Forums » » » Sim Racing, how to start? Active Topics You are not logged in. [Log In] [Register User]
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#3494898 - 01/14/12 03:42 PM Re: Sim Racing, how to start? [Re: Staniol]
mr_hill Offline

Also in game in the forcefeedback settings on rfactor i have set it to -65 on the slider and medium strength also make sure its set to Wheel on the middle one.

As for races in your time zone we have races in an endurance series (all fixed setup so no need to worry about guys who have the perfect setup) which run at 5pm GMT UK time, which is slightly different for you i think, and there is the Skoda's which we run which are also around the same time.

Also Race2Play is a decent enough place but be warned you do get alot of randomers and you have to develop your own setup too. check out the Skoda thread above they are a good starting ground for online play, we have skoda races tomorrow if you would like to join in? smile
First Ever Fastest Lap: Le Mans, SCES, 3:59.028, 3rd June 2012
Wins: 3 (3 SSTCC)
Podiums: 10 (3 SCES, 7 SSTCC)
Pole Positions: 3 (1 SCES, 2 SSTCC)
Fastest Laps: 1 (1 SCES)

3rd Overall SSTCC Great Britain Series, 2012.

Team: Ozjet Racing
Number(s): 26 (SCES) 27 (STCC)

#3495793 - 01/16/12 05:01 AM Re: Sim Racing, how to start? [Re: Staniol]
Staniol Offline

Loc: Hungary
Dear all,
(I do not want to make this into a blog, but until I get into speed, I think I will need some handholding, and its also good to share the fun.)

Uninstalled GRID, its not what I am looking for (had enough fun with it with keyboard when it came out).
Checked my old games, installed nascar 2003 and GPL, enjoying both. Loved the new installer of GPL, I am always surprised how much work some individuals can do for a community, respect to them!
So GPL is real fun, but I suck in it big time.
Since I am an old flightsim junkie, I tend to switch everything on realistic, and I do not mind the steep learning curve.
Never thought that a steering wheel can make this huge difference!
As a next step, I'll by Rfactor 1 this week maybe one simbin title, and he rest... who knows.
Will contact you when I will try out the things online..:)
Thanks again, hope to see you soon in the rear view mirror!

#3495993 - 01/16/12 01:24 PM Re: Sim Racing, how to start? [Re: Staniol]
JAMF Offline
Frugalite & P-38 fan

Loc: The Netherlands
I would think twice about buying rFactor 1, with rFactor 2 in beta. But that's me. smile

#3496002 - 01/16/12 01:32 PM Re: Sim Racing, how to start? [Re: Staniol]
Ragtop Offline

Loc: Kent, UK
I'd say it's still a great buy, people aren't all going to jump to rF2 when it comes out, so there's still going to be a great community to play with.

It's true what they all say though, it's really a modding base. I've downloaded a few mods for rFactor now, and I'm fast seeing why it's so popular. Since I downloaded Brands Hatch (My local) for it, along with a couple of other tracks, and the FSOne mod, I'm in love! I'm going to grab a couple of hillclimb tracks and a few classic cars to play with now.

I'm still a big fan of GTR Evo, but the huge online community for rFactor takes the cake in my books. Just gotta wait for my G27 to arrive and I can get online!

I'm also a flight simmer from the beginning, but I'm starting out with some assists on, and working my way out of them. With a keyboard there's a few you can't get away without, for instance traction control, you just can't get the power down smoothly on a keyboard because the gas is on or off!

#3496730 - 01/17/12 03:29 PM Re: Sim Racing, how to start? [Re: Staniol]
mr_hill Offline

good choice in wheel, Logitech always the way to go, i have the same wheel as you and it has taken a beating and still holds on! love it and wouldnt change it unless for a more expensive Logitech wheel!

#3501495 - 01/23/12 04:51 AM Re: Sim Racing, how to start? [Re: Staniol]
Staniol Offline

Hi everyone,
Just another short update.
I managed to buy race07 (was on sale in a local shop), the next day I bought Race on and Evo too.
This pushed my Rfactor purchase to next month (I do not even try to explain these things to my wife, for her food and bills are still more important, but being patient usually pays off).
I am having fun, and improving slowly.
Trying to drive the same car, and mainly online (currently Honda).
I am not brave enough to touch the car setup yet (apart from the fuel ammount), hell, I do not even understand half of the things I can find on that screen. Is there any manual for dummies out there?
Got used to the wheel and pedals, still changing the chair position in every 5 mins... but will be there slowly.
If they do not fix Cliffs of Dover in the next weeks, I am afraid I will be lost in this world.
Already afraid of Rfactor...

Thanks for all the suggestions and help so far!

#3501497 - 01/23/12 05:04 AM Re: Sim Racing, how to start? [Re: Staniol]
mr_hill Offline

there is a setup tool over at Race2Play.com, just use the following link: http://www.race2play.com/special/setup_tool

Really handy, i wasn't much good at doing setups either, but this even though its not perfect it helps get a good solid base of a setup smile

#3503797 - 01/26/12 03:08 AM Re: Sim Racing, how to start? [Re: mr_hill]
Staniol Offline

Hi,
thanks for the setup program.
I spent the last days on the same track alone in the same car (never thought that this can be exciting).
I am trying to put together a stable neutral car, which I can keep on the road even with minor errors I make sometimes.
The only problem I am facing is, that I cannot tell if my car is bottoming out or not.
Am I supposed to feel it or notice it somehow in Race07?

#3503801 - 01/26/12 03:30 AM Re: Sim Racing, how to start? [Re: mr_hill]
SteveGee Offline

Loc: Planet Earth
Originally Posted By: mr_hill
there is a setup tool over at Race2Play.com, just use the following link: http://www.race2play.com/special/setup_tool

Really handy, i wasn't much good at doing setups either, but this even though its not perfect it helps get a good solid base of a setup smile

While tools like that are handy to get started with, especially with the main components such as springs, ride height and differential settings, for example...they can also steer you wrong in some areas of fine tuning, such as dampers. You'll find a lot of the time it takes into consideration that you've got everything else spot-on perfect, which is not the case sometimes.

It is a good starting point, though and something everyone that's just starting out can really use...it's just no exchange for attempting to learn the physics of just what a car's setup settings actually do. There are tons of RL racing sitesand car physics theory sites that go into great detail about such things. Then, it takes time to try them out in whatever sim you're playing at the time....a lot of time. Hours of trial and error. That can be fun and a learning experience at the same time.

Now, having said all that....in every racing sims, you'll find people "gaming the game". Meaning, they will try every extreme setup tweak in that pursuit of those extra tenths to reach the top of a leaderboard. Running a front roll bar at 243lbs of force, with 41lbs of front spring rate, isn't something you would do in a RL 60's racecar at Spa...at least not do it and live too long, but you'll find those setups posted all over and accompanying 3:19 lap times from them in the hands of people that know how to use them.

That's just a part of sim racing.

Mark Twain

"I do not suffer from insanity. I enjoy every, single minute of it."

#3509136 - 02/01/12 08:15 PM Re: Sim Racing, how to start? [Re: Staniol]
K_Cybulski Offline

Hi all. I'm new here and was reading this thread. I am going to try getting into racing some as well. I have an S1 SRW wheel coming tomorrow.

I have played GPL and Papyrus Nascar and an F1 simulation, but this was a long time ago and never online. I'm unsure if I would like Nascar online but I think I'd like F1 and other similar type racing on road courses.

About how long did it take everyone to get "up to speed" where they don't spin out so much and don't crash so much?

I downloaded Raceroom2 and I played that some - it's free. I kind of like it. I'm thinking of trying iRacing as well. I guess I'm just looking for a good group of people who are mature and are also patient with someone who might not be as good as they are at first.

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:

Moderator:  EinsteinEP, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Avro Lancaster Pair
by Mauld
02:04 AM
Lock on gold disc in windows 7
by tmdgm
12:22 AM
Getting back into IL2
by tmdgm
12:18 AM
Elite: Dangerous (v2.02)
by Brennus
11:40 PM
Really? Should have called me
by Timothy
11:26 PM
FH2 intense Rally Race (video)
by Magnum
08:19 PM
computer not playing 1080 video properly
by peppergomez
08:13 PM
FS: Fanatec CS Steering Wheel Round1
by Patrocles
06:57 PM
FC3 Training Missions Question
by Bucksnort
06:17 PM
Visually Stunning, Norway in 4k
by JimK
06:01 PM

Forum Use Agreement | Privacy Statement
Copyright 1997-2014, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.