM Re: Ot, maybe, sorta: Most immersive sim/game you have played and why. [Re: Ajay]
Para_Bellum Online   biggrin
Oberkriegkaboomführer
Hotshot

Loc: Germany
Silent Hunter 3, European Air War, Falcon 4.0, Red Baron 2, Operation Flashpoint for me.

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm

#3506717 - 01/29/12 06:51 PM Re: Ot, maybe, sorta: Most immersive sim/game you have played and why. [Re: Ajay]
cheesehawk Offline

Loc: CA, USA
Battle of Britain II just for the sheer complexity of the battles and AI. You really do forget those are programmed robots.

#3506877 - 01/30/12 12:29 AM Re: Ot, maybe, sorta: Most immersive sim/game you have played and why. [Re: Ajay]
kestrel79 Offline

Loc: Wisconsin, USA
I'll go Cliffs of Dover, if we are talking strictly from a "feeling of flight" sense. Maybe it's my new x52 pro and CH Throttle Quad that adds to the immersion as well, but when flying CloD I get the most real sense of flight compared to other sims I have flown. It's the flipping of switches, the great 109 engine sounds, all the levers and gauges you must constantly watch, the cockpit shaking, the heavyness of the airplane feeling.

From a total package of immersion including menu's and presentation I'll go with Janes USNF'97 and the X-Wing/Tie Fighter series. You really felt like a recruit just starting out and working your way up in those sims. X-Wing's mission briefing screen is still the best in my opinion. It felt right out of the movie, like you had Luke and Wedge sitting next to you. I still have some of the harder mission briefings memorized I tried flying them so much.....like this one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsbiuEZAaok

#3506932 - 01/30/12 04:32 AM Re: Ot, maybe, sorta: Most immersive sim/game you have played and why. [Re: Ajay]
JG5_Emil Offline

Loc: Cheshire....Ok stockport
The best game in the world is Combat Missions in my opinion. It's a brilliant game that simulates combat at company, and lower, level.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:

Moderator:  EinsteinEP, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Giant Poppy made by intelligence staff in UK.
by RedToo
03:08 AM
Looking for an article
by Supra
01:15 AM
The Pub
by Linebacker
11:49 PM
Wait... I think I've figured it out...
by Pizzicato
11:38 PM
So glad...not me
by Timothy
10:43 PM
Oh my. Ebola in New York
by oldgrognard
10:21 PM
Is the campaign coop?
by Destraex
10:14 PM
George St Sydney 1914-2014
by Ajay
09:46 PM
Arma 3 free weekend + 50% off sale
by Vertigo1
09:42 PM
ARMA2 - ww2 is on steam sale for $6 atm. The D-Day addon comes with it. I am gonna grab it.
by Destraex
09:29 PM

Forum Use Agreement | Privacy Statement
Copyright 1997-2014, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.