Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#3501798 - 01/23/12 07:18 PM Re: There is still hope for MS flight [Re: MedinaES]  
KRT_Bong Offline
It's KRT not Kurt
KRT_Bong  Offline
It's KRT not Kurt

Sarasota, Florida
Originally Posted By: jt_medina

It's the trend right now. 777 studios and Eagle Dynamics are doing it because it's the only way to make money while improving the sim over the time.

That's true and I believe that RoF did it very well, DLC is not expensive and the base game looks great, in fact I flew a night mission last night and it was awesome, Flight can only hope to do as well.

Windows 10 Pro
Gigabyte 970A DS3P FX
AMD FX6300 Vishera 3.5 Ghz
ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 970 Overclocked 4 GB DDR5
16Gb Patriot Viper 3 RAM DDR3 1866Mhz
Onikuma Gaming Headset (has annoying blue lights I don't use)
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3501821 - 01/23/12 07:54 PM Re: There is still hope for MS flight [Re: KRT_Bong]  
kludger Offline
Hotshot
kludger  Offline
Hotshot

SE Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted By: KRT_Bong
I was really wanting to check out this beta and so far nary a peep after applying, but I see people who have it have no problem discussing it and I don't know how much of that is in violation of the NDA. I will say I agree with the post about FSX being unacceptable out of the box and I won't spend a dollar on add-ons for it and if Flight proves to be as disappointing when the add-on content appears I probably won't spend any on it either, even if it is free to begin with. This seems to be the new model for PC/console gaming; to create a title and then sell DLC to nickle and dime the consumer constantly until they have hundreds of dollars invested in it and all this without a real disc in their hands and coupled with some limited activation clause to prevent you from ever uninstalling and building a new PC to run it etc.. Might be how the future is shaping up for Gaming but I ain't buying into it, maybe when they release this it will be more appealing but I'm not betting on it.

I think if you are judging FSX by the default scenery and planes compared to MS Flight or ROF then you are not seeing the FSX I experience when I fly and what I compare most other flight sims to.

You owe it to yourself to at least try FSX with the free ORBX PNW demo and fly out of KHQM airport, and you will see what the FSX looks like for many current FSX flyers.
http://fullterrain.com/product_demos.html

I own and enjoy ROF and DCS LB2 and DCS A10C but even when flying those excellent sims I wish their scenery ground looked as good as the FSX+ORBX scenery I am used to nowadays in FSX.

Anyone that uses 5 year old base FSX as a comparison to any modern flight sim is not really giving it a reasonable comparison IMHO, and we're not talking spending hundreds of dollars for that FSX scenery either $45 for Orbx PNW which includes a huge real modeled area with hundreds of Orbx lib hand modeled airports (not unlike the DCS or ROF regions).

Not trying to sell anyone on FSX or ORBX, I'm not a shill for ORBX but just a happy customer especially of their PNW region, and I just hate to see people comparing 5 year old base FSX to the current sims unfairly IMHO, and also assuming it takes hundreds of dollars/euros to make it look good it doesn't unless you want to extend the add-on quality all over the world.

It's like comparing base Falcon 4.0 to current sims.

i7-7700k@4.5ghz, GTX1080Ti,BenQ XL2420G-g-sync,Oculus Rift
#3502512 - 01/24/12 04:54 PM Re: There is still hope for MS flight [Re: kludger]  
KRT_Bong Offline
It's KRT not Kurt
KRT_Bong  Offline
It's KRT not Kurt

Sarasota, Florida
Originally Posted By: kludger
I was really wanting to check out this beta and so far nary a peep after applying, but I see people who have it have no problem discussing it and I don't know how much of that is in violation of the NDA. I will say I agree with the post about FSX being unacceptable out of the box and I won't spend a dollar on add-ons for it and if Flight proves to be as disappointing when the add-on content appears I probably won't spend any on it either, even if it is free to begin with. This seems to be the new model for PC/console gaming; to create a title and then sell DLC to nickle and dime the consumer constantly until they have hundreds of dollars invested in it and all this without a real disc in their hands and coupled with some limited activation clause to prevent you from ever uninstalling and building a new PC to run it etc.. Might be how the future is shaping up for Gaming but I ain't buying into it, maybe when they release this it will be more appealing but I'm not betting on it.

I think if you are judging FSX by the default scenery and planes compared to MS Flight or ROF then you are not seeing the FSX I experience when I fly and what I compare most other flight sims to.

You owe it to yourself to at least try FSX with the free ORBX PNW demo and fly out of KHQM airport, and you will see what the FSX looks like for many current FSX flyers.
http://fullterrain.com/product_demos.html

I own and enjoy ROF and DCS LB2 and DCS A10C but even when flying those excellent sims I wish their scenery ground looked as good as the FSX+ORBX scenery I am used to nowadays in FSX.

Anyone that uses 5 year old base FSX as a comparison to any modern flight sim is not really giving it a reasonable comparison IMHO, and we're not talking spending hundreds of dollars for that FSX scenery either $45 for Orbx PNW which includes a huge real modeled area with hundreds of Orbx lib hand modeled airports (not unlike the DCS or ROF regions).

Not trying to sell anyone on FSX or ORBX, I'm not a shill for ORBX but just a happy customer especially of their PNW region, and I just hate to see people comparing 5 year old base FSX to the current sims unfairly IMHO, and also assuming it takes hundreds of dollars/euros to make it look good it doesn't unless you want to extend the add-on quality all over the world.

It's like comparing base Falcon 4.0 to current sims.

I have Falcon AF and it wasn't too bad but it is old and I've seen Free Falcon and it's only a little better but that's been a while ago. Maybe I should re-install FSX and try the scenery but the link you gave I couldn't find that file on their server, I used to have several freeware planes but I found it kind of boring to just shoot TnG's all the time and the base game activities didn't impress me much, probably because of the scenery.
edit: the first US server doesn't work but the Aussie Server does.

Last edited by KRT_Bong; 01/24/12 05:04 PM.

Windows 10 Pro
Gigabyte 970A DS3P FX
#3502569 - 01/24/12 06:08 PM Re: There is still hope for MS flight [Re: coreyhkh]  
KRT_Bong Offline
It's KRT not Kurt
KRT_Bong  Offline
It's KRT not Kurt

Sarasota, Florida
I'm re-installing FSX ugh, already 40 mins and I'm not even halfway through the first disc and have 2 more to go, I'm regretting this already. I hope that scenery looks good.

Last edited by KRT_Bong; 01/24/12 06:08 PM.

Windows 10 Pro
Gigabyte 970A DS3P FX
#3502625 - 01/24/12 07:16 PM Re: There is still hope for MS flight [Re: coreyhkh]  
kludger Offline
Hotshot
kludger  Offline
Hotshot

SE Pennsylvania, USA
Sorry KRT_Bong, I didn't know you didn't have FSX installed already... indeed FSX reinstall is always such a pain.

Hope it is worth it to you, but worst case if not you will be able to call people like me on it when we say FSX with Orbx is so great :P

I always prefer to get first hand experience especially if there is a free demo.

#3503180 - 01/25/12 02:48 PM Re: There is still hope for MS flight [Re: coreyhkh]  
KRT_Bong Offline
It's KRT not Kurt
KRT_Bong  Offline
It's KRT not Kurt

Sarasota, Florida
Well long story short it took an hour and then the real fun began, tried to install Acceleration it informed me I needed to register FSX first so I did then it told me I had to wait till the other install was finished, this after I had been at work all day, wouldn't go. Reboot PC, locked up after about 5 min. Icons went white, Desktop went white, wtf couldn't do anything. Tried everything, safe mode worked so I started deleting things no joy, thought I was going to have to reinstall Windows so I started preparing for using anytime upgrade as a repair and moving files (while in safe mode) rebooted and thankfully it worked and no reformat was necessary, whew. Nope, I don't think I'll reinstall that again not worth the 4 hours I spent fixing my PC. Maybe I'll get the beta to Flight but that other Pig can sit in the box with all the other old software.

Windows 10 Pro
Gigabyte 970A DS3P FX
#3503196 - 01/25/12 03:18 PM Re: There is still hope for MS flight [Re: coreyhkh]  
kilosierra Offline
kilosierra  Offline

The very north of Germany
hm,

strange. I had to reinstall FSX after X-Mas `cause my SSD with the OS died. Installing basic FSX was done in around 20 minutes IIRC, plus another 20 minutes downloading and installing the service packs. Never expierienced the installation lasting that long. Maybe something wrong with your optical drive or the CDs? Anti-Virus or something similar messing with the install?

tried to install Acceleration it informed me I needed to register FSX first so I did then it told me I had to wait till the other install was finished

Sounds to me, like the install never finished properly and in fact was still hanging when you tried to install acceleration.

i7 6700k @ 4,5 GHz
GTX1070
Asus Z170 Pro Gamer
16 GB RAM
500 GB Crucial CT500MX200 SSD
Toshiba DT01ACA300 HDD
Samsung SyncMaster BX2450 LED
W10 64
#3503289 - 01/25/12 05:42 PM Re: There is still hope for MS flight [Re: kilosierra]  
KRT_Bong Offline
It's KRT not Kurt
KRT_Bong  Offline
It's KRT not Kurt

Sarasota, Florida
Originally Posted By: kilosierra
hm,

strange. I had to reinstall FSX after X-Mas `cause my SSD with the OS died. Installing basic FSX was done in around 20 minutes IIRC, plus another 20 minutes downloading and installing the service packs. Never expierienced the installation lasting that long. Maybe something wrong with your optical drive or the CDs? Anti-Virus or something similar messing with the install?

tried to install Acceleration it informed me I needed to register FSX first so I did then it told me I had to wait till the other install was finished

Sounds to me, like the install never finished properly and in fact was still hanging when you tried to install acceleration.

maybe, it was unusual to say the least but I won't try it again I'm done with it that was just a nightmare.

Windows 10 Pro
Gigabyte 970A DS3P FX
#3503437 - 01/25/12 08:31 PM Re: There is still hope for MS flight [Re: coreyhkh]  
kludger Offline
Hotshot
kludger  Offline
Hotshot

SE Pennsylvania, USA
Yeah I've never had that happen in my FSX+Acceleration installs and activations, but I don't blame you it is a good amount of install work to try out a demo.

Hopefully MS Flight install will work better for you whenever it comes out, it seems Microsoft has gotten much better with the installs on their products IMHO, Windows 7 install is a breeze especially if you have a SSD though it still takes another hour or two for the rounds of windows updates and reboots etc to get it all up to snuff.

#3513093 - 02/07/12 12:46 AM Re: There is still hope for MS flight [Re: malibu43]  
malibu43 Offline
malibu43  Offline

SoCal
Originally Posted By: malibu43
Obviously I can't be specific about my experience so far, so how do I expand on my earlier post....? How about like this. Just the facts...

I'm a real life pilot so I know what flying an airplane should feel like.
I mostly prefer military flight sims when I have time for simming. When I do play FSX, I prefer low level, VFR flights in light GA aircraft, often at lower altitudes than what you would fly in real life. Sometimes I like to just practice landings. I have no interest in simulating a 747 flight from New York to London (not that there's anything wrong with doing that).
I prefer smaller scenery areas with much higher levels of detail and accuracy rather than a generic looking larger area.
I find the amount of money you need to spend on add-ons for FSX to get it to "look good" to be unacceptable. I know lots of companies make money providing those add-ons and they've done a great job, but ultimately I get those add-ons because I feel FSX fell short in those areas.
I don't ever simulate flight planning or any of that stuff (not that there's anything wrong with doing that).

At thia point, I could see myself uninstalling FSX after Flight is released. The cost and availability of addon aircraft and scenery still may affect that, though.

I'm taking back the section in bold. After posting that, I started playing around with FSX again. Using only free add-ons, I am very happy with the quality and variety (in terms of functionality and eye candy) that I have.

Sager NP8671 17.3" Notebook, i74720HQ (3.6GHz), GTX 970M (3.0GB), 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1TB 7200RPM HD, TrackIR 4, CH HOTAS and rudder pedals
#3520818 - 02/17/12 06:16 PM Re: There is still hope for MS flight [Re: coreyhkh]  
LarryHookins Offline
LarryHookins  Offline

Texas
I know all about rural Internet. I've got WildBlue sattellite. 1300 ms ping times.

Surprisingly enough, Flight with online players was quite good. I'm surprised it worked at all. Even voice chat was good.

You can fly without an Internet connection, but your accumulated stats won't be uploaded until the next time you connect. Flight doesn't use any perceptable bandwidth at all if you're flying solo. If you're flying with friends, especially using voice chat constantly, the bandwidth goes up, a few meg per hour, under 10 for sure.

Hook

#3520901 - 02/17/12 07:55 PM Re: There is still hope for MS flight [Re: malibu43]  
kludger Offline
Hotshot
kludger  Offline
Hotshot

SE Pennsylvania, USA

At thia point, I could see myself uninstalling FSX after Flight is released. The cost and availability of addon aircraft and scenery still may affect that, though.

I'm taking back the section in bold. After posting that, I started playing around with FSX again. Using only free add-ons, I am very happy with the quality and variety (in terms of functionality and eye candy) that I have.

Good to hear malibu43, you know most people in the pro/anti Flight discussions overlook the fact that there's no reason you can't still fly *both* after it comes out.

Personally I plan to try Flight and am open to liking it, while still flying FSX a ton like I do now, lots of people still fly FS9 (and there's still lots of add-ons that come out for it) even though FSX has been out for 5 years.

#3521006 - 02/17/12 09:19 PM Re: There is still hope for MS flight [Re: kludger]  
malibu43 Offline
malibu43  Offline

SoCal
Originally Posted By: kludger

Good to hear malibu43, you know most people in the pro/anti Flight discussions overlook the fact that there's no reason you can't still fly *both* after it comes out.

Personally I plan to try Flight and am open to liking it, while still flying FSX a ton like I do now, lots of people still fly FS9 (and there's still lots of add-ons that come out for it) even though FSX has been out for 5 years.

Yep. Been getting a lot of free scenery for FSX lately that's pretty good and covers areas other than Hawaii. Plus, ORBX Nor Cal will come out at some point, which will cover where I live and fly out of, so I'll probably spring for that as well.

cheers

Sager NP8671 17.3" Notebook, i74720HQ (3.6GHz), GTX 970M (3.0GB), 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1TB 7200RPM HD, TrackIR 4, CH HOTAS and rudder pedals
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.