Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#3438876 - 11/21/11 10:29 PM CoD Offline Tournament! The RAF CoD Ace is...drum roll...  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
The 2011 Tournament is complete, but you can still download and play through the missions at your own pace! The best efforts to date have been:

RAF
AJAY: 17 victories
JIMBOP: 16 victories

LW
SOLARIAN: 21 victories
CHEESEHAWK: 19 victories
DIRECTXXX: 14 victories

Post your score on this thread.

DOWNLOAD AND PLAY IN THE COD OFFLINE TOURNAMENT NOW! Easy self installing missions: http://www.box.com/s/mbl65u8uvtoaemgti2ns

Screenshots from missions:

16 (8RAF + 8LW) specially designed offline missions which together form a tournament that you can fly at your own pace and in your own time.

The challenge is three-fold:

- Fly each mission in the tournament at your usual realism settings
- Score as many victories as you can with your pilot
- Keep your wingman alive

Complete the 8 missions and tally up your victories!

Some missions include bonus challenges, such as bringing down enemy bombers, protecting your own bombers or attacking ground targets.

You choose your own side and aircraft...the defaults are either the RAF/Spitfire IIa, or the Luftwaffe/Bf109e4, but the aircraft and number of opponents are customisable to your taste.

RULES

You should fly each mission only twice: once for practice, and once for real. The best of your two missions can be submitted. If you are shot down in the mission, no victories count. You must move on to the next mission. The only other rules are you MUST fly with limited ammo and vulnerability ON!

PSEUDO-DYNAMIC(TM) MISSION DIFFICULTY wink

Missions and enemies increase in difficulty as you progress. You start against fewer, slower, weaker opponents. You finish in all out melees against the Luftwaffe's finest.

You are not flying alone - your wingman ('Fatty' for RAF or 'Fritz' for LW) is at your side. Try not to lose him. Losing your wingman is bad karma. He is a tough nut, and if he is shot down he will walk, swim or limp back so that he is with you again for your next mission, but you will lose 1 victory each time he is shot down.

Your wingman's skill and aggression will increase as you progress. Fatty starts mission 1 as a timid undisciplined Rookie, and ends as an aggressive and disciplined Veteran.

BUT I DON'T KNOW HOW TO INSTALL CUSTOM MISSIONS![/b]

The tournament download includes a self-installer/uninstaller. Just point it at the CoD Folder on your hard drive and it will do the rest for you, installing the missions and any skins needed. The missions will appear in your Single Missions menu. If you get stuck, someone here will talk you through it.

[Linked Image]
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3438917 - 11/21/11 11:32 PM Re: Register here now for the CoD Honour Tournament! [Re: HeinKill]  
ATAG_Snapper Offline
ATAG_Snapper  Offline

Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
This looks like fun. I'm in! thumbsup

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit, Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 512.95, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
#3438924 - 11/21/11 11:47 PM Re: Register here now for the CoD Honour Tournament! [Re: ATAG_Snapper]  
cheesehawk Offline
cheesehawk  Offline

CA, USA
Only question I have, will there be different catagories based off Realism levels? Seems rough if you fly with limited ammo to compete with unlimited.

#3438954 - 11/22/11 12:29 AM Re: Register here now for the CoD Honour Tournament! [Re: HeinKill]  
charlo Offline
charlo  Offline

Los Angeles, CA, USA
Now watching this topic for updates and links to the missions. cool

Charlo

i7-950 OC to 4 GHz CPU
Asus P6X58D-E X58 MB
Sapphire HD 7950 OC 3GB GCU
Windows 7 Ult. 64 bit
======
MacBook Pro Core2Duo 2.66 GHz
http://i49.tinypic.com/j8zkzr.png
#3439521 - 11/22/11 07:20 PM Re: Register here now for the CoD Honour Tournament! [Re: cheesehawk]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
Originally Posted By: cheesehawk
Only question I have, will there be different catagories based off Realism levels? Seems rough if you fly with limited ammo to compete with unlimited.

Absolutely right, we should agree minimum realism settings to avoid unrealistic kill tallies. Even flyers like Wick and Deere only claimed two or three kills per sortie...in a BoBII tournament one of our flyers claimed Six kills in one mission - but he had the film to prove it (one fighter he shot down took out two bombers on its way down!)

No unlimited ammo is definitely a rule we should add.
And No invulnerability, of course.

What else...remembering we want to keep it open to players of all skill levels.

Fuel will not be an issue, these are quick dogfights.

What about clouds off. I have just designed one of the later missions with medium cloud to make the targets harder to find, but would 'no clouds off' be going too far? Don't want to create too many rules.

H

[Linked Image]
#3439527 - 11/22/11 07:23 PM Re: Register here now for the CoD Honour Tournament! [Re: ATAG_Snapper]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
Originally Posted By: ATAG_Snapper

Feel free to invite your fellow ATAGers...a difference from online flying is that keeping a novice AI like Fatty alive adds that extra element of challenge to becoming the leading ace! You might score one kill per mission for a nice total of ten, but if Fatty is shot down ten times your total score is zero!

[Linked Image]
#3439585 - 11/22/11 08:36 PM Re: Register here now for the CoD Honour Tournament! [Re: HeinKill]  
ATAG_Snapper Offline
ATAG_Snapper  Offline

Originally Posted By: HeinKill
Originally Posted By: ATAG_Snapper

Feel free to invite your fellow ATAGers...a difference from online flying is that keeping a novice AI like Fatty alive adds that extra element of challenge to becoming the leading ace! You might score one kill per mission for a nice total of ten, but if Fatty is shot down ten times your total score is zero!

Done!

Posted this over at the ATAG forum:

Keep Fatty Alive!!!
This is just a fun OFFline challenge that my fellow SimHQ member, Heinkill, has offered us. Details here (including the reason I titled this thread "Keep Fatty Alive"! )

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.ph...ml#Post3438876

Heinkill has built an excellent track record in providing excellent offline CoD missions that are based on actual Battle of Britain engagements. He even provides a simple installer that effectively places the mission folders where you point it (ie. 1C Softclub Single Missions).

It's just for fun and glory, but I've found his missions well thought out, challenging, and great practice.

-- Snapper

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit, Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 512.95, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
#3439624 - 11/22/11 09:25 PM Re: Register here now for the CoD Honour Tournament! [Re: HeinKill]  
cheesehawk Offline
cheesehawk  Offline

CA, USA
Build us a Luftwhiner version too? smile Pretty please!

#3439699 - 11/22/11 11:09 PM Re: Register here now for the CoD Honour Tournament! [Re: cheesehawk]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
Build us a Luftwhiner version too? smile Pretty please!

Could do...they could run at the same time, but the two tournaments would have to have separate winners as the mission designs would be different ...might take a bit more time of course...I could limit each tournament to 8 missions instead of ten...hmmm...nope, nope, can't be done...when could I possibly find the time...oh, all right!

An RAF ace tournament and a Luftwaffe ace tournament? Why not?

It should center around the Bf109, but which marque? E3? E4? Or do you Luftwhiffy loons want to duke it out in Bf110s?

H

And for the wingman in the Luftwaffe Tournament, I think...yes...it should be FRITZ.

[Linked Image]
#3439740 - 11/23/11 12:04 AM Re: Register here now for the CoD Honour Tournament! [Re: HeinKill]  
cheesehawk Offline
cheesehawk  Offline

CA, USA
I'm shooting Fritz down on takeoff as a matter of principle! I think his defection was the real reason for losing BoB, and hence, the entire war!

My computer looks to be down for a few days/weeks, take your time on the LW version of the competition, I know how long it takes to make things like this.

Make the 109 the players choice which version, the FM's are the same, its just the gunnery that different. I think most fly either the E-4 or the E-1, at least online that seems to be the case.

~S!

Last edited by cheesehawk; 11/23/11 12:05 AM.
#3439753 - 11/23/11 12:19 AM Re: Register here now for the CoD Honour Tournament! [Re: HeinKill]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
Ok im in smile

So are we locked in cockpit or not ? No outside views ? Outside versus locked will make a huge difference .. and why does Fatty have a Hurri biggrin

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#3439907 - 11/23/11 06:43 AM Re: Register here now for the CoD Honour Tournament! [Re: HeinKill]  
JG13_Doggles Offline
JG13_Doggles  Offline

Quote:
Absolutely right, we should agree minimum realism settings to avoid unrealistic kill tallies. Even flyers like Wick and Deere only claimed two or three kills per sortie...in a BoBII tournament one of our flyers claimed Six kills in one mission - but he had the film to prove it (one fighter he shot down took out two bombers on its way down!)
I've had a few "Ace-in-a-day" sorties on ATAG (full real) flying the 109. One time I got 9 Blenheims and two fighters. I don't say this to toot my own horn, only to caution that it's possible to score some very high tallies if you shoot well and are conservative with your ammo.

Last edited by JG13_Doggles; 11/23/11 06:43 AM.
#3460321 - 11/23/11 03:43 PM Re: Register here now for the CoD Honour Tournament! [Re: Ajay]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
Originally Posted By: Ajay
Ok im in smile

So are we locked in cockpit or not ? No outside views ? Outside versus locked will make a huge difference .. and why does Fatty have a Hurri biggrin

I think some things need to still be at discretion of player. Less experienced players need outside view and padlock to identify enemies, just as they might need labels...but if we can agree no unlimited ammo, vulnerability on, then you still have to get your (limited supply of) lead on target to score a kill, plus your own life is on the line.

And Fatty did his first solo in a Hurri...but as we speak he is nervously taking his check ride in the Spit IIa! It will be lucky if he can take off, let alone land, in the first couple of missions.

H

PS Have been putting a lot of hours into experimenting with the AI parameters to simulate Fatty gaining experience as the tournament progresses. I think this is something which the devs seem to have done which actually does have an impact on the way the the AI pilot flies, which is important considering we still can't give them commands. I am customising Fatty's skill level for every mission and I can really see a difference in his behaviour/success depending on what I tweak in his skill profile.)

[Linked Image]
#3460325 - 11/23/11 03:48 PM Re: Register here now for the CoD Honour Tournament! [Re: cheesehawk]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based

Make the 109 the players choice which version, the FM's are the same, its just the gunnery that different. I think most fly either the E-4 or the E-1, at least online that seems to be the case.

~S!

I'll go with the E4 as default then, because the Spit IIa is default in the RAF tournament. Though personally I would choose the Bf110C, remembering that no matter how I tweak them, these are still CoD AI opponents. More firepower = more kills, even in a kite that corners like a '76 Caddy!

[Linked Image]
#3460329 - 11/23/11 03:50 PM Re: Register here now for the CoD Honour Tournament! [Re: HeinKill]  
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
bisher  Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Manitoba, Canada
Interesting stuff HeinKill

#3460537 - 11/23/11 08:24 PM Re: Register here now for the CoD Honour Tournament! [Re: HeinKill]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
Hope you join in Bisher...

BTW I was in Toronto a couple of weeks ago. Staying at a hotel near the Rogers Center with a view out my window to a huge screen showing the Leafs game. I think they won (not that you'd care as a Jets fan?), though for an Aussie it's hard to know. I do like the fact that the Canadian national sporting obsession is as violent as our own.

Although, funny enough, someone told me once the official 'Canadian national sport' is lacrosse...tell me it isn't so?

H

[Linked Image]
#3460675 - 11/23/11 10:59 PM Re: Register here now for the CoD Honour Tournament! [Re: HeinKill]  
ATAG_Snapper Offline
ATAG_Snapper  Offline

Lacrosse truly is Canada's national sport. It was played originally by the fierce Iroquois and Huron tribes in a huge area now comprised by the provinces of Quebec and Ontario. The game was toned down significantly when the hard rawhide lacrosse ball was modified by the artisan Nerf tribe from the Awe Phucket Indian Nation.

#3460793 - 11/24/11 02:10 AM Re: Register here now for the CoD Honour Tournament! [Re: HeinKill]  
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
bisher  Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Manitoba, Canada
It's true, what Snapper said, though it's the first time I've heard of the Awe Phucket Indian Nation.

#3460880 - 11/24/11 05:17 AM Re: Register here now for the CoD Honour Tournament! [Re: HeinKill]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
lol! smile bit like Mike Hunts car dealership here biggrin

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#3461846 - 11/25/11 05:32 PM Re: Register here now for the CoD Honour Tournament! [Re: HeinKill]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
Have created two sets of missions - LW and RAF. Writing the briefings over the weekend.

Mission sets should be avail Wed next week.

H

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.