Forums » Land & Armor Combat » Tactical Simulations - General » Is Section 8 any good? Active Topics You are not logged in. [Log In] [Register User]
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#3482854 - 12/28/11 02:18 PM Is Section 8 any good?
- Ice Offline

Loc: Philippines / North East UK
It's on Steam sale for £2.49 and I was wondering if I should get it. Is it any good? Fast-paced action shooter or tactial slower-paced shooter?

I'm a bit weird in that I can tolerate 3rd-person perspective shooters but have difficulty with 1st-person perspective, especially those that are fast-paced ones.
- Ice

#3483138 - 12/28/11 09:18 PM Re: Is Section 8 any good? [Re: - Ice]
Stonehouse Offline

Loc: Sydney,NSW,Australia
It's got some good concepts and is a fast paced first person shooter. Powered armour which is customisable at component level (ie it actually changes defense/recon/attack capibilities when you alter the mix of components), respawn is a reinsertion from high alt using your armour jets to brake and land as you feel situation requires. The maps in the original Section 8 are on the smallish side, Section8:Prejudice has bigger maps. Unfortunately the community around the game is (this is from my point of view) is more the twitch-shooter crowd rather than the SimHQ types. If it was played by SimHQers using tactics and teamwork it could be a lot of fun. Single player campaign is really just training as they didn't put a lot of effort into story line or voice acting which is a shame as the intro has a lot of promise which if fully carried through to the game would have given it a fair chance as a classic, the later SP campaign missions I found quite a challenge but again thats me. There is a skirmish mode against AI which can be quite fun but it's really a MP title. I guess at 2.49 plus download costs plus disk space it's not going to hurt too much if it turns out you hate it.........

#3483304 - 12/29/11 04:13 AM Re: Is Section 8 any good? [Re: - Ice]
- Ice Offline

Loc: Philippines / North East UK
Thanks for that. Even though it's cheap, I don't like the idea of owning games I've no use for. I guess I'm skipping this one.
- Ice

#3483441 - 12/29/11 10:26 AM Re: Is Section 8 any good? [Re: - Ice]
Recluse Online   content
Mediocrity Above All!

Loc: Randolph, NJ
Referring to Section 8: Prejudice

I enjoy it, but mainly the Co-op SWARM mode which, if you get a good bunch together is fun. True that most of the action is in the PVP/TVT arenas. Sometimes I can get into a SWARM (CO-OP) server, and if the other guys are good, I barely contribute more than a bot smile

Problem is you need to gain points in Multiplayer games (either CO-OP or adversarial) to level up and gain access to better weapons, better armor, so the really good players are not only really good Twitch players but are also leveled up.

I thought the SP campaign was fun enough to be worth the small amount of $$$. Since I only play the SP campaigns in the pure adversarial MP titles like the Medal of Honor/Battlefield things, if I get them for around USD 5.00 or less I feel it is money well spent for more hours of enjoyment than a movie at 2-3x the cost!

Edited by Recluse (12/29/11 10:39 AM)
Long system spec sig follows:

Click to reveal..

XP Box

Core2Duo E6600
ProMOS 4GB DDR2 800
CoolerMaster CAC-T05-UW CENTURION 5
ANTEC TP3-550 550W
Samsung Syncmaster 2253BW
Soundblaster X-FI XtremeGamer

Win 7 Box: (thanks to kramer!!!)
Intel Core i7 3.06 GHz
Nvidia GTX 770
Corsair Carbide 400R Case
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453
CHPro Rudder Pedals

#3483900 - 12/29/11 10:29 PM Re: Is Section 8 any good? [Re: - Ice]
jenrick Offline

I enjoyed the original release of Section 8 for the SP campaign. Nothing special too it, but fun. The MP action is frenetic, and reminds of old school Tribes, which is a good thing. Once the MP went to Gold members only, I cashed in my copy as I didn't have Gold at the time. Now that I do I might get it again, as the MP is good.

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:

Moderator:  Meatsheild, RacerGT 
Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

Recent Topics
Squatty Potty
by Arthonon
Jaws 19 (I can't wait!)
by CG2015
Halloween group pictures.
by PanzerMeyer
Thoughts on Life
by oselisan
12:05 PM
Keep talking and nobody explodes
by Desert Eagle
10:30 AM
French Submarine Tour
by Timothy
10:47 PM
The Mexican weather scene has been pretty interesting these days ...
by Linebacker
10:43 PM
The hills are alive...
by Coot
08:27 PM
French Train Hero Stabbed in California
by F4UDash4
12:27 PM
Star Wars Battlefront beta today
by Raw Kryptonite
08:57 AM

Forum Use Agreement | Privacy Statement
Copyright 1997-2014, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.