Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3478472 - 12/21/11 03:51 PM Company of Heroes on sale  
Richardg Offline
Richardg  Offline

All of em for 15 bucks at direct to drive. Downloading now.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3481089 - 12/25/11 04:00 PM Re: Company of Heroes on sale [Re: Richardg]  
Richardg Offline
Richardg  Offline

Skip this one, its a stinker.

Get "Men of War Assault Squad" instead. Its 100 percent better, and more realistic. Its on sale at Steam until Jan2.

#3490147 - 01/08/12 07:59 PM Re: Company of Heroes on sale [Re: Richardg]  
elanaiba Offline
Prototype Custom Title
elanaiba  Offline
Prototype Custom Title

Bucharest, Romania
COH a stinker? The best RTS of recent years?!!!!

No really, it's a RTS, but has some very realistic mechanics inside, and its a lot of fun. Except don't try to play it multiplayer - its good but the opposition is oh so tough. It seems only Guderian, Rommel and Patton are still playing, waiting for fresh meat to join.

#3490928 - 01/09/12 08:47 PM Re: Company of Heroes on sale [Re: elanaiba]  
SacaSoh Offline
SacaSoh  Offline

Hueland
Originally Posted By: elanaiba
COH a stinker? The best RTS of recent years?!!!!

No really, it's a RTS, but has some very realistic mechanics inside, and its a lot of fun. Except don't try to play it multiplayer - its good but the opposition is oh so tough. It seems only Guderian, Rommel and Patton are still playing, waiting for fresh meat to join.

Well, "has some very realistic mechanics inside" it's a point of view of who moved from age of empires or starcraft direct to CoH. It's sure a very fun game (with a lot of mods), but, if you want realistic mechanics, go for Achtung Panzer.
Men of War is also a very fun game, similar to CoH, but with a deeper gameplay than CoH (ballistics and armor, albeit "scaled down" to the map size used in the game).

#3491015 - 01/09/12 10:09 PM Re: Company of Heroes on sale [Re: Richardg]  
Desert_Ranger Offline
Desert_Ranger  Offline

California
Originally Posted By: Richardg
Skip this one, its a stinker.

Get "Men of War Assault Squad" instead. Its 100 percent better, and more realistic. Its on sale at Steam until Jan2.

Suggesting MoW Assault Squad is 100% better than CoH is, quite frankly, humorous. SHoWW2 and FoW (predecessors to MoW, for those who don't remember) were very good games, by no means perfect, but very good. MoW ships, then Red Tide, then Assault Squad and, interestingly enough, MoW is becoming more and more like CoH. In other words, if you think Assault Squad is so great, you should really love CoH.....very humorous indeed. If you want a peek at what MoW should have been, go back to FoW.

Anyway, I've said enough about these 2 franchises already so I'll keep this short. CoH is very good at what it does. The FoW/MoW series is also very good at what it does. Neither is perfect and I've got plenty of gripes about both. But, neither is better than the other, IMO. That said, you could do alot worse for only $15 than the entire CoH collection!!

I'm a reasonable guy, but I've just experienced some very unreasonable things...
#3491361 - 01/10/12 12:53 PM Re: Company of Heroes on sale [Re: Richardg]  
elanaiba Offline
Prototype Custom Title
elanaiba  Offline
Prototype Custom Title

Bucharest, Romania
Word!

Re - SacaSoh - i didn't move to COH from AOE or Starcraft. In RTS terms, the last I really played and liked was the first Total Annihilation. For real time strategy or tactics, i'm a Close Combat guy, and I really wanted to like the TOW series... but it's a pain in the A to play. Esp. multiplayer - which was the meat and bones of my office play time - the COH series is amazing. 4v4 matches in the office were quite amazing.

I really liked the first SHOWW2 and would have followed that up, but didn't for lack of play time. So many great games, so little time.

#3491956 - 01/11/12 01:44 AM Re: Company of Heroes on sale [Re: elanaiba]  
SacaSoh Offline
SacaSoh  Offline

Hueland
CoH have some great mods, like the coop one (Company of Heroes: Joint Operations, but i think there are some new version), i also started on TA, played some Supreme Commander too. You also spoke of Close Combat... my dream is a Close Combat on MoW engine.

#3492362 - 01/11/12 04:38 PM Re: Company of Heroes on sale [Re: Richardg]  
Richardg Offline
Richardg  Offline

After some time playing, I have uninstalled both of them.

I think I'm too old and crotchety for RTS games anymore.

#3492698 - 01/11/12 10:01 PM Re: Company of Heroes on sale [Re: Richardg]  
Desert_Ranger Offline
Desert_Ranger  Offline

California
Originally Posted By: Richardg
After some time playing, I have uninstalled both of them.

I think I'm too old and crotchety for RTS games anymore.

I totally understand!! It took me many, many starts before I started enjoying (if you could call it that) CoH. SHoWW2 and FoW were much easier to get into and by the time MoW shipped, I knew the engine so I was able to get into it quickly BUT, I didn't like some of the changes. With Red Tide, my dislikes multiplied and Assault Squad pretty much put me off the franchise altogether!! I'm tempted to try the latest Vietnam as the devs are claiming it's getting back to the strengths of the franchise (small-scale squad tactics), but I've pretty much lost all confidence in the devs. After FoW they've only listened and catered to those who prefer large-scale frantic mayhem over small-scale strategy and tactics.

What I find rather interesting is for both of these franchises (CoH and MoW) the overall reception with each new release has been less positive than it was for prior releases. This could mean any number of things but what quickly comes to mind are:

- these devs are just churning out more of the same
- the games are actually getting worse (less enjoyable)
- there is still a substantial number of gameplayers who prefer strategy and tactics over frantic, glitzy fragfests

Too bad to - both franchises have awesome potential, but CoH seems all but dead and MoW is heading the wrong way!! Oh well.....

I'm a reasonable guy, but I've just experienced some very unreasonable things...
#3493048 - 01/12/12 10:30 AM Re: Company of Heroes on sale [Re: Richardg]  
elanaiba Offline
Prototype Custom Title
elanaiba  Offline
Prototype Custom Title

Bucharest, Romania
I think (hope) COH2 is on the way, though Relic are distracted by their apparently very good sales in the WH40k franchises.

Re COH releases getting worse, I partly disagree. Tales Of Valor was kind of an experiment, but Opposite Fronts is very good and the British and Panzer Elite are a blast to play. However, they are harder to swallow and take some time to get accustomed to, while the original factions - US and Wehrmacth - are more classic RTS factions.

#3493739 - 01/13/12 03:39 AM Re: Company of Heroes on sale [Re: elanaiba]  
Desert_Ranger Offline
Desert_Ranger  Offline

California
I think (hope) COH2 is on the way, though Relic are distracted by their apparently very good sales in the WH40k franchises.

While no official announcements have been made either way, there has been no indication that CoH2 is on the way!!

Re COH releases getting worse, I partly disagree. Tales Of Valor was kind of an experiment, but Opposite Fronts is very good and the British and Panzer Elite are a blast to play. However, they are harder to swallow and take some time to get accustomed to, while the original factions - US and Wehrmacth - are more classic RTS factions.

Again, the overall reception to each new release has been less positive than for prior releases. Reasons for this are open to interpretation, but something hasn't been "as good" as before. IMO, Opposing Fronts was OK, but over-priced and little improved. If Tales of Valor was an experiment, I fear it was a failed one....which doesn't give much support for a CoH2.

For the record, I wouldn't mind seeing a CoH2 as my hope in the MoW franchise has pretty much faded completely....

#3518445 - 02/14/12 04:34 PM Re: Company of Heroes on sale [Re: Richardg]  
Rakov Offline
Rakov  Offline

Company of Heroes was great fun, on all levels, I played multiplayer for a bit.

I'd love Close Combat on this engine instead though...

#3531351 - 03/03/12 03:48 PM Re: Company of Heroes on sale [Re: Richardg]  
Xambrium Offline
Xambrium  Offline

I still play some times CoH with this mod http://easternfront.org/ ...

#3569779 - 05/09/12 03:51 AM Re: Company of Heroes on sale [Re: Richardg]  
kestrel79 Offline
kestrel79  Offline

Wisconsin, USA
CoH 2 has been announced. Eastern Front! New graphics engine. Sounds awesome.

I need some help with CoH. I'd love to reinstall it on my PC but the patching takes FOREVER when I do the autoupdate. I have to download probably 30 patches one by one to get it all up to date. Is there an easier way to do this, in one giant megapatch from the disc retail version?

Intel i5 2500k // Asus P8P67 // 16GB G.Skill RAM // RX480 8GB // 27" monitor // VKB Black Mamba Mk.III // Warthog Throttle // TFRP Pedals // W7
#3570013 - 05/09/12 04:46 PM Re: Company of Heroes on sale [Re: kestrel79]  
kludger Offline
Hotshot
kludger  Offline
Hotshot

SE Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted By: kestrel79

I need some help with CoH. I'd love to reinstall it on my PC but the patching takes FOREVER when I do the autoupdate. I have to download probably 30 patches one by one to get it all up to date. Is there an easier way to do this, in one giant megapatch from the disc retail version?

Yeah I hated the patch dance after each new OS reinstall... I finally just picked up a copy of COH on Steam during some 80% off sale last year so I wouldn't have to redo the dance ever again.

i7-7700k@4.5ghz, GTX1080Ti,BenQ XL2420G-g-sync,Oculus Rift
#3570653 - 05/10/12 06:42 PM Re: Company of Heroes on sale [Re: kludger]  
kludger Offline
Hotshot
kludger  Offline
Hotshot

SE Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted By: kludger

Yeah I hated the patch dance after each new OS reinstall... I finally just picked up a copy of COH on Steam during some 80% off sale last year so I wouldn't have to redo the dance ever again.

Speaking of this COH complete is on sale 80% off on Steam right now $9.99 (COH by itself is $2):
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/1529/

i7-7700k@4.5ghz, GTX1080Ti,BenQ XL2420G-g-sync,Oculus Rift
#3575206 - 05/18/12 10:32 PM Re: Company of Heroes on sale [Re: Richardg]  
kestrel79 Offline
kestrel79  Offline

Wisconsin, USA
I picked up the Steam version as well along with the first expansion pack. I held off on the other update I heard it wasn't as good? Anyone ever play it? Goodbye patch dance! Started the campaign over again. Damn Red Ball Express mission has me stuck again. I don't know how I beat it last time haha.

CoH 2 has a few posts on their facebook page, if your a fan of this series I'd recommend following it. No doubt it will be amazing.

Intel i5 2500k // Asus P8P67 // 16GB G.Skill RAM // RX480 8GB // 27" monitor // VKB Black Mamba Mk.III // Warthog Throttle // TFRP Pedals // W7
#3576800 - 05/21/12 07:02 PM Re: Company of Heroes on sale [Re: kestrel79]  
Desert_Ranger Offline
Desert_Ranger  Offline

California
Originally Posted By: kestrel79
I picked up the Steam version as well along with the first expansion pack. I held off on the other update I heard it wasn't as good? Anyone ever play it? Goodbye patch dance! Started the campaign over again. Damn Red Ball Express mission has me stuck again. I don't know how I beat it last time haha.

CoH 2 has a few posts on their facebook page, if your a fan of this series I'd recommend following it. No doubt it will be amazing.

I played them all, and as I noted before - I found both expansions to be over-priced and little-improved, but I also paid something like $19 bucks for each. To be perfectly honest tho, I don't think I would have felt much better if I'd paid only $3 for them. Just my opinion, but I didn't think there was enough here to warrant any cost.

As far as your "No doubt it will be amazing." comment - I have my doubts. For starters, the current THQ situation might force a rushed release and rushed releases are almost always a bad thing. I've also got some dislikes about the current CoH which very possibly might not get addressed in CoH2. That said, I sincerely hope I am pleasantly surprised. There's certainly no doubt it will look awesome (Relic games always do) but will it deliver on the promised enhanced strategy and tactics......one can only hope.

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.