Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#3430261 - 11/09/11 09:09 PM How to host a MP Game in BMS 4.32?  
d0o0m Offline
d0o0m  Offline

Hi all,

after surfing the web for an hour looking to understad how a MP session is hosted with this title, I have found the following. Can someone please advise if this article still holds true with regards to the process? If so then I will sticky this at my squadrons forums for reference.

With the abundance of different manuals and changes to the GUI, I fear setting up a simple MP session is proving more difficult than i had hoped.

Questions:
1. what ports require forwarding?
2. is there a known MP or connection host document still releventto the current GUI of BMS 4.32?
3. If I host a campaign, is all progress saved locally on the hosts machine and able to be recalled later?

Quote:
Multiplayer Connections in F4 v. 1.07
by Glenn "Sleepdoc" Kletzky, MD
This article, written by the head of the i-Beta team, will help you make effective connections in the latest release of Falcon 4.0. "Sleepdoc" welcomes your input and response. You can mail him at the link above.

Before you can connect in multiplayer Falcon 4.0, you must learn the definition of a few simple terms:

Connection-Host:

(Also called the C-Host). The connection host is the person who allows other players on the Internet to connect to his machine.

In order to be a connection-host, you tell others that you are hosting a game. Then you give your friends your IP. When you go into the comms window you simply select the appropriate comms speed for your modem (33.6 is a great choice no matter what modem you have) and then you select "internet". You will notice that when you select "Internet", a placeholder for an IP address comes up in the comms window.

DO NOT enter anything. Simply press connect. This makes you the C-host. We like to say that C-Host "connects to himself. In LAN play, you don't use IP addresses, so this concept doesn't exist. All players simply select LAN and presses connect.

Connection-Guest:

(Also called the C-Guest). The connection guests are the guys and gals who connect to the connection host. They do so by selecting 33.6 in the comms window (or whatever, I recommend 33.6 for now till you learn more sophisticated techniques) and then pick "internet". Now enter your C-host's IP address and press "connect" and you will be connected to the C-Host in the chat lobby. You can see the chat lobby by simply pressing the "comms" selection again.

As copied from a JULY 1999 article: http://www.combatsim.com/memb123/htm/july99/f4-multi1.htm

also - are the training grounds or KOTAR range which I have seen referred to a "background - persistant" feature of any TE or campaign sahred between host and client? i.e. am I able to host a TE and have my wingman and I just fly to KOTAR and practise together?

Many thanks for the clarity

Last edited by d0o0m; 11/09/11 09:20 PM.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3430606 - 11/10/11 07:07 AM Re: How to host a MP Game in BMS 4.32? [Re: d0o0m]  
Rivvern Offline
Master of Arms
Rivvern  Offline
Master of Arms

1. 2934-2937 TCP and UDP + 9987-9989 UDP for IVC.
3. If you host the game you must save the campaign manually and load that save next time you want play that campaign. I believe the clients can save the campaign as well.

Yes. Kotar range is always there in the default theater, the others i do not know.

Last edited by Rivvern; 11/10/11 07:09 AM.
#3431080 - 11/10/11 07:26 PM Re: How to host a MP Game in BMS 4.32? [Re: d0o0m]  
d0o0m Offline
d0o0m  Offline

OK. I think i need more of a play by play to host a MP session.

Basically, here is how it unfolds.

1. I set up a static IP for my gaming rig.
Reference: http://portforward.com/networking/static-win7.htm
Done.
2. I forward port ranges for Falcon 2934-2935 and also enter each into single port forwarding.
Reference: http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Linksys/WRT160Nv2/Falcon_4.htm
Done.
3. I add firewall rules to allow access for incoming connections. Two rules added - both for TCP and UDP
Reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF2biULCay8

OK... ports should be open. I check port checker and it shows closed... OK - no big deal. DCS shows closed until the game is actually launched for port 10308. Maybe this is the same.

So i catch my buddy on TS3 and we try to connect.

1. I launch Falcon BMS. Goto COMMS on top tab and click it.
2. I give the server a name "OUTLAWS" and DO NOT enter any IP information in the bar as I am the C-HOST and M-HOST. I disable IVC and click connect. I DO NOT enter anything in for CONNECTION BANDWIDTH
3. I am back at Menue page and the COMMS tab is lightly flashing. I click on it and it shows "d0o0m" in the lobby.
4. I invite my friend to join and offer him my IP address as defined by a "whats my IP?" query in Google.
5. He types it in and cannot connect.

Questions:

1. At what stage do I invite my clients to join? I do notice there are further options after I select a TE. In particular there is a Rules of Engagement window which pops up after I Committ ONLINE. Should my client be trying to join after this is settled?

2. Am I correct in assuming the ports should be visible once the server is up (as is the case with DCS A10)

3. Does KOTAR acutally ALWAYS have static targets on the ground for A2G FCR to pick up? I overflew yesterday and there was nothing there but ground texture.

I cannot achieve a screenshot of the Falcon in game windows... it keeps taking a shot of my USB mimo monitor instead so I can't show you what I am seeing - hopefully my description suffices.

Any help is greatly appreciated and perhaps this thread can help other noobs suffering the same difficulties.

Thank you!

Last edited by d0o0m; 11/10/11 07:27 PM.
#3431191 - 11/10/11 09:51 PM Re: How to host a MP Game in BMS 4.32? [Re: d0o0m]  
Rivvern Offline
Master of Arms
Rivvern  Offline
Master of Arms

Ok lets start from the beginning.

The router.
You must log onto your router and open the ports 2934-2937 TCP and UDP and Open up the ports 9987-9989 UDP for your computer. I cannot tell you exacly how this is done on your router, You dont need to set a static ip for your computer. You should be able to open ports anyway.

Hosting a MP session.
In Windows 7 you shouldn't have to open the ports in the firewall manually.

1. Open up the BMS Launcher.
2. Start the IVC Server.
3. Start Falcon.
4. Click Comms.
5. Click "New" and give your server a name.
6. Use the IP: 0.0.0.0
7. Set bandwidth. Somwehere between 500-5000 depending on your bandwidth. (We have been very successful with 2000 on host and all clients.)
8. IVC settings. Keep the checkboxes marked and use the IP: 127.0.0.1
9. Click Save.
10. Click Connect.
11. The server is now up and the clients can now connect to your server and IVC with your IP. If you dont know your IP you can find out here:
http://www.whatismyip.com/
http://www.moanmyip.com/ (for a more fun experience smile )
(IMPORTANT: Every client must set a bandwidth or the mp session will fail ingame. I recommend that everyone use the same BW value.)
12. Start the mission/campaign. The clients can now join the MP session and use the IVC for voicecomms.

#3431301 - 11/11/11 12:11 AM Re: How to host a MP Game in BMS 4.32? [Re: d0o0m]  
The Nephilim Offline
S3D GuRu
The Nephilim  Offline
S3D GuRu
Hotshot

3rd Stone from the Sun !!
Originally Posted By: d0o0m
OK. I think i need more of a play by play to host a MP session.

Basically, here is how it unfolds.

1. I set up a static IP for my gaming rig.
Reference: http://portforward.com/networking/static-win7.htm
Done.
2. I forward port ranges for Falcon 2934-2935 and also enter each into single port forwarding.
Reference: http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Linksys/WRT160Nv2/Falcon_4.htm
Done.
3. I add firewall rules to allow access for incoming connections. Two rules added - both for TCP and UDP
Reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF2biULCay8

OK... ports should be open. I check port checker and it shows closed... OK - no big deal. DCS shows closed until the game is actually launched for port 10308. Maybe this is the same.

So i catch my buddy on TS3 and we try to connect.

1. I launch Falcon BMS. Goto COMMS on top tab and click it.
2. I give the server a name "OUTLAWS" and DO NOT enter any IP information in the bar as I am the C-HOST and M-HOST. I disable IVC and click connect. I DO NOT enter anything in for CONNECTION BANDWIDTH
3. I am back at Menue page and the COMMS tab is lightly flashing. I click on it and it shows "d0o0m" in the lobby.
4. I invite my friend to join and offer him my IP address as defined by a "whats my IP?" query in Google.
5. He types it in and cannot connect.

Questions:

1. At what stage do I invite my clients to join? I do notice there are further options after I select a TE. In particular there is a Rules of Engagement window which pops up after I Committ ONLINE. Should my client be trying to join after this is settled?

2. Am I correct in assuming the ports should be visible once the server is up (as is the case with DCS A10)

3. Does KOTAR acutally ALWAYS have static targets on the ground for A2G FCR to pick up? I overflew yesterday and there was nothing there but ground texture.

I cannot achieve a screenshot of the Falcon in game windows... it keeps taking a shot of my USB mimo monitor instead so I can't show you what I am seeing - hopefully my description suffices.

Any help is greatly appreciated and perhaps this thread can help other noobs suffering the same difficulties.

Thank you!

Hi, TRY Downloading and running Port Forward.com PFChecker.. the Game does NOT need to be running in order for this Port checker to work.. in other words it DOES NOT give a FALSE Positive..it is BEST to knoiw if the PORTS ARE IN FACT OPEN OR NOT BEFORE you try and setp a MP Game..

and as for the Static IP You do need one unless your Router can Reserver and IP.. and if you can NOT reserver it is BEST to Setup a Static IP and make sure it is OUTSIDE the Range of your Routers DHCP Start & End IP as to NOT cause any conflictrs with IP's and some Routers a Static IP will NOT work if the IP is Within the DHCP Range IE Linksys..

I am an Admin at Port Forward.com..

Last edited by The Nephilim; 11/11/11 12:12 AM.

Intel i7 10700K @ 4.8GHZ / ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4AC Motherboard / Asus 1080GTX OC / SoundBlaster Z / Windows 10 64bit / Reverb G2 VR Gear. / Thrustmaster Cougar + MFD's / Buttkicker Simulation / Thrustmaster Cougar
#3431501 - 11/11/11 06:19 AM Re: How to host a MP Game in BMS 4.32? [Re: d0o0m]  
d0o0m Offline
d0o0m  Offline

is it a problem if PFChecker says my port is open but that it is unable to ping my router?
Also ... do i NEED to use IVC? I have been told to ignore it until i get used to the simulator..

Last edited by d0o0m; 11/11/11 06:20 AM.
#3431524 - 11/11/11 07:18 AM Re: How to host a MP Game in BMS 4.32? [Re: d0o0m]  
Rivvern Offline
Master of Arms
Rivvern  Offline
Master of Arms

IVC is optional. You dont have to run it.

But its easy to setup and works great!

#3431740 - 11/11/11 04:06 PM Re: How to host a MP Game in BMS 4.32? [Re: d0o0m]  
HomeFries Offline
Air Dominance Project
HomeFries  Offline
Air Dominance Project

IVC is cool, but for (at least) your first few flights, I recommend using TS3. Less coordination and variables to work out, and you will be able to communicate with everybody at all times in order to troubleshoot all ends.

-Home Fries

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
- Robert A. Heinlein

The average naval aviator, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy, and caring. These feelings just don't involve anyone else.

#3432106 - 11/11/11 11:51 PM Re: How to host a MP Game in BMS 4.32? [Re: d0o0m]  
The Nephilim Offline
S3D GuRu
The Nephilim  Offline
S3D GuRu
Hotshot

3rd Stone from the Sun !!
Originally Posted By: d0o0m
is it a problem if PFChecker says my port is open but that it is unable to ping my router?
Also ... do i NEED to use IVC? I have been told to ignore it until i get used to the simulator..

No Unless the game you Play needs to have the Host or Clients Pingable.. but Most games it will NOT matter..

Also if you have your Router NOT be able to be pingable that is a good thing, you are NOT going to get the Ping of Death..

Yes Just ignore IVC for know.. If you start getting more then 4 in your Group online and more experience with BMS.. for know just use the SimHQ TS3 Server for Comms..

Last edited by The Nephilim; 11/14/11 03:51 PM.

Intel i7 10700K @ 4.8GHZ / ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4AC Motherboard / Asus 1080GTX OC / SoundBlaster Z / Windows 10 64bit / Reverb G2 VR Gear. / Thrustmaster Cougar + MFD's / Buttkicker Simulation / Thrustmaster Cougar

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.