Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3468445 - 12/05/11 08:47 PM Skyrim is broken is will never get fixed......NEVER !!!  
Blade_RJ Offline
Simhq Weather man, dropping rain in your parade
Blade_RJ  Offline
Hotshot

brasil
http://www.gamersmint.com/ps3-skyrim-lag-problems-unlikely-to-be-solved-dev-comments

Quote:
It appears the memory and lag problems that many PS3 users who’ve played Skyrim for a prolonged period of time are unlikely to get a permanent solution. This can be deduced after reading through a developer’s clarification who’s worked on New Vegas explaining the problem.

For the uninitiated, Fallout: New Vegas- another title produced by Bethesda suffered from the same framerate drops and lag issues as their newest title The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is.

Answering a question from a user who’s faced a similar lag problem in New Vegas after his save file went up to 14 megs, the developer said that it’s a major problem, especially on the PS3, offering the following explanation.

That can easily be a big problem, especially if you’re on the PS3. The longer you play a character, the more bit differences on objects (characters, pencils on tables, containers, etc.) get saved off and carried around in memory. I think we’ve seen save games that are pushing 19 megs, which can be really crippling in some areas.

Since you’re a developer, you should understand the implication of what I wrote. It’s an engine-level issue with how the save game data is stored off as bit flag differences compared to the placed instances in the main .esm + DLC .esms. As the game modifies any placed instance of an object, those changes are stored off into what is essentially another .esm. When you load the save game, you’re loading all of those differences into resident memory.

It’s not like someone wrote a function and put a decimal point in the wrong place or declared something as a float when it should have been an int. We’re talking about how the engine fundamentally saves off and references data at run time. Restructuring how that works would require a large time commitment. Obsidian also only had that engine for a total of 18 months prior to F:NV being released, which is a relatively short time to understand all of the details of how the technology works.

He further confirmed that these problems are only common with PS3 users as the console has a divided memory pool.

As with Fallout 3 and Skyrim, the problems are most pronounced on the PS3 because the PS3 has a divided memory pool.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3468486 - 12/05/11 10:02 PM Re: Skyrim is broken is will never get fixed......NEVER !!! [Re: Blade_RJ]  
coasty Offline
coasty  Offline

Asheville, NC, USA
what is a ps3? It runs great on my ASUS PC. everything else is irrelevant...

Have you seen the Arrow? WWW
#3468497 - 12/05/11 10:11 PM Re: Skyrim is broken is will never get fixed......NEVER !!! [Re: Blade_RJ]  
Moses Offline
I have a Rather Large
Moses  Offline
I have a Rather Large

Tulsa, Ok, USA
I dont play games on my 2 PS3's

Jeff "Moses" Malone
Proud Member of 195th Dambusters Virtual Squadron.
http://561stbms.enjin.com/
#3468504 - 12/05/11 10:21 PM Re: Skyrim is broken is will never get fixed......NEVER !!! [Re: Blade_RJ]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
console forum?

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#3468526 - 12/05/11 10:59 PM Re: Skyrim is broken is will never get fixed......NEVER !!! [Re: Blade_RJ]  
Blade_RJ Offline
Blade_RJ  Offline
Hotshot

brasil
it affects all plataforms, more so on ps3.

#3468531 - 12/05/11 11:07 PM Re: Skyrim is broken is will never get fixed......NEVER !!! [Re: Blade_RJ]  
Section_Eight Offline
Section_Eight  Offline

South Carolina
Originally Posted By: Blade_RJ

From your own article...

"He further confirmed that these problems are only common with PS3 users as the console has a divided memory pool"

Also, Runs fine on my PC....Quit trying to get a rise out of people.

#3468536 - 12/05/11 11:12 PM Re: Skyrim is broken is will never get fixed......NEVER !!! [Re: Blade_RJ]  
Mace71 Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Mace71  Offline
Dread pirate Mace
Veteran

Darlington, UK.
Runs fine on my PC. Big boy games like Skyrim should never have been made console anyway.

Antec 902 | Intel i7 920 2.66Ghz OC'd to 3.40GHz | MSI GeForce GTX 660 Black Knight 2048MB GDDR5 | Corsair 6GB DDR3 | Coolermaster V8 CPU Cooler | W7 64

"There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing." Aristotle
#3468556 - 12/05/11 11:45 PM Re: Skyrim is broken is will never get fixed......NEVER !!! [Re: Section_Eight]  
Blade_RJ Offline
Blade_RJ  Offline
Hotshot

brasil
Originally Posted By: Section_Eight
Originally Posted By: Blade_RJ

From your own article...

"He further confirmed that these problems are only common with PS3 users as the console has a divided memory pool"

Also, Runs fine on my PC....Quit trying to get a rise out of people.

all plataforms, he said common as in repetition,not exclusivity, it can and does happen on xbox360 tough there is a fix around, and it could happen on pc if you guys are really putting that mny hours to it, but i doubt it, i dont think we will see a savegame that big to affect pc,i have lots of junk at the house problably more then 200 itens in the same room,with no performance hit.

and get a rise out of people ? meeeeeeee ? what tiped you off,dang i knew i should not use caps in the title.

#3468599 - 12/06/11 01:32 AM Re: Skyrim is broken is will never get fixed......NEVER !!! [Re: Blade_RJ]  
No Name Offline
Veteran
No Name  Offline
Veteran

Agree with blade on this. Bethesda should be ashamed for continuing to allow such sloppy execution to mar th eir amazing games.
Can't make it work properly on PS3? Then dont release it on that platform and dupe people out of their money! They need to get their asses sued for knowlingly releasing such a broken product, at least oc PS3, if indeed it cant be fixed.

Mobo ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME (REV 3.0)
Memory CORSAIR XMS3 8GB DDR3
GPU 2 EVGA 680 FTW 4GB
CPU Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz)
Drives 2 HITACHI Deskstar 3TB 2 Crucial 256 GB SSD Displays 3 HP ZR30w 30" monitors
UPS Cyberpower PP2200SW
PSU Antec High Current Pro HCP-1200 1200W
Case COOLER MASTER CM Storm Trooper
Drive LITE-ON Black 12X Blu-ray
CPU cooler Noctua 6 Dual Heatpipe
Fans COOLER MASTER SickleFlow 120
OS Windows 7 Premium
#3468601 - 12/06/11 01:38 AM Re: Skyrim is broken is will never get fixed......NEVER !!! [Re: Mace71]  
No Name Offline
Veteran
No Name  Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: MaceUK33
Runs fine on my PC. Big boy games like Skyrim should never have been made console anyway.

Would that this were true. This "big boy game" was built from the ground up with console limitations in mind, which explains the mediocre (at least for a triple A 2011 title) graphics, clunky UI, and general lack of optimizaion for the hardware capabilities of todays computers (i.e., nonative usage of 4gb). Unlike BF3, The PC got no love at all. Big boy gameworld and ideas, console kiddie tech. And i dont say this as a hater, b/c Oblivion is one of my favorite games. I was ready to love Skyrim.

Last edited by peppergomez; 12/06/11 01:39 AM.

GPU 2 EVGA 680 FTW 4GB
Drives 2 HITACHI Deskstar 3TB 2 Crucial 256 GB SSD Displays 3 HP ZR30w 30" monitors
UPS Cyberpower PP2200SW
OS Windows 7 Premium
#3468623 - 12/06/11 02:31 AM Re: Skyrim is broken is will never get fixed......NEVER !!! [Re: Blade_RJ]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
Right in our own backyards, people get murdered, raped, looted. Abused and mutilated. People do drugs, hate, spread prejudice and lies. The world has many problems. DON'T GET WORKED UP OVER A CODING ISSUE IN A VIDEO GAME. There are better things to fight against and get angry over. Bethesda doesn't need to be ashamed over making a product a lot of people enjoy. The guys who invented things like parachute pants and medieval iron maidens should be ashamed.

If we took all the anger, hate, and annoyance on the internet and used it to fuel spacecraft we could have made it to Kepler-22B yesterday. deadhorse

Thank you and good night smile

Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
#3468687 - 12/06/11 05:21 AM Re: Skyrim is broken is will never get fixed......NEVER !!! [Re: Blade_RJ]  
Blade_RJ Offline
Blade_RJ  Offline
Hotshot

brasil
OH they do, i read they couldnt code ladders into their engine, so there are none in their games, i laught and point at them.

#3468866 - 12/06/11 03:40 PM Re: Skyrim is broken is will never get fixed......NEVER !!! [Re: Blade_RJ]  
JoeyJoJo Offline
Wurkin' man
JoeyJoJo  Offline
Wurkin' man
Hotshot

Colorado high-country
I think Bethsoft's problem is they rely too much on the modding community to fix their f-ups. Look at every single game based on the Gamebryo engine; they all have community patches made by 3rd-parties that fix well known, reproducable bugs in every one of their games; yet Bethsoft releases DLC instead...Then you go on their forums and you're lucky if you actually see a dev comment on ANYTHING (usually it's just some moderator giving out a warning for cussing Bethsoft out lol). Then they give these little "updates" on the progress of the patches and DLC and still common bugs are not even addressed or mentioned.

And this is only for the PC, what about the console players that are still stuck with some of these game-breaking bugs and they can't just DL a mod to fix them?

If/when the modding community gets fed up and stops fixing THEIR games they will stop PC support altogether and go strictly consoles (no surprise really)

#3468869 - 12/06/11 03:44 PM Re: Skyrim is broken is will never get fixed......NEVER !!! [Re: Peally]  
JoeyJoJo Offline
Wurkin' man
JoeyJoJo  Offline
Wurkin' man
Hotshot

Colorado high-country
Originally Posted By: Peally
Right in our own backyards, people get murdered, raped, looted. Abused and mutilated. People do drugs, hate, spread prejudice and lies. The world has many problems. DON'T GET WORKED UP OVER A CODING ISSUE IN A VIDEO GAME. There are better things to fight against and get angry over. Bethesda doesn't need to be ashamed over making a product a lot of people enjoy. The guys who invented things like parachute pants and medieval iron maidens should be ashamed.

If we took all the anger, hate, and annoyance on the internet and used it to fuel spacecraft we could have made it to Kepler-22B yesterday. deadhorse

I think we realize there are a lot worse problems in the world...in fact one of mine is limited expendable income. So after saving some extra money to buy a $60 game (which is about the same I spend on groceries when I go to the market); I expect it to freaking work, and not have tons of problems and bugs that are obvious, and have to rely on a modders to fix it for free on their free time.

If we wanted to talk about murders, rape, robberies, etc. then we go to the PWEC forum, but as it stands we're talking about Bethesda and Skyrim...so why the off-topic rant?

#3468887 - 12/06/11 04:06 PM Re: Skyrim is broken is will never get fixed......NEVER !!! [Re: Peally]  
No Name Offline
Veteran
No Name  Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Peally

Well, by that logic, SimHQ really holds no relevance for you because most threads here are about video games, and not the problems of the world. Maybe you should find another place to post, or stick to the WCE forum?

GPU 2 EVGA 680 FTW 4GB
UPS Cyberpower PP2200SW
OS Windows 7 Premium
#3468906 - 12/06/11 04:27 PM Re: Skyrim is broken is will never get fixed......NEVER !!! [Re: Blade_RJ]  
SkateZilla Offline
Skate Zilla Graphics
SkateZilla  Offline
Skate Zilla Graphics
Veteran

Virginia Beach, VA
The solution is to stay away from the PS3

HAF922, Corsair RM850, ASRock Fata1ity 990FX Pro,
Modified Corsair H100, AMD FX8350 @ 5.31GHz, 16GB G.SKILL@DDR2133,
2x R7970 Lightnings, +1 HD7950 @ 1.1/6.0GHz, Creative XFi Fata1ity Platinum Champ.,
3x ASUS VS248HP + Hanns�G HZ201HPB + Acer AL2002 (5760x1080+1600x900+1680x1050), Oculus Rift CV
CH Fighterstick, Pro Throt., Pro Pedals, TM Warthog & MFDs, Fanatec CSR Wheel/Shifter, Elite Pedals
Intensity Pro 10-Bit, TrackIR 4 Pro, WD Black 1.5TB, WD Black 640GB, Samsung 850 500GB, My Book 4TB
#3468912 - 12/06/11 04:36 PM Re: Skyrim is broken is will never get fixed......NEVER !!! [Re: SkateZilla]  
JoeyJoJo Offline
Wurkin' man
JoeyJoJo  Offline
Wurkin' man
Hotshot

Colorado high-country
Originally Posted By: SkateZilla
The solution is to stay away from the PS3

Actually it would be not to buy any more Bethsoft products until they change their "ways"; but I think yours is definitely more realistic biggrin

#3469025 - 12/06/11 07:30 PM Re: Skyrim is broken is will never get fixed......NEVER !!! [Re: No Name]  
Peally Offline
Hotshot
Peally  Offline
Hotshot

Wisconsin, USA
Originally Posted By: peppergomez
Well, by that logic, Simhq really holds no relevance for you because most threads here are about video games, and not the problems of the world. Maybe you should find another place to post, or stick to the WCE forum?

Au contraire mon frère! I enjoy SimHQ for its member's intelligence, a feature which due to what can only be human nature (or Sasquatch) happens to be incredibly rare on the internet. Perhaps I came on heavier than I intended, but it's not a big deal if software doesn't work out of the box when consumers have free will. Most things either get fixed over time or fall by the wayside. Even if someone buys something they end up not liking, there's always eBay to make a buck back from. The complaining just gets really old. I apologize if my opinions offended anyone, but that's life!

Scully: Victim died of multiple stab wounds.
Mulder: *throws her a file* Ever heard of the knife alien?
#3469038 - 12/06/11 07:37 PM Re: Skyrim is broken is will never get fixed......NEVER !!! [Re: Blade_RJ]  
Bib4Tuna Offline
I will take you to Jabba
Bib4Tuna  Offline
I will take you to Jabba

NC, USA
New Bethesda update on their Blog:

Quote:
Updated 12/6: While the 1.2 update fixed the long-term play issues for most PS3 users, we are aware that is not the case for some. We’ve been reaching out to a number of those users to collect save games, so we can take a look at their specific issues. Right now we know it’s not one thing, but a combination of smaller ones that some folks are seeing, but others are not. Some seem to be the PS3 autosaving in the background (you can turn that off), some may be SPU AI updates, and some may relate to dynamic system memory allocation. These fixes are not in the current 1.3 update that is in final testing, but will be in future ones. We understand how frustrating it can be when your game is having issues, and we thank all of you for your continued feedback and patience. Rest assured we take your gameplay experience seriously and will continue working on this until it’s resolved

#3469217 - 12/06/11 11:19 PM Re: Skyrim is broken is will never get fixed......NEVER !!! [Re: Blade_RJ]  
JAMF Offline
Frugalite & P-38 fan
JAMF  Offline
Frugalite & P-38 fan

The Netherlands
So glancing over this thread, it's not broken, like the OP states, but merely suffering from a bug? If it were broken, you couldn't finish the game... it'd stop working before the end. Does it do that?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.