Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#3494908 - 01/14/12 08:58 PM Steel Beasts business model discussion  
Trident Offline
Trident  Offline

Germany
To keep Wicked's screenshot thread clean. Do you consider SB Pro PE too expensive? If so, why? Think it is appropriately priced? Explain!

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3494921 - 01/14/12 09:20 PM Re: Steel Beasts business model discussion [Re: Trident]  
Magnum Offline
Lifer
Magnum  Offline
Lifer

Naples, Florida
Appropriately priced ...as mentioned before in detail...

Excellent game that can be played SP, MP, co-op... all in 1 tank, 1 platoon, 1 company...etc etc

Can be played as an RTS in map view, can be played as driver and AI do the rest, as gunner and AI do the rest, as TC and AI do the rest...

Comes with a map editor and a mission editor...

Point is SB Pro PE can be played in many different ways, different configs, different modes... very very versatile game/sim.

Now to compare the price... as mentioned before...

EA Sport game... for example: Tiger Woods Golf... yearly edition 60 bucks, 12 golf courses over a year at 10 bucks each... each year repeat.

Call of Duty game... yearly edition 60 bucks, map packs totaling 3 or 4 in that year at 15 bucks each.

iRacing... 100 bucks a year plus you buy extra cars and tracks...

and so on and so on...

Sure... you can find a game... like ArmA2 that will last for years... 40 bucks, and 3 add-ons so far for a cost. But still within 5 years another version would come, (ArmA3 coming this year).

Any of these dumb pay to play... IE: WoW, WoT, etc etc... hundreds a year probally...

So the bottom line is and what you need to ask yourself... 1) how many other modern armor combat games are out or coming, 2)how much do you plan on playing it 3)will you get your monies worth... if your like me, and many others 125 bucks is a damn good price for what we get... if NOT, if you won't play so often, if you'll get bored of it in 2 months, or the cost is just too much (then what are you playing now anyway?)... then the answer is no.

So no one can tell you if it's worth it... you got to tell yourself if it's worth it by doing research on the product, reading reviews, reading AAR's...etc etc...

BUT just because I, and many like me, think it's worth it... doesn't give anyone a right to #%&*$# and complain about the price in every thread that comes up about it.

Sure, you can come up with good arguments against buying it... then thats fine... your lost of some great gaming... go back too what... Tank Platoon 2 from 10 years ago via GOG?

lol wink

IMO

#3494944 - 01/14/12 09:45 PM Re: Steel Beasts business model discussion [Re: Trident]  
TankHunter Offline
Misanthropic Peon
TankHunter  Offline
Misanthropic Peon

I have played the sim for about half a decade now (since it came out), I have played many hundreds, perhaps thousands of hours with it. If you go for a "value per hour" basis then it is rather cheap (even with the updates). The cost is in the realm of cents as opposed to dollars. There are some sims and games out there that cost something like 50 dollars, but where you get only some hours worth of entertainment from it. So in terms of this SB isn't that expensive.

Then there is the realm of cost per vehicle available, which is much lower than with DCS smile

l'Audace, toujours l'audace

I don’t have pet peeves; I have major, psychotic hatreds. - George Carlin

Even if you have a crown and sit at a throne
In the end you will have nothing
Even if you are destined for great riches
In the end you will return to the dust
#3494963 - 01/14/12 10:18 PM Re: Steel Beasts business model discussion [Re: Trident]  
strykerpsg Offline
strykerpsg  Offline

Land of the Morning Calm
I too find it appropriately priced, as I too have owned for many years. I can the hesitation by some just getting started, but I find their business model to be commendable. Admittedly, I was hesitant to buy their first patch/add on, as most previous titles offered their patches for free, but after seeing the labor of detail and accuracy, I was from then on hooked on the business model. I find their current practice little different from others DLC offers, but with greater fidelity of detail and more in depth.

My only two complaint, is no campaign, but as has been pointed out, there is the ability to link multiple single scenarios into a quasi campaign of sorts. The other, would be more Soviet crewable armor, to make for some great BLUFOR/OPFOR multiplayer scenarios.

And as Magnum has pointed out, I have thousands of dollars invested in FSX alone. It's beyond a game, it's an indepth simulation. So, $100.00 (or $85.00 for latest discounts) is nothing compared to others. Matter of fact, in World of Tank, I bet I've sunk more than a few hundred dollars.

Matt

Alibi fire....a true Stryker and it's multiude of variants would be really cool too...but I'm biased.

Laptop:
Alienware M17 R3
i7-6820MQ
32 GB DDR3 1600Mhz memory, Win10 Pro 64 bit, DX11,
24GB GTX 980M video
Alienware Graphics Amplifier w GTX 1080 Strix Edition 8GB
A-10 Warthog HOTAS Joystick w/ Pedals
#3494977 - 01/14/12 10:53 PM Re: Steel Beasts business model discussion [Re: Trident]  
Trident Offline
Trident  Offline

Germany
I'll paraphrase my post in the other thread for brevity.

Premise: Black Shark, Falcon, A-10C, FSX, Skyrim, COD, CIV 5 are titles which deliver levels of entertainment value and complexity similar to Steel Beasts at sub-$60 prices.

Let's examine these examples in detail. FSX? IIRC cost more like $75 originally and evidently did not generate satisfactory sales, leading Microsoft to disband the development team - Flight will now be based on a completely different business model (free-to-play + paid DLC). Falcon? Put its original developer out of business and is only still alive thanks to non-profit efforts of community enthusiasts. Skyrim, COD, CIV 5? MUCH larger potential market, so development cost can be spread over a vastly bigger number of sales. Black Shark, A-10C? Some may argue with this, but there are indications that the business model which ED planned for the DCS series is simply not working out. Longer than anticipated development cycles appear to have forced them to charge for products which they originally hoped to offer for free and broaden their product range (DCS Flying Legends) so they get revenue on a more regular basis.

All indications are that a price of $60 (let alone less) is unsustainable in the long term for a complex, high-quality game targeted at a niche market (these are TWO separate attributes and both contribute).

#3494984 - 01/14/12 11:07 PM Re: Steel Beasts business model discussion [Re: Trident]  
_michal Offline
poly pusher
_michal  Offline
poly pusher

Poland
I think it is appropriately priced. Haven't bought my copy yet, but I'm going to buy it in next few months. They are growing, improving their product, and surviving on the market. That's something.

Ssnake is actively and honestly talking to his community. That's also very important.

#3495040 - 01/15/12 01:22 AM Re: Steel Beasts business model discussion [Re: Trident]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
I'm not sure if it makes sense to directly compare a title like Skyrim with SB Pro. Of course, if you look at it strictly from an entertainment point of view, it's a valid position, and if you're just looking for pure entertainment, by all means go and buy Skyrim. It's a fantastic deal there - great graphics, just $60.-, and potentially also hundreds of hours of gameplay if you want to discover the entire world there. I had tremendous fun with Fallout 3 (another huge time sink), and I suppose that Skyrim is somewhat comparable in concept (though the setting is totally different etc.).

This is why I say that the value is in the eye of the beholder. Because if you want to educate yourself about contemporary armored combat vehicles, SB Pro is rather unique. While other games may also offer "simulation goodness", none of the examples that you mentioned allow you a first-hand in-detail experience of battle tanks and IFVs. If on the other hand you don't care about what kind of a machine you control as long as it is modern and technical and in a combat environment, one of those flight simulators may be a better deal. I just doubt that there is anyone using these outlandish metrics for purchase decisions.
You want to do some (virtual) flying, so you go and pick a flight sim. Or you're interested in armor, then there's the choice between a number of WW2 tank games, some 1st person shooters that also let you board something that resembles tanks if you squint your eyes real hard, and press your fingers on your ears singing "Nananananana I can't hear you nananananana". Then there's Blaze of War, or Balkans on Fire which I'd consider real contenders even though their focus is different so that they aren't completely interchangeable - but still, probably the titles that come closest to a directly comparable tile if your focus is more on entertainment.

Whatever floats your boat. But I think that SB Pro has a number of world-exclusive elements. Is there any other simulation for infantry fighting vehicles? Or mobile gun systems like the Centauro? How many other titles are there that have a reasonably faithful replication of the Leopard 2 family fire control system? How many other titles are out there that offer a comparable real-time constructive simulation/tactical wargame with contemporary equipment?

If you say that you aren't really that much interested in all this, then I will wholeheartedly agree: Steel Beasts isn't made for you.
Then again, you wrote that you're on the fence for a couple of years, so you probably have some interest in these things. In that case I say, there isn't anything better. It really depends on what metrics you apply to determine the value of SB Pro; only you can know what is important for you, and decide on that basis whether or not eSim Games is offering a sweet deal or not. They could try to pay me for playing "The Sims", I still wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.

We've decided that we want at least $100.- for SB Pro PE in its current configuration without printed user manual and digital installation file distribution, and up to $125.- with everything. Suppose we would reduce the price to $40.-, I'd still have to enter this very same discussion, just with someone else whose price point would be $30.- or less. We are fully aware that a three-digit price (even at the lower end of the spectrum) is a bit of a deterrence. That's intentional though it may be counter-intuitive. We want customers who are really interested in the subject matter. Everyone with serious interest will still investigate what SB Pro offers.
There will be no impulse buys, yes. But also no negative surprises about what SB Pro is and what it doesn't attempt to be. After having put so much money on the table, people will invest some of their time to work themselves into the subject matter. Which is an absolutely essential prerequisite to actually have a lot of fun with it. Our price point generates fewer, but happier customers. And customer satisfaction is one of the cornerstones on which the company was founded and is still resting. I like to surprise people positively. In a marketing campaign, I will reveal most, but not everything that is new in a new version. So that if people are already convinced that an update is worth the try, they always find something extra that sweetens the deal.

But you have to make that initial leap of faith. I could argue that anyone who already owns a PC for entertainment purposes has demonstrated that he has disposable income for unnecessary luxury items (and let's be honest, computer games are just that, a luxury). And I'm not ashamed to ask for a luxury price. But I will also tell you that I have come from very modest beginnings. I know very well the value of every single dollar. I will never tell you that $100.- are small change even though most of our customers probably make more on a single day's work. Even then, four or five hours of work are nothing to treat with disrespect. All I can say is that we at eSim Games work long hours too, to honor that leap of faith that every one of our customers had to do at least once; to honor it with the very best work that we can possibly deliver. In the last twelve months we created four new jobs, doubled our programming capacity, and invested a six-digit sum into stuff that will help to further boost our productivity and the value of subsequent Steel Beasts releases. I'm not asking you to "support a worthy cause" or to buy SB Pro PE just to send a signal to keep independent developers alive, or some sob story. I'm just asking for an open mind about our product's qualities:

Here's our product. This is what we want for it. I'm here to tell you everything you need to know to make an informed decision, and I will respect a "Thanks but no thanks" as much as I will be happy about a purchase decision. My promise is, that there will be no negative surprises if you care to have a closer look at it. At SteelBeasts.com there is a Tech Support discussion board with all the dirty laundry there is. Look at the customer complaints, look at our responses, and draw your own conclusions. There is nothing that we have to hide.
smile

Visit the home of Steel Beasts!
...the ultimate armor sim...
#3495201 - 01/15/12 09:25 AM Re: Steel Beasts business model discussion [Re: Trident]  
QuickSilver Offline
QuickSilver  Offline

Ssnake please do not take this as a personnel attack. But eSim Games does a horrible job of advertising Steel Beast. It is VERY difficult for someone to understand what Steel Beasts offers. You ask us what other sim offers the features Steel Beast offers? ("Is there any other simulation for infantry fighting vehicles? Or mobile gun systems like the Centauro? How many other titles are there that have a reasonably faithful replication of the Leopard 2 family fire control system? How many other titles are out there that offer a comparable real-time constructive simulation/tactical wargame with contemporary equipment?") You don't even tell people YOU guys offer these features. So how can you expect people to make a comparison? Would you buy a car that cost 250 percent of what other cars cost if you did not even know what features the car offered?

This is how Steel Beasts is advertised.

Tank Sim $125.

Not very descriptive is it?

If you really want to communicate what Steel Beasts offers and don't want disappointed impulse buy customers do what makes sense. Offer a demo.

Nothing major. Say 1 tank and a small map.

Or at least make an effort to inform people what Steel Beast is all about.

#3495203 - 01/15/12 09:38 AM Re: Steel Beasts business model discussion [Re: QuickSilver]  
BlueSixGolf Offline
BlueSixGolf  Offline

Mesa, Arizona
Originally Posted By: QuickSilver

Or at least make an effort to inform people what Steel Beast is all about.

http://www.youtube.com/user/eSimGamesDtl

#3495205 - 01/15/12 09:46 AM Re: Steel Beasts business model discussion [Re: Trident]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
That proposed limited demo - by definition - could not show the full scope. wink ...and my point was, though maybe not eloquently phrased, that SB Pro is about richness; many, many different contemporary military vehicles with high fidelity replications of their fire control systems; many, many scenarios to play; many tactical variables to consider.

How and where did you hear about SB Pro?
What made you think enough about it that you actually bothered enough to come here and tell me that our marketing is horrible?
Have you looked at the Steel Beasts channel at YouTube and checked out the videos that we made?
Did you (gasp) ... google it?
Have you read the reviews here at SimHQ, at Tanksim.com, or even bothered to visit SteelBeasts.com to check out the "Game Info" tab and the corresponding Wiki?
If you did, and if what you saw there didn't change your assessment that Steel Beasts is more than "a tank sim", how could a demo possibly change that impression, especially if it featured one of the more popular vehicles like the M1 or Leopard 2?

You can download and install Steel Beasts Pro PE for free, and if you find another user on the discussion board at SteelBeasts.com to borrow you a license (which is possible), you can play. So there - no demo, but you can try the full game (you just depend on others not pulling the plug while you play).
smile

#3495216 - 01/15/12 10:28 AM Re: Steel Beasts business model discussion [Re: Trident]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
I'm not sure that eSim will get too many impulse buyers with their current asking price.

I have a great interest in the subject matter,having played tank sims for 20+ years now,yet it took me years to make the decision to buy it.
Price was a big factor that held me off making the purchase.
The other was a lack (at the time) of decent modern armoured simulations.

If I am going to fork out $125 for a game I am certainly going to 'research' the hell out of it.
Forums,reviews and youtube are my main tools to help me make a decision.

I'm trying to think what the average SB Pro buyer is like....

They have played tank sims for years.
They watch all tank related goodness on Discovery.
They know all the best tank related films.
They have tank related paraphernalia dotted about their 'man cave'.
They may even have served for real in the armed forces.
They almost certainly have quite a few tank sims in their collection.

As for the price?
For me worth every penny.
It may cost 2-3 times more than an 'A' grade titled game,but it's still on my hard disc.Countless dozens of other purchases are not.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#3495529 - 01/15/12 09:47 PM Re: Steel Beasts business model discussion [Re: Chucky]  
NickMow Offline
NickMow  Offline

Berkshire UK
Originally Posted By: Chucky

They have played tank sims for years.
They watch all tank related goodness on Discovery.
They know all the best tank related films.
They have tank related paraphernalia dotted about their 'man cave'.
They may even have served for real in the armed forces.
They almost certainly have quite a few tank sims in their collection.

You been spyin on me ? thumbsup

Simple, you get what you pay for, there just isnt another Land Warfare/Armour sim like it. certainly no other PC based simulation
that is so engaged with its customers/player/friends/community and absolutely nothing comes close to the time Ive spent engrossed in SB, be it fighting battles, making scenarios or editing skins. Worth the outlay ? Hell yeah !

"If you find yourself in a fair fight..you planned it wrong" (WFO)
#3495648 - 01/16/12 01:20 AM Re: Steel Beasts business model discussion [Re: Trident]  
QuickSilver Offline
QuickSilver  Offline

1.How and where did you hear about SB Pro?

2.What made you think enough about it that you actually bothered enough to come here and tell me that our marketing is horrible?

3.Have you looked at the Steel Beasts channel at YouTube and checked out the videos that we made?

4. Did you (gasp) ... google it?

5.Have you read the reviews here at SimHQ, at Tanksim.com, or even bothered to visit SteelBeasts.com to check out the "Game Info" tab and the corresponding Wiki? If you did, and if what you saw there didn't change your assessment that Steel Beasts is more than "a tank sim", how could a demo possibly change that impression, especially if it featured one of the more popular vehicles like the M1 or Leopard 2?

6.You can download and install Steel Beasts Pro PE for free, and if you find another user on the discussion board at SteelBeasts.com to borrow you a license (which is possible), you can play. So there - no demo, but you can try the full game (you just depend on others not pulling the plug while you play).

1.I heard about Steel Beast looking in the SimHQ forums for a tank sim. Ironically it was DCS Black Shark that got me interested in tank warfare (I wanted to see how the other side felt, the other side of my shkval that is).

2.I say your marketing is horrible because it is. When you visit the Steel Beast website you have nice videos sure. But I have seen nice videos of truly awful games. When you click game info it does not share features it only tells you system requirements. So the only way to get any information about it is to pour through the forums. I thought to come here to say something because I think you probably have a great product and it is unfortunate lack of easily available information is probably costing you sales. Videos are ok but you should highlight features with text as well.

3.I have watched Steel Beast on Youtube. I was not aware Steel Beast had its own Youtube channel. Video is not a substitute for gameplay. Again, you can make a mess of a game look great by editing video. I think anyone who buys games can attest to that. It does partially communicate some features. Text would be better to advertise these though.

4.Sure did. That's how I found your site.

5.I did read the reviews at SimHQ. I did read about Steel Beast at Tanksim.com (I do not remember if it was an official review or not) When you click game info it does not share features it only tells you system requirements.I was not aware of a Steel Beast Wiki. I revisited your site and saw it on the left side (I checked it out, it is good). Maybe your right about the Demo.

6. Isn't this like stealing your game? Maybe I do not understand the mechanics of it. Is it like a guest pass?

I would like to commend you on making yourself available for questions and debate on SimHQ forums. Your really making yourself part of the community.

#3495715 - 01/16/12 04:25 AM Re: Steel Beasts business model discussion [Re: QuickSilver]  
SeanSB Offline
SeanSB  Offline

Texas
Regarding 2:

In the game info menu, there is a submenu there. It has the SB Wiki, and a page called features. While not a totally exhaustive list, it does give some idea of the vehicles included and what is playable. The SB Wiki goes into more detail about how the playable vehicles work. You must be an exception to the rule - I think lists of features will attract almost no one, videos of gameplay and aars are what sucks people in. I have yet to think of a good way to condense SB into a few paragraphs of text. Anything longer than that will exceed the attention span of most people and be a waste.

Regarding 6:

Licenses can be shared over the internet. Many people have several spare licenses available on their system for loaning out to people who want to try the sim or for family members. On your end, you would have to install the game and the codemeter runtime to borrow them.

Webmaster
http://www.steelbeasts.com
The Ultimate Fan Site
#3495748 - 01/16/12 06:19 AM Re: Steel Beasts business model discussion [Re: Trident]  
pakfront Offline
Ground Looper
pakfront  Offline
Ground Looper

CA, USA
Figured I'd weigh in on this since I spent about a month researching before purchasing it last week. Been playing it quite a bit since, though mostly tutorials and some of the simpler scenarios. I was in your position almost exactly -interest sparked by Black Shark, initially incredulous at the cost, etc.

1.How and where did you hear about SB Pro?
SimHQ

3.Have you looked at the Steel Beasts channel at YouTube and checked out the videos that we made?
Yes. At initial pass they are not that impressive as the charm of the sim is in the game play and not the graphics. I learned the most about game play from the AARs such as Brave Rifles http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9tPvJoCZLg and more recently, the T-72 AAR http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLIhnjZFQ0M . Neither of these pops up on the first page when I searched youtube. In fact, I got a collection of some really old, pre-PE stuff and a hodge-podge of three year old stuff of varying quality.

What I would have liked to have seen there was a few short (maybe two minute) video blurbs on what is special about the sim. An example of using the Map view, an overview of the playable vehicles and the unplayable vehicles. Perhaps a 15second teaser for 3 of the best scenarios, with narration.

5.Have you read the reviews here at SimHQ, at Tanksim.com, or even bothered to visit SteelBeasts.com to check out the "Game Info" tab and the corresponding Wiki? If you did, and if what you saw there didn't change your assessment that Steel Beasts is more than "a tank sim"
actually it took me a little longer than you'd expect for me to figure that out. After all, the videos don't explain that you can command at a higher level, somewhat like the Take Command ACW games, or the complexity and power of the waypoint and route system.

They also don't explain what level of detail you get in the vehicles. Is it switchology like Black Shark? Lighter like IL2? Procedural sim vs Zeitgeist sim? Turns out the technical details of operating the vehicles are mostly glossed over and a lot of the interesting complexity is in the Tank Commandeer and higher role - it's like multiplayer Combat Mission crossed with Red Orchestra, adding on a layer of Take Command Bull Run.

how could a demo possibly change that impression, especially if it featured one of the more popular vehicles like the M1 or Leopard 2?
Personally, I think if esim or SimHQ sponsored an 'free' online event once or twice a year that would be better than a demo. You could lend a limited number free licenses for 10 days so people could try the tutorials, then run a noobs online coop game. It really takes doing the tuts and reading the manual to understand the thought behind the game.
You could offer this to SimHQ members only and encourage people to chat on teamspeak to get a grip on the game.

6.You can download and install Steel Beasts Pro PE for free, and if you find another user on the discussion board at SteelBeasts.com to borrow you a license (which is possible), you can play. So there - no demo, but you can try the full game (you just depend on others not pulling the plug while you play).
This is what convinced me to purchase, a fellow simhqer lent me a license for a week. This is a great seller, so long as you have the kind souls around to offer you a borrowed license.
The ability to add up to 7 more licenses at $25 each so friends of mine can play as well was an understated yet essential plus. There was no way I was going to convince them to spend $100 for this, but me offering them a license to borrow might entice them.

I should add Ssnakes detailed responses to my questions showed a high level of support.

Last edited by pakfront; 01/16/12 06:26 AM.

. A pig that doesn't fly is just a pig. - Porco Rosso
. Windows 8, Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3ghz, 8GB RAM
. GeForce 560 640mb @ 1920x1200 32bpp 96dpi
. TrackIR 3 Vector, Logitech G940 & G25
#3495768 - 01/16/12 07:46 AM Re: Steel Beasts business model discussion [Re: Trident]  
QuickSilver Offline
QuickSilver  Offline

pakfront I think you and I are on the same page. You covered some of the things I thought but did not elaborate on. By the way do you belong to a DCS/FC flight squad. What is your tag? Funny how DCS: Black Shark has lead 2 people to interest in Steel Beast.

#3495776 - 01/16/12 08:24 AM Re: Steel Beasts business model discussion [Re: Trident]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
All right, you raise a couple of valid points.

#3495994 - 01/16/12 06:27 PM Re: Steel Beasts business model discussion [Re: Trident]  
Hellfish6 Offline
Hellfish6  Offline

For what it's worth, I think SBProPE is worth the price. I bought it initially almost six years ago (give or take... it's been six or so years) and gave away my license (along with every other game and computer) during a big life change. I recently bought the game again, and while I haven't sunk a whole lot of time into it on this second go, it is still worth it to me.

I think the problem with the price point for the average gamer is more of a problem with the state of tank games/simulations than anything else. Today you've got a choice of World of Tanks and SBProPE for a tank sim - though you might be able to squeeze in BF3 and RO2 into there. WoT is a fun game, and free, and designed for lay-people to play with tanks (I call it 'Counter Strike for Tanks'). SBProPE is a sim - a hardcore sim - and, comparative to other games, expensive. It's core audience are the people who know how to fight tanks and maneuver on a modern battlefield already - vets, tank nuts, etc. There are few, if any, casual gamers in the SBProPE community. There is no happy medium in the field (and, no, I don't think the Graviteam sims qualify for a non-Russian audience - I have both sims and while I enjoy them for the most part, I can't recommend them to my gamer and tanker friends yet).

I think the success of World of Tanks shows that there is a good, unsatisfied market for tank games, but there needs to be some kind of bridge between the game and the sim extremes. We need another M1 Tank Platoon II or Panzer Elite (or MS Flight Simulator for tanks) - a game that is accessible and fun for the average gamers but also has fidelity to the vehicles it portrays and the battles/campaigns you fight to please the hard core.

I've actually been tinkering with a design document for a "Strike Fighters"-like tank game for years (a lite sim) but I've been out of the simulation industry for a while and back in the military. Maybe after my next deployment I'll have the money to finally put up or shut up about it.

Last edited by Hellfish6; 01/16/12 06:30 PM.
#3496372 - 01/17/12 05:59 AM Re: Steel Beasts business model discussion [Re: Trident]  
QuickSilver Offline
QuickSilver  Offline

Well for me this stopped being about price. It was, but not anymore. I simply want to know more about the interface before I commit. I think pakfront communicated how I feel pretty well. I may beg a license for a week or so. Maybee Ssnake himself might be willing to float me a week (I won't ask or comment on it any further but if he offers I am game). I would love to come back and tell everyone Steel Beast is great. I would love to convince people that are more like myself (like DCS / LOFC2 pilots for instance that have developed interest in tank warfare but do not really understand Steel Beast) that it is a great investment.

Also I have recalculated the price

DCS Black Shark $49.99 (when new)
Logitech G940 $299.95 (new egg)
TrackIR $150.00 (TrackIR site)

Total Cost $499.94

Steel Beast is looking pretty cheap.

#3496386 - 01/17/12 06:43 AM Re: Steel Beasts business model discussion [Re: QuickSilver]  
strykerpsg Offline
strykerpsg  Offline

Land of the Morning Calm
Originally Posted By: QuickSilver
Well for me this stopped being about price for me. It was, but not anymore. I simply want to know more about the interface before I commit. I think pakfront communicated how I feel pretty well. I may beg a license for a week or so. Maybee Ssnake himself might be willing to float me a week (I won't ask or comment on it any further but if he offers I am game). I would love to come back and tell everyone Steel Beast is great. I would love to convince people that are more like myself (like DCS / LOFC2 pilots for instance that have developed interest in tank warfare but do not really understand Steel Beast) that it is a great investment.

Also I have recalculated the price

DCS Black Shark $49.99 (when new)
Logitech G940 $299.95 (new egg)
TrackIR $150.00 (TrackIR site)

Total Cost $499.94

Steel Beast is looking pretty cheap.

The problem is the license is run through the USB dongle..not via a downloaded license you enter into your install. So, a trial version doesn't exist because of the current DRM protection, which works rather well.

Matt

Laptop:
Alienware M17 R3
i7-6820MQ
32 GB DDR3 1600Mhz memory, Win10 Pro 64 bit, DX11,
24GB GTX 980M video
Alienware Graphics Amplifier w GTX 1080 Strix Edition 8GB
A-10 Warthog HOTAS Joystick w/ Pedals
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.