#3487692 - 01/05/12 02:56 AM Re: No Online Platoons?? [Re: QuickSilver]  
QuickSilver Offline
QuickSilver  Offline

Thank you Ryujin.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3488623 - 01/06/12 06:03 AM Re: No Online Platoons?? [Re: QuickSilver]  
QuickSilver Offline
QuickSilver  Offline

Got another question. I have heard of tanks firing an anti-air missile from their main gun. Have you guys heard of this? How does that interface work (as far as targeting)? What guidance system would something like that use? Do they use a sabot?

#3488640 - 01/06/12 06:49 AM Re: No Online Platoons?? [Re: QuickSilver]  
strykerpsg Offline
strykerpsg  Offline

Land of the Morning Calm
I haven't seen any dedicated anti-air rounds, just one of a few varieties either being laser guided, lucky shot with conventional rounds or the US Army's MPAT(?) round, but it's not anti-air specific, just has fusing options not available on conventional rounds.

However, not a tanker by trade, so there may be something I haven't seen or heard of.

Matt

Laptop:
Alienware M17 R3
i7-6820MQ
32 GB DDR3 1600Mhz memory, Win10 Pro 64 bit, DX11,
24GB GTX 980M video
Alienware Graphics Amplifier w GTX 1080 Strix Edition 8GB
A-10 Warthog HOTAS Joystick w/ Pedals
#3488655 - 01/06/12 07:35 AM Re: No Online Platoons?? [Re: QuickSilver]  
Ryujin Offline
Ryujin  Offline

I haven't heard of any dedicated anti-air missiles being gun launched, but I'm no expert either.

Some tanks can have gun launched laser guided ATGMs that use the tanks existing optics, laser, and fire control. They could in theory be used to engage helicopters (you can point the laser at anything). After some quick googling it seems the Israeli LAHAT does make some mention of being able to engage helicopters.

"LAHAT is highly effective against a variety of target types, including ground targets, ships and Helicopters at ranges up to 8 km. LAHAT can hit static or moving targets, including moving helicopters with pinpoint accuracy."
http://www.iai.co.il/31015-37347-en/Business_Areas_Military_Land_Precision_Munitions.aspx?btl=1

Last edited by Ryujin; 01/06/12 07:36 AM.
#3494250 - 01/13/12 07:03 PM Re: No Online Platoons?? [Re: QuickSilver]  
QuickSilver Offline
QuickSilver  Offline

Would you guys be interested whatsoever in a driver / gunner setup. I was thinking of something similar to the Star Wars Arcade Game setup with a switch that acts as a modifier (to switch from driver to gunner).

It would work like this

Driving
Turn Left to Turn Left
Turn Right to Turn Right
Tilt Forward to Roll Forward
Tilt Backward to Roll Backward.

Gunner
Turn Left to Rotate Left
Turn Right to Rotate Right
Tilt Back to Move Up
Tilt Forward to Move Down

I am still considering button layouts.

Driving
Smoke Generator
Mountain Brake
Transmission Gears
Start Engine

Gunner
Lazing
Change Ammo type
Fire
Reload (if its not done automatically)

Do you see any buttons that are missing?

How could this be used for Tank Commander Functions (TCF) as far as buttons?

Edit: I should have specified that this set up would most benefit more that one person in a tank. Obviously you need to be able to move AND shoot at tbe same time. You could not do both with this controller setup of course. Can you have multiple people in one tank in Steel Beast Pro?

Last edited by QuickSilver; 01/13/12 07:46 PM.
#3496812 - 01/17/12 09:47 PM Re: No Online Platoons?? [Re: QuickSilver]  
Kontakt5 Offline
Hotshot
Kontakt5  Offline
Hotshot

Originally Posted By: QuickSilver
I have looked into Steel Beasts pretty extensively strykerpsg. Your post has a aura of defensiveness. I was not attacking Steel Beast. I have no doubt that it is a fine sim. The fans praise drives that point home. I am simply trying to understand why someone does not sell gunner controls. I was only stating that since the design had been used in a commercial arcade product that I did not believe it was something only the military could get. I am sure any company with the initiative could produce them. I know the website you referenced does not offer their product to the public. However, that does not mean SOMEONE could not offer something similar to the public.

Directly from the manufacturer's website:

http://afvsim.com/contact.htm

Quote:
Please note that the controls are designed for military use, or for the defence industry.

Their business model simply does not include the consumer market- they don't want to do it. Evidently they calculate that the costs of manufacturing dies for the mass market isn't lucrative enough for them to recoup their investment. There you have it, but you can contact them directly and ask them to sell you one if you disagree. I understand that no one has been able to do this, though.

No one gets out of here alive.

#3496821 - 01/17/12 09:53 PM Re: No Online Platoons?? [Re: QuickSilver]  
Kontakt5 Offline
Hotshot
Kontakt5  Offline
Hotshot

Got another question. I have heard of tanks firing an anti-air missile from their main gun. Have you guys heard of this? How does that interface work (as far as targeting)? What guidance system would something like that use? Do they use a sabot?

Some Russian/Soviet designed tanks can gun launch an ATGM at air targets. They are SACLOS guided just as if they were fired at a ground target, i.e., the gunner has to maintain the missile sight on the target up until impact. This is only practical for a hovering helicopter, you can imagine. They don't shoot high performance radar or IR tracking anti-aircraft missiles.

No one gets out of here alive.

#3498021 - 01/19/12 11:50 AM Re: No Online Platoons?? [Re: Kontakt5]  
Ronin_GE Offline
Ronin_GE  Offline

Originally Posted By: Kontakt5
I have looked into Steel Beasts pretty extensively strykerpsg. Your post has a aura of defensiveness. I was not attacking Steel Beast. I have no doubt that it is a fine sim. The fans praise drives that point home. I am simply trying to understand why someone does not sell gunner controls. I was only stating that since the design had been used in a commercial arcade product that I did not believe it was something only the military could get. I am sure any company with the initiative could produce them. I know the website you referenced does not offer their product to the public. However, that does not mean SOMEONE could not offer something similar to the public.

Directly from the manufacturer's website:

http://afvsim.com/contact.htm

Quote:
Please note that the controls are designed for military use, or for the defence industry.

Their business model simply does not include the consumer market- they don't want to do it. Evidently they calculate that the costs of manufacturing dies for the mass market isn't lucrative enough for them to recoup their investment. There you have it, but you can contact them directly and ask them to sell you one if you disagree. I understand that no one has been able to do this, though.

I'd like to add to that(again), that handles, like those made by AFV-sim are "dual-use Items". Therefor they will have some problems selling them to joe-publick

nec cupias, nec metuas

official steelbeasts website
www.steelbeasts.com
Panzerbataillon 911(v) Webseite
www.steelbeasts.org
#3500823 - 01/22/12 10:15 AM Re: No Online Platoons?? [Re: QuickSilver]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
I'm a bit late to the party, and haven't yet read the entire thread, so forgive me if my post here is redundant.

I am simply trying to understand why someone does not sell gunner controls.

At the core it's a matter of commercial viability. A plastic stick will require molds to be made. These are very expensive to make (in the mid five-digit range). Once that you have the molds you can crank out a hundred thousand copies at virtually no cost. So, who'd going to buy those hundred thousand control handles?
There is a very real danger that you can sell only a small fraction of them, and then you're stuck with a substantial bill for production and storage.
The alternative is what AFV Sim does. They are milling the parts out of solid aluminum blocks. The initial investment is much lower, but quite naturally the costs for the CNC machine and the aluminum material, the powder coating etc. are much, much higher - way beyond the range of consumer price levels for joysticks.
In addition, Ronin's statement wasn't a "theory". It's a matter of fact that the control handles are considered war material that fall under export restrictions. It may sound insane, but this is the law in the UK. That there are other examples which apparently were sold worldwide without this bureaucratic hassle doesn't render the law invalid. Maybe they came from a different country, or the laws were different at the time, or the authorities didn't look very closely, or maybe the export simply was illegal under law and someone DID go to jail afterwards. I don't know, and AFV Sim doesn't care; the only thing that matters is what the law is today, and that curtails the export of such handles from the UK.

Quote:
...about Steel Beast ... I thought it was expensive.

...and you are right about it. In a way, it is (even though you brought up examples of other games that, in the end, cost you about as much though in smaller chunks). We at eSim Games simply are honest about what we want right from the start. There are no subscription costs. We just kindly ask to also consider the value of what we're offering. A pretty solid real-time wargame, more than a dozen highly diverse contemporary armored vehicles replicated with high fidelity (most of which are world-exclusives, actually - especially in the field of infantry fighting vehicles), integrated map and mission editors, an active multiplayer community with virtual units, tons of single player scenarios ready for download at SteelBeasts.com, both cooperative multiplayer games and team on team. About every 15 months there is an upgrade to pay for at $25.-, and usually about two or three minor updates (free) between these upgrades. SB Pro doesn't crash. It's not "bug free", but we try to limit it to those that aren't terribly annoying. We've tripled the headcount of the core team over the last twelve months now that we worked ourselves a bit out of the mire of too many development contracts that beset us in the 2006...2010 period, and that will allow us to gear up the pace of our development work noticeably.
So, all in all I think that we offer good value in return. But value is a highly subjective element, therefore I won't tell you what to think. This is our offer, and it is your privilege as a consumer to decide whether its attractive or not. smile

Quote:
when you compare Steel Beast with other tank sims, coupled with the fact there is no demo

For all practical matters, there actually is. You can download and install SB Pro PE for free from here, and there are people at SteelBeasts.com who will borrow you a license so you can try it out. smile

Quote:
...all most people are going to see is it cost at least 225% of comparable products in the same genre (or more).

All I can say is that despite this apparent, glaring disparity, our customers seem to be happy. Don't you wonder why...? wink

Visit the home of Steel Beasts!
...the ultimate armor sim...
#3500829 - 01/22/12 10:49 AM Re: No Online Platoons?? [Re: QuickSilver]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
Others have given answers already, but here's "the official reply":

Does Steel Beast have a start up sequence (like fuel pumps, hydrualic pumps, etc.) or do you just press a key to start the engine?

Some vehicles do, provided that the scenario designer set a variable in the scenario to NOT have the vehicle battle ready at mission start. Even then however, starting up a tank is usually less complicated than an airplane with multiple engines. The main focus of Steel Beasts is tactical combat. Army customers also want it for crew procedure training, where commander and gunner are the training audience. Steel Beasts is not a driving simulator (a lot of work would be involved there for comparatively little gain, as far as we can see; the same can be said for a loader's position).

Quote:
Is there a bail button (as in bailing out of the tank)?

Not yet.
Arguably, as long as the tank isn't on fire, the safest place to stay is inside, and once that it actually is on fire, it's usually too late. There is of course a sweet spot in between, and maybe we'll implement such a feature in the future.

Quote:
Does Steel Beast have smoke generators?

Some vehicles do. Most have smoke grenades.

Quote:
Do you have to turn a laser on for rangeing or is it always on?

In most vehicles its always on. Some armies wanted to have the laser key simulated as an educational measure so that the crews treat it like a weapon, other armies are more lenient about it. Eventually we'll simulate it in all vehicles where such a key is used, but leave it plugged in and active by default.

Quote:
Can you control the tank treads individually?

We model the difference of some tanks being able to picot steer while others can't. But by and large all modern tanks rely on some sort of a steering wheel or motorcycle handle bar. Levers to steer tracks individually are a concept of the past. The only vehicle that still does it and which is still in use today that springs to my mind is the M113, and maybe also the T-55 (I have to check that one, though) - arguably the oldest and weakest of their kind.

Quote:
Do the gears change automatically or manually?

Automatic transmission all the way. Like I wrote above, SB Pro is no driving simulation.
Frankly, I don't understand the interest of many people in the driver's place. While it is a very important position usually given to the most mature crew member after the vehicle commander, from a gaming perspective there isn't much freedom for your own decisions actually. Bring the vehicle from here to over there. Make it as quick as possible, take a concealed route, and try to not get stuck. That's about it.

Quote:
Do the tanks have variable throttle control or is it just gas and brake?

With a joystick (or steering wheel and gas pedal) you can fine-control the vehicle speed, yes. Still, don't expect wonders. For normal operation Steel Beasts has five speed settings - top speed, medium, slow, stop, and reverse. The practical reality is that as a vehicle commander you don't need more.

Quote:
Do you have to close (or open for that matter) the hatch after popping out to look around or does it do it automatically.

You may open and close hatches separately, but for the normal user interface if you're buttoned up and you give the command to elevate your point of view, there is a delay and an animation of the hatch and then you go to "chin defilade" automatically. I see very little benefit to convolute the user interface more than absolutely necessary. There is only so much that even with a 3D turret interior one can accomplish wehn all that you have are hotkeys on the keyboard and mouse click and drag options. For example, as a Leopard 2 tank commander to open the hatch you need to turn around and use both hands to
  1. unlock the hatch
  2. elevate it to top position
  3. unlock the swivel limiter
  4. rotate it
  5. push it down, and finally
  6. lock it in place
I can see no value in attempting to replicate that with extensive switchology. That's just occupational therapy to divert the player from the important elements, to maintain situational awareness. Striving for high fidelity incurs intelligent choices about which elements may be simplified and which need to be modeled in full, both in order to support the focus of the simulation. And that is tactical combat, above all. That's complicated enough.

#3500831 - 01/22/12 10:52 AM Re: No Online Platoons?? [Re: QuickSilver]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
Can you have multiple people in one tank in Steel Beast Pro?

Of course!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.