Forums » Land & Armor Combat » Armor Simulations - General » No Online Platoons?? Active Topics You are not logged in. [Log In] [Register User]
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#3438396 - 11/21/11 05:51 AM No Online Platoons??
QuickSilver Offline

I did a yahoo search for online tank platoons. I have not found ONE. Do these even exist or is tank simulation too niche a product? I am not very interested in Steel Beast Pro. It is too expensive. I prefer modern tanks. Steel Armor:Blaze of War is the only one I have found in an acceptable price range that features modern tanks. It would be my preference to find a platoon that plays that. I have T-72 Balkins On Fire but I do not think many people play that online. Anybody want to help me out and point me in a direction? Also has anybody ever seen personel computer USB gunner controls. I can not find these either.

I prefer a first person view.I also prefer FULL sim. Not arcade like WoT. I am thinking a deep sim like the DCS Flight Products.

Thank you.

#3438419 - 11/21/11 07:40 AM Re: No Online Platoons?? [Re: QuickSilver]
Wicked Offline

Loc: Germany and the Netherlands
Hi there Quicksilver. As far I know you cannot buy USB gunner controls for personal users like you and me. There is a market for Steel Beasts Pro and VBS2 but they sell only to military users. As commander in a modern tank you can use your flightstick. Looks similar.
To be honest, Steel Beasts Pro is not expensive, even compared with DCS products. DCS already announced you have to pay for future updates. And really, if you are truly interested in a full armour simulation there is only one product out there.

Cheers

#3438420 - 11/21/11 07:43 AM Re: No Online Platoons?? [Re: QuickSilver]
Magnum Offline
Lifer

Loc: Naples, Florida
there are a couple of SB pro PE "virtual units"; you could probably find more over at www.steelbeasts.com other then that not to many tank games out there, enough for a virtual unit... steel fury is SP and Battle tanks is a good game but limited.

"Waiting for SimHQ.com"

#3438456 - 11/21/11 08:47 AM Re: No Online Platoons?? [Re: Magnum]
QuickSilver Offline

Eagle Dynamics did not announce that you had to pay for future updates. ED offered an upgraded version of Blackshark called Blackshark 2. I believe this is a one maybe two time incident while they "dial in" thier software. I think this is growing pains and nothing more. Anyway enouph of that. Lets get back to the tank discussion.

I am sorry, I still believe 125 USD is expensive. I could possibly have my view flipped but only if SB Pro PE had a VERY healthy online community.

I am a bit confused why there are no USB gunner controls. Maybe I am confused but don't tank gun controls work like the old Star Wars arcade game? It is a wheel with handles that swivel forward and back. That does not seem like something that would be terribly difficult to develop or manufacture. I mean they have been using this basic design in gaming since at least the 80's right? I know tank siming is a niche market but you would think someone would step up.

I am also curious about SB Pro SE supporting Track IR.

I am also curious how people look around the interior (I don't know if they call that a cockpit). How do you use the weapon sights and how do you pop your head out of the top to look around? Is it done with the mouse or is it some kind of snap view setup?

#3438478 - 11/21/11 09:15 AM Re: No Online Platoons?? [Re: QuickSilver]
Magnum Offline
Lifer

Loc: Naples, Florida
mouse, then you click on the interior tool/sight you want to use and it zooms into that sight/station. It's great and works well... I'm not going to try and convince you, because IMO... if you haven't jumped into SB Pro PE yet because of the price, your probably NOT going to... but how long has SB Pro PE been out...years... total so far for me 175...125 plus 2 upgrades at 25 each. (I think it was)... well worth it... CoD series... 60 bucks a year, yearly release... then 3 or 4 map packs at 15 to 20 bucks each.... Tiger Woods golf, 60 bucks a year, yearly... 12 courses for 10 bucks each... iRacing 100 bucks a year, plus 400 bucks for all cars and tracks, lol... you get my point. wink

"Waiting for SimHQ.com"

#3438493 - 11/21/11 09:43 AM Re: No Online Platoons?? [Re: QuickSilver]
Wicked Offline

Loc: Germany and the Netherlands
No TrackIR support in SB Pro PE. You look around in the 3D cockpit using your mouse and click on the sights to use them. Works great. Or while in cockpit you can use keyboard. Out of turret same. Commander looks around with mouse and uses bino to zoom in.
As for tank controls, like I said, for military use only: http://afvsim.com/

Steelbeasts has a small but active community. People do play online. Check Steelbeasts forum or get online with them with Teamspeak.

About the price. Ya, like Magnum, its a neverending discussion.

Cheers

#3461040 - 11/24/11 09:00 AM Re: No Online Platoons?? [Re: QuickSilver]
Ronin_GE Online   content

About the "tank control handle".
Not so easy to get, as far as I know they are labeled as "defense product" or at least "dual use" product.
You'll have fun getting one through customs ;-)

there are no 3-axis "joystick" handles for a reason

#3482841 - 12/28/11 02:01 PM Re: No Online Platoons?? [Re: QuickSilver]
QuickSilver Offline

Sorry Ronin_GE I do not subscribe to that theory. As I stated before I have seen that design on many 80's arcade games. The Star Wars Arcade Game was but one example. That proves to me 3 axis sticks (by the way most flight sticks have 3 axis so I don't know what you mean by that. X/Y/Z Roll/Pitch/Yaw) are not just for military uses. I think its more likely that manufacturers do not think it is worth the cost to produce it for commercial sale. We all know the military over pays for everything. They pay thousands for something we would pay a couple of hundered or less for.

Edited by QuickSilver (12/28/11 02:10 PM)

#3482991 - 12/28/11 05:35 PM Re: No Online Platoons?? [Re: QuickSilver]
strykerpsg Offline

Loc: Ft Lewis, WA aka JBLM
Originally Posted By: QuickSilver
Sorry Ronin_GE I do not subscribe to that theory. As I stated before I have seen that design on many 80's arcade games. The Star Wars Arcade Game was but one example. That proves to me 3 axis sticks (by the way most flight sticks have 3 axis so I don't know what you mean by that. X/Y/Z Roll/Pitch/Yaw) are not just for military uses. I think its more likely that manufacturers do not think it is worth the cost to produce it for commercial sale. We all know the military over pays for everything. They pay thousands for something we would pay a couple of hundered or less for.

Quick Silver, the design on AFV's website is only sold to military purchasers, which if you notice, there are no prices offered. SO, some of the most informative minds have replied to your thread and you still seem unconvinced about the validity of Steel Beast Pro, so best of luck in your quest. I don't believe you're going to find any additional answers from here or other forums, except maybe Wild Bills flawed Sherman sim. Remember, you get what you pay for and Steel Beasts will not disappoint. Matter of fact, it's so accurate in scope and depth, many militaries use it to keep their armor crews proficient, but you would only know that if you perused the Steelbeasts.com forums. Again, best of luck in your quest, though think all of your searches will come back to Steel Beasts. If you find something else, please feel free to post here. We'd love to see what you find.

Matt
16 GB DDR3 1600Mhz memory, Win7 Premium 64 bit, Direct X11, 2GB GTX 860M video
A-10 Warthog HOTAS Joystick w/ Pedals

#3483275 - 12/29/11 01:22 AM Re: No Online Platoons?? [Re: QuickSilver]
QuickSilver Offline

I have looked into Steel Beasts pretty extensively strykerpsg. Your post has a aura of defensiveness. I was not attacking Steel Beast. I have no doubt that it is a fine sim. The fans praise drives that point home. I am simply trying to understand why someone does not sell gunner controls. I was only stating that since the design had been used in a commercial arcade product that I did not believe it was something only the military could get. I am sure any company with the initiative could produce them. I know the website you referenced does not offer their product to the public. However, that does not mean SOMEONE could not offer something similar to the public.

The only negative comment I had about Steel Beast was that I thought it was expensive. But you know what... sounds like they update it a lot. Kind of like an online RPG. I played Ultima Online, City of Heroes, and Star Wars Galaxies for years and spent way over 100 dollars each so maybee it really is not that expensive. I honestly do not know. However, when you compare Steel Beast with other tank sims, coupled with the fact there is no demo, all most people are going to see is it cost at least 225% of comparable products in the same genre (or more). Maybe thats like compareing a Ferrari to a Geo. But for someone that does not know any better it is like there asking 125k for a 40k dollar car. Surely you can see that. I am sure you have the benefit of being a long time tank sim fan and have kind of "grown up" with the industry. Your a person in the know. Somebody like me (most people) don't have that benefit. They really have no comparable data, they just see the price. Even if you can tell me all about Steel Beast you probably have little information on other tank titles for me to make a comparison. I hope this stated my case of why I have that opinion. I also hope I did not say anything to insult you. That was not my intention. I know I get a bit defensive when I feel someone is attacking DCS titles. I guess we all have our favorties. Right?

Edited by QuickSilver (12/29/11 01:52 AM)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:

Moderator:  EinsteinEP, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
My Forza Horizon 2 Cars
by Weaponz248
51 minutes 5 seconds ago
PS4 Driveclub won't support Fanatec or Logitech Wheels
by kludger
Today at 01:06 PM
Interesting view of Sniper Pod Symbology
by UnderTheRadar
Today at 09:12 AM
Best aerobatics planes for XP10 simulator
by SteveHarris
Today at 09:04 AM
PS4 Console Bundles - Am I missing something?
by Pielstick
Today at 08:29 AM
Comanche Gold on Windows 8
by ufolev
Today at 04:31 AM
range time :)
by kail
Today at 02:36 AM
Flying "suite class" on Singapore Airlines
by Pizzicato
Today at 12:51 AM
Google Earth Stalingrad overlay
by Hooves
Today at 12:12 AM
2014 Atlanta Warbird Weekend
by CJBuff
Yesterday at 10:28 PM

Forum Use Agreement | Privacy Statement
Copyright 1997-2014, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.