OK, here's me and my wild idea...
What if you (CH devs) could release a very small sample to wet our appetite? My real life experience with businesses, retail and customer/client concepts tell me this is often a successful way of attracting people towards your product and creating a motivation to invest in your product. A sort of trial version and yet no trial. I know I'm sounding like I'm on something right now so let me explain what I mean.
* One flyable area only, e.g. a shooting range.
* Area of max. 4km by 4km.
* Limited fuel which only allows a max. time on station of 30 minutes.
* Limited ordnance consisting of max. 300rds. and two pods each carrying max. 8 rockets with only one type of warhead available.
* No real targets like insurgents and technicals, just stationary practice targets like found on a shooting range.
* Full functioning Apache except for systems which are not yet developed or limited by the above.
+ Give people a little more than video clips and sceenshots to really see what a great product is being constructed in your 2 man workshop.
+ Have them beg for more to come, convince them the provide funding so you have yourself some more space.
+ Every hardware is different, if bugs start to appear this might give you new insights in the programming long before you're about to release a near-complete product.
+ Downloadeable through a simple and cheap hosting service that offers nothing but a large data throughput, no publishers or whatsoever needed.
- Requires top notch built-in security to prevent unlocking of the limitations and further development of the game for the freeware and/or warez market, because then you're definitely done!
- You would need a way of handling incoming comments because it'll probably start raining feedback (pos. and neg.) the moment you make the download available.
- You fill in the rest...
- Spouse already downloading PDF templates of divorce papers... Children complaining daddy's always busy lately.
Like I said in the opening of this post, it's just a wild idea. Perhaps you already had something similar in mind, perhaps not. Just give it some thought and tell me why my idea is a bad one.