Forums » SimHQ Community » RC & Scale Modeling » R/C Helicopters: What Next? Active Topics You are not logged in. [Log In] [Register User]
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#3470978 - 12/09/11 02:31 PM R/C Helicopters: What Next?
HitchHikingFlatlander Offline

Loc: California
So I've owned and dialed in my skills on a very stable Syma S107 (indoor heli) and its big brother the S032 (outdoor heli). I'd now like to move up to the next best thing something twice as fast and twice as agile. The Syma S032 leaves a lot to be desired as an outdoor heli, its slow and even the slightest .25mph wind will drag it down field or down the street. To counter this I add a little bit of weight to the nose but even still flight is slow going until I initiate a slight turn in forward flight.

I'm OK with the performance of the Syma Heli's after all they are for beginners and supposed to be forgiving and easy to fly. At this point though I've grown perfectly comfortable with my ability to pilot and what to take a small step up. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a successor to the S032?

I know R/C is not a cheap hobby but I'm hoping something is available for under $100. The amount of fun for $20 in a Syma S107 or $30 in a S032 can't be beat in terms of bang for buck. I need something that is RTF and if nothing is out there in that price range I may just buy a few more Syma helis.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

A casual west coast Black Shark/A-10C Squadron always looking for extra pilots and good times!

#3471225 - 12/09/11 09:26 PM Re: R/C Helicopters: What Next? [Re: HitchHikingFlatlander]
Desert_Ranger Offline

Can I assume you're looking to go tail rotor (not coaxial)? I ask cuz at a price of less than $100 you're pretty much limiting yourself to micro coaxial helis. If you're looking for something that can handle a 25mph wind (btw, since when is 25mph considered slight Smile2) then you're going to be spending a good deal more than $100 I'm afraid.....and it's probably not going to be coax, or an indoor heli. If you can manage $130 then I'd recommend the Blade mSR from E-Flite which is a fixed pitch tail rotor micro heli that is surprisingly stable and is the next step up from coax. It comes in both BNF and RTF packages. The mSR can't handle much wind tho, but again, you're not going to get much of an outdoor heli for less than $300-$450 or so, and that's just for the heli....you'll need to provide a radio and probably some of the electronics.

I wish you luck in your search, but I don't think there's much available for under $100.

#3472181 - 12/11/11 08:24 PM Re: R/C Helicopters: What Next? [Re: HitchHikingFlatlander]

Thanks for the honest response, I was afraid that would be the answer so it doesn't sting that bad. I think for now I'll stick to the price range I'm in, can't justify (to my wife LOL) spending that much on a R/C after all the cash I spend on my simpit! I'll keep my eye out for deals tho maybe I can pick up a decent one at a bargain price.

Thanks Again!

A casual west coast Black Shark/A-10C Squadron always looking for extra pilots and good times!

#3474566 - 12/15/11 09:37 AM Re: R/C Helicopters: What Next? [Re: HitchHikingFlatlander]
KRT_Bong Offline
It's KRT not Kurt

Loc: Gulf Coast of Florida
I have been sniffing around this hobby myself. My Father Flies Giant Scale mostly WWI some Golden Age stuff you know old R/C guys they trade and haggle my old man always has cool toys. He got a micro Revell Proto Co-axial that I have been eying and playing with every time I come over and so I started looking and actually the Revell is a repackaged chinese made model of the Nine-Eagles brand which you can buy at 30 bucks a piece but I digress, what I wanted was a stable beginners Helo but something I wouldn't get easily bored with. My Roomie has a Walkera that he knocked off a table and broke before he ever got to fly it and it is not a micro, you won't be flying it in the house. I wouldn't mind something I can fly inside but on a calm day outside would be cool so here's a few that I found based on the idea of a first time helo that anyone can fly,

http://www.xenonproject.com/rc-helicopters/electric/double-horse-9104-big-gyro-p-38378.html

http://www.walkeraofamerica.com/walkera-5-10-wk2403-2.aspx

found it here real cheap, but out of stock
http://www.xheli.com/wa5me4xcorar.html

note that these have spare parts readily available
http://www.xheli.com/67h-9053-volitationheli.html

Now I haven't decided anything and the Roomie thinks I should buy a Race Truck instead because Helos are Hard to Fly
but I'm the one with all the Flight Sims and the HOTAS and Pedals under my desk so I'm researching to get the best price and the right model. Buyer beware though there are a lot of drop shipper sites out there and the delivery comes from China, it will be cheap but it may take a month to deliver and who knows on the shipping charges.
This Xheli.com site seems to have reasonable prices and lots of choices.

Edited by KRT_Bong (12/15/11 09:55 AM)
ATI HD 5830 1Gb 256 bit it was cheap
4 x 1Gb GSkill 1333Mhz looks pretty on the MB
X-Fi Xtreme Creative Soundcard - cheap pair of headphones

Pray for Obama _Psalm 109 7-10

#3474837 - 12/15/11 03:48 PM Re: R/C Helicopters: What Next? [Re: KRT_Bong]
Desert_Ranger Offline

Well, I stand corrected - apparently there are tail rotor helis for under $100. I will say this tho - as a mostly consistent rule you get what you pay for. Yes, some brands may be over-priced but usually those that are priced low are priced low for a reason. So I echo your warning - buyer beware!! A 28" RTF heli for only $80 is a red flag to me, as in, there's alot of something cheap going on here and cheap usually means difficult/poor flying which is the #1 or #2 reason people are turned-off from the hobby. That said, I could be wrong - the 9104 might fly just fine. I would strongly recommend finding some user reviews before buying, and maybe some actual flight footage as well. There are just too many gimmicks out there. (BTW, even a 28" heli can't handle much wind)

ps. Helicopters may be harder to fly than fixed wing, but with the right start they really aren't that bad, especially if your interest is scale and basic flight. 3D flying is, of course, more challenging. You mention getting easily bored and I will admit coaxial helis can get boring pretty quickly, but they are good throttle training. Jumping right in to tail-rotor helis can be very difficult, and expensive, and discouraging. And remember - every flight sim, HOTAS, and pedal combination in the world can't fully teach RC flight.

pps. if you do decide to purchase the 9104 I hope you'll post a review copter

#3474855 - 12/15/11 04:11 PM Re: R/C Helicopters: What Next? [Re: Desert_Ranger]
KRT_Bong Offline
It's KRT not Kurt

Originally Posted By: Desert_Ranger
Well, I stand corrected - apparently there are tail rotor helis for under $100. I will say this tho - as a mostly consistent rule you get what you pay for. Yes, some brands may be over-priced but usually those that are priced low are priced low for a reason. So I echo your warning - buyer beware!! A 28" RTF heli for only $80 is a red flag to me, as in, there's alot of something cheap going on here and cheap usually means difficult/poor flying which is the #1 or #2 reason people are turned-off from the hobby. That said, I could be wrong - the 9104 might fly just fine. I would strongly recommend finding some user reviews before buying, and maybe some actual flight footage as well. There are just too many gimmicks out there. (BTW, even a 28" heli can't handle much wind)

ps. Helicopters may be harder to fly than fixed wing, but with the right start they really aren't that bad, especially if your interest is scale and basic flight. 3D flying is, of course, more challenging. You mention getting easily bored and I will admit coaxial helis can get boring pretty quickly, but they are good throttle training. Jumping right in to tail-rotor helis can be very difficult, and expensive, and discouraging. And remember - every flight sim, HOTAS, and pedal combination in the world can't fully teach RC flight.

pps. if you do decide to purchase the 9104 I hope you'll post a review copter

Well I went into a new Hobby Shop here in town and I bought one of the Revell Proto co-ax just to satisfy my immediate fix, If this one is enjoyable I'll order the other and I will write a review but right now I'm having a blast with the micro.

#3474943 - 12/15/11 06:33 PM Re: R/C Helicopters: What Next? [Re: HitchHikingFlatlander]

I might look into the Double Horse you linked KRT_BONG seems like I could take a chance with it and it also offers the level of stability while upping the speed and maneuverability.

With the Syma brand I've been flying I really think the biggest culprit is the gyro. Common sense tells me that the heli is constantly fighting it while trying to fly forward and backwards. Even with some considerable weight taped to the nose the heli still trys to level itself out . Speaking of adding weight, I believe that's whats causing many a crash. I'm probably taking this thing outside of its safe parameters which in turn causes a blade collision then crash. I've snapped the tail section and just the other night broke a 1/2" of a blade which is causing pretty violent shaking.

I love these helis because they're priced right with decent quality airframes. If I break it one I don't feel like crying, maybe that's what is holding me back from moving up to more expensive helis.

Thanks again for the links and discussion.

#3474986 - 12/15/11 07:58 PM Re: R/C Helicopters: What Next? [Re: HitchHikingFlatlander]
KRT_Bong Offline
It's KRT not Kurt

Well Helicopters are prone to breakage, it's just part of the nature of the thing. Trying to fly with a blade out of balance will only break more things, I've already knocked the fly-bar off twice. Being a lightweight design you can pretty much shut it off 6 feet in the air and it will just bounce so when you have a collision with the wall, curtains and the errant lampshade it's the best thing to do to prevent damage. The Double Horse is obviously a bit bigger than the one Im playing with now so the chance of running into things is that much more critical and that should be best outside with an over 20" Rotor, there are also some videos of mods to make it work better

and here's the other single Rotor

these are 3 channel helos they cant roll (aileron axis)

Quite honestly I'm disappointed these don't come in a 4 channel model or a lockable 4th channel for beginner/intermediate operation. Without the 4th channel you cant do certain maneuvers like funnels and sideways flight.

Edited by KRT_Bong (12/16/11 10:26 AM)

#3475620 - 12/16/11 08:59 PM Re: R/C Helicopters: What Next? [Re: HitchHikingFlatlander]

Spotted the DH 9104 at amazon for $56 and free shipping!

http://www.amazon.com/Double-Horse-9104-...6901&sr=8-1

Maybe I can get one after X-Mas, if so I'll try and do a mini review and get some video! Actually I still need to get video of my Syma S032 but need new rotor blades first. Any case I think for the price I can't go wrong taking a chance and it seems to get favorable reviews too.

#3476625 - 12/18/11 05:23 PM Re: R/C Helicopters: What Next? [Re: HitchHikingFlatlander]
KRT_Bong Offline
It's KRT not Kurt

There are quite a few videos of those out there for modding and tweaking for more control.

Edited by KRT_Bong (12/18/11 05:30 PM)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:

Moderator:  EinsteinEP, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grand Budapest Hotel
by PanzerMeyer
MiG-21 v F-4E (DCS)
by Ryujin
Two pretty good WW1 books about the troops on the ground.
by Li'lJugs
10:33 PM
DCS - MiGs vs Hogs
by Security_Device_Enclosed
10:15 PM
Always Played PC Games ..... Console Games Must Have Fake Looking Environments/Graphic
s

by Haggart
09:39 PM
A Latin beat would do this song justice!
by letterboy1
09:08 PM
Request of mission makers:
by Chris2525
07:23 PM
Thinking Of Upgrading GPU for DCS World
by PFunk
06:48 PM
Luftwaffe Gun Camera BoS
by IIN8II
06:23 PM
Death Star trench run training.
by Timothy
06:00 PM

Forum Use Agreement | Privacy Statement
Copyright 1997-2014, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.