Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#3426584 - 11/05/11 03:35 PM Re: Black Shark 2 Released - DCS A-10C Patch News [Re: kramer]  
bogusheadbox Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke
bogusheadbox  Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke

You are a moderator and tester for ED.

A vocal minority..... Maybe you should downplay things some more. 100+ page thread is pretty conducive to ED stirring the pot.

Add in fact other moderators have (as best as they can for being a moderator on the ED forums) alluded to the fact that the lack of correspondance from ED in relation to this direction may not have been the best way to go.

Customer service......

Nil in this instance.

Seems to be a difference in what you are saying and reality.

A lot of people who said they are happy to pay have also said they are not entirely happy with the way ED went about it.

Just answer me this, why were we not told?
Where is the changelog?

Fighterops...

The only TRUE Stealth crowd funded game.

Devs said there was stuff there, but you just couldn't see it.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#3426601 - 11/05/11 03:48 PM Re: Black Shark 2 Released - DCS A-10C Patch News [Re: bogusheadbox]  
159th_Viper Offline
Flyin' it like I Stole it......Always!
159th_Viper  Offline

Texas, USA
Originally Posted By: bogusheadbox

Yes, and? What's that got to do with the price of eggs? I call it like I see it, irrespective of the role I play over at ED.

A vocal minority..... Maybe you should downplay things some more....

Not necessary. Unlike you, I have actually had a very close look at the thread. Of the 960-odd posts, trust me when I say that the voices of dissent are indeed a vocal minority. But hey - prove me wrong: Mere allegations are not enough other than to vamp up the nuisance factor wink

Where is the changelog?

I thought I made it clear that I would not be discussing the BS2 release?

Again, my issue lies with my inability to understand why it's necessary to go on and on and on and on and on ad nauseum. It seems as though I'm not going to be getting an answer anytime soon though.

I'll move right along in the interim though - it's been fun reading

Airframe #36
159th Guards Aviation Regiment
"Airspeed, Altitude, or Brains; you always need at least two."
#3426608 - 11/05/11 03:56 PM Re: Black Shark 2 Released - DCS A-10C Patch News [Re: bogusheadbox]  
GrayGhost Offline
Hotshot
GrayGhost  Offline
Hotshot

A vocal minority..... Maybe you should downplay things some more. 100+ page thread is pretty conducive to ED stirring the pot.

It is a vocal minority. We've seen them before, and we know what they look like. Regardless, it isn't as if ED is not listening. Since you've said that you've been around for a long time, I think you also know that ED listens quietly. smile

Quote:
Customer service......

Nil in this instance.

Seems to be a difference in what you are saying and reality.

A lot of people who said they are happy to pay have also said they are not entirely happy with the way ED went about it.

I'm not certain what you refer to in terms of customer service. We've tried to answer questions. And there are also plenty of people who were just plain entirely happy about it. I'm not trying to say people who are complaining aren't there, I'm just saying you're overestimating the amount of dissatisfaction with respect to those who are pleased.

Quote:

Because ED listened to the community (zing!). You know what I'm talking about - ED announcing things and then being held to 'promises'. Would it have been better to do it differently? I don't know. One way OR the other the same thing would have happened, with some minor differences, IMHO, but I'm just guessing.

Anyway, all of this has been said again and again - do we need to keep going in circles?

--
44th VFW
#3426613 - 11/05/11 04:00 PM Re: Black Shark 2 Released - DCS A-10C Patch News [Re: GrayGhost]  
159th_Viper Offline
159th_Viper  Offline

Texas, USA
Originally Posted By: GrayGhost

Anyway, all of this has been said again and again - do we need to keep going in circles?

That's what I asked biggrin

Honestly GG - If you manage to get a decent answer where I failed I'll send you a bottle of 10yr old Single Malt - I kid you not!

Airframe #36
#3426645 - 11/05/11 04:25 PM Re: Black Shark 2 Released - DCS A-10C Patch News [Re: kramer]  
bogusheadbox Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke
bogusheadbox  Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke

LOL - The reason we keep going around in circles is that some people are peeved (rightly or not in various peoples minds)
Then people who say they have the asnwers post retorts that do not cover the answers.
Then thos exact people can become all god and mighty and using whatever experience (i am not allowed to mention) cover the tracks of decisions that have been made that created these long discussions.

@ grey, again another good post, if you keep this up, i am going to have to change my opinion of you.

I do beleive it could have been handled better. No promises needed to be made, to which us the fanatical kidnapper community would have held employees and moderators (especially you Gghost) to ransom.

All ed would have to do is just announce (before hand) something to this effect - of course, some time and cosideration could have been fused in with this reaponse.

"To the community, ED are confirming an upgrade to DCS Black shark to bring it in line with DCS:a10c warhog. Changes to the oroginal DCS Product contain X, y, Z. As implementaion of black shark into the DCS A:10 we also decided that a greater sound engine and X and Y and Z would be needed to make black shark as high fidelity as possible.

It is our regret that all this work has posed a bigger task than originally anticipated and the costs have far exceeded our budgets. We here at ED beleive in the integration of the DCS world and beleive wholeheartedly in the DCS concept. Therefore we have decided to undertake all this extra work. This may have a cost repurcussion to the end user and we are working to offer a full new package at X amount for those who do not have DCS Black shark and for those that do, our devlopment team have worked hard on creating an ujpgrade for a reduced price of Y

I trust you will enjoy the major effort and work ED have put into this and we would like to thank you for your custom."

Something like that may have gone down very well. It would have for me. (And it took me 2 minutes to write)

That my friends is customer service.

Would it stop whining. NO, Does it offer promises, Well no with a little re-working. Does it thank the community - yes. Does it provide customer service - yes. Would it have limited the whining,..... I think so

Ohhh and GGhost.... IF viper can deflate his ego, i think you will find he owes you some scotch.

NOT HARD FELLAS

Last edited by bogusheadbox; 11/05/11 04:26 PM.

Fighterops...

#3426651 - 11/05/11 04:36 PM Re: Black Shark 2 Released - DCS A-10C Patch News [Re: kramer]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
^^^^^ Hit the nail on the head

The reason we are going on and on and on and on and on and on ......... is because we are receiving no information, no information, no information, no information, no information.

Viper pretty much sums it up, happy to talk about anything and everything DCS/ED related....apart from BS2!

Originally Posted By: "159th_Viper"
I thought I made it clear that I would not be discussing the BS2 release?

...and this is in a thread called "Black Shark 2 Released - DCS A-10C Patch News" - It's hardly off-topic!

On the Eighth day God created Paratroopers and the Devil stood to attention.
#3426653 - 11/05/11 04:40 PM Re: Black Shark 2 Released - DCS A-10C Patch News [Re: bogusheadbox]  
159th_Viper Offline
159th_Viper  Offline

Texas, USA

Ohhh and GGhost.... IF viper can deflate his ego, i think you will find he owes you some scotch.

Well that depends - are you gonna stop moaning now? And no, Ego has nothing to do with this and I would request that if you do have something personal to address to me, then do it via PM and not on an open forum - I would of thought that it is the very least that you can do to conform with common decency and a modicum of respect. I am honestly getting tired of these veiled attempts at 'personal attacks', even more so after you were requested by an admin of these very boards to cease.

Common sense - Yes, most definitely.

Airframe #36
#3426654 - 11/05/11 04:41 PM Re: Black Shark 2 Released - DCS A-10C Patch News [Re: kramer]  
GrayGhost Offline
Hotshot
GrayGhost  Offline
Hotshot

@Paradaz: What information are you looking for?

Last edited by GrayGhost; 11/05/11 04:41 PM.

--
44th VFW
#3426656 - 11/05/11 04:44 PM Re: Black Shark 2 Released - DCS A-10C Patch News [Re: Paradaz]  
159th_Viper Offline
159th_Viper  Offline

Texas, USA
Originally Posted By: Paradaz

Viper pretty much sums it up, happy to talk about anything and everything DCS/ED related....apart from BS2!

And why is my input on the subject so important to you? I am not here to feed your appetite for triviality wink

...and this is in a thread called "Black Shark 2 Released - DCS A-10C Patch News" - It's hardly off-topic!

Yes and nobody said it was. What I have alluded to is the fact that your same argument expressed thirty times in the same thread just adds to the noise-nuisance-factor and nothing more. But please, don't let my opinion sway you. By all means, rant on.

Airframe #36
#3426659 - 11/05/11 04:56 PM Re: Black Shark 2 Released - DCS A-10C Patch News [Re: 159th_Viper]  
bogusheadbox Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke
bogusheadbox  Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke

Originally Posted By: 159th_Viper
Well that depends - are you gonna stop moaning now? And no, Ego has nothing to do with this and I would request that if you do have something personal to address to me, then do it via PM and not on an open forum - I would of thought that it is the very least that you can do to conform with common decency and a modicum of respect. I am honestly getting tired of these veiled attempts at 'personal attacks', even more so after you were requested by an admin of these very boards to cease.

Common sense - Yes, most definitely.

Ahhh Viper - you do me no justice. I will confirm to you that if i was to personally attack you on this forum, you will surely know abou it. But calling things as i see it is not me attacking you.

Quite clearly, from your very first sentance in your retort, and by the way you respond to others, is the reason why i mentioned EGO. Quite frankly you are getting off pretty lightly considering..

Respect is earned, not given........

So, now that is over with, what do you think of the rest of my post ? Any comments ?......

Last edited by bogusheadbox; 11/05/11 04:57 PM.

Fighterops...

#3426661 - 11/05/11 05:00 PM Re: Black Shark 2 Released - DCS A-10C Patch News [Re: bogusheadbox]  
159th_Viper Offline
159th_Viper  Offline

Texas, USA
what do you think of the rest of my post ? Any comments ?......

Absolutely bugger-all, apart from the fact that it is good to see a post from yourgoodself that does not contain a BS moan/rant. Let's see how long you can keep it up for.

With that, I bid you adieu smile

Airframe #36
#3426664 - 11/05/11 05:02 PM Re: Black Shark 2 Released - DCS A-10C Patch News [Re: kramer]  
GrayGhost Offline
Hotshot
GrayGhost  Offline
Hotshot

Viper deals with things firmly. You can perceive this as ego, but he's just telling you things how they are, too. Same coin, other side. He's just saying that he's not commenting on BS2 one way or another and that should be respected. The arguing needs to stop because it is getting personal.

We can engage in back-and-forth but neither will the moderators of this forum appreciate it, nor will it actually get anyone anywhere. At this point it's starting to degenerate into baiting - it's not gotten very far yet, but it can slip quite quickly, so ... can we all give it a rest?

Last edited by GrayGhost; 11/05/11 05:04 PM.

--
44th VFW
#3426666 - 11/05/11 05:10 PM Re: Black Shark 2 Released - DCS A-10C Patch News [Re: 159th_Viper]  
bogusheadbox Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke
bogusheadbox  Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke

Originally Posted By: 159th_Viper
what do you think of the rest of my post ? Any comments ?......

yourgoodself that does not contain a BS moan/rant. Let's see how long you can keep it up for.

With that, I bid you adieu smile

You are right / wrong Grey GHost. Someone is definitely baiting. And definitely not showing due professiolism.

I just don't understand it. Some will be happy to shut down my quibbles right away with non-justifications and then when asked why or for reasons of betterment (that that particular person requested) they just bait and run away.....

Noooooooo.......

You are defeinitely not showing the good of goods.

LOL Adieu sir, please come back when you wish to extrapolate more.

This is not an attack, just a kind request. Perhaps you could indulge a little more in the courtesy side. Adieu, Adieu Adieu.

LOL

Fighterops...

#3426741 - 11/05/11 06:45 PM Re: Black Shark 2 Released - DCS A-10C Patch News [Re: bogusheadbox]  
kylania Offline
kylania  Offline

Something like that may have gone down very well. It would have for me. (And it took me 2 minutes to write)

That's exactly what they said for 24 hours after releasing the game. There's no reason that saying it 24 hours before releasing the game would have changed anything. They've said everything you wanted them to say, but you appear to not have noticed.

If a thread is 100 posts long, people should probably read it instead of just posting to it, if they had they would see that everything they are asking about had already been answered.

#3426794 - 11/05/11 07:50 PM Re: Black Shark 2 Released - DCS A-10C Patch News [Re: GrayGhost]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK

Pretty much what 'bogusheadbox' said in his last post, information regarding the changelog, there is no way on Earth ED haven't got one, confirmation of whether BS1 will get a final patch to fix any outstanding issues etc. I've asked the question before on these forums and from yourself or Ethereal is a reply based on your own opinion which doesn't really confirm it or not.

Considering that I bought DCS BS on release, did the beta purchase with A10 etc, I'm really interested as to what I'm really getting for my upgrade money. I essentially bought the new engine with DCS A10, I bought and have flown BS so I'm keen to see the full list of additions to see (in my mind) whether it's really worth the money when I have already paid for approximately 95% of BS2 already. No-one else can answer that for me, so I'd like to see for myself and make the judgement call of whether I think it will be of real value.

I think the biggest issue in this whole thing is that up until now the announcements from ED regarding patches, updates and the DCS modules have been communicated very well, so a lot of people are wondering why this came out of the blue like it did. I mean, lets be honest here, ED would have known at quite an early stage that the work required was a lot more than anticipated/planned for and the update would have to be payware....it's not like this was something they only decided on 2 weeks ago, so why the radio silence and why are they so seemingly reluctant to give us some information. Considering a changelog has being part of every update they've ever done so far if I remember correctly and often well in advance of the actual release is the reason it's a surprise to a lot of people.

Like bogushead's post about them publishing some info, it wouldn't have taken much and would undoubtedly have stopped a lot of people including myself from even having to question their integrity. It seems like ED are unsure of how the future of these modules are going to pan out based on this upgrade release and the fact that they have stated they'd like to see it done better in future. For a developer that has additional plans for the series, it sounds to me like they're really struggling with the way forward and I can't believe it wasn't blue-printed properly with a good, achievable plan in place.

Now, although I'm an IT Systems Integration Engineer and I know the various processes that software developement goes through, I also know that things can go wrong, things can be under-estimated and problems can change the direction of a product, however I don't claim and never have that it gives any foresight into games/simulators etc but I can't really believe that ED haven't or hadn't mapped this out properly in DCS BS's design based on their claim to be making a simulator that would have additional modules as future releases.
The obvious route is to create the engine (the first being the one which hosted BS) and add the platforms as modules but this obviously isn't the way they are doing it based on what has happened with the complete overhaul for A10c. It's the same reason why myself and many others on these boards and the ED boards are questioning how the other modules will integrate in the future because it doesn't take the brains of an arch-bishop to realise that if future modules replicate what has happened with this first integration upgrade/release it's going to be a very expensive way of business because every single module that exists will need a whole load of work done on it to be compatible with the associated engine overhaul.

Yeah, $20 for a BS upgrade is nothing, but that will rise sharply when BS3 is required, A10c v2 and DCS [F18 or whatever] needs updating for the next platform and engine.......and from your own words many times over, no-one should expect the work to be done for free. Personally, I'd expect the engine to be the bulk of the complexity, with the platforms being the modules and require minimal tweaking to integrate each release. For what was originally pencilled in as a 9 month schedule per platform, that's surely the only way it could have been done.

Now all I'm seeing are words and sentences from ED and the mods such as 'hoped', 'ambition', 'never promised' and that its actually 'our own fault'. That's not ideal from a company that really should have had this planned a little more thorough. If I'm way off the mark here then so be it, but the reason I may off on a tangent is because I have no information, proof or official communication that says otherwise and I'm using common-sense as a base for how a modular, 9 month cycle per platform simulator release could have/should have worked.

#3426818 - 11/05/11 08:17 PM Re: Black Shark 2 Released - DCS A-10C Patch News [Re: Paradaz]  
GrayGhost Offline
Hotshot
GrayGhost  Offline
Hotshot

Official communication on the matter of future software releases and updates was posted by EB1. I believe that I copied and pasted here, or at least someone did, but perhaps it wasn't this thread.

The gist of it was this: ED acknowledges that the way this upgrade was done is not a sustainable way of doing things in the future, and they're looking into other ways of doing things.
Wags posted that they are looking into integrating all the DCS software - but as always, no promises.

Regarding the changelog, I've already addressed that. That is all the information that is available at present, along with a bunch of answers to some of the questions you asked interspersed in this thread and others.

Now all I'm seeing are words and sentences from ED and the mods such as 'hoped', 'ambition', 'never promised' and that its actually 'our own fault'. That's not ideal from a company that really should have had this planned a little more thorough. If I'm way off the mark here then so be it, but the reason I may off on a tangent is because I have no information, proof or official communication that says otherwise and I'm using common-sense as a base for how a modular, 9 month cycle per platform simulator release could have/should have worked.

--
44th VFW
#3426869 - 11/05/11 09:14 PM Re: Black Shark 2 Released - DCS A-10C Patch News [Re: Paradaz]  
bogusheadbox Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke
bogusheadbox  Offline
Opinionated Aussie Bloke

Pretty much what 'bogusheadbox' said in his last post, information regarding the changelog, there is no way on Earth ED haven't got one, confirmation of whether BS1 will get a final patch to fix any outstanding issues etc. I've asked the question before on these forums and from yourself or Ethereal is a reply based on your own opinion which doesn't really confirm it or not.

Considering that I bought DCS BS on release, did the beta purchase with A10 etc, I'm really interested as to what I'm really getting for my upgrade money. I essentially bought the new engine with DCS A10, I bought and have flown BS so I'm keen to see the full list of additions to see (in my mind) whether it's really worth the money when I have already paid for approximately 95% of BS2 already. No-one else can answer that for me, so I'd like to see for myself and make the judgement call of whether I think it will be of real value.

I think the biggest issue in this whole thing is that up until now the announcements from ED regarding patches, updates and the DCS modules have been communicated very well, so a lot of people are wondering why this came out of the blue like it did. I mean, lets be honest here, ED would have known at quite an early stage that the work required was a lot more than anticipated/planned for and the update would have to be payware....it's not like this was something they only decided on 2 weeks ago, so why the radio silence and why are they so seemingly reluctant to give us some information. Considering a changelog has being part of every update they've ever done so far if I remember correctly and often well in advance of the actual release is the reason it's a surprise to a lot of people.

Like bogushead's post about them publishing some info, it wouldn't have taken much and would undoubtedly have stopped a lot of people including myself from even having to question their integrity. It seems like ED are unsure of how the future of these modules are going to pan out based on this upgrade release and the fact that they have stated they'd like to see it done better in future. For a developer that has additional plans for the series, it sounds to me like they're really struggling with the way forward and I can't believe it wasn't blue-printed properly with a good, achievable plan in place.

Now, although I'm an IT Systems Integration Engineer and I know the various processes that software developement goes through, I also know that things can go wrong, things can be under-estimated and problems can change the direction of a product, however I don't claim and never have that it gives any foresight into games/simulators etc but I can't really believe that ED haven't or hadn't mapped this out properly in DCS BS's design based on their claim to be making a simulator that would have additional modules as future releases.
The obvious route is to create the engine (the first being the one which hosted BS) and add the platforms as modules but this obviously isn't the way they are doing it based on what has happened with the complete overhaul for A10c. It's the same reason why myself and many others on these boards and the ED boards are questioning how the other modules will integrate in the future because it doesn't take the brains of an arch-bishop to realise that if future modules replicate what has happened with this first integration upgrade/release it's going to be a very expensive way of business because every single module that exists will need a whole load of work done on it to be compatible with the associated engine overhaul.

Yeah, $20 for a BS upgrade is nothing, but that will rise sharply when BS3 is required, A10c v2 and DCS [F18 or whatever] needs updating for the next platform and engine.......and from your own words many times over, no-one should expect the work to be done for free. Personally, I'd expect the engine to be the bulk of the complexity, with the platforms being the modules and require minimal tweaking to integrate each release. For what was originally pencilled in as a 9 month schedule per platform, that's surely the only way it could have been done.

Beautifully written

Fighterops...

#3427114 - 11/06/11 03:23 AM Re: Black Shark 2 Released - DCS A-10C Patch News [Re: Paradaz]  
citizen guod Offline
Lifer
citizen guod  Offline
Lifer

I'm really interested as to what I'm really getting for my upgrade money.

List: http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3427070/Black_Shark_2_List_of_Improvem.html

Wisdom is knowing what's enough
#3427240 - 11/06/11 11:04 AM Re: Black Shark 2 Released - DCS A-10C Patch News [Re: kramer]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
Thankyou

#3428038 - 11/07/11 06:24 AM Re: Black Shark 2 Released - DCS A-10C Patch News [Re: kramer]  
BeachAV8R Offline
Lifer
BeachAV8R  Offline
Lifer

KCLT
I'd encourage everyone to let the moderators moderate. Words like "BS", "rant", "moaning", and similar from all sides are inflammatory and don't lead to any useful dialog.

Spirited discussion is welcomed. Insults and innuendos are not.

Carry on.

And FWIW - $20 isn't a big deal to me (I realize it may be for others) and the envisioned scenario of having to pay to get each older module up to current standards seems to me to be recognized by ED as not being an ideal scenario. Those boys are smart over there and despite rumors to the contrary, they listen, digest, and try to work with their customers to provide a quality product while sustaining the viability of their company. I don't think complaining about how you perceive the business model works or doesn't work for you is out of bounds as long as the comments and questions are legitimate and respectful. And I would think it would be in ED's best interest to keep exchanges constructive and factual as well.

In the end, some might just have to agree to disagree, make their points known, and move on.

Good luck!

I'm about to dive full bore into DCS A-10C though...I have a nice, shiny brand new Warthog sitting on my desk.

Woot! wink

BeachAV8R

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.