Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 23 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 22 23
#3427220 - 11/06/11 09:10 AM Re: Review: Obutto oZone Gaming Cockpit *** [Re: citizen guod]  
Taipan Offline
Sim Addict
Taipan  Offline
Sim Addict

Sydney, Australia
Originally Posted By: guod
Originally Posted By: shan2
Guod,

Chris still hasn't responded about the Simpeds? confused

Just saw this.

He hasn't! I still think he will reply and is probably on holiday.

I got my Simpeds in - only just!
I compared the BASE measurement of the simpeds to the base of the Obutto before I purchased, which makes it seem like there is enough room.

However the support bars are seriously intrusive and come inside the clearance area.

Once you measure the actual full range of the pedals, then they touch.

But I found a way around it by raising the end of the monitor stand with a piece of wood 3.5cm thick.
Plus added 2 other pieces to keep the pedals in the exact spot where both front and back get clearance of the posts. Sizes:
2 pieces of wood 20cm long, 2.5cm thick, width anything from 5-15cm will work.
Back piece 35cm long, 3.5cm thick, 7cm wide.

It works fine as long as you don't fully tighten the bottom bolts as you see in the last 2 pictures, because your seat is fully flat on the ground.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3427226 - 11/06/11 09:24 AM Re: Review: Obutto oZone Gaming Cockpit [Re: citizen guod]  
Taipan Offline
Sim Addict
Taipan  Offline
Sim Addict

Sydney, Australia
Final setup (for today anyway) I've decided to extend the stick a little.

The extension as ordered was too long, and default stick is a little too short when pushed down onto the seat I think I'd like to try prop sims with a slightly longer stick.

So I took a hacksaw to the warthog extension and cut off 1/3, put it back together and it seems good.

Only problem is elbow doesn't rest against the seat as easily, so may get a sore arm after a while. But I could always move the screw holes back towards me a bit it may help.

Another thing I haven't seen yet, I'm using double sided tape to mount the table and even the throttle. I didn't have any velcro so tried the tape and it works well!

#3428224 - 11/07/11 02:41 PM Re: Review: Obutto oZone Gaming Cockpit [Re: citizen guod]  
mhe_at Offline
mhe_at  Offline

Vienna, Austria
Looking good! biggrin

Told you the stick extension would have some downsides with the Obutto though. wink
Isn't that really high? Can you touch the acrylic table plate with the stick?

You should seriously consider velcro for the acrylic plate I think. Double-sided tape works fine for some time, but the plate is soft and will bend slightly over time, lifting the center portion of the plate off the sticky tape sooner or later. That's why I resorted to rubber feet after some time. Keeps the plate in place just as well, doesn't leave marks and it makes the plate removable in an instant.

I originally wanted to use simpeds myself, the CH pedals are just the consequence of the narrow footroom. I've already told the Obutto folks to make the lower frame wider if they ever make a version 2. They said it will be considered, but personally I don't think we should expect news concerning this matter anytime soon.

Last edited by mhe_at; 11/07/11 02:43 PM.

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.
#3428295 - 11/07/11 04:30 PM Re: Review: Obutto oZone Gaming Cockpit [Re: citizen guod]  
citizen guod Offline
Lifer
citizen guod  Offline
Lifer

Taipan - nice use of the secondary monitor in the portrait mode!

Wisdom is knowing what's enough
#3428844 - 11/08/11 04:32 AM Re: Review: Obutto oZone Gaming Cockpit [Re: citizen guod]  
Taipan Offline
Sim Addict
Taipan  Offline
Sim Addict

Sydney, Australia
Yeah mhe_at I took some of your advice and tried the stick at default smile Was nice but I have to experiment can't resist! But as default normally the base is at or above legs when not using Obutto. So with Obutto the base is actually below legs so it has room for increasing from default. Feeling quite fine with extension, although I did cut off 1/3 or 1/4 I think.

The stick doesn't touch the table at full extension although there's only 1cm spare.However I'm thinking of cutting the stick shorter a bit more, after all I'm not mounting it on a column lower than me as many have done. Also you only need a very short extension to feel the difference, and it's easier to hold if not above the elbow.

I know you said it's not more realistic, but for prop sims like Rise of Flight, the feeling I find with the extension is much closer to what I've felt in prop planes. With this length of stick (not too long), the throw is not too big to be unrealistic or difficulty to handle.

I have some rubber feet, I might try them for the table. But I don't see a need to ever take the table off except maybe for spring cleaning everything.

Guod - I have ordered the multi screen rack as well for now or the future, but I'm thinking I might leave it on that old monitor arm. If I do make it landscape, I can move the keyboard and mouse to the desk any time I need to do any "work".

#3428849 - 11/08/11 04:44 AM Re: Review: Obutto oZone Gaming Cockpit [Re: citizen guod]  
Taipan Offline
Sim Addict
Taipan  Offline
Sim Addict

Sydney, Australia
ps the guys at Obutto really do need to consider producing it with a wider base!! I don't know why they wouldn't. Who did you email?
I should email the suggestion as well, I would give up my Obutto before I give up my Simped pedals

I understand the new Saitek Pro Flight Combat rudder pedals are also quite wide.

As it is, they are working.

If there is an "Obutto 2" with better base design, I'll be ordering a replacement monitor stand. Just nice to have a bit more leg space.

#3429841 - 11/09/11 12:00 PM Re: Review: Obutto oZone Gaming Cockpit [Re: citizen guod]  
mhe_at Offline
mhe_at  Offline

Vienna, Austria
I sometimes skype with Tiago, the reseller for Europe. Very friendly guy. He is in direct contact with Chris Dunagan (Obutto creator), so I'm pretty sure my info gets passed on at least. Given the pit's growing popularity I think it comes down to the economical viability for the manufacturer - if we flight simmers only account for a small percentage of overall sales, chances are we won't get wider bases.

The Saitek pedals are both a bit too wide for the pit, especially the Combat model. They are usable, like the simpeds, but it's a far from perfect fit. I did a lot of research on this matter before buying the Obutto. The only consumer-available flightsim pedals narrow enough to fit without any problems are the CH ones, hence my decision to have them. I obviously would have gotten Simpeds given the choice.

I also submitted my simple but effective mods to them because it wouldn't be hard to make the functionalities I added available out of the box with minimal cost, but I haven't heard back yet. At one point I was even considering building a frame of aluminium profiles around the pit to attach things like the touchscreen to it. Also made Google Sketchup 3D models of my concepts and all...

A wider base would be pretty much appreciated, but a conversion kit would actually have to contain at least 3 components: the wider base itself, bent vertical pipes to accomodate for the difference in width between the current monitor mount and the pipes, a modified center table thing (again, a width thing with the pipes) and optionally a wider rubber baseplate for the base to put your pedals on.

As for the 3-screen module: you can mount only one side and also retain your portrait setup - the backplate of the VESA mount can be slid around sideways and since it uses a VESA 100x100 mount, you can mount it 90° tilted. No need for a monitor base clogging a desk ever again wink

My little scientific excursion in the pros and cons of extending the stick are not to be taken too seriously as we don't have any form of change in control forces on most sticks. So a little extension can be nice. I simply did the calculations for the length of the stick base you originally had and came up with some numbers I considered not only unrealistic but uncomfortable. But you did shorten it anyway, so it isn't that big of a deal. You also basically cramped the stick base down as hard as you could it seems from the pictures. You can do away with the whole stick extension thing once you cut the excess metal of the baseplate, you can adjust the stick height on the Obutto itself then.

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.
#3430346 - 11/09/11 10:47 PM Re: Review: Obutto oZone Gaming Cockpit [Re: citizen guod]  
mac495 Offline
mac495  Offline

Battlefield MO.
My fix for simpeds

#3430364 - 11/09/11 11:03 PM Re: Review: Obutto oZone Gaming Cockpit [Re: citizen guod]  
Taipan Offline
Sim Addict
Taipan  Offline
Sim Addict

Sydney, Australia
How?

Or should I say how much for you to make one for me? smile

#3430385 - 11/09/11 11:23 PM Re: Review: Obutto oZone Gaming Cockpit [Re: Taipan]  
mac495 Offline
mac495  Offline

Battlefield MO.
3/4 rigid conduit + welder wink

Have someone bend,cut support braces off, weld new "outriggers" and relocate supports..

Not bad to do and adds stability at the same time..

#3430395 - 11/09/11 11:48 PM Re: Review: Obutto oZone Gaming Cockpit [Re: citizen guod]  
Taipan Offline
Sim Addict
Taipan  Offline
Sim Addict

Sydney, Australia
Obutto as it was meant to be wink

#3430416 - 11/10/11 12:24 AM Re: Review: Obutto oZone Gaming Cockpit [Re: citizen guod]  
mhe_at Offline
mhe_at  Offline

Vienna, Austria
Holy sh...! I want one! jawdrop
Can you make some drawings for that? I need to do that too, there is no going back after seeing this pictures.

Also, send the drawings to Obutto. This is the single best design fix one could make.

#3430427 - 11/10/11 12:39 AM Re: Review: Obutto oZone Gaming Cockpit [Re: mhe_at]  
mac495 Offline
mac495  Offline

Battlefield MO.

#3430438 - 11/10/11 12:50 AM Re: Review: Obutto oZone Gaming Cockpit [Re: mhe_at]  
citizen guod Offline
Lifer
citizen guod  Offline
Lifer

Originally Posted By: mhe_at
Also, send the drawings to Obutto.

My email to Chris with the link is already inbound. thumbsup

#3430552 - 11/10/11 04:23 AM Re: Review: Obutto oZone Gaming Cockpit [Re: citizen guod]  
Panther Offline
Panther  Offline

So there was a really big box on my door step today. Working on it right now, just needed to review the videos to confirm installation.

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO, i7 6700k, G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB, 980TI 6GB G1 OC, Obutto oZone, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, NP TrackIR5, ***Soon*** Oculus Rift
#3430555 - 11/10/11 04:26 AM Re: Review: Obutto oZone Gaming Cockpit [Re: Panther]  
citizen guod Offline
Lifer
citizen guod  Offline
Lifer

Originally Posted By: *Panther*
So there was a really big box on my door step today. Working on it right now, just needed to review the videos to confirm installation.

Don't fall asleep in that super comfortable seat. biggrin

#3430558 - 11/10/11 04:32 AM Re: Review: Obutto oZone Gaming Cockpit [Re: citizen guod]  
Panther Offline
Panther  Offline

Got to stay awake putting it together first, pulling a lot of OT at work. These pesky jets won't stop breaking.

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO, i7 6700k, G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB, 980TI 6GB G1 OC, Obutto oZone, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, NP TrackIR5, ***Soon*** Oculus Rift
#3430592 - 11/10/11 06:11 AM Re: Review: Obutto oZone Gaming Cockpit [Re: Panther]  
Rainmaker Offline
Rainmaker  Offline

Originally Posted By: *Panther*
Got to stay awake putting it together first, pulling a lot of OT at work. These pesky jets won't stop breaking.

Damn you for ordering yours before I have gotten the ballz to spend $600 on mine. smile I am also impacient and they are out of triple monitor mounts ATM, so it has given me time to think about about it more then 100X since I would be without my triple monitors until December.

P.S. Jets suck! smile

#3430633 - 11/10/11 07:58 AM Re: Review: Obutto oZone Gaming Cockpit [Re: citizen guod]  
mhe_at Offline
mhe_at  Offline

Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted By: guod
My email to Chris with the link is already inbound. thumbsup

Nice one. Looking forward to Chris' statements concerning all those mods so far. Wouldn't be that hard to make them available as modules. The wider lower frame would really make it perfect, although I can imagine they are reluctant to do it because the packaging would have to be about 30-50% bigger in volume to have the larger frame fit into the box.

#3430978 - 11/10/11 06:01 PM Re: Review: Obutto oZone Gaming Cockpit [Re: Rainmaker]  
Panther Offline
Panther  Offline

Originally Posted By: Rainmaker

P.S. Jets suck! smile

Yes those Strikes suck ballz.

Page 9 of 23 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 22 23

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Hans Zimmer North American concert tour 2024
by NoFlyBoy. 03/16/24 10:54 PM
Steam Spring Sale.
by RedToo. 03/15/24 09:09 PM
Starship Attempt Three
by F4UDash4. 03/14/24 12:06 PM
This is one cool turbofan model
by Zamzow. 03/14/24 02:41 AM
Map Errors
by F4UDash4. 03/13/24 11:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.