Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3470978 - 12/09/11 07:31 PM R/C Helicopters: What Next?  
HitchHikingFlatlander Offline
HitchHikingFlatlander  Offline

California
So I've owned and dialed in my skills on a very stable Syma S107 (indoor heli) and its big brother the S032 (outdoor heli). I'd now like to move up to the next best thing something twice as fast and twice as agile. The Syma S032 leaves a lot to be desired as an outdoor heli, its slow and even the slightest .25mph wind will drag it down field or down the street. To counter this I add a little bit of weight to the nose but even still flight is slow going until I initiate a slight turn in forward flight.

I'm OK with the performance of the Syma Heli's after all they are for beginners and supposed to be forgiving and easy to fly. At this point though I've grown perfectly comfortable with my ability to pilot and what to take a small step up. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a successor to the S032?

I know R/C is not a cheap hobby but I'm hoping something is available for under $100. The amount of fun for $20 in a Syma S107 or $30 in a S032 can't be beat in terms of bang for buck. I need something that is RTF and if nothing is out there in that price range I may just buy a few more Syma helis.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I've got a bad feeling about this.....
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3471225 - 12/10/11 02:26 AM Re: R/C Helicopters: What Next? [Re: HitchHikingFlatlander]  
Desert_Ranger Offline
Desert_Ranger  Offline

California
Can I assume you're looking to go tail rotor (not coaxial)? I ask cuz at a price of less than $100 you're pretty much limiting yourself to micro coaxial helis. If you're looking for something that can handle a 25mph wind (btw, since when is 25mph considered slight Smile2) then you're going to be spending a good deal more than $100 I'm afraid.....and it's probably not going to be coax, or an indoor heli. If you can manage $130 then I'd recommend the Blade mSR from E-Flite which is a fixed pitch tail rotor micro heli that is surprisingly stable and is the next step up from coax. It comes in both BNF and RTF packages. The mSR can't handle much wind tho, but again, you're not going to get much of an outdoor heli for less than $300-$450 or so, and that's just for the heli....you'll need to provide a radio and probably some of the electronics.

I wish you luck in your search, but I don't think there's much available for under $100.

I'm a reasonable guy, but I've just experienced some very unreasonable things...
#3472181 - 12/12/11 01:24 AM Re: R/C Helicopters: What Next? [Re: HitchHikingFlatlander]  

California
Thanks for the honest response, I was afraid that would be the answer so it doesn't sting that bad. I think for now I'll stick to the price range I'm in, can't justify (to my wife LOL) spending that much on a R/C after all the cash I spend on my simpit! I'll keep my eye out for deals tho maybe I can pick up a decent one at a bargain price.

Thanks Again!

#3474566 - 12/15/11 02:37 PM Re: R/C Helicopters: What Next? [Re: HitchHikingFlatlander]  
KRT_Bong Offline
It's KRT not Kurt
KRT_Bong  Offline
It's KRT not Kurt

Sarasota, Florida
I have been sniffing around this hobby myself. My Father Flies Giant Scale mostly WWI some Golden Age stuff you know old R/C guys they trade and haggle my old man always has cool toys. He got a micro Revell Proto Co-axial that I have been eying and playing with every time I come over and so I started looking and actually the Revell is a repackaged chinese made model of the Nine-Eagles brand which you can buy at 30 bucks a piece but I digress, what I wanted was a stable beginners Helo but something I wouldn't get easily bored with. My Roomie has a Walkera that he knocked off a table and broke before he ever got to fly it and it is not a micro, you won't be flying it in the house. I wouldn't mind something I can fly inside but on a calm day outside would be cool so here's a few that I found based on the idea of a first time helo that anyone can fly,

http://www.xenonproject.com/rc-helicopters/electric/double-horse-9104-big-gyro-p-38378.html

http://www.walkeraofamerica.com/walkera-5-10-wk2403-2.aspx

found it here real cheap, but out of stock
http://www.xheli.com/wa5me4xcorar.html

note that these have spare parts readily available
http://www.xheli.com/67h-9053-volitationheli.html

Now I haven't decided anything and the Roomie thinks I should buy a Race Truck instead because Helos are Hard to Fly
but I'm the one with all the Flight Sims and the HOTAS and Pedals under my desk so I'm researching to get the best price and the right model. Buyer beware though there are a lot of drop shipper sites out there and the delivery comes from China, it will be cheap but it may take a month to deliver and who knows on the shipping charges.
This Xheli.com site seems to have reasonable prices and lots of choices.

Last edited by KRT_Bong; 12/15/11 02:55 PM.

Windows 10 Pro
Gigabyte 970A DS3P FX
AMD FX6300 Vishera 3.5 Ghz
ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 970 Overclocked 4 GB DDR5
16Gb Patriot Viper 3 RAM DDR3 1866Mhz
Onikuma Gaming Headset (has annoying blue lights I don't use)
#3474837 - 12/15/11 08:48 PM Re: R/C Helicopters: What Next? [Re: KRT_Bong]  
Desert_Ranger Offline
Desert_Ranger  Offline

California
Well, I stand corrected - apparently there are tail rotor helis for under $100. I will say this tho - as a mostly consistent rule you get what you pay for. Yes, some brands may be over-priced but usually those that are priced low are priced low for a reason. So I echo your warning - buyer beware!! A 28" RTF heli for only $80 is a red flag to me, as in, there's alot of something cheap going on here and cheap usually means difficult/poor flying which is the #1 or #2 reason people are turned-off from the hobby. That said, I could be wrong - the 9104 might fly just fine. I would strongly recommend finding some user reviews before buying, and maybe some actual flight footage as well. There are just too many gimmicks out there. (BTW, even a 28" heli can't handle much wind)

ps. Helicopters may be harder to fly than fixed wing, but with the right start they really aren't that bad, especially if your interest is scale and basic flight. 3D flying is, of course, more challenging. You mention getting easily bored and I will admit coaxial helis can get boring pretty quickly, but they are good throttle training. Jumping right in to tail-rotor helis can be very difficult, and expensive, and discouraging. And remember - every flight sim, HOTAS, and pedal combination in the world can't fully teach RC flight.

pps. if you do decide to purchase the 9104 I hope you'll post a review copter

I'm a reasonable guy, but I've just experienced some very unreasonable things...
#3474855 - 12/15/11 09:11 PM Re: R/C Helicopters: What Next? [Re: Desert_Ranger]  
KRT_Bong Offline
It's KRT not Kurt
KRT_Bong  Offline
It's KRT not Kurt

Sarasota, Florida
Originally Posted By: Desert_Ranger
Well, I stand corrected - apparently there are tail rotor helis for under $100. I will say this tho - as a mostly consistent rule you get what you pay for. Yes, some brands may be over-priced but usually those that are priced low are priced low for a reason. So I echo your warning - buyer beware!! A 28" RTF heli for only $80 is a red flag to me, as in, there's alot of something cheap going on here and cheap usually means difficult/poor flying which is the #1 or #2 reason people are turned-off from the hobby. That said, I could be wrong - the 9104 might fly just fine. I would strongly recommend finding some user reviews before buying, and maybe some actual flight footage as well. There are just too many gimmicks out there. (BTW, even a 28" heli can't handle much wind)

ps. Helicopters may be harder to fly than fixed wing, but with the right start they really aren't that bad, especially if your interest is scale and basic flight. 3D flying is, of course, more challenging. You mention getting easily bored and I will admit coaxial helis can get boring pretty quickly, but they are good throttle training. Jumping right in to tail-rotor helis can be very difficult, and expensive, and discouraging. And remember - every flight sim, HOTAS, and pedal combination in the world can't fully teach RC flight.

pps. if you do decide to purchase the 9104 I hope you'll post a review copter

Well I went into a new Hobby Shop here in town and I bought one of the Revell Proto co-ax just to satisfy my immediate fix, If this one is enjoyable I'll order the other and I will write a review but right now I'm having a blast with the micro.

Windows 10 Pro
Gigabyte 970A DS3P FX
#3474943 - 12/15/11 11:33 PM Re: R/C Helicopters: What Next? [Re: HitchHikingFlatlander]  

California
I might look into the Double Horse you linked KRT_BONG seems like I could take a chance with it and it also offers the level of stability while upping the speed and maneuverability.

With the Syma brand I've been flying I really think the biggest culprit is the gyro. Common sense tells me that the heli is constantly fighting it while trying to fly forward and backwards. Even with some considerable weight taped to the nose the heli still trys to level itself out . Speaking of adding weight, I believe that's whats causing many a crash. I'm probably taking this thing outside of its safe parameters which in turn causes a blade collision then crash. I've snapped the tail section and just the other night broke a 1/2" of a blade which is causing pretty violent shaking.

I love these helis because they're priced right with decent quality airframes. If I break it one I don't feel like crying, maybe that's what is holding me back from moving up to more expensive helis.

Thanks again for the links and discussion.

#3474986 - 12/16/11 12:58 AM Re: R/C Helicopters: What Next? [Re: HitchHikingFlatlander]  
KRT_Bong Offline
It's KRT not Kurt
KRT_Bong  Offline
It's KRT not Kurt

Sarasota, Florida
Well Helicopters are prone to breakage, it's just part of the nature of the thing. Trying to fly with a blade out of balance will only break more things, I've already knocked the fly-bar off twice. Being a lightweight design you can pretty much shut it off 6 feet in the air and it will just bounce so when you have a collision with the wall, curtains and the errant lampshade it's the best thing to do to prevent damage. The Double Horse is obviously a bit bigger than the one Im playing with now so the chance of running into things is that much more critical and that should be best outside with an over 20" Rotor, there are also some videos of mods to make it work better

and here's the other single Rotor

these are 3 channel helos they cant roll (aileron axis)

Quite honestly I'm disappointed these don't come in a 4 channel model or a lockable 4th channel for beginner/intermediate operation. Without the 4th channel you cant do certain maneuvers like funnels and sideways flight.

Last edited by KRT_Bong; 12/16/11 03:26 PM.

Windows 10 Pro
Gigabyte 970A DS3P FX
#3475620 - 12/17/11 01:59 AM Re: R/C Helicopters: What Next? [Re: HitchHikingFlatlander]  

California
Spotted the DH 9104 at amazon for $56 and free shipping!

http://www.amazon.com/Double-Horse-9104-...6901&sr=8-1

Maybe I can get one after X-Mas, if so I'll try and do a mini review and get some video! Actually I still need to get video of my Syma S032 but need new rotor blades first. Any case I think for the price I can't go wrong taking a chance and it seems to get favorable reviews too.

#3476625 - 12/18/11 10:23 PM Re: R/C Helicopters: What Next? [Re: HitchHikingFlatlander]  
KRT_Bong Offline
It's KRT not Kurt
KRT_Bong  Offline
It's KRT not Kurt

Sarasota, Florida
There are quite a few videos of those out there for modding and tweaking for more control.

Last edited by KRT_Bong; 12/18/11 10:30 PM.

Windows 10 Pro
Gigabyte 970A DS3P FX
#3479117 - 12/22/11 02:37 PM Re: R/C Helicopters: What Next? [Re: HitchHikingFlatlander]  
Paul Morrison Offline
Veteran
Paul Morrison  Offline
Veteran

Canada
Quote:
I ask cuz at a price of less than $100 you're pretty much limiting yourself to micro coaxial helis.

I'm pretty sure if you were to call Kondor Model Products, they'd sell you one of their CP-400's at or below cost. He's trying to get rid of them. They are a great little copter though.

The word "Martyr" is just a fancy name for "crappy fighter".
#3479332 - 12/22/11 07:48 PM Re: R/C Helicopters: What Next? [Re: Paul Morrison]  
Desert_Ranger Offline
Desert_Ranger  Offline

California
Originally Posted By: Paul Morrison
Quote:
I ask cuz at a price of less than $100 you're pretty much limiting yourself to micro coaxial helis.

I'm pretty sure if you were to call Kondor Model Products, they'd sell you one of their CP-400's at or below cost. He's trying to get rid of them. They are a great little copter though.

I don't mean to be Mr Negative but this has red flag written all over it!! Who makes this thing?? What all is included in the kit?? What isn't included, but necessary for flight?? Is it RTF or BNF?? Is it 3 channel?? Is assembly required?? No user reviews in 6 years?? Dealer is trying to "get rid of them" - why?? Does anyone else sell the CP 400, etc, etc, etc.....

My guess is even if it was sold below cost, by the time you get this thing in the air the total cost won't be below $100, and even if it is I'd say proceed with caution. I've foolishly bought helicopters from dealers who were getting rid of stock and in every case, once they had my money they didn't care one lick about me....and finding replacement parts became a royal chore!!

I'm not suggesting KMP can't be trusted, but unless money isn't an issue, approach this deal with caution....

#3479442 - 12/22/11 10:36 PM Re: R/C Helicopters: What Next? [Re: HitchHikingFlatlander]  
KRT_Bong Offline
It's KRT not Kurt
KRT_Bong  Offline
It's KRT not Kurt

Sarasota, Florida
There are technically, some good Helos under $100 depending on what level of flyer you are. But with a little searching you can find local suppliers on the Web whom you can order from who supply the very same products you pay more for at the B&M Hobby Shop in the local Mall. If you are an enthusiast you can buy everything you need and build the kit version a lot cheaper than the RTF Combo at the Store.
I'm quite enjoying the micro 4 Channel I got from the local store but I find I could have ordered it cheaper even with 3-day shipping if I had just waited. In fact I think the company was located in California, jus sayin.

Windows 10 Pro
Gigabyte 970A DS3P FX
#3479867 - 12/23/11 02:30 PM Re: R/C Helicopters: What Next? [Re: HitchHikingFlatlander]  
Paul Morrison Offline
Veteran
Paul Morrison  Offline
Veteran

Canada
Quote:
I don't mean to be Mr Negative but this has red flag written all over it!! Who makes this thing?? What all is included in the kit?? What isn't included, but necessary for flight?? Is it RTF or BNF?? Is it 3 channel?? Is assembly required?? No user reviews in 6 years?? Dealer is trying to "get rid of them" - why?? Does anyone else sell the CP 400, etc, etc, etc.....

My guess is even if it was sold below cost, by the time you get this thing in the air the total cost won't be below $100, and even if it is I'd say proceed with caution. I've foolishly bought helicopters from dealers who were getting rid of stock and in every case, once they had my money they didn't care one lick about me....and finding replacement parts became a royal chore!!

I'm not suggesting KMP can't be trusted, but unless money isn't an issue, approach this deal with caution....

I used to work for them, so I know the product very well.

The reason he's trying to move them is simply because he's had them a long time. KMP is known for high end ARFs and so people don't usually come to KMP looking for copters.

Its a 4 channel, comes assembled, but servos, gyro receiver and radio need to be added (he has all of that and will bundle it). He also has belt drive kits, which make it much better. The body parts are aluminum or carbon fiber (much of the frame is carbon fiber). A few parts are polymer. He has enough parts on hand to make 20 or thirty more copters. Comes in a nice hard carry case. I've personally sold a few dozen of them (when I worked for Kondor), and I had maybe 2 issues in that time from customers. One had a broken case on arrival by bad shipping. The other we had a shipping issue with some spare parts after he crashed it that eventually got sorted out.

Instruction manual is here: http://www.kmp.ca/images/instructions/tornado_instructions.pdf

They are a good deal for the price, and KMP has good customer service (I know, I ran it for two years). Not a fly by night operation that will say 'screw you' after you buy it like some places.

I have no idea why no one has reviewed it on the website, but considering there have only been 4 reviews on the website since I built it, despite tens of thousands in sales, I think you can't hold that against it.

The word "Martyr" is just a fancy name for "crappy fighter".
#3500601 - 01/21/12 11:49 PM Re: R/C Helicopters: What Next? [Re: HitchHikingFlatlander]  
VFRHawk Offline
VFRHawk  Offline

Hi,

Quite interested in the Revell Proto Max, but it seems to be USA only... not listed on the Revell Germany site as far as I can see.

Can anyone either suggest somewhere in europe (I'm in the UK) where I could get one, or failing that something similar that's available over here? I'd like something I can fly indoors but thats a bit more complex than the IR toys Amazon are pushing...

Thanks
Graham

#3500955 - 01/22/12 04:40 PM Re: R/C Helicopters: What Next? [Re: VFRHawk]  
KRT_Bong Offline
It's KRT not Kurt
KRT_Bong  Offline
It's KRT not Kurt

Sarasota, Florida
Originally Posted By: VFRHawk
Hi,

Quite interested in the Revell Proto Max, but it seems to be USA only... not listed on the Revell Germany site as far as I can see.

Can anyone either suggest somewhere in europe (I'm in the UK) where I could get one, or failing that something similar that's available over here? I'd like something I can fly indoors but thats a bit more complex than the IR toys Amazon are pushing...

Thanks
Graham

this is the same Helo as the Revell Proto Max, from the original Mfg.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__10998__S_Pro_FP_II_2_4Ghz_Micro_Heli_w_2_4Ghz_Tx_V2_.html
I've ordered from this site, they are cheap and they ship all over.

Windows 10 Pro
Gigabyte 970A DS3P FX
#3501074 - 01/22/12 07:35 PM Re: R/C Helicopters: What Next? [Re: HitchHikingFlatlander]  
NattyIced Offline
NattyIced  Offline

The Nine Eagles Solo Pro V2 landing skid is kinda crap. Snapped both the skids the first day. Also, the battery system was a surprise. I saw on the site it was a 3.7 120mAH battery so I figured it'd be like the batteries for my ultra-micros. The connection is different so I couldn't swap batteries and extend flying time. With the broken skids it was worthless anyway. Ended up getting rid of the skid/battery system and purchased the blade battery mount for the mSR X (BLH3204) and installed that. I snipped off the battery holder on those skids though, as it still wouldn't hold the other batteries. Opened up the front and found that there was a connector that would work with my batteries in there, it's just hooked up to the old skid system. I snipped that off and soldered that connection where the male connection was. Now I can swap out batteries with my UM's and the new skid system is much more resilient. Several drops and it's still intact.

I use the hook and loop system to hold the battery in place near the front.

Last edited by NattyIced; 01/22/12 07:35 PM.
#3501111 - 01/22/12 08:45 PM Re: R/C Helicopters: What Next? [Re: NattyIced]  
KRT_Bong Offline
It's KRT not Kurt
KRT_Bong  Offline
It's KRT not Kurt

Sarasota, Florida
Originally Posted By: NattyIced
The Nine Eagles Solo Pro V2 landing skid is kinda crap. Snapped both the skids the first day. Also, the battery system was a surprise. I saw on the site it was a 3.7 120mAH battery so I figured it'd be like the batteries for my ultra-micros. The connection is different so I couldn't swap batteries and extend flying time. With the broken skids it was worthless anyway. Ended up getting rid of the skid/battery system and purchased the blade battery mount for the mSR X (BLH3204) and installed that. I snipped off the battery holder on those skids though, as it still wouldn't hold the other batteries. Opened up the front and found that there was a connector that would work with my batteries in there, it's just hooked up to the old skid system. I snipped that off and soldered that connection where the male connection was. Now I can swap out batteries with my UM's and the new skid system is much more resilient. Several drops and it's still intact.

I use the hook and loop system to hold the battery in place near the front.

I have the Co-Axial but the landing skid battery holder hasn't been a problem it is as durable as the rest of the helo however, I did snap a flybar and had to purchase one from the local hobby shop. While they can take a little banging around they are still pretty fragile being as they are small light and have tiny parts i have a tiny screwdriver set (it comes with one but it's a little large) and already have had to make small adjustments to keep all the parts tight and it isn't easy when you need a magnifying glass to see what you are doing. As for batteries I had to make a guess as to which one would work and the 160mah lipos I ordered fit tight but they fit and the battery that my Proto came with and the ones I ordered all fit in the charger I ordered so I guess I lucked out, I plan on getting the NE Solo Pro Helo only and I can Bind it to the TX I already have.

Windows 10 Pro
Gigabyte 970A DS3P FX
#3501285 - 01/23/12 12:00 AM Re: R/C Helicopters: What Next? [Re: KRT_Bong]  
VFRHawk Offline
VFRHawk  Offline

Originally Posted By: KRT_Bong
Hi,

Thanks
Graham

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__10998__S_Pro_FP_II_2_4Ghz_Micro_Heli_w_2_4Ghz_Tx_V2_.html

Unfortunately, they're out of stock at the moment, and it specifies they aren't allowed to ship that product to the UK at the bottom of the page, more's the pity!

So anyone in the US fancy buying one for me and a few spare batteries and sending it over to me? :-)

#3501820 - 01/23/12 07:53 PM Re: R/C Helicopters: What Next? [Re: VFRHawk]  
KRT_Bong Offline
It's KRT not Kurt
KRT_Bong  Offline
It's KRT not Kurt

Sarasota, Florida
Originally Posted By: KRT_Bong
Hi,

Thanks
Graham

Unfortunately, they're out of stock at the moment, and it specifies they aren't allowed to ship that product to the UK at the bottom of the page, more's the pity!

So anyone in the US fancy buying one for me and a few spare batteries and sending it over to me? :-)

Wow really, I wonder why? they have Warehouses in a few places around the world, that is odd and I got mine delivered from Hong Kong to USA in about 10 days.
There should be a place on the sidebar to order from Europe, they have a warehouse in Germany.

Last edited by KRT_Bong; 01/23/12 08:37 PM.

Windows 10 Pro
Gigabyte 970A DS3P FX
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.