Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3478054 - 12/21/11 12:32 AM Trying to get into Tank Simming  
ChwyNiblet Offline
ChwyNiblet  Offline

I've been an avid flight simmer for awhile and I want to try to get into tank simming now. I was wondering if anyone could give me some recommendation on what I should try. I don't enjoy any turn based planning like I know Steel Armor has.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3478063 - 12/21/11 12:59 AM Re: Trying to get into Tank Simming [Re: ChwyNiblet]  
Magnum Offline
Lifer
Magnum  Offline
Lifer

Naples, Florida
Modern and best.... Steel Beasts Pro PE

WW2... if you can still get them somwhere... Steel Fury and/or WW2 Tank Battles

Action... World of Tanks

Unfortunately tank sims, or even games are rare... ArmA2 can give you tank "action" also.

gl

#3478065 - 12/21/11 01:02 AM Re: Trying to get into Tank Simming [Re: ChwyNiblet]  
ChwyNiblet Offline
ChwyNiblet  Offline

I'm willing to play anything that's good to be honest. Steel Beasts looks promising if it wasn't for $125! Haha I'll look for Steel Fury.

#3478119 - 12/21/11 03:06 AM Re: Trying to get into Tank Simming [Re: ChwyNiblet]  
jenrick Offline
jenrick  Offline

Track down a copy of Steel Best Gold (http://www.amazon.com/Steel-Beasts-Gold-Pc/dp/B000065SQG), or the old venerable M1 Tank Platoon II. Steel Beast is more realistic, but M1TPII is not far behind. Good ebaying will get you a copy for under $20 of either of them, and you can get them from Amazon direct if you want to avoid the hassle. An in box copy of M1TPII has a great spiral bound manual, and Steel Beast has a great series of manuals and info docs included in the install.

-Jenrick

#3478315 - 12/21/11 12:11 PM Re: Trying to get into Tank Simming [Re: ChwyNiblet]  
Txema Offline
Txema  Offline

Basque Country
If you want a World War II tank sim, Steel Fury is great !!

It is realistic and you get a lot of action. It has NO turn based planning.

You can buy it at gamersgate, for example:

http://www.gamersgate.com/

Moreover, a lot of new tanks and missions have been added in several mods. You can get them here:

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/forums/238/1/Graviteam_Sims.html

and here:

http://graviteam.com/forum/index.php?board=1.0

I really like that tank sim.

Txema

#3478639 - 12/21/11 07:37 PM Re: Trying to get into Tank Simming [Re: Txema]  
fafnir_6 Offline
fafnir_6  Offline

Edmonton, AB
Hey there,

For WWII, Red Orchestra: Ostfront has a detailed and fun tank component to it and it's on sale now for $5! http://store.steampowered.com/app/1200/ . The Mare Nostrum and Darkest Hour mods (available for free once you have the basic game) add much to the tanking experience of the basic game depending on whether you want early war tanks or more detailed late war tanking.

Cheers,

Fafnir_6

Last edited by fafnir_6; 12/21/11 07:38 PM.
#3478853 - 12/22/11 01:56 AM Re: Trying to get into Tank Simming [Re: ChwyNiblet]  
Eugene Offline
Eugene  Offline

Oregon
I would (strongly) add on to Magnum and kramer's endorsement of Steel Beasts Pro. For now, it is $100. Or you could think of it as just a little more than $99.99 Smile2 You mentioned that you are an avid flight simmer. SBP is essentially the armor sim world's Falcon 4. Simply the finest ever made. And it, like BMS and Free Falcon in the F4 world, keeps getting new features and updates but unlike Falcon or Jane's or most (all?) of the classic sims, it is the developer that keeps improving SBP.

The cost - Skyrim costs about $60. Lots of new, premium games and sims cost around $50. The current price for SBP is equivalent roughly to two A level new game releases, maybe three if you are lucky or find a sale. Before you make up your mind and reject this superb sim after seeing the price the first time, consider that it will live on your hard drive more or less forever. It isn't a play once, twice, maybe play for a month or two and then let it fade away. Like the best flight sims, you will find its huge and growing stock of missions, its many different fully player capable armor fighting vehicles (M-1 Leopards, Challenger, M-72, and many others) engaging you more and more as time goes by. Multiplayer is a blast - solid as a rock. After a year or two, many other games will have come and gone on your drive, and only the truly great ones keep you engaged. How much value and TSS (time spent simming!!) do you really get from the dollars spent?

From that perspective, which ones are actually expensive? Which ones have the best cost/benefit ratio?

PS If you do buy SBP and end up not wanting it after a while, there is a pretty avid market in re-selling it at a high percentage of the original price - unlike used games.

Eugene
i9-9600K
GeForce 2080ti
Creative Z
Win10
32 gig RAM
Cougar
#3479004 - 12/22/11 07:34 AM Re: Trying to get into Tank Simming [Re: ChwyNiblet]  
Brit44 'Aldo' Offline
Every Human is Unique
Brit44 'Aldo'  Offline
Every Human is Unique

Armored is no different from fly guy. Find the classics cheap and work your way up. What is true in flight is also true in ground sims. biggrin The difference is that line of sight is blocked in vertical vs energy payment for vertical. XY and guns are the same. Think about it wink

TPA who TWI
"The 10th Amendment simply says that any powers that aren’t mentioned in the Constitution as belonging to the government belong to the states themselves."
#3479212 - 12/22/11 05:15 PM Re: Trying to get into Tank Simming [Re: ChwyNiblet]  
Hairog Offline
Hairog  Offline

Wisconsin
If you want to go head to head with dozens of other tankers from a first person perspective you should take a look at Battleground Europe. It is a combined arms simulation so you will more often be killed by infantry or a 500lb bomb but that's the way it really was.

It is a true first person simulation. There is no jumping out and going third person like World of Tanks. This to me makes it a heart pounding, sweat soaking experience and not bumper cars with guns like WOT is. This is a real tankers experience with real physics. In WOT they run around shooting at each other at point blank range. To me it's just silly. In Battleground Europe you normally engage at 500 meters or farther if you're lucky. Don't get me wrong you can very easily surprise or be surprised in the cities and towns and get into a point blank who shoots first situation but it does not happen that often.

The best way is to team up with two other guys. You can have one player drive and the other be commander and gunner. The third should be a infantry type to keep sappers off you and to scout. Your tank makes lots of noise and there are plenty of enemy tank killers who just love to run after the sound of your engine to end you mission. Your infantry scout can both warn you of their locations as well as shoot the sapper/bazooka/rifle grenadier before he gets you. The tank crew can take care of the other tanks but without infantry support you will not last long.

Tanks include Tigers, PZIV, Stugs, PZIII, 232, PZII, Stuarts, Shermans, Wolverines, Matildas, Crusaders, Churchills, Char, Somua, Renault and a dozen others I can't remember at this time. The game rotates from 1940 - 1944 or so with the equipment becoming available as the current campaign progresses so everyone starts out with the early machines and everyone graduates to the heavy hitters. There is no paying extra for bigger tanks etc. Another plus for this game in MHO.

There is a rumor that they are adding possible kind of arena area where tankers can go at it unmolested by planes and sappers. The disadvantage to me is that it will allow 3rd person views and that kills it for me. But to each his own.

Last edited by Hairog; 12/22/11 05:16 PM.

Alternative History Blog at www.wwiii1946.blogspot.com

Ebook here for World War Three 1946.World War Three 1946 now on Amazon
Paperback here for World War Three 1946.World War Three 1946 now on Amazon
#3480253 - 12/23/11 10:56 PM Re: Trying to get into Tank Simming [Re: ChwyNiblet]  
johncage Offline
johncage  Offline

it's not like a college entrance exam. if you want to play something, go ahead and try it. if you can't figure it out on intuition alone, read the manuals and study the control in the options menu.

#3480265 - 12/23/11 11:18 PM Re: Trying to get into Tank Simming [Re: ChwyNiblet]  
TerribleTwo Offline
Hotshot
TerribleTwo  Offline
Hotshot

Wow, really surprised no one mentioned Panzer Elite. Still one of the finest tank sims with a grand campaign from the beginning to the end. Excellent ballistics and as much realism as you want. Huge battlefields, entire squad control - you tell them where to go and what to do when they get there, varying missions, good lord I love this sim....

Every kind of piece of equipment, infantry, artillery strikes, and your p[rogress in one battle determines the next. Almost like a Tank RPG as you progress through the war. You're men die, some are wounded, and they get better everytime they walk away from battle alive.

May be tough to find a copy of Panzer Elite, but if you do, it will need to be modded to bring it up to Panzer Elite 3. You'll need to mod it with the PEDG patch, which can be found here:

http://pedg.yuku.com/

And this is the Panzer Elite- Ostpak (mod version for east front war)

Still fire this game up at least once a week.

"College graduates should not have to live out their 20s in their childhood bedrooms, staring up at fading Obama posters and wondering when they can move out and get going with life" - Paul Ryan
#3480929 - 12/25/11 06:37 AM Re: Trying to get into Tank Simming [Re: ChwyNiblet]  
FozzyBear Offline
FozzyBear  Offline

Steel Beast is not worth $100. You are better off playing WWIIONLINE for 17.99 a month.

#3480967 - 12/25/11 07:27 AM Re: Trying to get into Tank Simming [Re: FozzyBear]  
strykerpsg Offline
strykerpsg  Offline

Land of the Morning Calm
Originally Posted By: FozzyBear
Steel Beast is not worth $100. You are better off playing WWIIONLINE for 17.99 a month.

Bite your tongue good sir.....you know not what you're talking about attack ....my opinion, whatever that counts for(bit of tongue in cheek).

I suspect you're kidding, as the support, realism, accuracy and engine are fantastic, indeed. It seems topically expensive, but it's well worth the cost, despite the only real flaw is no sort of campaign engine. However, there are plenty of ingenious scenario designers that have linked several single scenarios into a campaign of sorts. Not to mention, the design team is continually updating with some of the most current IFV's, tanks and APC's, that are playable, not to mention the wealth of AI vehicles to ues as targets and comrades in arms.

I have owned Stell Beast for more than 6 years and nothing comes close to support, accuracy or re-playability.

Just my unbiased opinion. copter

Anyway, may not be in everyone's price range or level of detail, as it's no World of Tanks simplicity, but it is certainly a true study sim and mil grade specific to boot.

Matt

Laptop:
Alienware M17 R3
i7-6820MQ
32 GB DDR3 1600Mhz memory, Win10 Pro 64 bit, DX11,
24GB GTX 980M video
Alienware Graphics Amplifier w GTX 1080 Strix Edition 8GB
A-10 Warthog HOTAS Joystick w/ Pedals
#3480988 - 12/25/11 07:59 AM Re: Trying to get into Tank Simming [Re: ChwyNiblet]  
Magnum Offline
Lifer
Magnum  Offline
Lifer

Naples, Florida
he's got to be joking... comparing SB Pro PE to WoT. wink

because if he wasn't, he would be the first person I know to think SB wasn't worth the price since release. wink

#3481320 - 12/26/11 03:58 AM Re: Trying to get into Tank Simming [Re: ChwyNiblet]  
jenrick Offline
jenrick  Offline

Yeah know prior to this thread I was sorta on the fence about getting SBP:PE, as I'm not a huge armor simmer. After reading this thread and being inspired to do some research I think I'm going to have to pick it up. Heck I'm playing my copy of SB:G from years ago, I think it's upgrade time.

-Jenrick

#3481407 - 12/26/11 11:55 AM Re: Trying to get into Tank Simming [Re: Magnum]  
TerribleTwo Offline
Hotshot
TerribleTwo  Offline
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: Magnum
he's got to be joking... comparing SB Pro PE to WoT. wink

because if he wasn't, he would be the first person I know to think SB wasn't worth the price since release. wink

SB Pro looks like it was made by amateurs, now iPanzer 44, that's a complete sim that SB Pro can only hope to be...

http://www.combatsim.com/memb123/archive/htm/htm_arc3/ipanz-rev.htm

"College graduates should not have to live out their 20s in their childhood bedrooms, staring up at fading Obama posters and wondering when they can move out and get going with life" - Paul Ryan
#3487808 - 01/05/12 08:22 AM Re: Trying to get into Tank Simming [Re: ChwyNiblet]  
magicalflyer Offline
magicalflyer  Offline

Indonesia
Repeating jenrick, I also recommend a used copy of Microprose M1 Tank Platoon 2 if you can get your hands on one. Notice the word "used", because some sites sell a new (whatever that means) copy at more than US$110. Would someone assassinate me if I confess that I got mine by asking my friend nicely for it (apparently he got hooked at his brand new Steel Beast too much to think twice tuner)?
I don't know about its realism value, but I do know that it's very addicting. All those movies about the M1A2 tank (intro included) alone would worth the $100 for a tanksim fanatic, I guess. And the manual is also a good read.
Oddly, I couldn't run it in Windows XP SP3, but it runs well on Windows 7 64bit, instead. Although with somewhat distorted, but still navigable, main menu. Oh, and use joystick to aim the gun instead of mouse; it's a whole lot easier that way.
My only complaint so far is that it doesn't have a driver's station where you can drive the tank from.

"It ebbs and flows, shipmate. A hot woman and a cold beer will put all this in proper perspective."
#3488027 - 01/05/12 03:49 PM Re: Trying to get into Tank Simming [Re: TerribleTwo]  
RogueSnake Offline
RogueSnake  Offline

Ky USA
Originally Posted By: TerribleTwo

SB Pro looks like it was made by amateurs, now iPanzer 44, that's a complete sim that SB Pro can only hope to be...

http://www.combatsim.com/memb123/archive/htm/htm_arc3/ipanz-rev.htm

We get it, you don't like SB Pro. I can tell your a funny guy though. Attack the people who make SB, based on how it looks. Then post links to games that look worse. You must be some kind of rocket scientist.

We all played, and enjoyed those old games. And you don't do them any service when you use them to levy attacks against SB Pro. If you've been here long enough to make "4684 Posts", then you know just as well as everyone else that members of the SB development team visit these forums often. And making posts like the one above is trolling for a fight.

And you will get it.

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality."
Jules de Gaultier
#3488288 - 01/05/12 09:13 PM Re: Trying to get into Tank Simming [Re: ChwyNiblet]  
magicalflyer Offline
magicalflyer  Offline

Indonesia
Tanksim.com has an extensive review of Steel Beasts Pro PE. Reading that review and some others, and trying it in my friend's PC I don't think it's bad enough to be "made by amateurs" (though I don't know how good it really is either, no "real" tank simmer that I am).
And I sure hope it isn't, because so many countries use the sim it was based on to train their tank crews!

I've read the iPanzer 44 review from the link given, and I think that TerribleTwo was only joking, because even there the reviewer beats this game pretty badly, at some points even comparing it in disadvantage against M1TP2.

Cheers Smile2

Last edited by magicalflyer; 01/05/12 09:39 PM.

"It ebbs and flows, shipmate. A hot woman and a cold beer will put all this in proper perspective."
#3488378 - 01/05/12 10:39 PM Re: Trying to get into Tank Simming [Re: ChwyNiblet]  
RogueSnake Offline
RogueSnake  Offline

Ky USA
Well, maybe he was just joking lol. Too much internets from me, I guess I need a break.

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality."
Jules de Gaultier
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.