Forums » Air Combat & Civil Aviation » Air Combat - General » WW II » Are there any night fighter sims out there? Active Topics You are not logged in. [Log In] [Register User]
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#3520439 - 02/17/12 01:24 AM Re: Are there any night fighter sims out there? [Re: Agiel7]
PV1 Offline
sometime mudslinger

Loc: Ladner, Wet Coast, Canada
Yes, Rowan's BoB1 had at least a sun which set, so you could get caught out after dark if you lingered too
long. BoB2 has the sun lock at the point it touches the horizon, I believe because of lack of time/funds
during development to properly create the visuals for sunset and stars. I've been hoping a capable volunteer
might come along and rectify this, but it has never happened.

#3520482 - 02/17/12 04:43 AM Re: Are there any night fighter sims out there? [Re: Agiel7]
Pobs Offline
Hotshot

Loc: North Wales, UK
Well, if dated graphics don't offend then European Air Wars has night time and we have a range of night fighters available... we are working on searchlights as I write this smile...

Difficult to get full night screenshots to work but here is a corsair heading out at dawn so you can see the graphics level...

cheers,

Pobs

Edited by Pobs (02/17/12 05:30 AM)

#3521370 - 02/18/12 02:24 AM Re: Are there any night fighter sims out there? [Re: Pobs]
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer

Loc: Corona, California
Looking nice Pobs. smile

Wheels

Mission4Today | Get RoF Templates @ Combat-Asylum
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum

#3619514 - 08/03/12 11:46 AM Re: Are there any night fighter sims out there? [Re: Avimimus]
castiglione Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas, United States ...
Originally Posted By: Avimimus
Originally Posted By: PV1
Secret Weapons of the Looftwarfers, Secret Weapons of the, um, Narnians? Nibbelung? NoGoodNiks? Nanobots? Narcocapitalists? Nasties? Noncombatants?

Secret Weapons of the Nachtjägers (a total conversion for Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe - one of the finest, only rivaled by the Russian Front and surpassed by Lucky Strikes).

Jumping in a little late but that mod is probably one of the few that I did NOT download for the SWOTL.

The only "sim" that comes to mind is the board-game Nightfighters published by GMT games. It covers practically the entire length of WWII, covering the impact that technological advances had on the night battles. I recall when flying WB there was at least one night fighting phase I took part in, flying a Bf110 and I had to get vectored in towards B-24s subbing as Liberators by another player in the control tower acting as GCI.

The problem with night fighting is that it's a lot different from day fighting and it's a totally different world. It's almost a cross between modern air combat with the radar and chaff flying around and a submarine sim. Most of the time, the player would be staring at a radar screen trying to make sense of what he's seeing, listening to GCI vectoring him in and everything else would be black with flak bursts, search lights and the occasional tracers streaking by.

You have no chance to survive, make your time!"

#3652153 - 09/27/12 09:28 PM Re: Are there any night fighter sims out there? [Re: Agiel7]
Zimmerdylan Offline

Loc: Sonora Desert U.S.A.
You can customize DCS P51 Mustang to do night missions.

#3652732 - 09/28/12 07:42 PM Re: Are there any night fighter sims out there? [Re: Agiel7]
streakeagle Offline

Loc: Seffner, FL USA
SF/WoX and SF2 series are well suited for the night combat, just a matter of whether you can deal with the quality of the WW2 aircraft available: models, textures, and flight models. SF2's inclusion of the P-51 should make it better than SF1/WoX for WW2 prop action. But most of the available aircraft mods were originally developed for SF1 and may not be fully adapted to improvements/changes of SF2. SF1/SF1 series is the only game I know where you can fly a P-61 at night with a functional radar. But the SF series doesn't really support the WW2 radar displays, so the radar screens will look a little more modern than they should.

I have flown some F7F Tigercat night missions. The fun is there if not the most realistic displays.

Edited by streakeagle (09/28/12 07:43 PM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:

Moderator:  EinsteinEP, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Pantera fans?
by Stormtrooper
2 minutes 14 seconds ago
Beasts of Prey
by Stormtrooper
13 minutes 5 seconds ago
Scully Halloween costume
by Desert Eagle
53 minutes 36 seconds ago
Virgin Atlantic Space Plane Blew Up
by Timothy
Today at 02:54 PM
Halloween jokes
by Bill_Grant
Today at 10:48 AM
Firefox users
by Chucky
Today at 10:20 AM
Revisiting my childhood: Carl Barks and Don Rosa Scrooge & Donald books
by semmern
Today at 09:26 AM
Youtube offering 60 fps
by Raw Kryptonite
Today at 08:05 AM
Is conversing with the opposite sex on line. cheating on your partner
by marko1231123
Yesterday at 10:53 PM
Guy ACES G-Force test!
by Linebacker
Yesterday at 09:04 PM

Forum Use Agreement | Privacy Statement
Copyright 1997-2014, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.