Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
#3439558 - 11/22/11 07:59 PM Re: FC3 Confirmed. [Re: PFunk]  
GrayGhost Offline
Hotshot
GrayGhost  Offline
Hotshot

What /I/ say is true, and /you/ say is true, the devil is in the details. It is very time consuming to make a fine-grained realism adjustment - actually pretty close to just creating a different aircraft. A blanket 'arcade' mode might be a lot easier to create. There might be a better solution to this in the future, if ever, but not soon IMHO.

Originally Posted By: PFunk
Then why did ED toss in a game avionics and flight mode for every title they've made?

If what you say is true, then ED shouldn't have even bothered. Right?

Point is, they already have a game mode, I'd just like to see them tweak it a little.

--
44th VFW
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3439732 - 11/22/11 11:55 PM Re: FC3 Confirmed. [Re: PFunk]  
Plainsman Offline
Plainsman  Offline

Vikings Season Ticket Holder
Then why did ED toss in a game avionics and flight mode for every title they've made?

If what you say is true, then ED shouldn't have even bothered. Right?

Point is, they already have a game mode, I'd just like to see them tweak it a little.

Because ED are good people, and that was their attempt to placate the "casual" crowd. But some on this thread want DCS/FC dumbed down ...sorry, "simplified and speeded up" even more. I say buy the titles that are right for your tastes.

Last edited by Plainsman; 11/22/11 11:56 PM.

Acer: XB 280HK 28" 3840 X 2160, 1ms, w/Nvidia GSync
Corsair: White Graphite 760T Full Tower
Corsair: 16GB Vengeance LPX 2800MHz RAM
Corsair: SP2500 2.1 Gaming Speaker System
INTEL: Six-Core, i7 5820K CPU @4.2Hz
ASUS RTX OC 2080
Logitech 920 Wheel and Pedal System with Wheel Stand Pro
Saitek Pro Flight Control System with Wheel Stand Pro
Saitek X55 HOTAS
XBOX One S
Track IR5

#3439747 - 11/23/11 12:09 AM Re: FC3 Confirmed. [Re: Nate]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
What's the 'new engine'?

Is it the one we have already paid for twice in DCS A10c and BS2?

Are we expected to shell out money for a 3rd time? This is what I don't understand with the way ED are going....

I paid for FC, I paid for FC2, I paid for BS, I paid for DCS A10C, I paid for BS2 - surely I've already paid for the new engine twice, the aircraft within FC, KA-50, A10 Warthog and next I have to pay for ED integrate yet another package which combines all the bits and pieces I've already paid for?

That is hardly modular nor integrated. I'll pass if this is the way the series has gone/is going. I'd much rather see an announcement with regards to how they are taking the series forward because as it stands at the moment they haven't got a clue which way to turn and how to progress.....yet they're happy to announce yet more payware upgrades that can only face in one direction - a dead end, or a series which gets more and more expensive as each platform needs updates. They've got their business model totally back to front.

On the Eighth day God created Paratroopers and the Devil stood to attention.
#3439792 - 11/23/11 01:22 AM Re: FC3 Confirmed. [Re: Paradaz]  
GrayGhost Offline
Hotshot
GrayGhost  Offline
Hotshot

What you're paying for is improvements specific to the title and additional content.

Originally Posted By: Paradaz
I paid for FC, I paid for FC2, I paid for BS, I paid for DCS A10C, I paid for BS2 - surely I've already paid for the new engine twice, the aircraft within FC, KA-50, A10 Warthog and next I have to pay for ED integrate yet another package which combines all the bits and pieces I've already paid for?

--
44th VFW
#3439804 - 11/23/11 01:52 AM Re: FC3 Confirmed. [Re: Nate]  
bigdog4215 Offline
bigdog4215  Offline

I'm not saying I hate the game,I'm just stating my opinion on what I think make it even more fun for me and would also bring more people to the game.I like some realism myself and thats why I enjoy flying to a target area and using the advanced weapons systems in the open world enviroments.Games like hawk and ace combat tend to get old for me but have never played strike fighters but plan to.I don't anything as far as programing is concerned but I think if they were to do the things I've stated that ed's popularity could increase greatly and that would be a plus for all gamers cause we all know what makes the world go around.

#3439963 - 11/23/11 11:47 AM Re: FC3 Confirmed. [Re: Paradaz]  
Trident Offline
Trident  Offline

Germany
What's the 'new engine'?

Are you referring to my post? If so, I was talking strictly about the Nevada add-on which will come with a completely new terrain renderer (not found even in DCS:A-10 or BS2, it enables things like true 3D trees, higher mesh resolutions and dynamic terrain shadows), NOT FC3.

As for your gripe about paying for compatibility, I agree that the current business model is not tenable in the long term and ED has stated that a truly modular approach remains their ultimate goal. It's not so much the absolute cost that I'm worried about though, objectively speaking, DCS modules are still ridiculously cheap for what you get. For me, it's the fact that the price per module would increase with each new release if you bought them all, as you'd then have to purchase multiple compatibility upgrades for your existing modules. That is neither logical nor an appropriate way to treat the company's most loyal customers. I also share your concerns about Flying Legends (if that's what you mean by dead end), ED has proved incapable of achieving their originally envisioned release cycle for DCS and failed to deliver the planned modularity. It is hard to see how adding yet more and, most importantly, totally unrelated work to their agenda will help them catch up with their initial plans (sooner or later there will be no way around a modular architecture).

#3439969 - 11/23/11 12:01 PM Re: FC3 Confirmed. [Re: Nate]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
I wasn't replying to your post but I agree entirely about everything you have said.

I wasn't even taking into account the new Nevada terrain engine which surely just adds more complexity (and expense) when existing modules will yet again presumably need to be made compatible on an individual basis.

My original concerns even with BS2 is that I've effectively paid for the new engine when I bought A10c, I already bought the KA50 platform yet I've had to pay for the engine and the KA50 again with BS2 along with the additional features.

If, as Greyghost says we are [only] paying for new functionality, then I would gauge the new functionality to be approximately 3% of the overall package yet the cost is approximately 25-30% of the full game.

#3439989 - 11/23/11 01:12 PM Re: FC3 Confirmed. [Re: Paradaz]  
Trident Offline
Trident  Offline

Germany
I wasn't replying to your post but I agree entirely about everything you have said.

I wasn't even taking into account the new Nevada terrain engine which surely just adds more complexity (and expense) when existing modules will yet again presumably need to be made compatible on an individual basis.

My original concerns even with BS2 is that I've effectively paid for the new engine when I bought A10c, I already bought the KA50 platform yet I've had to pay for the engine and the KA50 again with BS2 along with the additional features.

If, as Greyghost says we are [only] paying for new functionality, then I would gauge the new functionality to be approximately 3% of the overall package yet the cost is approximately 25-30% of the full game.

Actually, Nevada and the new terrain renderer in particular are probably the most sensible of all the new ED projects. I would guess that the opportunity is being taken to already develop the new engine with modularity in mind, so that further compatibility issues are avoided once all products have been updated to that standard. It also addresses all of the few remaining weaknesses in ED's terrain graphics (billboard trees, very coarse terrain mesh, lack of terrain shadows) and will be appreciated no matter what future flyable aircraft are released. Unlike Flying Legends, there is no danger whatsoever of it becoming a dead-end, orphaned product.

#3440000 - 11/23/11 01:38 PM Re: FC3 Confirmed. [Re: Trident]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
Originally Posted By: Trident
Actually, Nevada and the new terrain renderer in particular are probably the most sensible of all the new ED projects. I would guess that the opportunity is being taken to already develop the new engine with modularity in mind, so that further compatibility issues are avoided once all products have been updated to that standard. It also addresses all of the few remaining weaknesses in ED's terrain graphics (billboard trees, very coarse terrain mesh, lack of terrain shadows) and will be appreciated no matter what future flyable aircraft are released. Unlike Flying Legends, there is no danger whatsoever of it becoming a dead-end, orphaned product.

You're absolutely right, but it doesn't fill me with confidence with ED's announcement after BS2 because they don't seem to know how to ensure the DCS series becomes modular, because it certainly isn't at the moment. If Nevada and the terrain renderer was to be the new foundation for the series then surely ED would have planned that a long time ago and would already know the direction in which they are going and wouldn't have needed to release a statement saying they are not sure how best to move forward in their quest to integrate future software.

I've said before, the obvious way forward you would think....would be to start with the engine and use that as the baseline. The platforms then become the modular entities and could be integrated a lot more easily, it would certainly be the only plausible way they would get anywhere near ED's original statement of a 9-month turn-around per platform. All we've seen so far are complete engine overhauls which are forcing each platform to require an update.....Flaming Cliffs being the latest!

#3460787 - 11/24/11 02:01 AM Re: FC3 Confirmed. [Re: bigdog4215]  
Plainsman Offline
Plainsman  Offline

Vikings Season Ticket Holder
Originally Posted By: bigdog4215
I'm not saying I hate the game,I'm just stating my opinion on what I think make it even more fun for me and would also bring more people to the game.I like some realism myself and thats why I enjoy flying to a target area and using the advanced weapons systems in the open world enviroments.Games like hawk and ace combat tend to get old for me but have never played strike fighters but plan to.I don't anything as far as programing is concerned but I think if they were to do the things I've stated that ed's popularity could increase greatly and that would be a plus for all gamers cause we all know what makes the world go around.

If ED make your changes the sim is no longer hardcore. Hardcore is hardcore. It's a very specific market, and hardcore simmers don't want their titles made easier for a broader audience. That would defeat the purpose, at least for the sim player. I bought and installed all the ED titles but I don't play them very often because I don't have the time to devote to climb the learning curve, but I respect those who do.

Face it, what you prefer is something for a different market. There are flight titles for that market. Third Wire has Strike Fighters 2, Strike Fighters 2: Europe, Strike Fighters 2: Israel, Strike Fighters 2: Vietnam. I got all four in a combo pack for the price of one. They are not arcade like Hawx, Ace Combat, there is at least some realism, but they are not as hardcore as the ED stuff. That's why I call them "sim-lite." Enjoy!

Last edited by Plainsman; 11/24/11 02:02 AM.

Acer: XB 280HK 28" 3840 X 2160, 1ms, w/Nvidia GSync
Corsair: White Graphite 760T Full Tower
Corsair: 16GB Vengeance LPX 2800MHz RAM
Corsair: SP2500 2.1 Gaming Speaker System
INTEL: Six-Core, i7 5820K CPU @4.2Hz
ASUS RTX OC 2080
Logitech 920 Wheel and Pedal System with Wheel Stand Pro
Saitek Pro Flight Control System with Wheel Stand Pro
Saitek X55 HOTAS
XBOX One S
Track IR5

#3463125 - 11/27/11 07:12 PM Re: FC3 Confirmed. [Re: Paradaz]  
Flogger23m Offline
Flogger23m  Offline

US
What's the 'new engine'?

This is not a valid concern. Yes, it is an updated engine, and yes you bought it a few times. But Gears of War was built on the same engine (UE3, with improvements/different builds) three times, and sold for full price. My point is that this is nothing new.

What irks me is the expensive terrian addon, and the fact that it will split the MP community between those that do and those that don't have it. ED should take a look at what BIS is doing with ArmA 2. BIS released some DLC, however MP compatibility is still kept between people with and without the DLC. If ED wants to charge extra for DLC then that is fine, but it should be done in ways that did not split the MP community. EX) Sell some extra campaigns, new aircraft skins, ect.

As for the realism, it is perfect in FC2, and I hope it stays around the same level. DCS seems too advanced for me to get into, and I find the level of realism great in FC2. I would gladly pay more for new flyable aircraft, like a Mirage 2000 and F-16, assuming they are $10 and under each.

#3463171 - 11/27/11 08:40 PM Re: FC3 Confirmed. [Re: Flogger23m]  
Aladar Offline
Aladar  Offline

Fremont, CA
Originally Posted By: Flogger23m

This is not a valid concern. Yes, it is an updated engine, and yes you bought it a few times. But Gears of War was built on the same engine (UE3, with improvements/different builds) three times, and sold for full price. My point is that this is nothing new.

As for the realism, it is perfect in FC2, and I hope it stays around the same level. DCS seems too advanced for me to get into, and I find the level of realism great in FC2. I would gladly pay more for new flyable aircraft, like a Mirage 2000 and F-16, assuming they are $10 and under each.

I agree with both of these. The first is an excellent argument. The second is exactly how I feel about this series. DCS looks interesting, but it's just too much for me at the moment. Lomac had a nice level of realism and simplification.

#3463352 - 11/28/11 02:17 AM Re: FC3 Confirmed. [Re: Nate]  
PFunk Offline
SimHQ Redneck
PFunk  Offline
SimHQ Redneck
Veteran

N. Central Texas
First of all, having just bought DCS:A-10C, I can attest that FC2 is most certainly not hardcore. It's not even close. It's not even in the same category. The avionics (the normal systems, not the 'game' mode) are child's play compared to the level of complexity brought to us by A-10C. That bar was been unmistakably raised to a very high standard and no one will be reaching it anytime soon.

I've flown JF-15, JF-18, and Falcon 4.0: Allied Force. Those three didn't even really approach the level of difficulty offered by A-10C.

But, I've discovered something. Someone at ED put some serious programming time into making DCS:A-10C one of the most scalable products I've ever had the joy to fly. I'm hoping that the guys at ED put the same time into FC3, that's all. No one was more more disappointed when Jane's A-10 Warthog never came to fruition. Wags and Elf once said that the original code is sitting on a hard drive somewhere in Maryland, I believe. We finally have a sim that is BETTER than Jane's A-10 could have ever hoped to be.

I just hope that ED makes FC3 as scalable as they did A-10C. That would make it probably the most sought-after survey sim ever made in terms of being everything any simmer of any skill level would ever need.

It would make the Strike Fighters series obsolete.

"A little luck & a little government is necessary to get by, but only a fool places his complete trust in either one." - PJ O'Rourke

www.sixmanfootball.com
#3463366 - 11/28/11 02:38 AM Re: FC3 Confirmed. [Re: Nate]  
GrayGhost Offline
Hotshot
GrayGhost  Offline
Hotshot

While the operation of the aircraft is easier, the 'under the hood' stuff is getting more hardcore with every iteration (so far). Missiles, guns, bombs - all have received some sort of touch ups to act more realistically for example. FC2 aircraft parameters were tuned to make the aircraft fly as close to the real deal as the SFM can handle.

This isn't like HAWX where you don't even take gravity into account - you really need to know your stuff to fully appreciate the product, especially in a competitive environment.

--
44th VFW
#3465120 - 11/30/11 06:24 PM Re: FC3 Confirmed. [Re: PFunk]  
malibu43 Offline
malibu43  Offline

SoCal

Hmmmm... not quite. For some, maybe yes. But not for all.

The biggest thing keeping me from switching from SF2 to FC2 is the lack of random missions or dynamic campaigns. The first flight sim I had was Graphic Sim's Hornet 2.0. That thing had 28 missions. That was it. And I couldn't have been happier with it. Korea added 28 more. Wow. 56 missions?!?! How could that ever get boring? And I knew every mission by heart...

Fast forward to now, and the bottom line is that WoX/SF2, IL-2, and F4AF have simply set the bar higher in terms of reply-ability. All three of those have dynamic campaigns in some sense. I have FC2 and got to be pretty good with the A-10 in the training missions. I went to start the campaign and got shot down on the first mission by an SA-11. Wait... now what? I just go back and fly the exact same mission and know that the first thing I need to do is hit that SA-11? I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I didn't think it would be an issue until I tried it. I would read through SimHQ forums and think "what's with all these snobs that demand dynamic campaigns?" But then I realized I was starting to climb into the same boat. The bar has been/is being raised.

So for me, the lack of random missions and dynamic campaigns is the one thing that keeps me from spending all my time in FC2.

Plus there is a group of people (what % of simmers, I don't know) that are all about 50s/60s/70s stuff. So, of course, to completely make SF2 obsolete, FC2 would have to greatly expand it's aircraft selection and time frame. In that regard it will never top SF2.

Slightly more on topic, I own FC2, but don't have either DCS title. So if I do want to upgrade it's just the one purchase for me. But I do understand why users would be annoyed that they need to pay for separate patches for each of the 3 titles if they want to keep them up to date. As someone totally unqualified to have an opinion on the matter, it seems like a user should have to pay for the upgrade once, and then it could apply to any module they have. Especially if we're talking about the DCS titles. My impression from the start is that they would be modular and could be simply added on top of each other.

Now, whether that pricing/business model would work for ED is something I can't intelligently comment on.

Sager NP8671 17.3" Notebook, i74720HQ (3.6GHz), GTX 970M (3.0GB), 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1TB 7200RPM HD, TrackIR 4, CH HOTAS and rudder pedals
#3465186 - 11/30/11 07:52 PM Re: FC3 Confirmed. [Re: malibu43]  
Force10 Offline
I'm just a
Force10  Offline
I'm just a

CA
Originally Posted By: malibu43

Hmmmm... not quite. For some, maybe yes. But not for all.

The biggest thing keeping me from switching from SF2 to FC2 is the lack of random missions or dynamic campaigns. The first flight sim I had was Graphic Sim's Hornet 2.0. That thing had 28 missions. That was it. And I couldn't have been happier with it. Korea added 28 more. Wow. 56 missions?!?! How could that ever get boring? And I knew every mission by heart...

Fast forward to now, and the bottom line is that WoX/SF2, IL-2, and F4AF have simply set the bar higher in terms of reply-ability. All three of those have dynamic campaigns in some sense. I have FC2 and got to be pretty good with the A-10 in the training missions. I went to start the campaign and got shot down on the first mission by an SA-11. Wait... now what? I just go back and fly the exact same mission and know that the first thing I need to do is hit that SA-11? I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I didn't think it would be an issue until I tried it. I would read through SimHQ forums and think "what's with all these snobs that demand dynamic campaigns?" But then I realized I was starting to climb into the same boat. The bar has been/is being raised.

So for me, the lack of random missions and dynamic campaigns is the one thing that keeps me from spending all my time in FC2.

Plus there is a group of people (what % of simmers, I don't know) that are all about 50s/60s/70s stuff. So, of course, to completely make SF2 obsolete, FC2 would have to greatly expand it's aircraft selection and time frame. In that regard it will never top SF2.

Slightly more on topic, I own FC2, but don't have either DCS title. So if I do want to upgrade it's just the one purchase for me. But I do understand why users would be annoyed that they need to pay for separate patches for each of the 3 titles if they want to keep them up to date. As someone totally unqualified to have an opinion on the matter, it seems like a user should have to pay for the upgrade once, and then it could apply to any module they have. Especially if we're talking about the DCS titles. My impression from the start is that they would be modular and could be simply added on top of each other.

Now, whether that pricing/business model would work for ED is something I can't intelligently comment on.

+1 malibu

If you were to look at the AAR section you will find tons of SF2 AAR's with hardly any at all from the DCS series. Sure it's the most complex sim out there but what can you do with it except fly the same missions over and over. A quick look at DCS and Lock on files shows 1 user made campaign for BS and 1 for A-10. Just a handful of single player missions as well. While I own both sims, I still get more enjoyment out of F4 BMS and SF2 than I will ever get out of the DCS series. For a lot of us sim pilots it's all about immersion and feel like you are in a combat zone. Until the DCS series manages to do this, my money stays in my wallet from here on.

Asus Z87 Sabertooth motherboard
Windows 7 64 bit Home edition
Intel I5 4670K @ 4.4 ghz
16 gig 1866mhz Corsair Vengence Pro memory
EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked 4gb Video Card
Intel 510 series 120gb SSD (boot drive)
Samsung 840 1TB SSD
Onboard Realtek sound

Oddball from Kelly's Heroes: "If we're late, it's cause we're dead"

#3465250 - 11/30/11 09:02 PM Re: FC3 Confirmed. [Re: Nate]  
malibu43 Offline
malibu43  Offline

SoCal
Not to continue to drift off topic, it is my humble opinion that if one were to take the FC2 level of avionics (slewable E/O weapons, engine start/stop, radar beam direction adjustment, etc...) and apply them to SF2...

... you would have the *greatest flight sim/game ever made*.

* - maybe exaggerated a litte, but I think it would certainly be one of the best.

Last edited by malibu43; 11/30/11 09:03 PM.

Sager NP8671 17.3" Notebook, i74720HQ (3.6GHz), GTX 970M (3.0GB), 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1TB 7200RPM HD, TrackIR 4, CH HOTAS and rudder pedals
#3465389 - 12/01/11 12:15 AM Re: FC3 Confirmed. [Re: Nate]  
Avimimus Offline
Two-speed Five-Blade Fan
Avimimus  Offline
Two-speed Five-Blade Fan

Canada
To be honest my biggest issues with the SF2 series are the relatively limited ground targets (in the original) and the way the campaign missions are structured (I don't get a feeling that I'm in a realistic warzone from the current mission generators). It would also have been great to have rocket dispersion. Accurately modeling which vacuum tube has failed is less important to me smile Especially as it was a visual fighting era.

#3466570 - 12/02/11 04:33 PM Re: FC3 Confirmed. [Re: Nate]  
JonK Offline
JonK  Offline

San Diego CA
Crossing my fingers that FC3 gets the same Random Mission Generator that came with A10C and BS2. If this were the case, I might actually pick it up again.

JonK - Keeping the PC chair warm since 1978
#3466642 - 12/02/11 05:47 PM Re: FC3 Confirmed. [Re: PFunk]  
Flogger23m Offline
Flogger23m  Offline

US

To me, FC2 already does. The SF series is very limited - no MP, no mission editor, poor mission creation options, ect. It feels like a very incomplete game. I did have my fun with the few titles I bought from the series though. LOMAC just needs to be opened up more to mods... there is the MIG-21 mod which is rather nice, but that has some issues. Considering that, perhaps it is opened up plenty. If ED doesn't do it I am sure the modding community will add more flyable planes.

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.