Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3428246 - 11/07/11 03:26 PM You Want to know how much steam is ripping you off?  
Desert Eagle Offline
Master of the Weird
Desert Eagle  Offline
Master of the Weird
Veteran

Portugal
http://www.steamprices.com/eu/topripoffs

A lot of titles cost over 50% more in the EU compared to the US.

Australia is even worse! grrr

2010-oo All Your rights belong to Me

By reading this You acknowledge that Your body and soul, including all your worldly possessions, are now property of this poster. Any unauthorized use of them will be punished.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3428255 - 11/07/11 03:32 PM Re: You Want to know how much steam is ripping you off? [Re: Desert Eagle]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Meh, don't buy from Steam then. It's called consumer choice. There are plenty of other places where consumers can buy their games.

As for me, I just wait until the games on Steam go on sale to get them unless it's that rare instance where I feel compelled to get a game on release.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#3428274 - 11/07/11 04:03 PM Re: You Want to know how much steam is ripping you off? [Re: Desert Eagle]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
Goes both ways, so not ideal to look at just one side of the coin. A couple of titles I had been interested in are 50% to 100% cheaper for European customers.

And I've seen a few European flight simulator addon developers price their products by simply swapping a Dollar sign for the Euro sign. Sticker shock of a $55 Euro addon aircraft doesn't settle in until the shopping cart does the conversion to $80 to $90+ USD.

WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.
#3428276 - 11/07/11 04:08 PM Re: You Want to know how much steam is ripping you off? [Re: Desert Eagle]  
Biggles07 Offline
Biggles07  Offline

Newcastle Upon Tyne, England.
Originally Posted By: Desert Eagle
http://www.steamprices.com/eu/topripoffs

A lot of titles cost over 50% more in the EU compared to the US.

Australia is even worse! grrr

Cripes! We are used to paying over the odds on hardware etc in 'Rip off Britain' lol, but I did not realise the disparity in software prices, its frikkin huge! eek Even worse for the Eurozone and Aussies like you say. What possible justification for this can there be in a download/digital medium even accounting for VAT differences? Call the cyber cops! Officer, arrest that...err, 'internet p*ss taking entity'.... biggrin

Bollocks. Like Panzer says however, you can always go elsewhere. Doesn't make it right, though.

EDI: Just saw adlabs comment that the converse can be true....but its still well dodgy.

Last edited by Biggles07; 11/07/11 04:09 PM.

"I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals".

Sir Winston Churchill
#3428279 - 11/07/11 04:12 PM Re: You Want to know how much steam is ripping you off? [Re: Desert Eagle]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
And how do we know these pricing disparities are coming from Steam? Perhaps it's the game publishers themselves or the commerce laws from different countries that are the main causes?

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 11/07/11 04:13 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#3428288 - 11/07/11 04:25 PM Re: You Want to know how much steam is ripping you off? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Biggles07 Offline
Biggles07  Offline

Newcastle Upon Tyne, England.
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
And how do we know these pricing disparities are coming from Steam? Perhaps it's the game publishers themselves or the commerce laws from different countries that are the main causes?

This is possible of course Panzer, maybe its a combination of these factors. do you know of any country or Eurozone specific 'commerce laws' that could be applicable and explain the difference? Not familiar with the law at all in this area. I find it highly unlikely in explaining the entire disparity on its own, but maybe its possible. In any event I'm sure steam is getting a nice slice of the pie. Like yourself however, I only really buy things on sale.....and to be fair I've had a few good bargains.

"I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals".

Sir Winston Churchill
#3428313 - 11/07/11 04:59 PM Re: You Want to know how much steam is ripping you off? [Re: Desert Eagle]  
xclusiv8 Offline
xclusiv8  Offline

If you want cheap games buy them @ gamersgate.com. I buy all my stuff there. They've got crazy sales all the time.

#3428321 - 11/07/11 05:10 PM Re: You Want to know how much steam is ripping you off? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Dogsbd Offline
Dogsbd  Offline

SC, USA

That is what I'm betting.

When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic. ~Benjamin Franklin

"The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is." Winston Churchill

ASRock M3A770DE AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Athlon II X4 640 Propus 3.0GHz Quad-Core CPU
Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5
G.Skill Ripjaws Series 4GB 240-Pin SDRAM DDR3 1600
Samsung 1TB 7200 SATA 3.0Gb/s HD x2
#3428338 - 11/07/11 05:31 PM Re: You Want to know how much steam is ripping you off? [Re: Desert Eagle]  
PFunk Offline
SimHQ Redneck
PFunk  Offline
SimHQ Redneck
Veteran

N. Central Texas
Considering the disparity in consumer transaction laws (sales taxes, VAT taxes, tariffs, regulations, etc.) I'm surprised it's not worse.

Some places are cheaper to do busIness in than others.

"A little luck & a little government is necessary to get by, but only a fool places his complete trust in either one." - PJ O'Rourke

www.sixmanfootball.com
#3428341 - 11/07/11 05:41 PM Re: You Want to know how much steam is ripping you off? [Re: Desert Eagle]  
Rick.50cal Offline
Lifer
Rick.50cal  Offline
Lifer

Could be taxation issues. Could be extra cost of processing credit card transactions from certain countries over others...I know that credit card processing companies really piss off the majority of small retailers at least several times a year.

Then again, it also could be the marketing department is sitting around on it's lazy butt and just picking a number that sounds nice "hmm...something with a 99 in it? Yea!" and then tacking on whatever currency symbol! Probably not, but it does make you wonder.

Years ago, maybe around 2002? I ordered a racing sim called "Swedish Touring Car Championship", I think it was made by DICE maybe? Anyway, it wasn't being imported to north america, and I'd loved the demo so I really wanted to buy the full game for the extra tracks. I finally found an online retailer in England who sold it, but they said "uh, we only ship in Europe", and I told them it wasn't available here and I was willing to pay the extra for shipping, so they thankfully processed it. Anyway, at that time a typical PC racing game cost about $45-55 Canadian. My cost for STCC when it arrived in the mail? About $120 Canadian!!! Costly, and I started to doubt whether it was worth the price...but upon doing my first race in it, I was pleased and felt it was still worth that price. Drove that sim for 4 years.

POLITICS, WAR, ECONOMY, CONTROVERSY! and other heated discussions and debates in the PWEC sub-forum at the bottom of this forum main page. See you there!
#3428347 - 11/07/11 05:50 PM Re: You Want to know how much steam is ripping you off? [Re: Desert Eagle]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Perhaps prices are normal everywhere else but we're just getting a hell of a discount in the US?
Yea Steam!
kneeldown

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#3428354 - 11/07/11 06:00 PM Re: You Want to know how much steam is ripping you off? [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Raw Kryptonite
Perhaps prices are normal everywhere else but we're just getting a hell of a discount in the US?

One thing that is beyond any dispute is that compared to other forms of entertainment like movies, concerts, sporting events, etc., the cost of pc games over the past 20 years has been incredibly well below any inflation level.

#3428393 - 11/07/11 06:38 PM Re: You Want to know how much steam is ripping you off? [Re: Desert Eagle]  
Husar Offline
Husar  Offline

NRW, Germany
The publisher mostly choose the prices on Steam.
The same publishers that make sure prices everywhere else are pretty high as well.

The good thing is/are the sales on Steam, you usually don't find such sales in electronic stores where games usually cost roughly the same and new PS3 games for example are often 70...
Concerning the latter, I often order from the UK, as they're usually 20-50 cheaper there...

I usually think about what a game is worth to me and then wait until I can get it for that price, not really problematic.
Part of the problem may be people who just accept these prices and buy anyway, the whole consumer choice narrative seems more like a US thing to me, in Europe they may find more people willing to pay the higher price and see no reason to reduce it. Just a guess though.

#3428401 - 11/07/11 06:46 PM Re: You Want to know how much steam is ripping you off? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Hartford688 Offline
Hartford688  Offline

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Meh, don't buy from Steam then. It's called consumer choice. There are plenty of other places where consumers can buy their games.

As for me, I just wait until the games on Steam go on sale to get them unless it's that rare instance where I feel compelled to get a game on release.

+1

#3428410 - 11/07/11 06:50 PM Re: You Want to know how much steam is ripping you off? [Re: Husar]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Husar
in Europe they may find more people willing to pay the higher price and see no reason to reduce it. Just a guess though.

Why does Apple sell iPad 2's for $500 USD? Because they can. wink

#3428417 - 11/07/11 06:55 PM Re: You Want to know how much steam is ripping you off? [Re: Desert Eagle]  
Rakov Offline
Rakov  Offline

Yes Steam is weird.

I now buy more games.

But I now never rarely buy games on release. Shogun 2, a game I would have usually preordered, because of my vast catolog of buying "more games", has not QUITE hit the price point for me at $29.99. I'm hungry for it, but I'll wait til a nice sale. There is no way I won't own it, but I can wait to play it. Steam taught me that. Before, if you don't pick it up in the first 6 months, it my disappear from shelves. Now that's never a problem, it just gets more affordable. I THINK the gaming industry has more of my money, but I can't tell for sure...

#3428423 - 11/07/11 07:01 PM Re: You Want to know how much steam is ripping you off? [Re: Rakov]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted By: Rakov
But I now never rarely buy games on release. Shogun 2, a game I would have usually preordered, because of my vast catolog of buying "more games", has not QUITE hit the price point for me at $29.99.

FYI, Shogun 2 has now been reduced to 29.99 on Steam.

#3428431 - 11/07/11 07:12 PM Re: You Want to know how much steam is ripping you off? [Re: Desert Eagle]  
Cworth Offline
Cworth  Offline

Pennsylvania
You want to get something on Steam for US prices...no problem.

We do this for a friend of ours who lives in the Netherlands.

We buy the game on Steam at US Price and then gift the game to him.He then sends me the cost of the game through Paypal.

There paid US prices for the game you wanted.Just make sure it is someone you really trust and your good to go.

People who think they know everything are very annoying to those of us who do.
#3428489 - 11/07/11 08:20 PM Re: You Want to know how much steam is ripping you off? [Re: Desert Eagle]  
U-96 Offline
%!#Stack Overflow#!%
U-96  Offline
%!#Stack Overflow#!%
Hotshot

If you think Steam is bad, try buying anything from Adobe...

#3428523 - 11/07/11 09:02 PM Re: You Want to know how much steam is ripping you off? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Dick Dastardly Offline
I Don't Care Bear
Dick Dastardly  Offline
I Don't Care Bear

Earth
Originally Posted By: Rakov
But I now never rarely buy games on release. Shogun 2, a game I would have usually preordered, because of my vast catolog of buying "more games", has not QUITE hit the price point for me at $29.99.

FYI, Shogun 2 has now been reduced to 29.99 on Steam.

Or $25 for Shogun + 2 of the DLC here: wink http://www.getgamesgo.com/category/total-war

FWIW, if you order from there you can just take your key and activate/download through steam, since the game uses steam wherever you purchase it, digital or DVD.

Suicide is man's way of telling god "You can't fire me, I quit!"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.