Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12
#3457616 - 08/24/09 03:15 AM Re: is there anyone who still plays F/A-18 Precision Strike Fighter ? [Re: mlracing]  
mlracing Offline
Mr
mlracing  Offline
Mr

the Earth
here is another video clip. it is 1vs3 dogfight demo, with tower view.

http://player.youku.com/player.php/Type/Folder/Fid/3573261/Ob/1/Pt/4/sid/XMTE0NTU4OTMy/v.swf

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3457617 - 08/24/09 04:09 AM Re: is there anyone who still plays F/A-18 Precision Strike Fighter ? [Re: mlracing]  
mlracing Offline
Mr
mlracing  Offline
Mr

the Earth
Pretzel, if you are still around, recently i have an idea - to make the missiles at wingtips produce smoke without launching them, or make the engines smoke without damaging them, so that i can see the trail of the plane in stunt flight.
i tried tweaking the memory but no success. i wish you can crack the codes that produce smoke.

#3457618 - 08/24/09 07:52 PM Re: is there anyone who still plays F/A-18 Precision Strike Fighter ? [Re: mlracing]  
Fulcrum85 Offline
Fulcrum85  Offline

Poland
Hey mlracing have you any idea how to repaint weapons?? Mainly this white Amraam.

#3457619 - 08/25/09 12:37 AM Re: is there anyone who still plays F/A-18 Precision Strike Fighter ? [Re: Fulcrum85]  
mlracing Offline
Mr
mlracing  Offline
Mr

the Earth
the weapons don't have texture, their colors are defined in the 3D model. the only way to change the color is to modify the 3D model , as introduced by Preztel earlier in this post.
now i haven't gone into remodeling, the hex codes are still too complex for me.

#3457620 - 08/25/09 05:03 PM Re: is there anyone who still plays F/A-18 Precision Strike Fighter ? [Re: mlracing]  
mlracing Offline
Mr
mlracing  Offline
Mr

the Earth

#3457621 - 08/26/09 03:28 AM Re: is there anyone who still plays F/A-18 Precision Strike Fighter ? [Re: mlracing]  
mlracing Offline
Mr
mlracing  Offline
Mr

the Earth
i have tried JANES F/A-18. comparing the JANES one and the GRAPHSIM one, it's like comparing NFS with LFS, graphical detail vs physical detail, quantity vs quality.

#3457622 - 08/29/09 03:27 PM Re: is there anyone who still plays F/A-18 Precision Strike Fighter ? [Re: mlracing]  
mlracing Offline
Mr
mlracing  Offline
Mr

the Earth
i have made some MODs for PSF, see my PHOTOBUCKET album here:
http://s868.photobucket.com/albums/ab247/mlracing1979/

there are some exciting new functions for the game:
1) press V to switch between new carrier views / new plane onboard views / 3D cockpit "pilot head search for bandit" mode, auto judging by the previous view
2) shutting off engines in the air (both / left / right), no practical use though, only for test
3) PageUp key snaps throttle to 80 or after-burner to 40, PageDown key snaps throttle to 60 or after-burner to 20 , auto judging by whether after-burner is on
4) FOV (Field Of View) from 1 degree to 93 degrees (applicable max angle for graphic engine)
5) NVG (Night Vision Goggle) mode, not perfectly alike to the real thing but practically useful
6) See-The-Trail mode, the plane silently releases red balls which don't move, one keypress releases more than 60 thousand pieces or until player stops this mode

#3457623 - 08/30/09 09:10 AM Re: is there anyone who still plays F/A-18 Precision Strike Fighter ? [Re: mlracing]  
mlracing Offline
Mr
mlracing  Offline
Mr

the Earth
UPDATE:
today i just added a one-key-switch for flying other planes in the game. technically i can fly anyplane contained in the game, but i just chosed F-16 F-14 SU-27 A-10 F-117 and B-2.
see my PHOTOBUCKET album for screenshots.

#3457624 - 09/01/09 08:39 AM Re: is there anyone who still plays F/A-18 Precision Strike Fighter ? [Re: mlracing]  
Pretzel Offline
Pretzel  Offline

Texas
Hey mlracing,
Nice pics. How did you get the NVG mode? adj the gamma level on your monitor?

Nice stunt flying. I have a challenge for you. Land on the Crane near the Yongyu Do Bride. Some hints for ya. 1.) Keep your gear up. 2.) Lower your hook and flaps. 3.)Dump all of your fuel SHFT+D. 4.) Brake like H*ll when you stall it on.
If you do it right you wont hit the end and explode smile

TAAA DAAA!

Easter egg #1: Create a mission and add a boat.Save the file. Open the mission file with hexedit and change the word BOAT to ASLT Then fly out to it and see your new toy. BTW it moves. Also change BOAT to CARR = Carrier. Now you can have dueling CVNs smile

I did try to get wing tip smoke. What I tried was to fire the missile but not have it leave the rails. but couldnt figure that out frown

My wish list:
We need to figure out how to increase the LOD from far out. Details pop up to late for todays computer hardware.

More trees smile + variations

More clouds + rain/snow

Skinabe AI planes.

Seperate flare and sun texture - flare are pinkish/red

2 or 3 channel view. Hornet 2.0 was 3 channel view right out of the box. (For Mac)

Carry over structures from Hornet 3.0. I already know how to convert cockpit map and topo land but can get structures to work.

Folded wing Hornet for Carrier deck. <---- Almost there

Cheers for now,
Pretzel~

Pretzelworks - We dont make the sim, we make it better.
Soon to open > FA18Hornet.net and FA18SuperHornet.net
#3457625 - 09/01/09 06:21 PM Re: is there anyone who still plays F/A-18 Precision Strike Fighter ? [Re: Pretzel]  
mlracing Offline
Mr
mlracing  Offline
Mr

the Earth
biggrin i didn't know about the crane before, there are many details in the game that i haven't explored. i haven't even finished the build-in campaign.

about the wingtip smoke, i guess even if it is made, it won't be in the correct form in some extreme conditions, like high AOA and tail slide. but it should be good looking in normal flight though. do you know how to triger an event in the game, like trigering the engine fire? if we can triger the engine fire, then change the fire and smoke texture, the effect should be good looking too.

yesterday i just figured out something new: "canceling" the AOA limit build-in in game(30 degree)(actually increasing the limit to very large angle) then see the plane stall (or do "donut" like a sportcar) not yet like the LOCK-ON style but still interesting. and i made a program to let Su-27 do "cobra", it's faked physics but still look satisfying. in fact, any plane in the game can do it, and can do any other maneuver, just that i like to keep it look realistic.
here is the "cobra" demo: http://player.youku.com/player.php/sid/XMTE2NDY2MTA0/v.swf

about the NVG, i changed the position of light source(a bit like in daytime) and then change the "global eye perceptive" color (like FF FF FF for white, FF 00 00 for red, 00 FF 00 for green), then i can see things clearly and the screen looks green biggrin . and luckily, the variables i found doesn't interfere with BLACK-OUT/RED-OUT. there are still some minor problem, but for now i don't want to fine-tune it too much. here are the code addresses for my currecnt NVG effect:
---------------------------------------------------------------
0049F5F0 - FF FF FF normal / 00 FF 00 - green ( tune it like 00 AA 00 / 22 AA 55)
004F67B3 - light source height - 7F top / 81 bottom / 3F above gnd / 40 below gnd
004F6794 - AA 00 (there are problems here)
LIGHT SOURCE CHANGER (disable them or NVG won't work)
0046CD86 - 89 0d b0 67 4f 00 - mov [004f67b0],ecx
0046CD95 - 66 a3 94 67 4f 00 - mov [004f6794],ax
---------------------------------------------------------------

the LOD is indeed a big problem, so far i only found a work around - disabling the Z-index(like Z-buffer in graphic card) function in the code, but that also show objects behind objects, like trees behind building, so that method is used in a temporary fasion(i can enable it or disable it anytime) my "stunt flight demo" video was recorded with this method, or the F-18 would look like boxes. and this method doesn't work well with other objects.

having seperate textures for objects is possible with ASM programming, but i am only at the surface, so i would live with the current graphics of the game.

right now i wish to move the position of the 2D MFDs to make them fit with the 3D cockpit (i like the cockpit of F/A-18 ODS but ODS has more shortcomings than PSF). i have made a program to disable the HUD and MFDs whenever the pilot is not looking forward - more realistic.
and the pilot head can rotate freely ( 180 degree backward? ) in PSF, ODS is more realistic in this aspect, but i more like the LOCK-ON style of view restriction.

i am still developing new features for the MOD.

#3457626 - 09/01/09 09:37 PM Re: is there anyone who still plays F/A-18 Precision Strike Fighter ? [Re: mlracing]  
Pretzel Offline
Pretzel  Offline

Texas
mlracing,
The methode you discribe to change the color for NVG is the same to change the color of the map in the cockpit. I have the ref at home.
You mentioned the COBRA manuver. I figured the instructions to make the Hornet BOLTER off the Carrier. Touch-And-Go at land bases with a longer roll out.
Trey, Maker of PSF was surprised I figured that out.

Drop the fog to the floor is fun flying too. I can post the how to later.

Nice to see someone modding PSF in areas I donr know. We can pull our resources wink

Cheers!

#3457627 - 09/01/09 10:12 PM Re: is there anyone who still plays F/A-18 Precision Strike Fighter ? [Re: Pretzel]  
Fulcrum85 Offline
Fulcrum85  Offline

Poland
Hi guys. I noticed that Agm-62 and Durandal bombs in ODS are carrying different than PSF and in older games. In ODS we can choose this weapon only for inboard pylons, ahhh and we can choose 2 flir pods to take under fuselage (but still with Amraam shape grrrr mad )
I have another idea with Amraams, what do you think about possibility to carrying 2 Aim-120 instead of a single missile?? Just like in rl

#3457628 - 09/02/09 05:06 AM Re: is there anyone who still plays F/A-18 Precision Strike Fighter ? [Re: Fulcrum85]  
mlracing Offline
Mr
mlracing  Offline
Mr

the Earth
to Pretzel, i tried the ASLT. there seem to be a runway on it. but i can't land of it frown
when a BOAT is changed into CARR, it doesn't move anymore, too bad. if the carrier does move, landing on it would be more interesting.

to Fulcrum85, i guess having 2 AIM120 on one pylon is difficult, as each missile is assigned an ID to make it work, it requires programming, not just 3D modeling or change of quantity. and it is considered cheating if you use it in the game wink

#3457629 - 09/04/09 06:23 AM Re: is there anyone who still plays F/A-18 Precision Strike Fighter ? [Re: mlracing]  
Pretzel Offline
Pretzel  Offline

Texas
mlracing,
The ASLT ship is for Helos, I did get the Carrier to move. It was a real challenge because the island (boss tower) would not. After I figured it out, I found it moved too fast to be realsitic.

Would hanging SAMs on my wing be considered cheating? wink

I looked into hanging 2 AIM-120s on one middle pylon. You cant yet........

#3457630 - 09/04/09 11:09 AM Re: is there anyone who still plays F/A-18 Precision Strike Fighter ? [Re: Pretzel]  
mlracing Offline
Mr
mlracing  Offline
Mr

the Earth
:o these missiles can shoot down elephants!

today i made another new feature for PSF : LOCKON-style high AOA shaking. here is a demo:

http://player.youku.com/player.php/sid/XMTE3MDA1NTY4/v.swf

#3457631 - 09/04/09 08:50 PM Re: is there anyone who still plays F/A-18 Precision Strike Fighter ? [Re: mlracing]  
Fulcrum85 Offline
Fulcrum85  Offline

Poland
Quote:
Would hanging SAMs on my wing be considered cheating? wink

I looked into hanging 2 AIM-120s on one middle pylon. You cant yet........

So maybe single missile on the inner pylons? Or modify to get 4 Walleye/Durandal bombs under wings.

#3457632 - 09/07/09 07:17 AM Re: is there anyone who still plays F/A-18 Precision Strike Fighter ? [Re: mlracing]  
Pretzel Offline
Pretzel  Offline

Texas
Originally Posted By: mlracing
:o these missiles can shoot down elephants!

today i made another new feature for PSF : LOCKON-style high AOA shaking. here is a demo:

http://player.youku.com/player.php/sid/XMTE3MDA1NTY4/v.swf

Man that stall buffer is cool! I like it. GREAT JOB!

#3457633 - 09/07/09 07:22 AM Re: is there anyone who still plays F/A-18 Precision Strike Fighter ? [Re: Pretzel]  
Pretzel Offline
Pretzel  Offline

Texas
Fulcrum85,
Ive made some progress on the AIM-120s. You can hang what you want on each pylon for player. This was never a problem for AI aircraft.

Doubling the 120s on the wing pylon station dose work if I switch the shape files around. But they act like AIM-9s still? I will try to fix it.

TWIN AIM-120s

UNLOCKED AIM-120s

#3457634 - 09/09/09 06:58 PM Re: is there anyone who still plays F/A-18 Precision Strike Fighter ? [Re: Pretzel]  
mlracing Offline
Mr
mlracing  Offline
Mr

the Earth
hi all, i have developed new features for PSF and to a satisfying(to me) extent. now i release the usable MOD. it can be downloaded here: http://rapidshare.com/files/277794247/f18psfmod1.rar.html

it is small , easy to use, and doesn't modify any files in your PC.
check my PHOTOBUCKET album for preview of some functions: http://s868.photobucket.com/albums/ab247/mlracing1979/

FUNCTIONS INCLUDED
====================================

GENERAL
=======
1) This MOD package is different from the one that I use, because I don't have a joystick and I use arrowkeys to control the plane, I constructed the MOD to suit my PC system. This MOD package is for the people who use joystick or mouse to control the plane, some functions are omitted.

2) There is no Cobra maneuver in this MOD, because it only works with keyboard control.

3) I mostly use 3D cockpit view and seldom use 2D cockpit, so the MOD is optimized for 3D cockpit.

FUNCTION LIST
=============
1) key ` (the one above the key Tab) - emulate 3 keystrokes of chaff and 1 keystroke of flare. In the air, 1 keystroke of flare releases 3 flares, while on gound, only 1 flare.

2) key V - depending on your current view, this key switches between 6 onboard camaras, 6 pilot head position (while you are at 3D cockpit view), and 3 carrier view position (while you are at tower view).

notes 1 - While at padlock view (the view locked to something), key V doesn't work.

notes 2 - If the pilot view position is looking forward, MFD will be shown, otherwise MFD will be hidden. ( realistic eh? )

3) key 4 - acts like the original key 4, but includes MFD auto show/hide function and auto zoom-in function (when padlock to enemy).

4) key W - tap shortly to switch waypoint, hold for 1 second to padlock to wingman (like Shift+4), also includes MFD auto show/hide function and auto zoom-in function.

5) key T - tap shortly to switch TACAN, hold for 1 second to padlock to threat (like Ctrl+4), also includes MFD auto show/hide function and auto zoom-in function.

6) key Ctrl+V - toggle Night Vision Goggle effect.

7) key Y - switch your plane among SU27 F16 F14 F117 B2 F18.

notes 1 - Press the key in briefing room.

notes 2 - different planes have different pitch up performances (try SU27 and B2).

8) key Ctrl+K - toggle See-The-Trail mode.

notes 1 - Press the key in briefing room, otherwise texture files remain the same until the next load. (and you will see some strange graphics until the next load)

notes 2 - with Trail mode ON, press the flare key (when you are in flight) to start the trail.

notes 3 - the 3 TGA files which come with this MOD are loaded with Trail mode ON, turn off Trail mode to load the original TGA files.

notes 4 - with Trail mode ON, the sun is red and boats don't wake. You can also modify the TGA files to your liking.

9) key Insert - toggle the built-in LOD function of the game. When your plane is close to your viewpoint, press Insert, then even if the plane flies far away from the viewpoint, or you switch to a far away viewpoint (try tower view), the plane remains at highest LOD (Level Of Detail).

notes 1 - if you activate this MOD function (meaning deactivate the built-in function) when your plane is at low LOD, it will remain at low LOD even if it flies close. In this case, press the key again to activate the built-in function.

notes 2 - the same theory applies to other objects.

notes 3 - the downside is that you can see objects behind other objects, that's why this key TOGGLEs, not for permanent use.

10) key Home/End - instantly set FOV to 1 degree/93 degree.

11) key PageUp - if AfterBurner is off, snaps throttle to 80, if AB is on, snaps AB to 40.

12) key PageDown - if AfterBurner if off, snaps throttle to 60, if AB is on, snaps AB to 20.

IMPORTANT NOTE - if you want to save the replay, don't press PageUp/PageDown keys, or the replay will be screwed.

13) key Ctrl +Insert/ +Home/ + PageUp - turn off both engines / left engine / right engine.

notes 1 - after turning off any engine, press = key to start the engine again.

IMPORTANT NOTE - if you want to save the replay, don't press these keys, or the replay will be screwed.

14) key Z or X - emulate 2 keystrokes of rudder key (Z for left, X for right) and emulate rudder center key (key / ) when you release Z or X.

notes 1 - these keys are for my convenience.

notes 2 - to change radar scan angle, press Shift + Z or Shift + X.

15) key Spacebar - first press emulates holding down Spacebar, second press emulates releasing Spacebar.

notes 1 - after the first press, you must wait for 1.5 seconds before pressing the second time, or it doesn't work.

notes 2 - after the second press, you don't need to wait for 1.5 seconds before the 3rd press.

notes 3 - after the 3rd press, you must wait for 1.5 seconds before the 4th press.

notes 4 - on ground or on carrier catapult, if the plane is totally stopped, it starts moving only after the 3rd press of Spacebar.

notes 5 - you can see a hint [Brake On] even when you are at 3D cockpit view, it flashes for 1.5 seconds. (this is why you must wait for 1.5 seconds before the 2nd press)

16) key C - first press turns on ECM, second press turns off ECM.

notes 1 - you can see a hint [ECM On] or [ECM Off] even when you are at 3D cockpit view, it flashes for 1.5 seconds. (so you must wait for 1.5 seconds before the next press of key C )

17) lastly, the SHAKE effect: this function adds more challenge to dogfight, especially if without a joystick.

When the AOA reaches approximately 25 degree, the plane enters shake mode 1:
a) the plane shakes
b) air drag is increased, which means flight speed will be down sooner
c) air support is decreased, which means the plane can't turn so fast and it drops to the ground faster

When the AOA reaches approximately 31 degree, the plane enters shake mode 2:
a) the plane quakes
b) air drag is increased even more
c) air support is decreased even more, which means the plane will drift away from the circle and slide down to the ground (it looks like stalling, beautiful!)
d) if you get into this mode within 2000ft from the ground, what you should do is quickly decrease the AOA and bring speed back on

#3457635 - 09/10/09 04:05 AM Re: is there anyone who still plays F/A-18 Precision Strike Fighter ? [Re: mlracing]  
mlracing Offline
Mr
mlracing  Offline
Mr

the Earth
hi Pretzel, i have your KOREA.DAT mod now.
the TAKE OFF training mission with lots of planes on the ground is fantastic, and the added jeep which doesn't move helps me understand why the original jeep is moving around.
the carrier looks alive with several windows lighted.
i also got the Crowded House mission, it's a spectacle with lots of objects around.

but why are the engine nozzles brown? will it be more realistic if they are darker metal?

Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.