Forums » Land & Armor Combat » Tactical Simulations - General » Fear 3 Active Topics You are not logged in. [Log In] [Register User]
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#3424949 - 11/03/11 04:33 PM Fear 3
PanzerMeyer Online   centaurian
Effervescent Libertarian - SimHQ Supporter
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Loc: Miami, FL USA
How many of you have played this? I recently got it for a great price and I've been playing the Cooperative story mode where one player is the "Point Man" and the other player is Paxton Fettel.

While I definitely like the Coop mode, I have to say that I don't like the overt "consolization" I've seen in certain aspects. First of all, the graphics look rather bland and dull but I realize that's probably due to a texture size limitation to accomodate consoles. Heck, games like Metro 2033 and Stalker Call of Pripyat BLOW AWAY the graphics in Fear 3.

I also don't like the frantic high paced action in many of the set piece gun battles. I remember how the original Fear actually allowed for a lot of stalking, moving in shadows, hitting guys from behind, etc. There's really none of that here.

Anyway, the game is worth the 21 bucks I paid for it but I'm glad I didn't pay full price.

#3424966 - 11/03/11 04:52 PM Re: Fear 3 [Re: PanzerMeyer]
Mace71 Online   grrr
Dread pirate Mace
Veteran

Loc: Darlington, UK.
I've got it but only played in SP and really like it but then I've liked all the Fear games. I was pleased with the graphics actually.

The AI are pretty good too as they will sometimes flank, run at you or run away if over powered.

"There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing." Aristotle

#3425496 - 11/04/11 09:18 AM Re: Fear 3 [Re: PanzerMeyer]
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Loc: Space Coast, USA
Yes, the "oh a large area that's been carefully staged, so battle incoming" pattern is a bit repetitive. Also, the stories for FEAR 2 and 3 weren't as good as the original. The graphics aren't as good as some others, but generally that's the tradeoff for getting great performance. Crysis 2 with the DX11 upgrade definitely has better graphics, but frankly it reminds me of playing FEAR 2 and 3!

I don't know if they're planning a FEAR 4, but I think at this point it would be a wasted effort. There's nowhere left to go, nothing left to do.

The Jedi Master

#3425576 - 11/04/11 10:48 AM Re: Fear 3 [Re: Jedi Master]
JAMF Offline
Frugalite & P-38 fan

Loc: The Netherlands
Originally Posted By: Jedi Master
Also, the stories for FEAR 2 and 3 weren't as good as the original.
They removed the lean in FEAR 2 too, to force the player into a more direct approach. Basically, they took away the way I played the game; cautiously. So I didn't buy them.

#3425579 - 11/04/11 10:50 AM Re: Fear 3 [Re: PanzerMeyer]
PanzerMeyer Online   centaurian
Effervescent Libertarian - SimHQ Supporter
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Loc: Miami, FL USA
The original Fear you can easily play like a Splinter Cell game. Not so with the Fear sequels.

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:

Moderator:  EinsteinEP, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Old stealth technology
by Mdore
Today at 06:32 AM
X-52 alternate programming software?
by IamFritz
Today at 03:35 AM
Hlep Patching - Can't Find Install
by 1.8t
Yesterday at 09:02 PM
Mechanical Keyboards 2014
by Bodhammer
Yesterday at 07:57 PM
State-of-the-art EAW video
by pato_mareao
Yesterday at 04:03 PM
Your "Wonder Years" song........
by WangoTango
Yesterday at 03:55 PM
VEAO Hawk T.1A....
by BeachAV8R
Yesterday at 02:39 PM
16SEP - Steam Daily Deals
by boomerang10
Yesterday at 02:27 PM
Basic 1.40 installation available
by MrJelly
Yesterday at 01:33 PM
A2A SPITFIRE SKINS UPDATES
by Tom_Weiss
Yesterday at 01:27 PM

Forum Use Agreement | Privacy Statement
Copyright 1997-2014, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.